Old December 30, 2002, 04:49   #1
cbarrett
Settler

Local Time: 13:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
SMAC schizo
Hi to all, this is my first post. I love this game. I was wondering if someone plays alpha centauri the same way I do. I play a multiplayer hotseat game with myself controlling all 7 factions. Although I can't really sneak attack myself, I try to play honest to each faction as to the information they have. It makes for a long game, but it is fun to see and control how each faction runs. Role playing how each faction would react to its situation can be interesting. However, I feel kinda schizophrenic making deals with myself. I give myself hard guidelines to follow in decisions, like, "dont trade military technology to a faction that could potentially use it against you. I find the dominant factions usually wind up being university, hive, gaians. The believers ususally kick ass at the start but get crushed into submission after the other factions. The spartans are tough to play because its hard to take advantage of the military with such a low industry rating. Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone out there is a SMAC schizo like me.
Old December 30, 2002, 07:34   #2
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 09:28
Heah cbarrett,
I've never heard of someone playing all 7 factions themselves before!?! The thing that I would wonder about then is whether it becomes a matter of how good you are with each faction is the limiting factor as to how well each faction does.
I myself have just finished setting up a SMAX game where the human controls 2 factions, and each of these factions has a submmissive AI along with it. Its designed to combat a 3 AI Juggernaut I've set up led by Zak. Pretty entertaining, as well as pretty interesting seeing what the AI is doing behind your back (i.e. one submissive AI is goading one human player to attack the other, while at the same time trying to pry techs from the same human that it is trying to go to war with!).
Anyways, welcome to the wonderful world of SMAC(X)! Hope you enjoy yourself here!

D

-=Vel=-
Old December 30, 2002, 23:38   #3
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 05:28
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Psycho! But hey, at least you're playing a great game
Old January 1, 2003, 01:05   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Hmm.....That actually sounds like fun....
Old January 1, 2003, 10:18   #5
VJ
King

Hmm... I'll show a newbie question: How can you play hotseat on ordinary SMAC?
I've never tried MP, and quick browsing show me nothing.
Old January 1, 2003, 12:24   #6
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 15:28
I did it but only with 2 Faction and 2 PC's :=)
But I had to restrict myself for them to be at War all time and not letting me Talk (to myself :P )
it was a pretty cool Militarist vs Peaceful Powerresearcher Game :=)
Old January 1, 2003, 16:06   #7
spartak
King

Who won?
Old January 2, 2003, 10:48   #8
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 15:28
Researcher due to HSA
Old January 2, 2003, 13:23   #9
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 07:28
cbarrett

I can't see how you can do this effectively separating out the interest of each faction. For example, If the best believer strategy is to probe rape the university as a prelude to invasion, can you truly "forget" about the probeships coming your way? . . . or do you find that you are patrolling more in that direction as the uni and that suddenly you have decided to upgrade your defences ( in a situation where a third party player might have seen NO signs of impending attack.)

Don't get me wrong . . . I can see where this could be fun but I think I would be second guessing myself all the time as to whether I was being fair to a particular faction--
Old January 2, 2003, 15:46   #10
cbarrett
Settler

You're right it's tough to play the factions fairly. As a defending faction, I'll set up automatic patrol routes. I imagine not knowing the attack is coming. However, there are some exceptions. If university has infiltrated the believer faction, and notices that they are ramping up probe team production, they should "decide" to set up a few extra patrol routes. They might also decide to counter their production with probe team defenses. So, infiltration is critical. But I try not to use my knowledge of surprise attack to do anything different on the defending side. I try to set up my defenses, and react to attacks as they come. As the attacker, I try to scout out their patrol routes and sneak by.
Old January 2, 2003, 17:34   #11
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 16:28
I've played SMAC on hotseat, but I only had four out of seven factions. It was quite fun, although the temptation to cheat was irresistible.
Old January 3, 2003, 03:42   #12
VJ
King

Quote:
How can you play hotseat on ordinary SMAC?
A quick way to gain +1! A quick way to gain +1!
Old January 3, 2003, 06:16   #13
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia
I've played SMAC on hotseat, but I only had four out of seven factions. It was quite fun, although the temptation to cheat was irresistible.
I agree In all of my games the University tends to triumph....He recieves special intelligence from his agents in the other facitons

Also, I would like to point out that this thread shold not be named "SMAC schizo" as schizophrenia is a disease in which you hear and see things. It should be named "SMAC MPD" for Multiple Personality Disorder where u actually change personalities.
Old January 3, 2003, 07:25   #14
VJ
King

hi,

i still would like to get direct orders how to play hotseat as i have never found a way
(that is what i am, a permament newbie)

thank you,

have a nice day
Old January 3, 2003, 09:36   #15
Petek
lifer
Prince

Local Time: 06:28
Tuomerehu,

Have you applied all the SMAC patches? According to the readme,

The v2.0 Update to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri includes several new features to enhance the Alpha Centauri gameplay experience as well as a host of small fixes. Most notably, v2.0 includes Hotseat and Play-by-email multiplayer modes.

The readme goes on to say:

To start a hotseat game, select Multiplayer from the main menu and then Hotseat/PBEM. After setting up Planet, select a faction for each of the human players.

If you're not seeing these options, you probably need to apply the patch.
Old January 3, 2003, 20:36   #16
Xian
Warlord

"During the middle years of his career, bobby Fischer played games against himself and he always won."

Yup your not alone, ive played game vs. myself well actually what happened is that i took control of 3 factions and let the ai do everything else. In the end i teamed up with my 3 favorite factions - gains hive and university vs everybody else. I ought to try it again now that i have the addon
Old January 3, 2003, 21:30   #17
VJ
King

Quote:
If you're not seeing these options, you probably need to apply the patch.
I thought I had the patch, but I've once uninstalled the game and
then reinstalled, so I prolly don't have it, I don't see the options you see.
Thanks.
Old January 4, 2003, 01:48   #18
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 09:28
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Re: SMAC schizo
Quote:
Originally posted by cbarrett:
... I was wondering if someone plays alpha centauri the same way I do. I play a multiplayer hotseat game with myself controlling all 7 factions. Although I can't really sneak attack myself, I try to play honest to each faction as to the information they have... Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone out there is a SMAC schizo like me.
Been there, done that. Been there, done that. Been there, done that. Been there, done that. Been there, done that. Been there, done that. Been there, done that.
It seemed like a neat idea at first, but I ended up quitting that game. I was calling myself so many nasty names I had to go in the other room and cry
Old January 9, 2003, 08:37   #19
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 10:28
Re: Re: SMAC schizo
Quote:
Originally posted by gwillybj

[It seemed like a neat idea at first, but I ended up quitting that game. I was calling myself so many nasty names I had to go in the other room and cry
This is what I'd call a multiple personality disorder...