Old December 27, 2002, 23:54   #1
BrutusIV
Settler

Local Time: 15:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Help with Civ II Multiplayer (not the multiplayer itself)
Well, about 10 hours ago i found my "Civilization II Multiplayer" CD, that was given to me by a friend as a goodbye gift a long time ago, and i've tried installing it, and everything works fine (To my amazement), i make a new game..kill the spanish, and then my advisorts want to talk to me, so i talk to them, what i see is...nothing, i can see thier text, but instead of them talking, all i see are black squares (which even hide some of the text).

Then i updated to the latest version (2.42 or 4.24, don't remember which..hehe), and it can't find a dll, i get it, put it there, then it can't find another dll, i get that too, and then it can't find another dll which i didn't really manage to get, but my guess is...it shouldn't be asking for all these dlls.

I'm using Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, are there any (civ) updates that i didn't notice, any patches/dll packs/whatever that can help my problem?

I've uninstalled Civ 2 for now, gonna install it in a few seconds and then install the patch, and i'll tell you what are all the dlls that it asks for.
Old December 28, 2002, 00:33   #2
Gravy Smoothie
Settler

Local Time: 08:21
Hm...if you are using Civ II multiplayer, you installed an incompatible patch -- 2.42 is the latest patch for the original Civ II.

The most recent Multiplayer Gold Edition patch, if I'm correct, is 1.3.

Hope this helps,
Gravy
Old December 28, 2002, 00:40   #3
BrutusIV
Settler

Where can i download that patch?
Old December 28, 2002, 01:00   #4
Gravy Smoothie
Settler

um, look in the downloads section of this forum, otherwise you may have to search yahoo! for it....i d/led it recentl, but i can't remember where from offhand. Try microprose.com.

Gravy
Old December 28, 2002, 01:33   #5
BrutusIV
Settler

Downloaded this:

http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?si...56&having=7743

But it sais that it can't find a copy of MGE installed on my comp, i don't see anything on my CD or in my game that sais "gold edition", i just see "multiplayer", is there some other patch?

EDIT: Hm..it seems i don't have gold edition, but i don't have the regular civ II either, what do i have?

EDIT #2: Here's my civ II CD, if anyone can figure out what i have, please tell me

EDIT #3: Hm..it seems my Civ II refers to itself as "Ultimate Civilization II", but the credits say:

Edit #4: Hm..apparantly i have what is mentioned in the great library as "Ultimate Civilization 5.3 (European Edition) allowing Hot Seat/Multiplayer Games - apparently only released in the UK.", the CD says "made in UK"..so i think that's correct, so...now what? what's the latest patch?

And if there isn't a patch, how do i fix the thing that i can't see advisors (and now that i think of it, i can't see those dancing characters that should appear when i talk to other kingdoms)?

Asus TUV4X-A
Intel Celeron 1300MHz
MSI Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128MB
Creative Vibra 128 4D
Windows 2000 Service Pack 3

Last edited by BrutusIV; December 28, 2002 at 02:25.
Old December 28, 2002, 07:53   #6
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 13:21
You seem to have the european "Ultimate Civ" - your best bet is to get the "No Limits Patch" from the Directory - this is compatible with the Ultimate - brings you up to patch 1.3 and allows giga maps - but has the unfortunate effect of disabling the scenario editor

SG[1]
Old December 28, 2002, 09:05   #7
BrutusIV
Settler

Uh..Where exactly can i find that patch?
Old December 28, 2002, 09:28   #8
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 13:21
http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?si...ts=3929&cat=57

SG[1]
Old December 28, 2002, 10:03   #9
Cedric Greene
Chieftain

Also Mercator has the official patch for the Multiplayer UK edition on his site, sorry don't have the link. Also I would recommend downloading the latest Indeo video drivers and codecs from www.ligos.com