Old October 28, 2000, 15:06   #1
Black Sunrise
Prince

Local Time: 01:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Bragging
So I found this bug. When you already have 500 bases, the computer won't let you found any new ones.

I figured out how to get around it, though. I'm testing it right now. Gift your submissive pactmates colony pods (hovertank pods are ok, as are destroyer pods). Let them found the cities, then buy them.
Black Sunrise
Old October 28, 2000, 16:30   #2
stuntman19
Prince

500 bases sounds like a micro-management nightmare?
Aren't there some series efficiency issues there? I'm just wondering I've never got above 50 bases or so on huge map myself, but seems as though that was a problem?
Old October 28, 2000, 16:54   #3
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010

This was discussed back in the old OWO forums.

A poster said (don't remember who - CEO Bernard, maybe?) that if you edit the faction.txt file to add base names to the faction you want to play, there is no limit (one of the early testers added over 2000).

I've never tried it - don't have the patience. My max is 115 or so.

Googlie
Old October 28, 2000, 17:09   #4
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

I could *not* live with 500 bases - how long did that game take per turn? My max is usually around 50 or so, maybe slightly more conquered. I guess it would be a question of base names - once it has gone through all the defaults, and all the generic ones (Alpha Sector etc.) that would be the limit, the game wouldn't know what to do....

edit: I wonder what the game would do if two factions got past their own basenames, and both started on the generic ones at the same time? They could take the name in the order they established the base, but it would be confusing.....
[This message has been edited by mark13 (edited October 28, 2000).]
Old October 28, 2000, 20:50   #5
Black Sunrise
Prince

Well, my base upkeep takes twice as long as moving all my men (couple hundred gravship clean terriformers, at least), and moves are progressing at about 1 per day.
Yeah, it takes me about 45 minutes to make a turn.
This is the game I'm painting everything red. My score is somewhere over 36,000 I have about a million credits (1.1 right now) and my mineral output in my capital is at least 440 (no, it's not a space improvement) with no eco damage in site.
When I get about 20 turns further I'll let you know how outrageous I can push this game.
I'm curious how far I can push my mineral production, and how high I can get my pop.
Black Sunrise
obsessive-compulsive, it appears.
Old October 28, 2000, 20:53   #6
Black Sunrise
Prince

Oh, base names.
It does gaians 58
for 58 bases.
then it does 58-2
for another 58

the 58 number is determined by how many base names you have in your file.
Black Sunrise
Old October 28, 2000, 20:55   #7
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 02:50
quote:

Originally posted by Black Sunrise on 10-28-2000 08:50 PM
Black Sunrise - obsessive-compulsive, it appears.

I thought I was bad. You have given me hope
Old October 31, 2000, 17:46   #8
Black Sunrise
Prince

Update:
Capital population 59, mineral output 658, no eco-damage. Thats building ground improvements, space improvements are 1300+ minerals per turn.
Moves progressing at 1 per day, taking about an hour each.
507 cities, most of the smaller are 18 or so, from my wave of drop colony pods. Most of the bigger are 40-60.
About 20% have every facility I desire ( no rec commons, no subsea trunk, no skunkworks, no paradise garden, no punishment spheres, no covert ops, no psi gate (this was a tough call, but I decided I didnt need it), no brood pits, no thermocline transducer, no Aquafarms ).
Regarding the other cities, about 50% are within 5 of having all city improvemnts.
Every city builds an facility every turn.
Production is 4/4/5 every square except monoliths, which are 3/3/5. I'm trying to eliminate the monoliths by jumping a couple hundred units onto a monolith square. Every unit damaged by jump, repaired by monolith, hopefully finishes it off.
Most of my cities are garrisoned by either clean 1-1-12 gravships or clean 1-1-20 gun choppers.
I have packted with the 1 city pirates, the 1 city morganites, and the 1 city conciousness, and am threatened by the single university base.
My settings are Demo/Green/Knowledge/Cybernetic, for a planet setting of +5 ( i think the manifold nexus stops working after being terriformed ), and efficiency of +9 and a research of +4.
Net income is somewhere over 100k per turn, I'm getting 3-4 tech advances a turn (planet and efficiency much more important at this point).
Total score is over 40,000 (4000%), and it's still only year 2387.
Am starting to use drop supply crawlers to bring in food to my smaller cities.
Trancend with the gaians, btw.

