View Poll Results: Which version of AU 203 are you playing?
PTW 1.14f 10 35.71%
1.29f 5 17.86%
AU Mod 10 35.71%
Not playing 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 5, 2003, 11:47   #31
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 05:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Here is 500 A.D. a little after my war with China. My expansion is now over, and I have the GL. However I don't have an FP even started and I just now got the techs to change governments.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	500ad.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	33201  
Old January 5, 2003, 12:03   #32
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 13:41
The German Empire 780AD
Not being able to finish off riders and cavalry on 1hp 1 square into their newly aquired territory can be quite limiting. It may be some time before I can sign another Military Alliance.
It's odd that the Chinese, who are razing cities, actually wanted Salzberg as it is clearly the most likely to flip.
In many ways it is worse just to have 1 superpower.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	thegerman.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	33204  
Old January 5, 2003, 13:29   #33
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

I've been doing some building with 5 cities for 500 years. It's not impossible for me to win from this position. It largely depends on whether the Chinese can really win by domination.
So far, they're doing well. The English and Aztecs were quickly eliminated. Even Persia only lasted 10 turns.
Of course they might switch to communism and just lose.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	mini.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	33211  
Old January 5, 2003, 13:56   #34
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Local Time: 09:41
I'm fairly far along in my game right now, (1500's AD), and things are stable, though not great. China controls most of the world, having taken out the English, Romans, and Aztecs. Persia is also very large, and is currently removing the Russians from the surface of the world. I have been attacked by the Chinese on two separate occasions, but managed to hold them back thanks to a wall of forts and musketeers along my Western chokepoint. A few culture-flippped cities from the Russians also expanded my Eastern holdings, though I am still the smallest land in the world by far. I have fallen far behind in techs, about 4 or 5 behind China and Persia. My only plan now is to try and hang on until the industrial ages, and then wait for the inevitable clash between Persia and China to start my Communistic war machine. I'll post some pictures shortly...
Old January 5, 2003, 14:12   #35
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Bad news...

The Aztecs just declared war on China. China will just swallow them up and keep on moving

Even worse news: Babylon just declared war on me. They are the 3rd place civ (just ahead of me, just behind Persia)

My relations have been great with China. They have never attacked me. Probably because I have been trading them a few luxeries for gpt.
Old January 5, 2003, 14:27   #36
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Im really in trouble now.

China, the huge dominating force in the world, asks for my asistance in the war vs. the Aztecs.

"Uhh, ok, but i will need Astronomy in order to help you punish them"

So I have a RoP and a alliance with China vs. The aztecs.

Then Babylon and Rome sing a alliance against me.

I have just established a Democracy. Im running 0% science and have one scientist reserching Gunpowder.

Btw, China is "Gracious" twords my "puny Civilization"
Old January 5, 2003, 15:08   #37
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 07:41
Nor Me: Persia got wiped out?? That wasn't supposed to happen. Your game seems to be the only case where that happened though.
Old January 5, 2003, 15:36   #38
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

OK. I've got communism. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ideas.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	33220  
Old January 5, 2003, 15:40   #39
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nor Me
Cry?

Better learn to make won-tons to welcome your new Chinese overlords...
Old January 5, 2003, 16:51   #40
BigDork
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ZargonX
Better learn to make won-tons to welcome your new Chinese overlords...
I'd have to agree. That doesn't look to promising.

BigD

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old January 5, 2003, 18:13   #41
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

I don't believe I've ever heard of the AI getting a domination win. You have to defend the human race. We are all behind you.
Old January 5, 2003, 18:44   #42
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Funny note...
I saw Rome's starting point here before actually seeing it in-game, so I was extremely shocked in the early game to get a message telling me Rome Has Built the Colossus. And he has a second city, Veii, to the North.
Old January 5, 2003, 19:21   #43
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Quote:
I'm really sorry.
Old January 5, 2003, 19:58   #44
Action
Chieftain

I think Nor Me's Chinese just got lucky.

In my game the Chinese Babylonians and Persians were about equally dominant. The Aztecs maintained a large primitive empire but were eventually carved up between the Chinese and Persians. The English Romans and Russians were subjugated. This has made it really easy to keep up in tech by trading with the top three powers. Additionally, once I got communism it was easy to get the other two into a war with Persia (#1 at the time) and wipe them out while keeping everyone in communism.

Currently persia is dead and all I have to do is team up with the Babs to wipe out China then finish off the Babs. Should be pretty easy. So yeah, I'd say it's real bad luck if one civ dominates the map before you get communism.
Old January 5, 2003, 23:28   #45
ducki
King

Is that also at Monarch, Action? (just to see how the different levels compare)
Old January 6, 2003, 00:26   #46
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 08:41
Ducki, you are probably palying Emperor, where the AI gets a free settler. Rome was founded on the spot then the second settler moved to found Veii...

