Old January 7, 2003, 00:53   #31
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 13:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I have.
Old January 7, 2003, 03:31   #32
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:40
what causes the game to turn accel production on? This happened in the PTW democracy game.
Old January 7, 2003, 03:45   #33
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

OK I still have a problem. Both of my saved games (4000 and 3950 BC) still show accell. production- even when loaded properly.
Old January 7, 2003, 05:58   #34
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

You didn't have this the first time you played -did you?
Old January 7, 2003, 06:18   #35
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 14:40
Is the easiest way to sort this out going to be to simply start again?

I had a good position but I'm not bothered if starting a new game is the best way to sort this and get on.
Old January 7, 2003, 10:14   #36
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 09:40
We should be able to keep the starting positions. If Flandrien as administrator can take Dissident's 4000 bc turn, make sure AP is off, and then Dissident can replay.

And make sure we all use the Multi-Player load method!!!
Old January 7, 2003, 10:25   #37
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 07:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
what causes the game to turn accel production on? This happened in the PTW democracy game.
This is a bug that can generate when the game is loaded through SP instead of MP.

I don't think we have to start all over. We can go back to where it first happened and make sure to load through MP.

Or we can continue to play with accelerated production on. If we have people who load through SP its just a matter of time until it clicks on again.
Old January 7, 2003, 10:36   #38
Mazarin
Prince

But dissident was the first who played it...and he says that in his 4000BC-turn it is already ON -even when loading through the MP-screen
Old January 7, 2003, 11:51   #39
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Hmm - can he not reset it before playing the first turn.

Interestingly - I was coming here to say I think I may have been the guilty party. There are some issues in the ptw-demo game, and in the discussion - dejon posted this:

"There are dangers with every method. I remember the save getting screwed up on the first turn because someone loaded through the MP menu and had the Accelerated Production turned on - we had to back up and redo turns."

Which remided me that when I played my first turn, I did it as recommended - via MP. But I played a turn on another pbem game just prior to that, and in that game we are using AP. Not sure if that would affect things or not. dejon suggests that it could.

But Dissident's 4000BC save was before I even touched the game, so there goes that theory.
Old January 7, 2003, 15:11   #40
CerberusIV
lifer
Emperor

I suspect that sometimes the settings for the previous game you were playing are not reset, hence AP coming on.

The good news is I have checked the original savegame I got from Andy_Hammer and played it again and it seems not to have AP on. I will send the next turn to Betahound and Flandrien. Could you both have a look at it and check if it is OK?
Old January 7, 2003, 16:39   #41
Flandrien1
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

This bug is really freaking me out.
The same save game can either start with or without accellerated production, depending on god knows what.

The only thing I know is this:
After you selected the game file, and before you press launch, check the acc.prod flag.
If it is blue (switched on), DO NOT CONTINUE.
In stead, re-load, re-start civ3, do whatever you want until the flag is displayed black (switched off).
Only then can you play the turn.
Old January 7, 2003, 17:00   #42
CerberusIV
lifer
Emperor

I have never played with AP on. I suspect that if you try to start a PBEM turn and AP comes up as on, the way out is to go back to the main menu and either play a turn of a SP game that has AP off or start and abandon a SP game with AP off. That should make sure it is off and then you can try the PBEM game again
Old January 7, 2003, 18:41   #43
Beta
lifer
Deity

3950 save sent to Dissident.

Here was my experince today. I am playing strictly by the set of rules Sir Ralph and GhegisFarb laid out a ptw-demo game thread. I will go an get them for the next post.

Started up MP, and played my other pbem game turn first. It was using AP. I played it and saved it, which takes me to the main screen again, hit MP, and notice that AP is on. Turn it off. Load Living Large save, and play the turn.

This is the same process I used last time, but I didn't check the AP. So, if it wasn't on by the time it made it to me, I could have been the culprit.

Will not happen again.
Old January 7, 2003, 18:46   #44
Beta
lifer
Deity

Here was the post:

Proposal for a common rule to play a turn:

Start the game

Hit Multiplayer

Make sure, Location is set to Local games and not to Internet.

Hit Host

Make sure, the Game rules are standard. At the left side, all options shall be checked, at the right side only Preserve Random Seed and Allow Cultural Conversions. Especially make sure, that Accelerated Production is not set.

Set Game Type to Play By Email.

Set Game Mode to Load Game.

Choose the game to load in the dialogbox.

Hit Launch.

Enter your team password.

