Old December 29, 2002, 23:54   #1
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 08:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Do You Have Back Problems?
My back is hurting after I helped lift something with someone. It hurts every so often. Sometimes I wake up in the morning with as stiff back. I know people that have worse back problems. So do you have a bad back?
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 29, 2002, 23:57   #2
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Local Time: 13:28
Yup a real bad one. Last year when I went to the Lue I bent down to pull up my panty hose and couldn't straighten up. I had to go to the hospital and get muscle relaxers. It happens every now and then. Plus having a vertibra cracked when I was in my twenties doesn't help.

Always lift with your legs not your back
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old December 29, 2002, 23:58   #3
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 01:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Today I pulled a muscle in my back
Old December 30, 2002, 00:07   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

I occasionally have back problems, but not too much. Thankfully.
Old December 30, 2002, 01:44   #5
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Does anyone go to the chiropractor. I dont but some swear that it helps.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 30, 2002, 01:59   #6
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 05:28
If you find a good one, yeah, it helps a lot, with most common back problems.

I've had compression fractures and herniated disks, so there's limits to what chiropractors can do there, but they can still help limit some of that damage, and prevent or limit long-term degenerative effects after traumatic injuries.

The basic deal is that most back damage never fully heals, and you're at best somewhat impaired, at worst subject to faster, slower, or sporadic deterioration of either the immediate area in the back, or of muscles and sensory ability in whatever part of the body has nerves that enter the spinal column in the injured area.
Old December 30, 2002, 02:10   #7
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 18:58
so do you have to go to the chiropracter like a lot or is it just a one time thing? Like how's it different from getting a masage?
Old December 30, 2002, 08:19   #8
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 15:28
Back-problems? Yes, I have them... everytime someone mentions that I should join the army
Old December 30, 2002, 08:54   #9
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

I had back problems over 20 years ago when I was doing roofing. Carrying bundles of shingles and roll roofing (90lb) up a ladder got to my back and shoulder after a while. I went to a chiropractor who spun my head around like the exorcist, that was fun, buy then he put me under a device, said "this is deap heat", and left the room. I laid there thinking about it, what could it be? I didn't feel anything... When he returned I asked him if it was a microwave machine, it was. So, I never went back to him but took a vacation instead. Rest is the best thing for back strain Sprayber, if that's what you have. Also, even a basic exercise regimine can help prevent back problems. Include sit ups oddly enough.
Old December 30, 2002, 09:48   #10
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 14:28
I had schumans disease(or condition) when i was a teenager that still hurts sometimes. I have now got reccuring sciatica. My Mun has that too and osteoarthritis so i will probably get that too. My Illness insurance won't pay out with anything to do with my back
Old December 30, 2002, 09:48   #11
Ironikinit
Prince

Yes. I fell out of a tree while trimming branches a little over a year ago. I landed on my ass and crushed two lumbar vertebrae. 5 days in hospital, one operation. I feel pretty good, but I have to sit up straight.

The conventional wisdom is correct as far as I can tell. Lift with your legs, do sit ups, and don't carry extra weight (that is, lay off the beer and pizza) are all good. Funny how a strong stomach supposedly helps a weak back, but that's what the doctor says. BTW, I don't trust chiropractors. A jock from my high school is now one. Funny, I had him pegged as a used car salesman.
Old December 30, 2002, 10:33   #12
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Stinger, I'm sorry to hear that. You're not alone though, maybe you can find a support group of people who have to endure handicapping illness?

I've got a couple of physical conditions myself that I'd rather not have, diabetes and addisons, both inherited from my mother's side. I take medicines and need to occasionally see a doc but can't get insurance either. My solution was to get a job which provides insurance. At the job interview they can only ask if you have a condition which woukd prevent you from doing whatever the work is. So, I work 20 to 30 hrs a week and mt meds and doctors visits are covered, minus a co pay.

Maybe you could do something like this? How old are you btw?
Old December 30, 2002, 10:38   #13
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
Stinger, I'm sorry to hear that. You're not alone though, maybe you can find a support group of people who have to endure handicapping illness?

I've got a couple of physical conditions myself that I'd rather not have, diabetes and addisons, both inherited from my mother's side. I take medicines and need to occasionally see a doc but can't get insurance either. My solution was to get a job which provides insurance. At the job interview they can only ask if you have a condition which woukd prevent you from doing whatever the work is. So, I work 20 to 30 hrs a week and mt meds and doctors visits are covered, minus a co pay.