I started my game and was involved in an ancient age WW. In fact, I think I have been overly agressive with blocking the chokepoints: I ended up by fighting all the AI except England, Persia and the Babs (i didn't know them at the time...) They almost all had alliances between them. I sued for peace but I had to pay a lot... I missed all the wonders up to date, but the race is still open for Glib and Hanging Gardens.

I have expanded as much as I could (using Ducki's first pic, I went up to east of Leipzig and one tile north of the southern patch of furs).

This is my first serious game at monarch and I find this quite hard. I,m sure I'll get used to it!

I have a question: when an AI breaks a deal (let's take when he makes peace with me when he is still allied with an other AI, to take a totally fictious case), does he suffer a reputation hit as we do? It would help me a lot if they did!!

--Kon--
Old January 6, 2003, 02:57   #47
Action
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki
Is that also at Monarch, Action? (just to see how the different levels compare)

Yeah thats at Monarch (thats the difficulty right below Emperor right?).

And heh I might have over estimated how easy it will be to take out the Chinese, it's turning into a full scale modern war era.
Old January 6, 2003, 09:45   #48
ducki
King

Kon, I'm also on Monarch, finding it very difficult, but mosly due to the limitation on warmongering.

Wow, did I really just say that?
Old January 6, 2003, 10:37   #49
Bluefrog
Chieftain

I’ve played the hell out of this game this weekend, no doubt putting unnecessary strain my relationship with my girlfriend, heh. But this is my first AU game, and I’m finding I really like having certain goals in the game, and certain rules of conduct to abide by. If I find time, I may go back and play the other AU “classes”, as it were.

That said, last night, on Monarch, I was able to get into the Industrial Age without being forced into war. The Chinese and Persians had 3 wars between them, mostly crossing through parts of my territory. I had totally walled off my chokepoints, allowing them only to move through a city I was able to sneak into the Gem-infested jungles to the south. Trading luxuries to them regularly really helped in staying out of war…they tried offering me MPPs and the like, but I refused each time.

My plan was to get the tech for Panzers, build up an army, switch to Communism and begin the assault on the Chinese. This plan was thwarted after discovering I didn’t have any oil! Thanks, BRC. :P I was hoping to keep my warfares at the panzer-level and above, and didn’t really feel like using Cavalry…this didn’t feel like it was in the spirit of the game, but you do what you must. After checking the map, I decided the most defensible source of oil I could overtake was the Babylonian isle of tundra, which was pretty close to me anyway. So, to communism, then war I went, mainly with infantry and a few cavalry, and took the first city. Mass-produced Panzers formed the second wave (thanks to my Iron Works! ) and soon the isle was mine. Peace was called for, so I could focus on my continental concerns.

I turned my attentions on China, launching a diversionary attack near their capital with the help of the one sea square between me and a beachhead. Also sending in some bombers to disrupt things on their capital helped add to the chaos. By this point I was in the modern age, pumping out MI and panzers, so I swarmed the area south of my western chokepoint, taking the former English cities, and stopped once I claimed the one-tile chokepoint south of the main Chinese holdings. Persia had been at war for quite some time with various points, and was thrust into Anarchy…so I sued for peace with China and assaulted Persia, while it could not bolster its force. By this point, Persia was one tech shy of being able to build tanks, so I was golden. Currently I have St. Petersburg, a size 17 metro, surrounded by panzers and mech infantry, starving it down. I’m several techs ahead of Persia, and am hoping to strike towards Persepolis and nab the wonders therein. I may cut back in science for a few turns to push my treasury up to a few grand, and concentrate on using my elite spies to spread propaganda to their anarchist cities.

All in all, a fun game. I’m oscillating a bit at this point, not willing to overextend myself in any particular direction. Due to their isolation, I’m going to leave Babylon alone for a while…though I might take their luxuries I don’t have. The major thing I’m noticing about Communism is that I don’t have to deal with war weariness. Some cities aren’t as productive as they could be, but with the size of my empire at this point, my outer cities are very productive. I didn’t check my corruption level before the switch, but I should have. And since I prepared myself to be in Communism, and was in it before I started wars, the other civs are caught offbalance when they must switch to a non-representative government when their people start rioting from war weariness. As for tech, my research is a little slower now, but it’s a difference of a couple of turns, so nothing utterly damning by any means. When I play some more tonight, I’ll probably mobilize, and see how fast I can pump Panzers out.
Old January 6, 2003, 11:47   #50
laissez-faire
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:41
Germany :: Monarch :: AU Mod 1.14

ACT I - A Pacifist Germany

I managed to make it to both chokepoints, but bypassed the furs completely thinking I could fill it in later. Dariush Kabir slipped behind me and claimed that fur bed.

At any rate, this has been difficult just to stay even and I've been playing catch up all game. My diplomacy has been littered with tributes and paying of demands.

