Old December 31, 2002, 07:22   #61
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 10:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane
As an Elvis fan, I will start my own petition if they dare call the third movie "The Return of the King".
Old December 31, 2002, 11:12   #62
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 15:29
The actor who plays Aragorn has flipped BTW.

He has "become" Aragorn.

When he has some timeleft he goes riding without saddle even if it rains cats and dogs in New Zealand.
Old December 31, 2002, 11:24   #63
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 14:29
Oh...

My...

God...

Old December 31, 2002, 12:55   #64
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:29
I'm sorry Markos, but that's a dumb assertion. During the Middle Ages, and such, the only black people were in Africa. I know this isn't the real world, but its setting is a sort of fantasy Middle Ages.

sigh...
Old December 31, 2002, 14:39   #65
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 15:29
eeeer Sava how on earth did you think that i actually agreed with the quoted text?
Old December 31, 2002, 14:41   #66
Sinapus
Warlord

Local Time: 07:29
Quote:
Originally posted by aaglo
Yeah... and saruman looks like a jew...

Looks suspiciously like a Sith Lord.

"A Gandalf you will not pull on me!" -Yogi, from the Diary of a Crazed Mimbanite webcomic, which appears to be dead. Knew I should have archived my favorite ones. *sigh*
Old December 31, 2002, 16:13   #67
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
eeeer Sava how on earth did you think that i actually agreed with the quoted text?
because I'm dumb, slow, and easily confused...
Old December 31, 2002, 16:30   #68
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 05:29
Saruman is Nazism, the Uruk-hai were the SS; Sauron is Communism, Mordor is the USSR, the black witch of Arnor is Stalin; the elves of Lauthlorien are the French; Gondor is Europe; Aragon is Eisenhower, the Dunedin are the US, and the army of lost souls are Euro emigres to the RSA, NZ, Oz and the States; Harad is Japan; Pippin is the Irish, Merry is the Scots, Sam is the Welsh, and Frodo the English. So somehow the pathetic English midgets win WW2 by throwing a bit of gold in a furnace and the American fighting forces get second billing. Typical.

Old December 31, 2002, 17:45   #69
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 06:29
Tolkien started writting the story in the 1930's so it is no wonder the story line is white dominated and Eurocentric. One has to look at the story from the historical prospective of the time in which it was written not with the hyper-race concenciousness of the 21st century.

BTW was I the only one who thought the two towers deviated WAY to much from the book? Faramir takes Frodo hostige? Elves fight at Helm's Deep? Elrond sends his family away before the end of the series? Bah, the Kiwi director screwed things up this time.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old December 31, 2002, 18:04   #70
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

The writer of the analysis is following his own thought processes, not Tolkien's.
LOTR is racist against trees, depicting Treebeard as slow and shuffling, along with all the other worthless Ents.
Old December 31, 2002, 18:40   #71
Ned
King

The story is about Atilla, et al.

Here is a snippet from the following site: http://www.viking.ucla.edu/volsungs/overview.html

The Saga of the Volsungs is one of the greatest tales of western storytelling. The unknown Icelandic author who wrote the saga in the thirteenth century based his prose epic on stories found in far older traditions of Norse heroic poetry. Volsunga Saga, as it is often called, recounts the mythic deeds of the dragon slayer, Sigurd the Volsung, and tells of runic knowledge. It is a story of love, betrayal, the vengeance of a barbarian queen, and schemes of Attila the Hun. The saga describes events from the ancient wars among the kings of the Burgundians, the Huns, and the Goths and treats some of the same legends as the Middle High German epic poem, the Nibelungenlied. In both accounts, though in different ways, Sigurd (Siegfried in the German tradition) acquires the Rhinegold and then becomes tragically entangled in a love triangle, involving a supernatural woman. In the saga she is a Valkyrie, one of Odin's warrior-maidens, the ones who choose the slain for Valhalla at the end of battle.

In Scandinavia, in the centuries after the Middle Ages, knowledge of the Sigurd story never died out among the rural population. Full of supernatural elements, including the schemes of one-eyed Odin, a ring of power, and the sword that was reforged, the tale remained alive in oral tradition. In the nineteenth century, as the Volsung story was rediscovered, becoming widely known throughout Europe.

