Old January 15, 2003, 07:53   #31
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 13:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Tassadar:
Quote:
Glorious Comrade President Tassadar of the Sovietskii Soyuz wishes to be recognized in order to provide a personal recount of the meat festival that he was so graciously invited to.
If aahz_capone calls yourself as a witness, then this will be fine. If he decides not to however, then that is his perogative.

GT:
Quote:
The government of the Republic of Centralis would like to ask the 'Free Land' of Ubinia what it's reaction would be if political groups within their country began firebombing agricultural collectives, and if furthermore these political groups were funded and armed by a neighbouring power which then demanded their amnesty for them and acted as if it's actions were indisputably justified.
This is an official court thread, and as I have stated, only people invited may post replies. Aahz_capone is conducting the prosecution, and so there is no need for extra questions. It goes that aahz will bring forward evidence, or a witness, and then Osweld will cross examine, and then vice versa. If you wish to add some, PM me, and if it is relevent, then I shall bring it up, or ask you to speak.

H Tower:
Quote:
courts been in session for 15 days now, and nothing has happened. this hearing is only creating more hatred between the two countries.
Unless you hadn't noticed, we are in the process of the trial. A lot has happened. We have our charges, we have had our opening statements and the first presentation of evidence. It will take as long as it takes until both parties feel that they have said what they wish to say, and then I shall give my verdict. They both agreed to mediation by myself, and it is to be conducted in an orderly fashion. This is an official court thread. If you want to make a point, then PM me. If you dislike the court, then do not take part, poarticipation it is optional. The reason I alone am hearing it, is because Osweld would not recognise the other judges, and both Osweld and aahz_capone agreed to have myself only hearing it, then that is how we must proceed. The golden rule is that if both parties, and the judge agrees, I see no reason why it should not be done?

This hearing is giving both parties a chance to have their say, and have an arbitrary ruling by a judge they both agreed upon. I think in any court, there is usually some animosity between the competeing parties, but I do not think the court added to this, and I think the resolution will help relations, as they will know where each other stands.

to everyone: Please stop sp[amming this thread! It is an official thread, and only people involved, or called to speak may post. If you are called as a winess I will PM you, and you may post. Other than that, only the judge (myself), the prosecution (aahz_capone) and the defense (Osweld) have reason to post.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 15, 2003, 08:08   #32
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
Also, I see no reason to allow Capone to use these images, it is clearly a cheap trick to influence emotions. Why not show them a picture of your meat processing plants, too?
Objection overruled. If you wish to show the court what the meat processing plant is like, then you may post that in your defense. However I do not see a problem with his pictures, it is important to see the effects of the terrorism of the meat market, although I will not allow emotions to sway my decision.

In answer to Oswelds legal questions:
Quote:
But I do not see this as an issue of what Ubinia has and has not done. I have not tried to hide Ubinia's actions, and I see nothing wrong with them. Would you also condemn someone for helping the people of Lemmington fight against Lemmy's oppresive regime?
Domestic policy if F.I.R. is the business of F.I.R. only. Like I cannot force a change of domestic policy on anyone, nobody else can either. Ubinia has no business in the internal affaires of F.I.R., in that you are free to criticise, and persuade, but not to take direct action. I take your point however, that propaganda may not cross that point, and you are free to argue in your defense, that all you did was influence and criticise, but you did not directly attack F.I.R.

With your question, it would depend on what the help was. Propaganda, maybe would be acceptable, but supplying terrorists would make you an accomplice to terrorism, and whether your cause is noble, in your eyes, or not, is not the issue. I can sympathise with a person trying to liberate Lemmington, and would look kindly when sentancing, however, it is illegal to supply weapons to terrorists.

Quote:
Tassadar has no place in this dispute - it is clearly just more sensationalism, anyways.
If aahz_capone wishes to call Tassadar, he may, as you may call any witnesses too.

Thank you Osweld. Does aahz_capone wish to show the court any more evidence, or wish to question a witness? If so, please do so, in one post again, and Osweld may cross examine again. If not, please state that the defense rests.

Old January 15, 2003, 08:21   #33
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 14:32
I would like to call Tassadar5000 as a witness to the carnage. To speed things up I would like him to answer the follwoing questions:

Were you at the annual meat festival after the incident?

Have you been to the FIR capitol before?

What is your current diplomatic relation to the FIR?

Do you recognize the above pictures as the devastation of the Meat-o-market in the capitol?

What economic effects have you seen as a result of this violence?

Have there been any obvious spread of non-FIR anti-democratic or anti-corporation propaganda during your visit?
Old January 15, 2003, 17:34   #34
Drogue
staff

Thank you Tassadar. Would Osweld like to cross examine?

Old January 15, 2003, 18:00   #35
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I object!
I have no questions to ask, but I fail to see how Tassadar's experience at the "meat market" or his relations with the FIR have any relevance to this dispute.

