View Poll Results: What should we build in Naples?
UN ceasefire, doves dominate diplomatic democracies 4 57.14%
Defensive, flashy fighters frighten frustrated foes 1 14.29%
Moderate, marketplaces might mitigate mongol masses 1 14.29%
Aggressive, clever crusades crush cowardly countries 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 2, 2003, 20:52   #1
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 08:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Mongol invasion of Naples
The monstrous mongols trampling on the pristine city of Naples trouble President HTower greatly. Presently we have 2 mongol dragoons visible, as well as a Frigate loaded with units only a few turns away.

Currently we have 2 Riflemen and a diplomat behind citywalls for defense.

What should we build in Naples to blunt this audacious thrust?

Three options:

Ceasefire - Let the mongols deal with the doves of the world.

Defensive - Rush build a fighter. We will lose shields and increase discontent while sinking enemy boats near Naples.

Moderate - rush Marketplace currently being built, building fighter a few turns later. Saves shields at the cost of a few turns.

Aggressive - launch crusade on Mongols. Start with fighter while adding units from rest of New Apolytonia. No Women's Suffrage increases discontent.
Old January 3, 2003, 01:40   #2
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:38
like any good democracy, i say protect the cities....sink the boat with a fighter
Old January 3, 2003, 03:23   #3
rjmatsleepers
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 13:38
And yes we have no bananas
we have no bananas today

RJM at Sleepers
Old January 3, 2003, 03:56   #4
geoffrey arnold
Call to Power MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCall to Power PBEMCivilization II PBEMCivilization II MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:38
hay isnt this suposed to be my job
Old January 3, 2003, 04:36   #5
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Sorry for no bananas. I can't edit the post without a mod so please forgive me.

Next round of polls I can post TWO banana options in every poll.

Geoffrey- if you don't like the plan tell me what we should do instead. I need to figure out what to build in this city, and since there were several good choices, I poll. If you want a destroyer, say so and I will build you a destroyer. I have no input as to where military units go, or who we should use them against, only whether we should build some units. Co-ordinating an assault, picking an enemy is all a part of the military advisor package. Shade would know more than I, if he's lurking, I invite him to chime in.

I put in the crusade option since HTower suggested this as an option.
Old January 3, 2003, 16:06   #6
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 15:38
I want vote BANANA,
because the only solution is to destroy the nearer mongol city (Kazan ?)

Last edited by JCP; January 3, 2003 at 16:16.
Old January 3, 2003, 16:33   #7
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:38
JCP is obviously a dove, he condones the attacking of our precious lands and only encourages other nations to follow suit.

by not making an example of the mongols we show that we are soft
Old January 3, 2003, 16:46   #8
geoffrey arnold
Call to Power MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCall to Power PBEMCivilization II PBEMCivilization II MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:38
Im in the prosses of finding out what the citizens want to do at the moment. one of the things I was thinking of was biuld ships and units. I relized after puting up the post that our jobs would overlap sory about the comment
Old January 3, 2003, 22:41   #9
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

It is Minister of War Geoffrey Arnold's responsibility to post polls and report to the President concerning the defense (or offense) required to defend our cities and organize any offensive actions we should take.

It is Minister of City-Planning obiwan18's responsibility to arrange city production according to the general needs of the other Ministers regarding emphasis of individual cities output of shields, trade, etc, and placement of workers on the appropriate terrain.

City-Planner does not undertake the defense of the cities, and War does not determine where workers will be placed to best accomplish his needs.

For example (using Naples): The City-Planner looks at Naples itself. He can decide, for purely city reasons, that it needs a harbor or a marketplace. Absent any specific requirements from other Ministers, that is what he will recommennd to the President.

But the Minister of War might have a great need for a Dragoon in Naples. Unless there is a compelling need for something else, the Dragoon should be recommended by the City-Planner and workers moved to accomplish that efficiently.

But suppose the Minister of Trade wants a Freight from Naples. It's not up to the City-Planner to decide, it is up to the President to weigh the conflicting recommendations from each Minister.

It is worth noting that no Minister can enforce a recommendation on the President, for precisely this reason.. All Ministers are equal, and conflicts must be resolved by the President. Note that, in the example of Naples, it is not the City-Planner who decides, nor the contesting Ministers of War and Trade, but the Preisdent.

When there is conflict, there has to be one decision-point. (But, equally when there is not a conflict, Ministers rule).
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old January 4, 2003, 19:07   #10
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

we have a destroyer in naples already that I've been using.
Old January 5, 2003, 01:08   #11
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

I apologize for the confusion between the city planner and the Minister of War. Of course it is the MoW's job to plan the defense of naples. I hope that in the future the MoW and city planner will be able to work together to come up with a plan for what is needed, and where it can be built.

Perhaps the MoW could present an estimate of what units he feels are neccessary to successfully defend naples? Then the city planner could figure out where it would be best to produce those units