Old December 31, 2002, 17:54   #1
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Here's one I've never seen before.
I'm currently at war with the orange AI civ. I take a city that happens to be the orange capital. The civil war thing happens and the orange civ is now orange and yellow. I really like the civil war thing. I remember the first time that happened... . Anyway, so when the empire split the orange capital (i just took it so only my mech unit is showing there) flips from orange to yellow as the civil war results happen. A second later it flips from yellow to blue, my color. The part that is new (for me anyway) is now I control a number of yellow units. They are in the Units supported window on the city screen. Now, control is pretty limited. pretty much only what you can do when you right click on the unit in the support window. But, it's much easier to get rid of those nasty rebels by disbanding them!

Of course, I have the saved game on the current turn.
Old December 31, 2002, 22:55   #2
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 08:32
Does it continue or disappear in succeeding turns??

If you have the .sav from the turn before, does it repeat if replayed??

Is there a respawned orange civ??

Were the orange/yellow civs allied??

Sorry if the questions are too many. Maybe it's better to keep the mystery for I agree, this is very odd.
Old January 1, 2003, 03:09   #3
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 07:32
I've had that happen on the Mac version of Civ II as well. I get a lot of pleasure disbanding major units such as armored divisions, battleships and aircraft that, technically, aren't mine (and it doesn't involve activating the cheat menu).

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old January 1, 2003, 11:46   #4
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
I've had that happen on the Mac version of Civ II as well. I get a lot of pleasure disbanding major units such as armored divisions, battleships and aircraft that, technically, aren't mine (and it doesn't involve activating the cheat menu).

Gatekeeper
But even though it's not technically a cheat... doesn't it feel like a cheat? I mean, the poor AI has enough handicaps....

And I have no idea why that happens... of course normally all the orange units supported by the captured city are destroyed when you capture the city. But I guess in the course of dividing the empire and re-assigning which units belong to the orange and which belong to the yellow civ, the program accidentally rehomes them to the capital.

Did you save before capturing? Were those units you now see on your supported list, supported by the city before it fell? Or were they added during the schism phase?

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old January 1, 2003, 20:08   #5
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 14:32
MWHC
Do you play on a Mac?

(never experienced or heard of any remote control of enemy units when playing on a PC)
Old January 2, 2003, 14:32   #6
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

STYOM:

IMHO, the AI's handicaps are more than made up by the advantages it gets. Besides, I play in "realism" mode, which means no ship chaining, no rings of air bases surrounding cities and no airbases on mountaintops (among other things).

I haven't saved the games in which this occurs mainly because I didn't think much of it at the time. I usually get it every other game, generally because I let the AI civilizations grow to huge sizes if they're not near my starting point (I like modern warfare).

Gatekeeper

Old January 2, 2003, 17:53   #7
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
STYOM:

IMHO, the AI's handicaps are more than made up by the advantages it gets. Besides, I play in "realism" mode, which means no ship chaining, no rings of air bases surrounding cities and no airbases on mountaintops (among other things).
Well....... how 'realistic' is it to be able to disband enemy units (over which you otherwise have no control) because of a glitch in the game? I'm not criticizing, or saying my way is the right way... just asking. I admit to shipchaining , but I seldom if ever use airbases. To each his own.

I'll probably never get to the point where splitting an AI Civ is an issue, anyway... it's very rare for me to not be #1 in population, and in those games I pick on the weak, or fly to AC. But, it'd be interesting to see if the units you can control were originally based in the capital you captured... or if they are somehow assigned to it during the schism phase

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old January 3, 2003, 03:31   #8
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

STYOM:

True ... to each their own. I don't make much use of airports, either, and ship-chaining is a foreign concept to me.

As for the units, they were probably property of the city in question ... but could have been "assigned" to the city due to proximity during a rebellion.

Gatekeeper

Old January 3, 2003, 08:41   #9
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 14:32
BTW, who thinks it is realistic to own a caravel which needs more than a millenium to sail across the map ?
Old January 3, 2003, 11:27   #10
King

Quote:
Originally posted by La Fayette
BTW, who thinks it is realistic to own a caravel which needs more than a millenium to sail across the map ?
Well, true... and how realistic is it for a troop of horsemen to take 50 years to move 2 spaces? Horses don't even live that long... are we assuming that new horses are foaled and trained from the old ones during that trip?