J.R.R TOLKIEN AND RICHARD WAGNER

Translated into many languages, Volsunga Saga became a primary source for writers of fantasy and for those interested in oral legends of historical events and the mythic past of northern Europe. The saga deeply influenced William Morris in the nineteenth century and J. R. R. Tolkien in the twentieth. Tolkien, in particular found great inspiration the The Saga of the Volsungs, including the sword that was reforged, rings of power, the dragon on the hoard, and the creature Gollum. So, too, Richard Wagner drew heavily upon the Norse Volsung material in composing the Ring cycle as is discussed elsewhere in the Introduction to this translation.

Among other subjects, the comprehensive Introduction to this translation includes:

Representations of the Volsung Story in Norse Art

Myths, Heroes, and Social Realities

History and Legend: Burgundians, Huns, Goths, and Sigurd the Dragon Slayer

A Note on Richard Wagner and the Saga of the Volsungs

http://www.viking.ucla.edu/volsungs/overview.html
Old December 31, 2002, 18:51   #72
Civfan
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 13:29
I enjoyed the first movie without a thought about race. In the second movie, my girlfriend pointed it out that theirs no Asians, blacks or indians. Its nieve that the director, producer did not have any roles in these movies for other minorities. Again its fantasy, written a many years before but its no excuse for them to do this.
Well thats my thoughts. Happy new years to all
Old December 31, 2002, 19:00   #73
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Civfan
I enjoyed the first movie without a thought about race. In the second movie, my girlfriend pointed it out that theirs no Asians, blacks or indians. Its nieve that the director, producer did not have any roles in these movies for other minorities. Again its fantasy, written a many years before but its no excuse for them to do this.
Well thats my thoughts. Happy new years to all
So, Legolas, should have been Chinese?

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old December 31, 2002, 19:35   #74
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski

So, Legolas, should have been Chinese?

ACK!
Sauron

I beleive he is Atilla the Hun.
Old December 31, 2002, 19:58   #75
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 06:29
Heck, I'd say the movie included lots of different races. Let's see there were people, elves, orcs, dwarves, ents...
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old December 31, 2002, 20:54   #76
axi
Prince

Local Time: 16:29
Quote:
Tolkien is anti-democratic and anti-egalitarian. Men know their 'place', servant-master relations are glorified, particularly all the loyal and dutiful servants (christianity? thou good and loyal servant...), rulership is passed through the Blood, for example if anyone in Tolkien has the blood of numenor, you just know that the odds are they will be more noble, taller, stronger, and fairer skinned than 'fallen' man.
You are right about that and that's what's annoying me most in Tolkien, chiefly in the Silmarillion, where you can see the grand scale of things. If you take the examples of Melkor, Feanor and Turin, they all have in common that they are far more potent than their peers and in addition they are ambitious and rebellious. They will not submit to what they are "supposed to" do. And they will pay for it. Of course one may say that all non-human beings in ME are bound by their fate, and fate in ME is definitely skewed in favor of the "loyal and dutyful servants". Of course this adds another beauty to the masterpiece, since it enhances the tragic element: everybody reading the Silm is actually more or less with the baddies, because they are much more interesting than the others. Man has the ability to shape his own future, so Illuvatar's wish does not matter much, once the 4rth Age commences.

Oh and of course, one can't really understand the beauty of LotR if one hasn't previously read the Silmarillion. This is mostly evident in the last scenes of the trilogy, when everybody leaves for the West...
Old December 31, 2002, 21:38   #77
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
In the second movie, my girlfriend pointed it out that theirs no Asians, blacks or indians. Its nieve that the director, producer did not have any roles in these movies for other minorities....Again its fantasy, written a many years before but its no excuse for them to do this.
For better or worse, its a PC world we live in...
...and unfortunately, whoever gets slotted as the bad guy would complain about unfairness.

Quote:
If you take the examples of Melkor, Feanor and Turin, they all have in common that they are far more potent than their peers and in addition they are ambitious and rebellious. They will not submit to what they are "supposed to" do. And they will pay for it. Of course one may say that all non-human beings in ME are bound by their fate, and fate in ME is definitely skewed in favor of the "loyal and dutyful servants". Of course this adds another beauty to the masterpiece, since it enhances the tragic element: everybody reading the Silm is actually more or less with the baddies, because they are much more interesting than the others. Man has the ability to shape his own future, so Illuvatar's wish does not matter much, once the 4rth Age commences.
Agreed - Everyone who sees the movies should read the Silmarillion - a fantastic book and it really adds to the appreciation and understanding of LOTR.

