Old January 1, 2003, 15:44   #31
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Acererak

You need the following to happen:[list=1][*]You need to have discovered the Satellite tech.[*]You need Aluminum and Uranium resources[*]Finally, nobody can build nukes until someone builds the Manhattan Project.[/list=1]
But be aware...once you've built the Manhattan Project, you have effectively opened "Pandora's Box" and everyone will then be able to build nukes (if they have aluminum and uranium).
Old January 1, 2003, 15:48   #32
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich

But be aware...once you've built the Manhattan Project, you have effectively opened "Pandora's Box" and everyone will then be able to build nukes (if they have aluminum and uranium).
Not unless you have PTW and change it to a small wonder so that everyone has to build their own Manhattan Project.

BTW, why is it called the Manhattan Project? Anyone have any background info on that?
Old January 1, 2003, 15:56   #33
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 09:30
The Manhatten Project (which, coincidentally, was located in Los Alamos, New Mexico, NOT Manhatten) was the (American) nuclear bomb program during WWII.
Old January 1, 2003, 16:22   #34
Acererak
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Not unless you have PTW and change it to a small wonder so that everyone has to build their own Manhattan Project.

BTW, why is it called the Manhattan Project? Anyone have any background info on that?
The Manhattan Project was the code name for the American atomic bomb program during WWII.

It was started in 1942 and was located in what became Los Alamos, New Mexico. In fact, the town of Los Alamos was created solely for the purpose of the project. Presently, the town that exists is basically there to support the Los Alamos National Laboratory, one of the US's key nuclear laboratories.
Old January 1, 2003, 18:05   #35
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Acererak

The Manhattan Project was the code name for the American atomic bomb program during WWII.
Thanks. I was actually wondering where they came up with the Manhattan bit, since Los Alamos is no where near there. Your link explained it for me at any rate.
Old January 2, 2003, 01:02   #36
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 07:30
Mike B Detailed Info on GL Rules

Mike B goes into detail, spread over several posts in that thread about GL's.

The odds for defending are halved (1/32 and 1/24) for example.
Old January 2, 2003, 14:33   #37
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Local Time: 08:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

No you don't, it's something you have to select. I don't like to use it myself, except as a last resort.
Amen to that. Mobilization means your *entire country* is now bent on the war effort. If you need your entire country contributing in order for you to win a war speedily, this raises some doubts as to whether or not you were prepared to fight that war to begin with. Think about it:

If every city is bent on killing the Spanish and you need every city in that effort, what happens if the Spanish convince the Romans to land troops and beat on you? You have to pull troops out of Spain or devote unit production to the new Roman front, and voila, you're suddenly fighting two defensive (you can't be offensive with Spain anymore- you don't have the resources you need) wars that may go a long time instead of one quick, brutal offensive one.

My general rule of thumb is that if I don't expect to snap up several cities in the first two or three turns, or I need to devote more than half of my total cities to the war effort... I probably shouldn't be IN that war.

End of line: mobilization is best used as a "how many units does he HAVE to invade me with!?!?!" tool, if at all. The civilization that cannot grow economically, technologically, and culturally during a war is one that finds itself victorious over one opponent, and suddenly losing to everyone else.

::steps down off his soapbox::
Old January 2, 2003, 20:48   #38
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 13:30
well, I see your point, but sometimes Mob isn't that bad, especially when you can micromanage your civ that way to a better unit production, e.g.: most of your cities churn out tanks every round now, you can get an overwhelming advantage fast.