For that matter the riders don't live 50 years either, back in the 4000 BC era.... anyway...

Hey, I'm not knocking shipchains... it just seems like an exploitation of the rules. It certainly doesn't seem to have been an intended effect. But to make it work, you still have to build several ships and defend the shipchain, which can be difficult sometimes. So there is a cost to running them... a balance if you will.

Old January 3, 2003, 14:51   #11
Thoth
King

Local Time: 09:32
Shipchaining may or may not have been intended, but they've been available in Civ I, II and III.

(yes, I use them. )
Old January 4, 2003, 15:04   #12
Caesar the Great
Emperor

well i don't ship chain... just rehome caravans
Old January 4, 2003, 18:53   #13
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Caesar the Great
well i don't ship chain... just rehome caravans
Naughty Caesar ... ship chains OK ... but rehoming ... you may as well go into cheat and set your gold level.

----------------------------

SG(2)
Old January 4, 2003, 19:24   #14
King

I don't rehome 'vans either... but if y'all are doing that, I'm going to start reloading bad hut results

Old January 4, 2003, 19:43   #15
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

...and bad combat outcomes, too!!
Old January 4, 2003, 20:16   #16
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloody Monk
...and bad combat outcomes, too!!
I do that already

Old January 4, 2003, 20:49   #17
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Hey ... [New York Accent] Come on fellas ... dat Caesar guy was just having a bad day ... yeah [/New York Accent]

-----------------

SG(2)
Old January 4, 2003, 21:11   #18
Caesar the Great
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits

Naughty Caesar ... ship chains OK ... but rehoming ... you may as well go into cheat and set your gold level.

and i've been sitting here using my own 2 caravans like a sucker....
Old January 4, 2003, 21:30   #19
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Caesar ... Apolyton always has the answers

--------------------------

SG(2)
Old January 5, 2003, 01:07   #20
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Bah. If an enemy civilization pisses me off — say, by winning a victory or something — I just go into "GOD" mode and wipe them out w/the "Kill Civ" option or, better yet, create 100 nuclear warheads and drop them on their cities, oftentimes hitting each city three or four times, just to guarantee it ends up back in the Stone Age.

Gatekeeper

Old January 5, 2003, 01:22   #21
Bloody Monk
King

And the winner is...!!!GATEKEEPER!!!!
Old January 9, 2003, 17:12   #22
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

I don't see the re-homing caravans a cheat. Sure, I guess from outside the city detail screen you get some message saying it's not allowed... but it works fine from within the city management screen.

You still have to build the caravan and move it to the city you want to support it. I know this has been talked about before here.

But re-loading a game because of a bad hut or lost battle, why on earth play????
Old January 9, 2003, 17:24   #23
King

That's what my was for, MWHC.

Old January 9, 2003, 18:11   #24
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV I don't see the re-homing caravans a cheat.
Build a freight in a size 2 city that happens to be a commodity demanded by a fat AI civ. Send it to your capital/SSC and support it from that city and ... bingo you increase its value 10 times.

It's quicker to enter cheat and set your gold level

----------------------

SG(2)
Old January 9, 2003, 18:32   #25
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
It's quicker to enter cheat and set your gold level
So true...
Old January 9, 2003, 19:27   #26
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:32
thats why we ban this in mp games
Old January 9, 2003, 19:52   #27
King

Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
thats why we ban this in mp games
You ban the use of the cheat menu? Spoilsport

Old January 9, 2003, 20:59   #28
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:32
hehe, no we ban the use of rehoming but me thinks some players are doing it anyways
Old January 9, 2003, 21:21   #29
Caesar the Great
Emperor

there really is no way of enforcing it, unless of course you go back through endless saves... of course if someone is caught doing this, I doubt they'll be playing with anyone here any time soon

If its legal and everyone does it in MP, I really don't see the problem with it. After all oil drilled in Alaska doesn't generate commerce for Alaska, instead it generates commerce for the city which sells the oil. Taking the goods from one city to another - not terribly unrealistic.

Who cares if its not available in the orders menu, perhaps that was a bug (not like bugs are unheardof in civ2)
Old January 10, 2003, 09:17   #30
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

There's no way to enforce a lot of rules in MP games without going back and checking endless saves.

Honor is a must.

RAH