Old December 31, 2002, 10:28   #1
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 13:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Was Stalin preparing for an attack on Germany before Hitler struck first?
I've read that Stalin had been building up forces on his frontier for some time. Was he planning something?
Old December 31, 2002, 10:29   #2
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:31
Yes.
Old December 31, 2002, 10:44   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 09:31
Actually, as I understand it, the opposite was true. Stalin was given intelligence reports indicating that the Nazis were preparing to attack, but he ordered his frontline divisions NOT to move up to the border and fortify their positions, for fear of "provoking" the Nazis.

EDIT: misread your intent, come to think of it. I read it as "was Stalin preparing to deal with a German attack" instead of "was Stalin preparing to attack westward." Hmm... possibly, but he wasn't nearly ready.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 31, 2002, 11:57   #4
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 16:31
errm, Is it the 'Icebreaker' book? I've heard the interview with the autor, and things seemed to make sense, till he said that the USSR had an advantage cause it had wheeled tanks "because they're able to move rapidly"
Old December 31, 2002, 12:05   #5
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:31
I thought his intention was to wait until the Germans and Brits & French slogged it out, and then he could send his troops in fresh and pretty much unnopposed. An ensuing peace would give him concessions that were his ultimate objective.

The collapse of France screwed things up a bit. Operation Barbarossa topped off the balls up in Stalin's plan.
Old December 31, 2002, 12:07   #6
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 16:31
I also remember this the same way Arrian just posted. Don't know for fact though.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old December 31, 2002, 12:17   #7
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:31
I heard about it, and it does make sense in light of the positioning of Soviet forces.
Old December 31, 2002, 12:33   #8
JCG
Prince

Local Time: 08:31
The Suvorov argument again...based partially on the fact that Stalin's forces weren't laid out defending the frontier but rather in what could be taken for an "offensive" formation.

Well, Stalin continued his treaty obligations with Hitler (like giving him raw materials) up to the very day of the invasion, even when he was given some advance knowledge of Hitler's intentions.

So as far as we can tell, if he was supposedly going to attack Germany, he sure wasn't going to do it at that moment...the question is, would such attack be a month, a year or even several years later?
Old December 31, 2002, 12:40   #9
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Stalin was not laying his forces out in any sort of offensive formation. The Soviet forces were not prepared for the Nazi invasion at all, nor were they preparing any sort of attack. There were a lot of internal problems Stalin was dealing with. And plus, the mass production of T34's wasn't underway until after the Nazis attacked. In fact, many of the tank factories were moved East when the German forces were on approach to Moscow.

It's an interesting idea to think about, but unfortunately, it doesn't make much sense.
Old December 31, 2002, 12:58   #10
spartak
King

Local Time: 13:31
The internal problems Sava refers to include butchering a large chunk of the Russian Officer Corps. Hardly something Stalin would have done if we were planning an attack
Old December 31, 2002, 13:13   #11
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Well, he attacked Finland right after said butchery.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 31, 2002, 14:41   #12
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Well, he attacked Finland right after said butchery.
Look how well that turned out. It was the poor performance of the Russian army during that war that gave credence to the real fears among the allies that Germany could knock Russia out of the war as they had done in WWI with less troops on that front.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 31, 2002, 14:55   #13
Arrian
Deity

I agree that it went badly, and that the purge was stupid. I wasn't trying to say that the attack on Finland was well-timed or executed, but rather to suggest that Stalin didn't think the same way (at least until after the Finnish debacle), and therefore could very well have been planning something, despite it being a bad idea.

-Arrian

Old December 31, 2002, 15:24   #14
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Absolutely. That's why the Red Army fared so poorly initially; they fought a defensive war when they were prepared for an offensive war.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old December 31, 2002, 15:28   #15
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 05:31
Quote:
The internal problems Sava refers to include butchering a large chunk of the Russian Officer Corps. Hardly something Stalin would have done if we were planning an attack
Not necessairly. He might have purged the army to eliminate all of the people who were against him and then when he would have attacked Germany, all of the officers would have been loyal to Stalin.
Old December 31, 2002, 15:29   #16
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

The deplyment of russian forces was midly indicative of attack, but there is not other evidence for it, and much that contradicts such intent.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old December 31, 2002, 16:17   #17
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

The deployment of troops could be agrued either way, but knowing Hitler's success with the Blitzkrieg and the strength of the mechanized Nazi army, Stalin did not have the stength in number of tanks. If T34 production were at its peak before the German attack, then maybe this idea would have merit, but Stalin was not planning to invade Germany. If he was, he would have had a large mobile vehicle force in place, and he didn't... it didn't even exist at that time. Not until Stalingrad did the T34 production really reach monumental proportions.

"Quantity has a quality all its own" -- Lenin
Old December 31, 2002, 16:20   #18
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Re: Was Stalin preparing for an attack on Germany before Hitler struck first?
Yes.

Stalin was slowly building his forces up to the point that he would be able to attack. He was planning on attack in 1944, give of take.

The officer purge was stupid from a military point of view, but not a political one. Trotksy built the Red Army, and many of the officers were still loyal to him, despite the Stalinist lies. Had the purges not taken place before the Stalin-Hitler pact, it is possible they would have launched a coup d'etat (or even if there was no pact). Stalin and the bureaucracy couldn't continue with this potential dagger at their throat.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...