Old December 28, 2002, 10:36   #1
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 15:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Tropico, how to be an evil dictator..
Question for the tropicans, how do you play the evil dictator, i've actually never lasted long as evil dictator, i ended up getting my people happy, and winning elections.

I suppose you'll need:
A good military
The support of at least one of the factions, preferably the biggest?
An immigrations office to keep your population from leaving.
A high school, to train more military
A clinic to raise the birthrates
Some farms and a factory for income.

As for diplomacy, id' think Russia would be best, since they don't seem to care about liberty, and they offer cheap housing.

But i've never tested this in the game, does anyone have experience with this?
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old December 28, 2002, 11:42   #2
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:22
Nope, got bord with it long ago and sold the game to some hapless sucker.
Old December 28, 2002, 12:36   #3
Lemmy
King

i haven't played it for a while myself, got some free time now, thought i'd give it a try again.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Old December 28, 2002, 15:44   #4
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 13:22
It helps to be a religous dictator. Build a strong religous base to help keep your people in line even when you treat them like crap, and then build a strong military and keep your soldiers as loyal as possible - issue martial law, do book burnings, ect... and, once you are able to, get some newspapers and radio stations going with propaganda to keep your people loyal.

A nice bonus to being a religous dictator is that you can label any enemy of yours as a heretic.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 28, 2002, 18:27   #5
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Tropico is insanely simple... Just never assassinate any of your people and you'll be fine.

Frankly, I don't think you can be a successful evil dictator; the game just doesn't seem to be written that way.
Old December 28, 2002, 19:14   #6
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Nope, got bord with it long ago and sold the game to some hapless sucker.
That was how I felt the first few times I played the game (= Quickly uninstalled), but about six months ago, I reinstalled it, and realized it was actually quiet funny... Though in my games, I always forgets to build the churches, and I have never been that friendly to those militarists... in my games I have most of the time, been focusing on liberty and knowledge...
Old December 28, 2002, 20:29   #7
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Tropico is insanely simple... Just never assassinate any of your people and you'll be fine.

Frankly, I don't think you can be a successful evil dictator; the game just doesn't seem to be written that way.
Not true, I have done quite well as a religous dictator - I established a decent economy, with a couple of factories. I was eventually able to field quite a sizeble army, and had succesfuly crushed a revolution and two coup detats.

Assassinations? That is for the desperate, or just plain stupid. A smart dictator will just brand dissidents as heretics, fire them from their jobs, and evict them from their homes - make their life a living hell untill they die or leave the island. (the military jail in the expansion is also quite good - they get put in there for two years, and have a good chance of dying due to the poor conditions before their time is up, if I remember correctly)

Edicts and leader traits play a large role in being a succesful dictator, aswell.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 29, 2002, 13:41   #8
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
fire them from their jobs, and evict them from their homes - make their life a living hell untill they die or leave the island.
But their families still get mad don't they?

-
Oh and build a lot of construction crews- they are the lifeblood of the island
Old December 29, 2002, 14:09   #9
Lemmy
King

Ah yes, construction crews..in my "good" game i have 3 of them wokring on an airport...it takes forever to finish one, it's been 15 years now, and they're still levelling the terrain...maybe i shouldn't have build it in the center of the island
Old December 29, 2002, 14:12   #10
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I have never finnished an airport yet... it took toooooo long (and that was on a somewhat flat land)
Old December 29, 2002, 15:37   #11
Lemmy
King

I just finished it...in 2009, took about 30 years in total, and it really wasn't worth it...oh crap, i forgot to check out the trade delegation option...meh, maybe later.
Old December 30, 2002, 21:59   #12
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Did you patch the game? I remember it reducing the time it takes to build an airport. (or was that the expansion...)

Do It Ourselves
Old December 31, 2002, 06:21   #13
Lemmy
King

I patched it to 1.01, the actual building didn't take long, but levelling the ground took years.
Old December 31, 2002, 22:14   #14
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
I have never finnished an airport yet... it took toooooo long (and that was on a somewhat flat land)
the patch fixes it, decreasing the building time by half.

-
And yes Osweld, the expansion also patches it
Old December 31, 2002, 23:49   #15
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 14:22
Tropico Gold (your standard expansion pack) also claims to reduce the length of time for large constructions.

I've never actually built an airport or played a bad guy. Keep thinking i'm missing out but as someone said the game doesn't seem to encourage evil dictators. Its too easy to build a healthy economy and be a nice liberal.
Old January 1, 2003, 07:56   #16
Lemmy
King

even when turning up the difficulty?
At moderate difficulty i always had problems winning the first election.
Old January 2, 2003, 09:23   #17
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 14:22
Not quite sure what difficulty i play at i tend to tweak quite a few of the settings but its generally higher than the standard settings.

First elections normally see a tax cut and the mardi gras event about a month before. Normally seems to work but i guess a lot depends on your background, expectations etc.