Old December 29, 2002, 15:12   #1
Mike4879
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
civ4..
I think PTW generally got a bad rap.. I enjoy alot of the improvements to the game even though multiplayer is still lackluster and the code should be more streamlined/customizable to have more civs playing at the same time (possibly larger maps?)

Scenario support is still pretty primitive in my opinion and doesn't even approach Civ2 standards... they definately need to work on this if they are planning a sequel.

Also... BETTER GRAPHICS but CUSTOMIZABLE display settings... we should let the high end people have the nice sweet graphics and the low end people also benefit by toning it down a little.. also gives alot of room for customize (see above)

Overall, the idea of Civ2 and Civ3 have always been on improvement to the original game... With Civ3 we actually LOST some features from Civ2!! (WTF?)

They should aim to make the game more realistic and at the same time more customizable.. atleast that is my vision of it.
Old December 29, 2002, 21:58   #2
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Re: civ4..
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike4879
Overall, the idea of Civ2 and Civ3 have always been on improvement to the original game... With Civ3 we actually LOST some features from Civ2!! (WTF?)

They should aim to make the game more realistic and at the same time more customizable.. atleast that is my vision of it.
I agree with what you are saying. OTH We tend to compare Civ2 AFTER the expansion packs to Civ3 BEFORE any expansion packs. Don't forget the spiffy Civ2 editor was an expansion pack (Fantastic Worlds IIRC) for which we paid extra.

I would be happy to pay for an expansion pack giving an editor as good, and userfriendly, as the Civ2 editor. In fact I am hoping they will release such a pack so I can create my own scenerios and games as easily as I could create them for Civ2.
Old December 29, 2002, 22:02   #3
zulu9812
King

Civ4 will not be coming for a very, very long time...
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old December 30, 2002, 16:11   #4
brianshapiro
Warlord

Local Time: 05:26
dont underrate game design and simplicity civ3 is great in this way. better realism is good, but some of the things people would suggest here to add would make the game run poorly being too complicated or just clumsy. even small things i read on the board are really unthought out in terms of how it would feel to play a game with the suggestions. but i guess some people like Call to Power so maybe i would be shocked at what they would appreciate. btw i also dislike snoopys terrain set its easier to look at but is less aesthetic its obvious why firaxis hesitated including it. but some people like it. it just feels to me people shuold understand why firaxis designers made the choices they did gamewise ,etc. in making civ3
Old December 30, 2002, 16:18   #5
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Local Time: 08:26
I agree I wouldnt expect a civ4 for a long time if at all. Beside that. Now that infogrames runs the show, I expect less customization ability, not more, at least in an initial release. We have already seen that with civ3. They would rather put as little as possible in the initial product and have us pay for an expansion.
Old December 31, 2002, 21:41   #6
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 15:26
hi ,

lets hope that infogrames stay's miles away from this one , ......

have a nice day
Old January 1, 2003, 22:30   #7
Switch
Prince

I wish Firaxis was still in partnership with EA. The publication of Alpha Centauri, and the well worth it expansion Alien Crossfire, were very well put together. The included tech-tree was useful , the original product included a lot of features (including fully-functional multiplayer and scenario editor; the only thing lacking was a faction editor, which was easily fixed with ACEdit), and the expansion added quite a bit (proper faction editor, unique factions, a lot of new techs, improvements, and secret projects, interesting new landmarks, new unit enhancements, and even new alien units).

In this respect, Infogrames is rather lacking .

Personally, I would rather have an Alpha Centauri 2 made with EA, than a Civ4.
Old January 1, 2003, 23:38   #8
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Are you sure , you want EA??
Quote:

The story goes that the Westwood develeopment team working on Renegade wanted to give it more time for polishing and testing but EA, as usual, wanted the return on their investment to start ASAP. To be fair the game had been in development for several years and had undergone many changes in its focus. Renegade was released with middling network code and memory leaks a-plenty.
Old January 2, 2003, 01:03   #9
Switch
Prince

Admittedly, they screwed up with Renegade.
But if they followed the theme from SMAc, then Civ3 would've been a much bigger hit.
Old January 2, 2003, 02:58   #10
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 09:26
The Dream team... Firaxis and Blizzard.!!

Blizzard, for what I know from them. Is the best game company around, battle.net is so great, WC3 was one of the best game of the year, (they have take 4 years to produce the games), WC2, StarCraft was great. But i've never played expansion pack for StarCraft.

Imagine playing civ game on Battle.net with a ladder system

Good evening

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old January 2, 2003, 17:30   #11
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

should we not have a thread where we can post all the nice little ideas for CIV IIII

have a nice day
Old January 3, 2003, 01:50   #12
Switch
Prince

*ahem*

Is this not a thread for CivIV?
Or do you mean a forum?

/me waves farewell.
Old January 3, 2003, 02:03   #13
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Switch
*ahem*

Is this not a thread for CivIV?
Or do you mean a forum?

* Switch waves farewell.
hi ,

guess

have a nice day
Old January 3, 2003, 02:08   #14
Panag
Emperor

1. A "make peace with" option in diplomacy
2. Ability to hire units in the capital out as mercenaries, with renewal every 20 turns. (If not renewed, then *zoom* the unit goes back to the capital. Unrealistic movement, but can't think of any other way to return them.)
3. Give colonies ability to move one of the main resource types (food, shield or commerce) to any city connected by road (default is nearest) and don't have them disappear if in the cultural boundaries of a civ. If within a city radius, then that city's population cannot work on that square. (Yes, I liked the supply crawlers from SMAC.) Also, they don't grow like cities do. Consider them small towns that never really grow in population.
4. Worker project: build docks at cost of one worker. Allow it to be built in same square as colony for those 1 mountain islands that appear from time to time. Ships can't move into square with dock. (Or allow that, but give a high build time, say double that of a fortress, to represent digging the waterway in, and let them be linked so we can finally build canals connecting landlocked seas, etc.)
5. Offensive air superiority. Which basically is send a fighter into airspace where enemy fighters are in the current air superiority mode with the intent of drawing them into combat to destroy them. (This might be moddable, but haven't managed to playtest it.)
6. Air defense ability for units. To make mobile air defense units and give warships AA ability.

hi ,

the above was posted by "sinapus" in an other thread , nothing wrong with that , only that it shall probably be for CIV IIII maybe even civ V , .....

its amazing that so many things can be put in simple games like C&C , and that decent know to work stuff from CIV II is not improved and put in CIV III , .......

one thing we definatly need is units that can lock on targets and stay with them like in C&C , .....

have a nice day