Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 09:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Russia Kicks Out US Peace Corps!
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe...rps/index.html

Quote:
MOSCOW (CNN) -- The official statement from the Russian government came Christmas Day: the Peace Corps is no longer welcome in Russia.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said things have changed since 1992, when the U.S.-sponsored program began operating in Russia, and noted "changing economic and social tasks facing our country."

The ministry said it is consulting with the United States on other forms of partnership "more in line with today's needs."

The move comes at the end of a difficult year for the Peace Corps in Russia, with the Federal Security Service, successor to the KGB, charging that some volunteers were spying.

"Among them are persons who were collecting information on the social, political and economic situation in Russian regions, on officials of governmental bodies and departments, on the course of elections and so on," FSB head Nikolai Patrushev told reporters earlier this month.

The U.S. Embassy dismissed the charges as "groundless."

Earlier this year, Moscow refused to provide entry visas for new Peace Corps volunteers or to extend the visas of nearly half the volunteers already in the country.

Since the two governments signed an agreement in 1992 that authorized the program in Russia, more than 700 Peace Corps workers have volunteered in such areas as teaching English as a foreign language and in business education.

"The Peace Corps is very disappointed that the work of the volunteers is coming to an end but we respect the right of the host country to make that determination," the agency said in a posting on its Web site.
Those Russians get wierder on a daily basis.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 28, 2002, 19:34   #2
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 13:24
I miss the good ol Soviet Union. They were the head misfit in charge of all the little misfits, the ones that are now running amok.

Regarding the Peace Corps, obviously all those do gooders got to be a pain in the butt.
Old December 28, 2002, 21:39   #3
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Re: Russia Kicks Out US Peace Corps!
Russia kicks out Peace Corps, North Korea kicks out inspectors....For us or against us doesn't seem to be working, does it?
Old December 28, 2002, 21:42   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff

A bunch of paranoid ninnies is what I'm seeing.

The Russians, starting with Putin, sure have a screw loose, I tell you!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 28, 2002, 21:43   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I suppose they've joined the club along with the good ol' US of A!
Old December 28, 2002, 21:44   #6
Imran Siddiqui
staff

We never kicked out a group dedicated to helping people .
Old December 28, 2002, 21:45   #7
Nubclear

Quote:
We never kicked out a group dedicated to helping people .
No, but your paranoia let you find and train a group that eventually killed 3000 of your people
Old December 28, 2002, 21:46   #8
Imran Siddiqui
staff

That wasn't paranoia, that was beating down a bigger enemy with a lesser threat.

And yes, it was a tradeoff I'd make again.

---

And we weren't so paranoid that we had to build walls to keep people IN .
Old December 28, 2002, 21:47   #9
Nubclear

Quote:
That wasn't paranoia, that was beating down a bigger enemy with a lesser threat.

And yes, it was a tradeoff I'd make again.
"COMMUNSIM IS GONNA TAKE OVER THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!!! WE MUST FUND TERRORISTS!"

And then your little improsining of Japanese after Pearl Harbour and then the Arabs after Sep11 can easily be classified under "paranoia".
Old December 28, 2002, 21:48   #10
Nubclear

Quote:
And we weren't so paranoid that we had to build walls to keep people IN .
It's much easier than that for you Just get a certain group to "legally register" and once they arrive, arrest them!
Old December 28, 2002, 21:49   #11
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
And then your little improsining of Japanese after Pearl Harbour and then the Arabs after Sep11 can easily be classified under "paranoia".
How? I know you like to call thing paranoid because you cannot answer for the paranoia of your crumbled state, but it doesn't hold muster.

NOTHING comes close to the paranoia of the USSR when it was in existance. NOTHING! KGB taking out anyone that was deemed to even be minorly suspicious. Gulags for those that even remotely posed a threat to Stalin. Paranoid City.
Old December 28, 2002, 21:52   #12
Nubclear

Quote:
Quote:
How? I know you like to call thing paranoid because you cannot answer for the paranoia of your crumbled state, but it doesn't hold muster.
par·a·noi·a ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-noi)
n.
A psychotic disorder characterized by delusions of persecution with or without grandeur, often strenuously defended with apparent logic and reason.
Extreme, irrational distrust of others.

