Old December 29, 2002, 13:19   #1
Ben Williams
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Corruption and waste should be tied to happiness
More people are happy=less crime and better quality of labor. This should not only take effect when you have a we love the ... day (which doesn't do much for corruption and waste anyway). It could also be on a time delay, because the effect of better living conditions take time to yield results. What do you think?
Old December 29, 2002, 23:39   #2
HolyWarrior
Prince

Local Time: 07:26
almost anything would be an improvement
the current system now assumes Washington is the least corrupt city in the country
Old December 30, 2002, 00:53   #3
Chuckles
King

Local Time: 05:26
Anything to reduce corruption would be good.

I do wish happiness had more of an effect.
Old December 30, 2002, 01:40   #4
Bambul
Warlord

Local Time: 23:26
I would like to see some sort of benefits linked to standard of living. eg. Holland is much smaller than Russia population wise, but their economies are roughly the same size. So the standard of living in the Netherlands would be roughly 5-10 times higher than in Russia (going by GDP/capita). I wish there was a way of winning Civ3 by increase your population's standard of living enough, it would give smaller Civs (population wise) a more importnant role.
Old December 30, 2002, 03:23   #5
mullenstephen
Settler

Local Time: 13:26
corruption tied to happiness does make sense in some ways.

in addition to this, i think that the idea that corruption increases the further away the cities get from the capital (or fp) is only applicable until late industrial or modern times. the issue of distance from central command no longer becomes a problem, because travel and communications are so much better. they might be able to remedy this by letting your civ build something like an fbi headquaters after you discover a certain technology. then you could build fbi branch offices in your remaining cities to stabilize your corruption.

then, you could have another sliding meter where you can choose how much gold you put toward corruption control. they could even make it relevant to the happiness meter in that too much gold toward corruption control decreases happiness (ie oppression).
Old December 30, 2002, 03:34   #6
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 14:26
Re: Corruption and waste should be tied to happiness
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Williams
you have a we love the ... day (which doesn't do much for corruption and waste anyway).
WLT_D does not affect corruption (gold) at all. It lowers waste (shields) only.
Old December 30, 2002, 18:42   #7
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Local Time: 08:26
I agree with the idea of corruption decreasing with increasing communication...it always seemed a little odd to me that when you're building satellites you still have to worry about the cities off in the distance 'skimming the till' and so on. The answer "so switch to Communism" doesn't fly, either, but I won't get into a debate of the corruption of various governments.

On the other hand, I readily admit I don't know how efficient/corrupt truly far-flung 'colonies' (not sure how to phrase it, no semantic intent) of a democracy are in the real world- the economies of Hawaii and other Pacific islands tied to the United States ( I think this is the best case of capital-to-city distance in a democracy?) are completely unknown to me.
Old December 30, 2002, 20:28   #8
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

I think that would be a great idea, Ben Williams...with increased war weariness it could help to reduce the advantages of pure war mongers and help builders who have lots of improvements
Old December 31, 2002, 14:52   #9
brianshapiro
Warlord

Local Time: 05:26
HOW ABOUT corruption and waste tied to cultural influence. this way cities with large culture can serve the role of the 'palace', and the forbidden palace isnt needed
Old December 31, 2002, 22:04   #10
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

I'd actually prefer corruption tied to a civs total culture...
Old December 31, 2002, 22:17   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:26
Re: almost anything would be an improvement
Quote:
Originally posted by HolyWarrior
the current system now assumes Washington is the least corrupt city in the country

There is a problem with that model, isn't there?