Old January 2, 2003, 20:36   #1
Chrisdrawmer
Settler

Local Time: 13:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Civ3 crashes at start of modern times
I've been playing Civ3 for a while now at different leels but every time I reach modern times it crashes with an error message saying civ3.exe has caused faults. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
Chrisdrawmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2003, 14:41   #2
zulu9812
King

Did you mod the game?
What are your system specs?
Are you using up to date grafix drivers?
etc, etc...
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
zulu9812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2003, 20:15   #3
Chrisdrawmer
Settler

I have not modded the game and I am running version 1.07f.
System is intel p111 800, 768 mb ram, nvidia tnt pro with 32 mb vram, 48x cdrom, 21 in digital monitor. I have downloaded and installed the latest video drivers.

I hope this gives some clues.
Old January 3, 2003, 21:31   #4
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 14:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisdrawmer
I have not modded the game and I am running version 1.07f.
Well, then the first thing for you to do is to get the 1.29f patch. It may resolve your problems. Besides, you will be enjoying a better game!
vondrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2003, 23:50   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:38
which you can get here
http://www.firaxis.com/downloads_detail.cfm?file_id=58
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2003, 19:00   #6
Chrisdrawmer
Settler

I have tried using the 1.29f patch it crashes immediately or gives an error message syaing the cd is not in the drive.
Old January 4, 2003, 19:08   #7
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

You won't like this but: do you own a legit copy of civ3?
If not, get one. If yes, sorry

Maybe you should try to reinstall the game and/or DirectX. If this doesn't help, reinstall your Windows.

If this makes you happier, I had to reinstall my Windows on jan.1 because it decided that doesn't want to work in 2003 anymore A clean install (of your OS), that gets rid of all the garbage that sums up in time, is needed from time to time.
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2003, 17:48   #8
Raion
Prince

Windows 98 seems to break down about every year and a half. Get updates from Microsoft, as they change a few things, even in IE they change the OS. Back it up.
Now, I am running Windows 2000 Professional, and as soon as Microsoft develops an operating system, then someone can let someone else know.

I run Windows 98SE as a second OS under Windows 2000 Professional. At least now I can copy the entire freakin' OS system to a partition on the hard drive, except the Windows swap file for virtual memory managment. The backup, sorta did not work though, and now, so far, I have not tried to copy every file of the OS to another partition, but I just may.

Usually one has to go through all the updates from Microsoft again, when re-installing the OS from scratch.

Until Microsoft comes out with an OS, many things can ruin the OS, not the least is Microsoft and updates (Critical) are essential. (to make the OS run in the first place).

Windows XP is a fine example.
Raion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2003, 15:02   #9
zulu9812
King

Windows 2000 Pro is a fine OS, although it was crippled by compatibility issues when it first launched. It is, however, very stable and I've had no issues with it. You're right about XP though...
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
zulu9812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2003, 18:46   #10
Chrisdrawmer
Settler

OK folks, thanks for your help. I finally bit the bullet, backed up my 15 gb of data, I work from home quite a bit, reinstalled everthing and bingo Civ 3 now works and I can play to the end. Mind you the 1.29f patch still doesn't work but I should care. I can now start working my way up through the levels and think about some of the wonderful mods available.

One again thanks for everything.
Old January 11, 2003, 20:54   #11
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

In what way does 1.29 not work?
(Is't almost requierd as it solves many (smal) issues)
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2003, 16:32   #12
Raion
Prince

The 1.29 patch should work, might try increasing the virtual memory manager so it is constant.

IGII (Imperium Galactica II) said to have a swap file to disk of 500mB, and making it constant sure helped that game.

I run the limit of the OS now for games -- 1gB minus the file space needed to have such a large virtual memory in the first place. And it is constant, meaning the minumum and the maximum are both set for 1gB, so Windows does not have to change it on the fly, or try to go up with it during the game. Remember the OS has to change everything, anytime it needs more memory to play the game, while the game is going on. If it is constant, then Windows will not interfere with other threads while the game is going on.

Might try that!!

There has always been one thing about the Civilization game, and that is -- does one have a Civilization to play it with -- meaning an OS that actually really works.

The game is kind of a test, I guess.
Or I like to think of it being that way.
Raion is offline   Reply With Quote