Will post another update in a week or two, when I'm approaching max pop.

[This message has been edited by Black Sunrise (edited October 31, 2000).]
Old October 31, 2000, 17:57   #9
WhiteElephants
King

Local Time: 20:50
Black Sunrise -- Are you locked in a basement somewhere with just a computer and Alpha Centauri? If you give us clues as to where your being held hostage perhpas we can spring you loose.
Old October 31, 2000, 17:58   #10
WhiteElephants
King

I'm afraid this man may be a hostage of his own mind.
[This message has been edited by WhiteElephants (edited October 31, 2000).]
Old October 31, 2000, 18:11   #11
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

. The actual limits is on total bases including computor bases, at 512. I believe but am not certain that the manifold nexus stops working when successive solar shades raise its altitude above 1000m
. I have expireced the slow motion effect when over about 400 bases, particulaly durring the "maintenace" portion of the turn, which, after the last facility for my last base is in the production que, I run with the enter key weighed down while I browse the internet. Later, when everthing is pink, I put all units except one on hold and that one on Shift Hold (ten turns) and run it with the enter held down overnight. This slow down did not exist (or was much less pronounced) under SMAC, which I payed without any patches.
. Even with 100% science, i have ended up with over 14,000,000 ec from bonuses and stockpile energy.
. One thing to watched out for at around 430 bases your "dominance number" resets to zero, which allows some skulking little Morgan to get an economic victory with a few hundred ec, thus compelling you to exterminate his 1 pet city. to avoid this turn off economic victory.

------------------
Gauis Mucius Scaevola
older richer & wiser than you
Old October 31, 2000, 19:14   #12
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

507 bases, an hour per turn. Big fun.

But no, I can't imagine having that many bases. It would spoil the enjoyment of the game, that it moves at a reasonable pace. This is why I often get bored with games on humungous maps half-way through, it just takes too long. A couple of hundred gravship formers??? Wow, you're dedicated, I'll give you that....

Oh, no, I'm playing against Sunrise in the tourney, I've got no chance..... (goes off to skulk in a corner somewhere)
Old October 31, 2000, 21:24   #13
Black Sunrise
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by WhiteElephants on 10-31-2000 04:57 PM
Black Sunrise -- Are you locked in a basement somewhere with just a computer and Alpha Centauri? If you give us clues as to where your being held hostage perhpas we can spring you loose.

hah. hahahah. hahahahhahahah.
I laugh because I actually am held in (literally) a basement. I'm web-slave for http://www.blacksunrise.com
and http://www.thecont.com
and thats about 75 hours work a week, in a room with no windows.
Old October 31, 2000, 21:27   #14
Black Sunrise
Prince

My god! How many minerals do I need to impress you guys? I'll go back to work and try for 1000.
Wow, you guys must be good.
Indra
thought over 600 minerals with no eco damage was something more unusual that spending too long on a game.
Oh, and Mark, you'll probably take me, I'm new to MP.
Old October 31, 2000, 21:48   #15
WhiteElephants
King

Hey Black, that red leather spikey devil mask sure is snappy! By the way, one of the bands on the continental play list is from around my neck of the woods. In fact, I think my step brother went to school with one of the guys in the band Evolotto. Anyways, good luck and get some sunlight, you wouldn't want your skin to turn pale and end up looking vampirish.
Old November 2, 2000, 01:56   #16
Fitz
King

Local Time: 17:50
Don't worry BS, we all think you're a guy for managing this many bases and for getting lots of minerals. Even if we think you're a head case too