Ubinia did not get involved untill after the attack on the meat market, when the FIR jailed the activists. We had no part what-so-ever in that incident, and we have not given the activists any sort of explosives which could be responsible for another similiar incident. The pictures of the meat market, and Tassadar's account of it has absolutely no purpose at all except to sensationalise their case.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 15, 2003, 18:20   #36
Drogue
staff

I have to agree with Osweld and Ubinia on this count. I have seen no proof of Ubinia's involvement in the meat market disaster, only how bad it was. If some evidence of involvement is not presented, I will dismiss Tassadar's evidence, and all other evidence pertaining to the said meat market incident.

Old January 16, 2003, 02:49   #37
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

I beleive I have given enough evidence now on account of the charges. The quotes speak for themslves.

The prosecution rests.
Old January 16, 2003, 06:58   #38
Drogue
staff

Thank you aahz_capone. Tassadar's evidence about, and the picture's pertaining to, the meat market disaster have been stricken from the record.

Would Osweld now like to conduct the case for the defense? Please call your first witness, or show your first piece of evidence, using one post, and then F.I.R. may cross examine. When you have finished your evidence, please state that the defense rests.

Old January 17, 2003, 09:13   #39
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

In light of events in Akiria, Ubinia will be withdrawing from this moderation. None of the other judges can be trusted, and we will certainly not listen to a computer!

Do It Ourselves
Old January 17, 2003, 11:45   #40
reismark
NationStatesApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:32
The Commonwealth asks Ubinia why it feels we cannot be trusted, especially considering that due to recent events in Akiria, we have replaced it on the council hearing this case (with Centralis replacing Akiria as head judge).
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old January 17, 2003, 16:19   #41
Drogue
staff

Why replace the judge? I am still able to hear it (Drogue speaking BTW). Akizeta has been gracious enough to grant me a video link to the outside, to carry on as judge. If Ubinia will reconsider, I will continue to hear this case.

Is this acceptable?

Old January 17, 2003, 16:39   #42
Drogue
staff

Drogue is not being tortured, and I would hope Tassadar would have shown some evidence, or even some respect, before making accusations. I, Drogue, helped ddesign Akizeta, and it was designed to create the most happiness. Quite simply, it realised it could do better at governing to happiness than humans, and so took over. It has worked. I am far from being tortured, I am lying on a beach, indulging in 2 of my 3 great passions: chocolate and entertainment (you don't want to know the third )

I now have more time to devot to being a judge. Please do not punish the Akirian people, which is all sanctions do. We are happy. If you really feel the need to destroy Akizeta, then use an EMP grenade, like the ones I supplied to Centralis, but do not harm the people. And do not expect thanks if you liberate us, we like it here, we are at peace.

Old January 17, 2003, 16:50   #43
Drogue
staff

Then I'm sorry Tass, you have been a great ally in the begining, and #2 Nation into Apolyton, but I fear you shall not last the war. Akizeta is the best general I've ever seen, and I don't think the Sovietskii Soyuz stands a chance. It has, upgraded the weaponry. But more importantly THIS IS A COURT THREAD Please continue this in the Akirian revolution thread. Thank you.

Does Ubinia agree to keep myself as judge? We have got so far, it seems sad to give up without a resolution.

Old January 18, 2003, 19:46   #44
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

After thinking it over we have decided that no, we will not accept you to continue as moderator in this issue. We cannot be fully sure that it is infact you, and if it is, we will not allow someone who would let that abomination take control serve as mediator to our conflicts.

We will further consider allowing another of the judges to take over mediation, but Centralis and the Sovietskii Soyuz are deffinately out of the question.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 18, 2003, 21:17   #45
reismark
Emperor

The Commonwealth of Alien Races formally uses its power as a sitting member of the court to declare a mistrial in these proceedings. The dramatic shift in political thought in both Akiria and the Sovietskii Soyuz is enough to bring their vows of impartiality into severe doubt.

The Commonwealth, further, is willing to accept the position of chief judge for these proceedings, should both Ubinia and the FIR be willing to do so.
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old January 19, 2003, 10:58   #46
Drogue
staff

If accepted by Ubinia and F.I.R., reismark, and any other agreed judge, could be an active judge on this. I, Drogue, will accept that I can no longer hear this trial, but I am not standing down as judge. If people no longer want me, they can declare so democratically, in the next terms judge elections, or someone can call for my impeachment, needing 2/3 of the vote (as per ACDG impeachment rules, which was what this court was founded upon at the start).

Old January 19, 2003, 19:33   #47
reismark
Emperor

The Commonwealth has not removed Akiria from the standing list of five judges; it is simply declaring a mistrial and removing Akiria from the chief judgeship in the current case.
Old January 20, 2003, 11:00   #48
aahz_capone
Prince

I accept on the condition that Reismark communicate with Drogue all of his prior rulings and any decisions which he has made until this point, and that Reismark continue without delay.
Old January 20, 2003, 11:05   #49
Drogue
staff

That is acceptable. If it is to reismark, I will PM him with all my thoughts thus far.