It can be argued that this is an outpouring of Tolkien's Christian faith too. (The Silmarillion greatly parallels the Fall in Genesis) and by the end of the Third Age, (ie our present time) the will of God (Illuvatar) does not matter much in the world. Interesting to note that the pride of both Elves and Man eventually lead to destruction.

Yeah, I know, Tolkien hated allegory, but it can be argued that it still can/will seep into whatever work he creates.

And that is probably going to open another can of worms in the discussion here - Tolkien may be viewed as a religious elitist. (not that I hold to that though)
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Last edited by hexagonian; December 31, 2002 at 21:50.
Old January 7, 2003, 19:43   #78
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 23:29
The thing that fired me up in The Silmarillion was that the Numenoreans were expected to do whatever the Valar told them to without question. Even though Men supposedly have the ability to affect their fate "beyond the Music of the Ainur", the Valar still expect them to not use their Iluvatar-given brains.
Old January 7, 2003, 19:47   #79
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Again its fantasy, written a many years before but its no excuse for them to do this.
People are *****ing about them changing the book enough as is without the director making pointless changes like this one.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old January 7, 2003, 21:18   #80
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:29
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
Because he is Faded Glory stupid, Mark. Just slap him a little. Only good thing for him.
Old January 7, 2003, 21:21   #81
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava

because I'm dumb, slow, and easily confused...

Oops. I take by my comments, since you already were self-deprecatory.
Old January 7, 2003, 23:16   #82
Evil Knevil
Prince

Local Time: 14:29
Its all to do with drugs, fools. Look at the mushroom and weed references.

It's obvious that the Hobbits represent the Hash dealers, being blissful, always hungry and lazy.

Gandolf is denigrated for smoking weed since the Wizards all believe in the hallucigenic 'peak' experiences from the oft-referenced mushrooms. They believe in magic rings (of mushrooms) and massive demons and dragons that chase them around the room ---a bad trip or what?? Saruman allies with Sauron, as he thinks that there still might be a market for shrooms after Sauron becomes the premier dealer in Middle Earth. The alliance of Sauron and Saruman is supposed to an allegory of the Ronnie/Reggie Kray partnership, simular names and all.

The Ring of power represents cocaine. Cocaine makes you feel all powerful and like a master of the universe(hence the whole power trip thing). It is also highly addictive, and sought after(why Boromir etc scream for it, and Frodo starts to get effected by it). Overdoses of the drug give a schizophrenic, deranged illness (Golem), as well as involuntary movement (Frodo).

What the film represents is the return of cocaine onto the marketplace, and all the other dealers of drugs seek to destroy it, before it muscles in on their patch. The heroes must fight against deranged addicts (wraiths) and ganglanders (Orcs) to destroy the recipe forever, and hopefully remove Sauron, the Middle Earth equivilent of John Gotti (or the Krays) from their patches.

Lord of Rings? More like Lord of the Baggies.
Old January 7, 2003, 23:24   #83
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 21:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Sten Sture
Saruman is Nazism, the Uruk-hai were the SS; Sauron is Communism, Mordor is the USSR, the black witch of Arnor is Stalin; the elves of Lauthlorien are the French; Gondor is Europe; Aragon is Eisenhower, the Dunedin are the US, and the army of lost souls are Euro emigres to the RSA, NZ, Oz and the States; Harad is Japan; Pippin is the Irish, Merry is the Scots, Sam is the Welsh, and Frodo the English. So somehow the pathetic English midgets win WW2 by throwing a bit of gold in a furnace and the American fighting forces get second billing. Typical.

vg

I think you may be in for a visit from one or two highly offended elves however.
Old January 7, 2003, 23:59   #84
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 09:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Axi
But Melkor went to Numenor and corrupted the Numenorean men and made them so arrogant as to try to attack Valinor.
It was actually Sauron that went to Numenor and corrupted the Numenoreans. Morgoth was chained up outside the earth at the end of the First Age.

You can call me his royal highness, King of the Geeks...