Play the turn. It is not allowed to save and reload during the turn, due to the production bug.

Save the game after the Save and Exit dialog shows up.

The file name shall be the name the game proposes by default.

Send the turn to your successor.

Post "File sent" in the Saved Game or PBEM Game Thread
Old January 7, 2003, 19:20   #45
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

turn sent

and actually I may be the guilty party. I had a game going on that does use Accel. production. I completely closed out civ3 before loading this game.

It appears to be normal. I passed it on.
Old January 7, 2003, 19:32   #46
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I think I have it figured out. And I probably was the one to mess it up Because I loaded the first turn 4000BC using the multiplyaer/host game method. So I think I messed it up on turn 1. Yesterday I loaded the first and second turns through the multiplayer/host game method. And both had accel production turned on. the reason for that is below.

When you click on host a game, the options for the last game are still set. And the last game I created had accelerated production turned on. When I loaded with it clicked on the game loaded with accel. prod. turned on. But when I clicked accel. produciton off. Then loaded the game, it loaded correctly.
Old January 7, 2003, 19:36   #47
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

So here is my proposal.

I don't suggest loading through the single player game as that can accidently lead to problems.

But if you load through the multiplayer/host game method you have to be sure to check for what I mentioned above.

So after you go to multiplayer. Hit host game. Then click your name and hit launch whatever (note: you won't have to do this if your locatin is set for local). This leads you to the game setup screen. What happens here is civ3 remembers what the settins were for the last game you created (and my last game did have accel. production- sorry). What you want to do is make sure accel. production is unchecked. then after you uncheck it, then you can go to the load game on the drop down menu.

Now accel. production seems to be the only option that has a problem. We should make sure all the other settings are correct. The last game I created had small world, accel production, regent, roaming barbs, and a few other settings I can't recall right now. I don't think these setting carried over. Just the accel. production bug.

I'm thinking game rules is the only thing that may carry over. So even though this screen is to create a new game- these game rules carry over when you load a game. So before you hit load game make sure you don't have any weird game rules checked.

Last edited by Dis; January 7, 2003 at 19:42.
Old January 7, 2003, 19:46   #48
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Update. Yes this applies to other game rules as well.

I clicked regicide and elmimination. Like I said this screen is to create a new game. But if you load a game through this screen you end up changing the rules to the game. I loaded living large and it loaded with regicide and elimination turned on.

So before you load the game make sure you have the standard game rules checked, and no weird one checked. I believe we are playing with the entire left column checked, and preserve random seed and cultural conversions on the right side checked. Nothing else should be checked when you load the game.
Old January 7, 2003, 20:14   #49
Mazarin
Prince

turn sent to ghengis and flandrien...everything was ok now, hope that this won't change too quickly
Old January 7, 2003, 20:25   #50
Beta
lifer
Deity

Dissident - right on with your comments.

As I said in the pbem bug thread - it would be nice of pbem games a) had their own launch option from the main screen to avoid this nonsense and b) would carry around the game settings fixed to the game save and c) a more fool proof method of making sure you only see what you are suppose to see.

Also - your observations jive with the Ghengis/Ralph methodology I posted above.

(yah - we could call it the Ghengis-Ralph method )
Old January 7, 2003, 20:35   #51
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Sent to Andy_hammer and Flandrien.

Everything was fine.
Old January 7, 2003, 22:25   #52
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yeah that's the same thing in the PTW democracy forum. didn't notice that at first.

Yes following those instructions should prevent any further complications.
Old January 8, 2003, 04:20   #53
andy_hammer
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:40
sent
Old January 8, 2003, 13:09   #54
CerberusIV
lifer
Emperor

Turn sent to Betahound (and Flandrien). No problems.
Old January 8, 2003, 20:09   #55
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

turn sent out
Old January 8, 2003, 20:51   #56
Mazarin
Prince

turn sent
Old January 9, 2003, 15:25   #57
CerberusIV
lifer
Emperor

3900BC sent
Old January 9, 2003, 22:05   #58
Beta
lifer
Deity

oops - forgot to post - turn sent. Couple of hours ago,
Old January 9, 2003, 23:17   #59
Mazarin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
oops - forgot to post - turn sent. Couple of hours ago,
how could you forget? I thought increasing our postcount was the only sense of all the turn sent posts in this forum...

(+1)
Old January 10, 2003, 00:08   #60
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazarin

how could you forget? I thought increasing our postcount was the only sense of all the turn sent posts in this forum...
I have noticed that side effect to PBEM games.