Old December 27, 2002, 23:37   #1
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 09:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Question: who here might be called to the Looming War
This is a for real Question, no RP. I know of one person who we might miss if Hostilities break out with Iraq.

With the US mobilizing for war & England most likely flowing suite, who here might have to leave us for a long time?

E_T
Old December 28, 2002, 00:30   #2
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:21
Re: Question: who here might be called to the Looming War
Quote:
Originally posted by E_T
This is a for real Question, no RP. I know of one person who we might miss if Hostilities break out with Iraq.

With the US mobilizing for war & England most likely flowing suite, who here might have to leave us for a long time?

E_T
It should be noted that many of the people potentially affected by these RL events may not be able to let the rest of us know about it (I speak from experience growing up with family members, not for myself ). Letting people know about one's deployment or work situation is sometimes information reserved solely for family members.

That said, if there are some people who are actually PERMITTED to discuss their deployment, it wouldn't be a bad idea for us to have some idea of who wouldn't be around.
Old December 28, 2002, 01:18   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 07:21
There's always a chance I could go but they told me when we first thought we were going in October that I was staying stateside due to my training course slot so who knows.
Old December 28, 2002, 01:32   #4
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 13:21
You a military man GF? I didn't know.
Old December 28, 2002, 01:35   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
You a military man GF? I didn't know.
I thought everyone knew?
Old December 28, 2002, 01:41   #6
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Nope. Which branch? What's your rank?

No, I'm not spying , I'm an Army guy myself, so I'm just curious.
Old December 28, 2002, 01:47   #7
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:21
Now you know why the GoW team will win.
Old December 28, 2002, 01:59   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
Nope. Which branch? What's your rank?

No, I'm not spying , I'm an Army guy myself, so I'm just curious.
I'm enlisted currently, but am slotted for OCS in May.

King of Battle!

I voluteered for Cheyenne Mountain duty but the Brigade Personnel Officer told me I'd have to give up my OCS slot if I went (their way of insuring I went through the course.......)

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; December 28, 2002 at 02:06.
Old December 28, 2002, 05:30   #9
Nolan
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

New Zealand will barely get involved and I've only joined the provisionals, so even if we did get involved, I'd still be sitting here at Uni, do you guys think wars likely, no-one knows much about it out here
Old December 28, 2002, 07:44   #10
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:21
War is most definetely on the horizon concering U.S./Allies vs. Iraq.

Odds are I'll see some action.
Old December 28, 2002, 10:28   #11
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 14:21
Well, if non conventional warheads hits Israel, i think i can keep posting here for a few days before the pox finally disables my typing ability...

Old December 28, 2002, 15:54   #12
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 15:21
Quote:
Originally posted by zeit
Well, if non conventional warheads hits Israel, i think i can keep posting here for a few days before the pox finally disables my typing ability...

hi ,

shelters are there for everyone

have a nice day
Old December 30, 2002, 15:16   #13
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

On Persian Gulf War II, it's pretty much public knowledge which units are going to be involved, because the press is routinely informed about which theater a division is being relocated to.

As for the North Koreans starting up their nuclear reactor, a single B 52 bomber can easily destroy the reactor and the North Korean army is no match for the South Korean army in a conventional war.
Old December 30, 2002, 16:39   #14
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Ouch...........

Glad I was in the Peace Corps instead.......

Good luck and come back safe and sound for any who do go, assuming such going does occur.

GK

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old December 31, 2002, 00:22   #15
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
On Persian Gulf War II, it's pretty much public knowledge which units are going to be involved, because the press is routinely informed about which theater a division is being relocated to.
While this is true, it is not always the case. Whether certain units or parts of the government are involved in certain operations is many times classified even when the bulk of the deployments are not classified. The reason is that the inclusion of certain people or units to an operation, whether military or civilian, are more specialized and knowledge of their inclusion might tip the enemy off to something you don't want them to know.

The other one is that not everyone who works in issues of national security would be permitted to tell just any person where they work... there are numerous government employers that restrict their employees from broadcasting where they work and what they do.

So the point remains... while many people may know and may share that they will be affected due to deployment or involvement, others may not be permitted to (though admittedly that's quite a minority).

And before you all start raising your eyebrows, I'm not one of the people I suggest above I just happen to have seen this happen before with a number of people I know.
Old January 10, 2003, 23:01   #16
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

There is a slight chance that I may be absent on occasion for a few days here and there, concerning some of my duties in the USAF.

I'm hoping to still perform SMC duties, although I will be requiring a deputy (maybe two) to fill in for me from time to time.

This shouldn't conflict too much w/my involvement in the demo game, but forewarning, in about a month (maybe a little longer) I will probably be transferred to a different location, and unable to access a computer for DemoGame purposes.

Hopefully if I'm elected my term will be over by the time I'm transferred, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

That's still no reason to not vote for me...
Old January 10, 2003, 23:38   #17
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:21
You guys, be careful... Fight for the democracy, but keep your @$$&$ safe, for God sake!
I`m serious...
Old January 11, 2003, 03:31   #18
Meshelic
King

I thank you for your concern Aro. God willing, I may be safe. Although I will not deny the fact that I may be sent to the war in Iraq. That is a VERY likely possibility. The war in Iraq will be quite unlike the previous one. I can guarantee that. Saddam will be toppled or the U.S./British coalition forces will have one hell of a public relations farce to deal with.
Old January 11, 2003, 03:32   #19
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
You guys, be careful... Fight for the democracy, but keep your @$$&$ safe, for God sake!
I`m serious...
I'm in the US military, our life expectancy goes up in combat. It has for the last the three wars we have been in.
Old January 11, 2003, 04:45   #20
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

I'm in the US military, our life expectancy goes up in combat. It has for the last the three wars we have been in.
That's because regardless of what branch of the military you are in, the U.S. takes very good care of it's servicemen. Even in war...
Old January 11, 2003, 11:35   #21
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
I`m serious...
I second Aro's motion.

Take care.