Maybe you could do something like this? How old are you btw?
Thanks for the concern, but I'm ok alot of the time. The insurance is only an income protection plan i live in the UK so all medical bills are covered.

I find that swimming helps, and when it does get bad i take ibuprofen and procodomol which usually takes the edge off it.

My Mother can get it real bad though when on holiday visiting my brother in the States we had to go to hospital in New Jersey for her to have an injection to get on the plane home.
Old December 30, 2002, 10:55   #14
Lancer
Deity

Well, maybe going somewhere more relaxing than NJ might help. Most folks go on vacation >from< NJ. I lived there pretty close to 30 years...escaped finally. Sorry about your Moms pain...
Old December 30, 2002, 11:09   #15
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
Well, maybe going somewhere more relaxing than NJ might help. Most folks go on vacation >from< NJ. I lived there pretty close to 30 years...escaped finally. Sorry about your Moms pain...
Its because we missed our flight home form Newark, we were staying in Atlanta but the connecting flight got delayed. We had to stay overnight.

evryone in the hospital spoke spanish, but so does my wife so we were ok. Evryone was great even the prisoner whose feet and hands were chained
Old December 30, 2002, 11:13   #16
Lancer
Deity

Cool

I'd have tickled him.
Old December 30, 2002, 13:03   #17
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Bad back here from too much soccer. Chiropractors are great for putting things back into place. Obviously there are conditions for which they are inappropriate but generally worth a try - they will always start with efforts to diagnose the source of pain, unlike "regular" doctors. I injured my back about 10 years ago shoveling snow and corrected it within a couple of weeks from chiro and massage (my regular doctor wanted to put me on medication and schedule surgery, both of which I resisted).

Get a good chair for sitting at your computer, it can make a world of difference for we who are chained to the machine . . .
Old December 30, 2002, 13:33   #18
Thrawn05
King

The thing with Chiropractors is that most of frauds. If you want to fix your back with them... DEMAND that you use that ultra sonic machine before he cracks you back. The US machine will lossen the muscles, allowing the bones to go back in the proper place. Without it, in about 10 minutes after he pounces on your back, the muscles will pull the bones back to where they were before. Thus, you will continue to go back to the chiropractor and he'll milk the insurance or your pocket.

I have cronic back problems, but this was from surgery done when my lung collasped when I was about 16. The doc screwed up and cut a major nerve. Now that my stature of limitation if up (if you are a minor, the three years don't count until you are 18, and now I'm 20), I can't sue him. In fact, I couldn't sue him even before because the state of Pennsylvania place a moritorium on malpratice suits at the time.

Anyway, I'm in legal limbo, I can't get a real job because no one wants to employ someone who may not show up to work because he needs to goto the ER and stay in a hospital for 3 weeks or so. I can't get federal help because I'm not "sick" enough. So I'm basicly screwed.

Sorry, I just had to let out some steam. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!
Old December 30, 2002, 14:11   #19
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:28
I have a strong back. Occasionally it would hurt. Losing weight has helped that out tremendously. Not having that extra weight around your gut pulling your back forward does help. Trust me.
Old December 30, 2002, 14:13   #20
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 09:28
Quote:
Most folks go on vacation >from< NJ.
Many more folks to go on vacation >TO< NJ. There are no better beaches along the East Coast. The best boardwalks, and GOD, by far the best pizza! And go an hour west and you can go ride horses and pick cranberries . You can stop with your anti-Jersey propaganda, Lancer.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 30, 2002, 14:23   #21
Lancer
Deity

Beaches Imran? You mean that long sandy medical waste dump strewn with aids tainted syringes? Those "beaches"?

Old December 30, 2002, 14:35   #22
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

No, Long Beach Island, Seaside Heights. Long sandy beaches, which nice clear water. No garbage in sight (well except for tourists from New York ). Great way to spend a weekend afternoon.

Hell, even MTV thinks so... it's spent its last two summers at Seaside Heights.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 30, 2002, 18:17   #23
spartak
King

I have two compressed disks in my lower back and one of they has already begun to calcify. Advice, exercise and keep my weight down.

Bah!
Old January 1, 2003, 01:49   #24
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I used to get hellacious muscle cramps in my back every few months. A good stretching program can prevent them. Sit on the floor and cross your legs underneath you. Now lean forward and touch the floor as far in front of you as you can without lifting your butt off the floor. Hold that position while you count to 100 s l o w l y. Problem solved.