Old January 1, 2003, 08:57   #1
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 14:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Chinese "problem"?
Is China going to be a problem for the west? Will China become a superpower anytime soon and will there be a new cold war?

A friend of mine once said that China should be destroyed before they get too powerful. Even today they can probalby easily conquer half of Russia and most of Asia if they want to.
And of course theres the environmental questions like what will happen when all Chinese families get cars an so on.

Or is everything gonna be allright?
Old January 1, 2003, 09:05   #2
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Substitute "China" with "America", and take a look at your post again.
Old January 1, 2003, 09:17   #3
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 15:34
Someone suggesting destruction of a nation just because they are powerful should be destroyed. If they were aggressive, OK, but China has had nukes for years and could conquer lots of countries but does not.
And don't worry aboyt Chinese cars.
If all Chinese used cars the way Americans do, after one year there would be no oil left on the planet so the pollution wouldn't accumulate for a long time.
Old January 1, 2003, 10:18   #4
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 13:34
Re: The Chinese "problem"?
Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf
A friend of mine once said that China should be destroyed before they get too powerful. Even today they can probalby easily conquer half of Russia and most of Asia if they want to.
This isn't a computer game.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 1, 2003, 10:35   #5
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

We're just waiting for that huge frigging dam to fill up then we're going to torpedo it!

Superpowers bore me.

Old January 1, 2003, 11:31   #6
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 06:34
Re: The Chinese "problem"?
Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf
Even today they can probalby easily conquer half of Russia and most of Asia if they want to.
When the Chinese stuck their big toe into northern North Vietnam, the NVA stomped on it good and sent the Chinese scurrying for home.
Old January 1, 2003, 11:39   #7
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

The following is a complete list of invaders that the Vietnamese haven't sent scurrying for home...
Old January 1, 2003, 13:19   #8
mindseye
King

Local Time: 21:34
I think your bloodthirsty friend has little to worry about. China seems more interested in space exploration, maglev railways, agricultural biotech, and the like than invading anybody - which is more than can be said for a great many nations of smaller military stature.

As for superpower status, it's hard to see that far into the future. Certainly China is well on the way to "great power" status. If they can sustain the present rate of development (a formidable challenge) they may well, in some decades, attain superpower status.

Right now China is completely pre-occupied with its whirlwind internal development. Please inform your rather simple-minded friend the he may sleep peacefully, at least for the foreseeable future.
Old January 1, 2003, 14:19   #9
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Also, tell your blood-thirsty friend that if the US and China ever come to war, it would be of apocalyptic proportions where the US can forget all their population centers west of Mississipi.

The only winner of this war would be Osama bin Laden and his fundamentalist brethrens.
Old January 1, 2003, 14:21   #10
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

China!
Old January 1, 2003, 14:28   #11
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:34
China will be a superpower again, no matter what the West nor anyone else does about it. Historically China has been the most powerful nation on Earth, and the last two-three hundred years are just a period when they were overtaken by external barbarians. The Middle Kingdom will rise again.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 1, 2003, 14:33   #12
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Yes, but with a nicer face .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 1, 2003, 14:37   #13
chequita guevara
Emperor

One hopes.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 1, 2003, 14:51   #14
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 07:34
Perhaps as China modernizes, its development will help drive the scientific effort to find a better energy source for humanity than oil, coal and fissionable nuclear energy. After all, an industrialized nation of 1 billion plus people — combined with America, Russia and Europe — would surely deplete the coal and oil resources fairly rapidly.

C'mon, fusion power! We need a breakthrough there!

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old January 1, 2003, 15:26   #15
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I agree with those who have said that China does not appear to be a threat in the immediate future. However, China's demographic trends are a nightmare and I'm worried about what's going to happen a generation or two down the road. Let's hope it all works out all right.
Old January 1, 2003, 16:08   #16
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

It will never happen. We have nothing to fear from China. They will pose no more threat than the USSR did.
Old January 1, 2003, 16:46   #17
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

China's got some demographic problems. By 2050, China is projected to have a median age of nearly 7 years more than the US. Not as bad as Italy, but still. Nobody's going to be able to retire!
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old January 1, 2003, 17:25   #18
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by LDiCesare If they were aggressive, OK, but China has had nukes for years and could conquer lots of countries but does not.
PR of China, like must other dominate nations, has been quite aggressive over the last half century. Not counting the 30 year civil war the communists started there has been the invasion and continuing occupation of Tibet, the invasion and occupation of half of Korea, the threatened invasion of Taiwan (this has been detered by U.S. many times since the late 1940's), the invasion and continuing occupation of 1/3 of Kashmire, two border wars with the USSR, and at least one border war with the communist Vietnamese.