Try the second (bolded) definition. In other words: Just because the government or a member of ethnic group A commits an atrocity against group B, it doesnt mean everyone from group A is an evil American-Murderer

Also, I will say this ONE MORE TIME: MANY OF THE ACTIONS OF THE SOVIET UNION WERE UNJUSTIFIABLE. They were EVIL. PARANOID.
Old December 28, 2002, 21:52   #13
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Just get a certain group to "legally register" and once they arrive, arrest them!
As opposed to being so afraid of certain groups that wouldn't let them enter your country. Being so afraid of Western money, that it was illegal to own. Being so afraid of certain beliefs that if you believed in them, you were sent to gulags.
Old December 28, 2002, 21:53   #14
Nubclear

Quote:
Quote:
Just get a certain group to "legally register" and once they arrive, arrest them!
As opposed to being so afraid of certain groups that wouldn't let them enter your country. Being so afraid of Western money, that it was illegal to own. Being so afraid of certain beliefs that if you believed in them, you were sent to gulags.
I've already responded to that: The Soviet Union was a paranoid state. I think thats more than obvious. I'm not denying it nor trying to justify its actions
Old December 28, 2002, 21:54   #15
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Also, I will say this ONE MORE TIME: MANY OF THE ACTIONS OF THE SOVIET UNION WERE UNJUSTIFIABLE. They were EVIL. PARANOID.
So how can you join a club when you are already the premier members .
Old December 28, 2002, 21:54   #16
Nubclear

Quote:
Quote:
So how can you join a club when you are already the premier members .
It is called a JOKE Imran. Don't act stupid.

Now, are you going to admit that your state is acting a bit paranoid, or will you continue to attempt to justify its actions?
Old December 28, 2002, 21:55   #17
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
The Soviet Union was a paranoid state. I think thats more than obvious. I'm not denying it nor trying to justify its actions
Russia is just as paranoid. Kicking out a group that only helps people in growing crops or building houses.

At least other countries had reasons for looking closely at certain groups. The Russians had to make up an excuse, like they spy on us!
Old December 28, 2002, 21:56   #18
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Now, are you going to admit that your state is acting a bit paranoid, or will you continue to attempt to justify its actions?
A 'BIT'. Perhaps. But, like it is said, 'it isn't paranoia when they really are out to get you'
Old December 28, 2002, 21:58   #19
Nubclear

Quote:
Quote:
A 'BIT'. Perhaps. But, like it is said, 'it isn't paranoia when they really are out to get you'

Thats PARANOIA! When you believe everything is out to get you (so you must attack it first!). It's just that simple.
Old December 28, 2002, 22:01   #20
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Thats PARANOIA! When you believe everything is out to get you (so you must attack it first!).
Um NO! If they actually are out to get you, then you aren't being paranoid, you are being smart and perceptive!
Old December 28, 2002, 22:04   #21
Nubclear

Quote:
Quote:
Thats PARANOIA! When you believe everything is out to get you (so you must attack it first!).
Um NO! If they actually are out to get you, then you aren't being paranoid, you are being smart and perceptive!
Um YEAH! Do you think a person suffering from paranoia is actually faking the entire thing? NO! They believe SOMETHING is out to get them! They believe that they're supported by FACT!

Come on Imran, this is painfully obvious...A paranoid persno believes that their paranoia is justified and true and that theyre being "smart and perceptive!". They make excuses. It's common knowledge and in fact has become a steriotype in American society.
Old December 28, 2002, 22:07   #22
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Are you being purposefully stupid or is this really how you believe?

IF someone is REALLY, ACTUALLY out to get them, then it isn't paranoia to think that person is out to get you!!!!!

If someone is REALLY being chased by a madman and he sees the madman chasing him and following him, then he isn't being paranoid... because someone REALLY is chasing him!

How the HELL can you called paranoid if that thing is actually happening to you? I'd think the information released after the Cold War about the hundreds of spies in the US government (State and Defense mostly), would indicate that US fears about Communist spies in the government was NOT paranoia but TRUTH!
Old December 28, 2002, 22:10   #23
Nubclear

Quote:
Are you being purposefully stupid or is this really how you believe?

IF someone is REALLY, ACTUALLY out to get them, then it isn't paranoia to think that person is out to get you!!!!!

If someone is REALLY being chased by a madman and he sees the madman chasing him and following him, then he isn't being paranoid... because someone REALLY is chasing him!
Yes, then its justified. But being a country believeing EVERYONE is out to get you so you have to kill them first and having a madman running at you is quite different.

But hey, to begin pre-emptively striking countries because they "may become a threat" is like killing your mother because "she may become a threat". It's paranoid. You have no justification at all.

Anyway, I just logged onto Poly to see what was going on. I have to go, but were not finished here yet
Old December 28, 2002, 22:16   #24
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
But being a country believeing EVERYONE is out to get you so you have to kill them first
And which country in the history of the world believed this? Just about every country either A) had an ally or B) attacked someone and suprised them, so no one could think everyone was out to get them.

Quote:
But hey, to begin pre-emptively striking countries because they "may become a threat" is like killing your mother because "she may become a threat". It's paranoid. You have no justification at all.
How is that paranoia? It is not irrational to think certain countries may become a threat. It is like killing someone that hates you more than anything and is trying to get a machine gun! It isn't paranoid, it is very rational, because you know that that person wants to shoot you!

I cannot see how that is paranoia at all! When Israel bombed Iraqi nuclear reactors in 1980s, they weren't being paranoid. They knew Iraq would threaten Israel with nuclear weapons in the future. That isn't paranoia, that's called a preventive strike, and in many circumstances it is smart.
Old December 29, 2002, 01:14   #25
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:24
Quote:

The Russians, starting with Putin, sure have a screw loose, I tell you!
It's not paranoia if the CIA is everywhere. Remember those weapons inspectors?
Old December 29, 2002, 01:36   #26
Nubclear

Quote:
Quote:
But being a country believeing EVERYONE is out to get you so you have to kill them first
And which country in the history of the world believed this
Alright, MOSTLY everyone

Quote:
How is that paranoia? It is not irrational to think certain countries may become a threat. It is like killing someone that hates you more than anything and is trying to get a machine gun! It isn't paranoid, it is very rational, because you know that that person wants to shoot you!
But what if you know they WONT? The US' latest obsession, Iraq, has VERY little chance of attacking the US other thant he airplanes patrolling the No-Fly Zone. In fact, many US allies already have the gun and pulling the trigger

Quote:
in many circumstances it is smart.
Well, not in the one I'm thinking of
Old December 29, 2002, 14:54   #27
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
The US' latest obsession, Iraq, has VERY little chance of attacking the US other thant he airplanes patrolling the No-Fly Zone.
Why do you think we are attacking Iraq because they are going to attack us?

We are attacking Iraq because if they get nukes, they can do whatever they please in the ME. Take over Kuwait again? Sure... they have nukes.
Old December 29, 2002, 15:05   #28
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 08:24
Quote:
"COMMUNSIM IS GONNA TAKE OVER THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!!! WE MUST FUND TERRORISTS!"
We weren't funding terrorists. We were funding and training guerilla fighters, some of whom later became terrrorists.

"We are attacking Iraq because if they get nukes, they can do whatever they please in the ME. Take over Kuwait again? Sure... they have nukes."

Imran is correct. There is evidence is Iraq is trying to get nukes, and if it does they will be able to run rampant and undermine our power. Having a hostile power with nukes nessecarily undermines your power in a region. Not paranoia, smart foreign policy.

BY the way Tassadar, get those posts back yet?

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old December 29, 2002, 15:09   #29
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 08:24
Quote:
But being a country believeing EVERYONE is out to get you...
You just described the essence of the security delima, IIRC.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 29, 2002, 15:34   #30
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:24
This is a very old info. As long as I can remember, it was discussed here months or over a year ago. It was before I started posting Russian threads, so it was some time ago.