Old February 11, 2000, 21:51   #31
David Byron
Warlord

Local Time: 01:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
eisduotres: if its true that being governor gives you a bonus of +1 energy to each base then add that to your total because with plenty of small cities + Planetary Transit and maybe Empath Guild becoming Governor is a piece of cake for the Borg, especially if two of the 6 AI are aliens of course.
Old February 12, 2000, 01:23   #32
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

First off apologies for getting this thread off track. That being said....

Considering a today view point a labor sided industry vs. green enviro friendly industry battle certainly exists. I submit though that this is a side battle if you will and still not the primary focus of labor.

However, if we turn the clock back to the late 1800's to early 1900's when the industrial revolution was in full swing and mega-monopolies existed everywhere from coal, steel, railways, oil etc. The archtypal Monopolists J. P. Morgan, Carnegie, Getty, etc. ruled the world. In those days the labor interests struggled moreso against the monopolists then they did against governmental interferences in eco-policy. One outgrowth of this obviously was communism (wherein it was corrupted to the point of making a Yang police state faction to model the stereotype of ~1930-1970's style communism). The other was obviously the emergence of labor unions and labor parties. To make a long story short the monopolists were historically THE nemesis of labor.

In those days the cause of labor was to initially improve working conditions and expand its membership to presumably expand it power base. Improving working conditions included safe working environs which meant of course a number of safety as well as environmental regulations coming to pass. Coming from a strictly US view (apologies to those reading this from outside the US), adoption of initial OSHA and EPA regulations came during the heyday of Labor Power.

I submit that today, labor is finding it's power base diminished and as a result has had to adopt viewpoints that are somewhat of a compromise. Case and point, labor has today worked with industry management to fend off job elimination in the auto industry by improving productivity and efficiency. It's beef with enviromental policies stems from the belief that the world is not a fair workplace/market and that overly restrictive enviro regulations puts a domestic industry at a disadvantage and hence jobs and membership are at risk.
I beleive if one really wanted to represent the beliefs of a labor faction a penalty to overall trade should be a result. When you look at today, the labor interests have vehemently opposed free trade policies moreso than any other policy (example Seattle riots over Pacific rim free trade and other protests re: NAFTA) and as a result I think the case can be strongly made that free marketeers are the real perceived enemy of labor.

All in all, a labor friendly faction for my money would be most opposed to free market then any other SE choice considering the present and history of labor.
[This message has been edited by Ogie Oglethorpe (edited February 11, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Ogie Oglethorpe (edited February 11, 2000).]
Old February 19, 2000, 17:51   #33
Ned
King

Local Time: 17:52
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I just completed my second game as Domai. Conquer victory, hugh map, Transcend in 2259! That's the best I have ever done.

One trick I found that I will use from now on is to pick a base for your next Secret Project in advance, build 3-4 armored formers and put them into use next to the base you pick. When you begin the Secret Project, just move those formers back into your base, add their 60+ minerals to the project, and build the Secret Project in turn one.

Ned
Old November 22, 2000, 12:47   #34
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Bump

:Getting down off soap box:
Old November 23, 2000, 11:31   #35
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:52
Despite my apparent title leanings, which harks back to the days of the original SMAC when my favourite faction used to be the university. But in terms of suiting my style, the drones are the men. That +2 industry is a delight for a faction bonus. -2 research. Bugger it, build a network node Because it is quick for you to do, especially if you have planned and wealth on as well in a phase of growth...a mean faction...

Power to the people
Old November 23, 2000, 11:34   #36
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:52
quote:

Originally posted by Ned on 02-19-2000 04:51 PM
I just completed my second game as Domai. Conquer victory, hugh map, Transcend in 2259! That's the best I have ever done.

One trick I found that I will use from now on is to pick a base for your next Secret Project in advance, build 3-4 armored formers and put them into use next to the base you pick. When you begin the Secret Project, just move those formers back into your base, add their 60+ minerals to the project, and build the Secret Project in turn one.

Ned

Are you sure you don't mean crawlers? I presume you do...

Old November 24, 2000, 01:23   #37
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

The -2 research doesn't hurt so much in the early-mid game, the time it hurts is in the very early game - no research points at all in the first 10 turns.

But once you get them going, you can fly - the industry bonus can eb a real booster, especially if you run demo/planned wealth - +4 industry andthe ability to pop boom!
Old November 27, 2000, 00:54   #38
Gothar
Settler

After reading this i tried a game with the drones. I was running demo/fm/wealth. I was in a pact with the cyborgs so was still getting techs. It was all right but they weren'yt my absoloute favourite faction. Research was to slow for my liking.