That seems like a pretty impressive list of foriegn wars for a country which, until 20 years ago, was so poor it routinely had people starving to death.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 1, 2003, 17:31   #19
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
China's got some demographic problems. By 2050, China is projected to have a median age of nearly 7 years more than the US. Not as bad as Italy, but still. Nobody's going to be able to retire!
Like they retire now?
Old January 1, 2003, 18:49   #20
Kontiki
King

I think the real question is how much will the US fear China. Given their current momentum, or even a reduced level of it, China is bound to catch up with the US eventually (granted, it's going to take a while). As they get ever closer, you have to watch the US reaction. As the current dominant force in the world, the US isn't going to like challenges to it, whether or not they are hostile. It's not like the US will be unique in this aspect - it's pretty much a given throughout history.
Old January 1, 2003, 19:01   #21
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 08:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Kontiki
I think the real question is how much will the US fear China. Given their current momentum, or even a reduced level of it, China is bound to catch up with the US eventually (granted, it's going to take a while). As they get ever closer, you have to watch the US reaction. As the current dominant force in the world, the US isn't going to like challenges to it, whether or not they are hostile. It's not like the US will be unique in this aspect - it's pretty much a given throughout history.
i concur.

i also see china as more of a scientific/economic power than a military power, maybe they can get nasa some funding
Old January 1, 2003, 19:04   #22
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Arise! Ye who refuse to be slaves! With our very flesh and blood let us build our new great wall!

With an anthem like that, China is bound to rise!
Old January 1, 2003, 19:42   #23
JimmyCracksCorn
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
Arise! Ye who refuse to be slaves! With our very flesh and blood let us build our new great wall!

With an anthem like that, China is bound to rise!
Yeah... too bad its communist

And the way I see it, China is becoming more and more powerful and prosperous as it becomes less and less communist.

I think when and if it eventually becomes a super power, it won't be a communist one.
Old January 1, 2003, 19:44   #24
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
Well right now we need China to put the smackdown on their vassal North Korea.

Mis Novias
Old January 1, 2003, 19:47   #25
chequita guevara
Emperor

China's just using capitalism to build up. One they have the inudstry and technology, it's back to communism. You'll see.
Old January 1, 2003, 19:49   #26
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
The question I have, that everyone seems to be overlooking, is what happens when Russia rises again? The feeling I get is that everyone has counted Russia as being down and out permanently for the count, and that India and China are destined to become the top dogs. I see India as a Brazil and China could go either way. Russia, however is destined to take its seat again at the top with the big boys.

Mis Novias
Old January 1, 2003, 20:25   #27
ranskaldan
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
China's just using capitalism to build up. One they have the inudstry and technology, it's back to communism. You'll see.
arGH!

The way I see it, 150 years from now, when China has enjoyed a half-century of dominance and its electorate has gotten bored, that's when the far-left will come to power. That's also the beginning of the end.

In the meantime, however, I predict that over the next 50 years, the rich and powerful nations of the world will become increasingly bound together in webs of alliances. Major conflicts between superpowers would finally end. Instead, the world will become a grand show of "Class Struggle" - rich nations against poor nations. Europe, NAm, and the Asia-Pacific would band together to fight off the scavenging poorer nations with increasingly unequal wars, while the poorer would respond with massive terrorism.

And as for North Korea - yes, it's somewhat of an embarassment for Chinese foreign policy. The North Koreans should sit down and shut up before something nasty happens to them. And the Chinese won't cross the Yalu to save their asses this time.
Old January 1, 2003, 20:25   #28
Oerdin
Deity

Russia is a good 50 years (at least) out of the big leagues. Call it a post-communist hang over if you will.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 1, 2003, 20:29   #29
ranskaldan
Prince

Call it a speeding perestroika that went over a cliff. They should have slowed down and taken the curve gently. Like China did.
Old January 1, 2003, 21:06   #30
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Russia is a good 50 years (at least) out of the big leagues. Call it a post-communist hang over if you will.
That's a rather odd term to use, considering it is Stalinism that got them almost up to speed with the rest of Europe, even against great odds.