Old January 13, 2003, 20:59   #31
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 08:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I tried getting into the Allies, but they won't take me and I'm trying to be a nice Finland and not support the Nazis.

Are there any other smaller sized countries that would be involved in the war? I'd rather not be Spain, or any of the countries that get rolled over by the Nazis. Maybe Greece, or some other Eastern European country?

I also thought about being Canada, but I didn't want to be part of the Commonwealth.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
mactbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2003, 02:39   #32
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 06:21
I'm a fan of alternative history so I like to play a Brazil who conquors all of south America and then joins the Axis and helps to invade the U.S.. In real life this could never have happened but in HOI it's pretty easy to arrange.

Also the reason they wouldn't let you join the allies is your political pyramid has to look like the other alliance members or they will reject you. During election time just keep moving your country towards Demacracy and away from facism & communism and they'll accept you in no time.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2003, 02:42   #33
Oerdin
Deity

You could try being hungery or Rumania if you wanted to play a smaller axis power. The communist Chinese state is difficult to play but great if you want to be paert of the comminturn. Any of the other states make a good choice for allied powers. Sweden is always fun as a neutral.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 14, 2003, 10:40   #34
mactbone
Prince

Hmm, maybe Brazil would be a cool choice, or Mexico. Then I could pick which alliance I want to join.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
mactbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2003, 21:08   #35
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 05:21
How bad is the AI? I have heard reports that it is worse than the original CivII AI, and if it is that bad I'm wondering if I will like EU2. I doubt if I will play it PBEM or MP (if it even has the feature) so I am debating still.
Sten Sture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2003, 22:28   #36
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:21
The AI honours alliances and actually sends troops to help. That alone makes it better than CivII's AI IMHO.
Old January 19, 2003, 12:52   #37
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 15:21
Jep, the AI of EU 2 is the only AI I really trust
Proteus_MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2003, 15:39   #38
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:21
But I want a map editor...

But I want a system that could run that map editor.
Old January 21, 2003, 11:28   #39
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Right
Heresson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2003, 12:53   #40
Oerdin
Deity

The Ai ok but nothing to write home about. Yes, it sends troops and onors allainces. It also masses forces and attacks with combined arms but I've noticed the Ai to inexplicably open up holes in its line of defense for no apparent reason. As the Germans I didn't mind see the Soviets leave proviences unoccupied but it does cost me some replay enjoyment.

Still the MP is very stable so a human player is just a hop-skip-jump away.
Old January 21, 2003, 18:04   #41
Carolus_Rex
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:21
Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
But I want a map editor...

But I want a system that could run that map editor.
Heh, break into Paradox Towers and steal it.
Old January 21, 2003, 21:15   #42
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 09:21
Map editor...

Good luck, I don't think you'll ever see that from Paradox.
I heard it took 2 days to compile the map when they brought in 3 extra computers to help process it.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2003, 12:32   #43
Heresson
Emperor

AI isn't very wise. For example; little, 1-province states often have great armies, up t0 75... And what do they do if they are at war with me? Put all this army at one of my numberous provinces to bleed itself out, and their allies often come and "help" them there...
Old January 28, 2003, 23:49   #44
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
I heard it took 2 days to compile the map when they brought in 3 extra computers to help process it.
Yeah... sure... even if that happened- then how come for EU1 a 3rd party person managed to develop a map-generator for EU1
Old January 29, 2003, 00:43   #45
Mordoch
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud

Yeah... sure... even if that happened- then how come for EU1 a 3rd party person managed to develop a map-generator for EU1
The "Map Generator" merely altered the names and resources of provinces, it did not alter the map or art itself. I have heard that loading the map editor on a computer requires somewhere in the vicinity of 2 GB of ram.
Mordoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2003, 10:41   #46
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 14:21
Yeah the only thing those Paradox guys flinch from is making map changes.
Old February 1, 2003, 09:51   #47
Dr Jekyll
Settler

EU is an excellent game, EU2 is even better thanks to the ability to change your national policy (COMPLETELY changes the game). It's more historically accurate than the Civs (real world map, changing leaders, correct placement of countries and cultures etc.) and IMO that makes it more enjoyable - I'm not a big fan of Civilization, though, so you might not want to listen to me It's at least as good as SMAC, though, and coming from me that's a lot.
Dr Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2003, 16:56   #48
Chronus
Prince

The Verdict
Well, Lord Davinator, have you come to a conclusion about EU2?

I have EU and think it's okay. I would like to enjoy EU2 but I'm afraid of buying it. The problem I have with EU is that I'm a bit too much of a peaceful player. If you're not at war, the game can be pretty boring IMOHO.

Anyway, I may still buy EU2 when the price comes down but was wondering what your thoughts were on it.
Chronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2003, 22:37   #49
Tuberski

I thought EU 2 was rather boring. There is a lot of time where nothing happens. Wars are concluded unsatisfactorily for me.

Technology? You go from tech 1 to tech 2. What's the difference? None. except that you are a little closer to a technology that does make a difference.

But, I should have played more.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Tuberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2003, 13:10   #50
Heresson
Emperor

Quote:
correct placement of countries and cultures etc
Old March 4, 2003, 22:37   #51
Amesjustin
NationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Don't ban me moderaters but I downloaded EU2 from a certain file-sharing program and it is REALLY slow even from the get-go. I am using a PII 450 with 320 MB Ram. Is this normal for the game itself or do I have some jacked-up version? If this is the case I will just go buy it cuz it does look good, and everyone who has played it seems to love it.
Amesjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2003, 10:58   #52
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

With such a bad computer, you can't hope for any better performance even if you buy the game. But of course, you should! The game is not recognized by it's good graphics, but it's very thirsty for computer power because of the complex game it is. Lots of lots of information to calculate!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2003, 01:39   #53
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 21:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Amesjustin
Don't ban me moderaters but I downloaded EU2 from a certain file-sharing program and it is REALLY slow even from the get-go. I am using a PII 450 with 320 MB Ram. Is this normal for the game itself or do I have some jacked-up version? If this is the case I will just go buy it cuz it does look good, and everyone who has played it seems to love it.
Those specs you're quoting sound a bit higher than the min reqs for EU2 (P2 300MHz or somesuch IIRC?) ...

In any case I wouldn't make a judgement about performance issues based on a warez version. These are often badly put together, buggy and prone to crash often and at inopportune moments.

EU2 itself is well put together, extremely well supported and a pretty good strategy game overall. If you appreciate the historical aspect and don't mind the lack of a random map capability (my only (slight) gripe) then it becomes very good indeed.
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2003, 02:20   #54
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

The minimum specs is P2 266 MHz, but I promise you, you don't want to use such a machine... I've used much better ones, and the longer you play, the more need for a good mashine you get. The PC has much to think about.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote