Old December 28, 2002, 19:09   #1
vee4473
King

Local Time: 08:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
moo2 or CTP
hey,

i posted a thread in the PTW forum about whether to buy CTP2 or PTW, but I came across MOO2 in the bargain bin of an EB games store.

Is MOO2 worth buying from the bin or should I just wait 2 weeks for MOO3?
Old December 28, 2002, 19:41   #2
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 15:24
Wait for moo3 i'd say.
Many moo2 fans will probably say moo2 was better and all, but keep in mind there is also a lot of nostalgia talking there.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2002, 19:52   #3
vee4473
King

i would also like to say that the bargain bin moo2 was just the cd in a jewel case, with no manual.

Would that be playable, I mean, is a manual needed to understand the gameplay of moo2?

I'm a veteran civ player, but never tried the moo series.

I saw the game and wondered if the lack of a manual would make it too frustrating.

any thoughts?
Old December 28, 2002, 20:13   #4
Destroyer
Prince

Local Time: 13:24
moo2 is still a great game now, but is a quicker game to play by far.

You can right click on everything in game for any explaination you need (one of the games best features).

The game is simple enough to understand, even without instructions, although I belive there is a tutorial anyway.

I would definately buy moo2. Its different enough from civ, and CTP2 just made me want to go back and play civ after a while, and Ive never played it since.

Make sure if you opt for MOO2 that you get the latest patch!
Old December 29, 2002, 00:45   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:24
I still play Moo2and in fact I will be posting an updated leaders list today. Anyway if you get it and have question, look at the Moo2 threads.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2002, 07:44   #6
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 15:24
Same for me.

Have played several games of MOO2 this month, cause I couldnīt stand waiting for MOO3.
It was a great game when it came out several years ago and it is still something with which you can spend hours of playing.

btw.
at the moment Iīve switched to "Die Gilde" ("The Guild" which was FAIK published under "Europe 1400" in english-speaking countries), a games where you have to learn several crafts, establish shops, hatch plots and build a Dynasty in 15th century Germany.
Proteus_MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2002, 12:37   #7
dworkin
Chieftain

IMEO MOO2 is more fun.

My entire flat found it on my hard drive and have become junkies so I am playing it a bit now. Fun, if somewhat silly.

CTP2 never grabbed me like CTP did. I remember trying to puzzle out how to do the 'Big project' win and giving up when I first got it.
dworkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2002, 14:13   #8
vee4473
King

well,

i just bought moo2 for $10 from the bargain bin. I thought it didn't have a manual, but they put it on the disc in a PDF format. Nice surprise.

Anyway, i'm about to see what moo is all about.

thanks for the opinions guys
Old December 29, 2002, 14:29   #9
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 14:24
Dworkin, you get points for the most casually evil handle I've seen on this board for a long time.

Oh, and Moo2 is a swell game. Get it.
Old December 29, 2002, 14:41   #10
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

If you get CtP2, you can join our democracy game, of course, i don't have it and I'm one of the elected leaders of the group
H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2002, 15:18   #11
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

The joys of democracy!

But then again, I'm in AC-DG, and I haven't loaded the save even once. These places are fun nonetheless.

How about a Moo2-DG, folks? Wouldn't that be sweet?
Old December 29, 2002, 19:57   #12
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

do you think there would be enough people? i think we should wait for M003 to come out and do a DG for that instead
Old December 30, 2002, 01:23   #13
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

MOO3 DG would be cool. I'd join.
Old December 30, 2002, 03:22   #14
H Tower

we'd need the game to be released though. so what do you guys think? plan on starting next december?
Old December 30, 2002, 07:24   #15
moomin
King

Perhaps we should wait for Moo3. Then again, Moo2 has so little MM compared to most Civesque titles that even a few dedicated players would suffice for a good game.
Old January 6, 2003, 07:20   #16
AIL
Warlord

I tried 4 of my older games in the laste time.
These were Civ3, Civ1, Moo2 & Moo1.
Civ 3 drove me mad, when I saw the AI even with the newest patch still does not care about industrialization!
Civ became boring when I had too many Cities and these very unhappy people to care about. The AI is so increadibly bad compared to Civ 3, I just could not play any further!
Moo 2 took me so much time just to recognize I am far superior to anyone else and besides 2 little wars in the very beginning there's been nothing but making build qeues over and over again.
Moo 1 was definetely the most enjoyable games of these. On hard I never know If I would win or not.

So I'd propose download Moo1 from some Abandonware-Site and have a nice time with it waiting for Moo3!

Best site to get it is the site of Jon Sullivan. (don't know the adress, try "sullivan" + "master of orion" in a search engine. There you'll find how to get it to work on your PC, the latest patch, the solution for the copy protection, the manual as txt-File and several guides aswell.
AIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2003, 10:49   #17
RolandtheMad
Trade Wars / BlackNova TradersCall to Power II Democracy Game
Warlord

Pah. I`d go get Moo1 that way but I`m too spoiled by modern graphics. Anything worse than say Moo2 makes my eyes bleed. However I have caught wind of a project to revamp Moo1 though.. mmm I can`t seem to find it now but I know it exists because I remember seeing screens for it. Anyone else know of this?
RolandtheMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2003, 12:16   #18
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:24
Check the MoO1/2 section.
Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2003, 14:20   #19
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:24
Yes someone has been posting work on an update Moo1 and it looks nice. I just do not know if the project is too big to be done alone.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2003, 14:48   #20
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
MOO3 DG would be cool. I'd join.
How exactly does one play a democracy game?
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2003, 16:03   #21
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Seldon

How exactly does one play a democracy game?
Essentially, a bunch of people get together and make decisions together. You have one person who actually plays the game, but everyone gets a voice in the decisions.

Look at this thread from the Civ3 Demogame. Lots of good explanations & links (and a lot of shameless party advertisement you can ignore ); while most of it is Civ3 Demogame specific, it should give you the basic idea.
Old January 6, 2003, 17:14   #22
AIL
Warlord

I tried to redo Moo1 aswell and at least for me it was a bit too big! I had a starmap with Planets in it, that you could let build factories, bases and ships (only premade designs). Waste was correctly calculated, Klackon- and Meklar-Boni were in and worked. The Ships appeared on the Map, but that's were I stopped it. Anything else you could ask for is not in.

A very difficult thing alone were these 5 Sliders that all interact with each other.
However the graphics of a one person project are very likely to not be better than in the original. Exept he's a good programmer and artist in one person.
AIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2003, 01:27   #23
Kc7mxo
King

One of the biggest reasons I liked moo2, was that the planetary system resembles civ's city managment sytem. You deploy citizens to jobs, and each planet has a maximum number of cities. Planets can only build one thing at a time. . . .

I basically saw moo2 as civ in space, with monsters!
Kc7mxo is offline   Reply With Quote