There have been three Sino-Persian wars over history, all of them fought on my territory. (I cut off Persia's military in hopes the Chinese would raze DK; they occupied it instead. ) Other than that, no major territory has swapped hands. The other civs have been extraordinarily nice to me, perhaps because of the early temples I slapped into Berlin and Leipzig.

Germany entered the industrial age in 1345 AD. They have the GL, SC, STC, and ToE to their name and missed STWA, NU and HD all by a total of 4 turns. I just discovered replaceable parts and have begun amassing arties and infantry. Not sure what my next move is. The Germans are currently slightly behind China, Persia, and Babylon who are all on even keel with each other. The Aztecs linger on the other side of the globe.

Now the real adventure begins...

Last edited by laissez-faire; January 6, 2003 at 22:16.
Old January 6, 2003, 14:05   #51
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Bad news, comrades. The AI still hasn't learn't to win by domination. The Chinese razed all the Russian cities and did not resettle their territory.

This is the second time I've used Communism and I've used it for the same purpose: industrial age REX. Its the perfect goverment for this but it just just doesn't happen often enough.

So while the Babylonians and Chinese have been having an on-off nuclear war, I've been expanding my territory and building. Just one problem: time is running out. Its 1900 and I've not got Steel or Scientific Method. I don't think I can avoid a Histographic loss but I will probably try and do as much damage to the Babylonians as possible, hopefully (very) eliminating them.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1900.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	33284  
Old January 6, 2003, 15:51   #52
trickey
Prince

Ok, I'm not in too bad of a situation.

I have just got communism. I am about 4 techs behind China, Persia, and Babylon.

My next move is too take out Russia. I have about 30 Cavalry and 10-15 muskets in a stack Right outside my Border with Them. here is the situation.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	pic for postin.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	33293  

Last edited by trickey; January 6, 2003 at 15:57.
Old January 6, 2003, 15:58   #53
trickey
Prince

Here is what i have outside Russia (I have more, but can't show all at once, see the shift up/down thing)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	units for postin.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	33295  
Old January 6, 2003, 16:04   #54
ducki
King

Would it make more sense to attack China and at least get a couple of techs out of the deal? Or are they too strong for you to take 2-3 cities?

It seems that attacking the weakest will only get you further behind, though I may not know what I'm talking about.
Old January 6, 2003, 16:53   #55
trickey
Prince

Btw, 2 turns after i Got into Communism, I destroyed Russia (China actually got credit though, cause they declared war and then took the last Russian city) .

EDIT: Nevermind, i got my Cavalry right outside my border. When i moved my first one in, i didnt like what i saw. The Chinese city was defended by Infantry. I dont really want to take m chances with Cavalry vs. Infantry in size 12+ cities.

Maybe Babylon??

I'm assuming Persia has Infantry also, so they are out of the question.

Last edited by trickey; January 6, 2003 at 17:59.
Old January 6, 2003, 18:38   #56
Action
Chieftain

I'm really liking this game. Why? This is the first time for me that I've ever had a full scale modern era game which wasn't just trying to build a spaceship or cleaning up.

I'm in a full scale modern war which is really a stalemate so far. I've got the better tactics but he has about 5x the units I've got. I'm confident I'll win eventually, as long as he doesn't nuke me too many more times. The AI even built a ton of modern armor, good job AU mod. Hes used bombers extremely effectively too. He bombarded a luxury I only had one of and sent half my cities into civil disorder.

Communism has seemed pretty effective. I only switched once I built up my core and learned the vast majority of techs I planned to. I then added about 2x as many cities as I previously had and corruption remained managable throughtout the empire. Unfortunatley most of the captured cities had been devestated into uselessness, but the ones that weren't and are located in good sites are now extremely productive, rivaling my core. While I would never switch to communism as a non religious civ in a space race game (unless I wasn't going for the spaceship) but it seems like it could be almost overpowered if I had been able to expand before communism. For example, Perseopolis is producing 100 sheilds and 11 waste. (Not in WLKD) BTW, total corruption number includes a ton of crappy little cities with no police station or courthouse yet so it could go even lower.

Red = Palace, Purple = FP, Green = Extent of Pre communism territory. China = Enemy, Babs = MPP, Almost All post communism territory gains are from Persians.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	civ999.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	33306  
Old January 6, 2003, 18:58   #57
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

The only game that I can recall where I'm rooting harder than for Nor Me in this one was when someone was beaten early but "escaped" with a settler on a galley and proceeded to try and survive for a comeback.

Now that the Giants have been eliminated from the NFL playoffs, Nor Me is all I've got.
Old January 6, 2003, 19:12   #58
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Since there's still 125 turns left (starting in 1950, it's 1 turn = 1 year), my guess is your much more likely to lose both via Culture (Chinese starting their razing of cities a few cities short of Domination) and via spaceship than histographicly in 2050.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nor Me
Bad news, comrades. The AI still hasn't learn't to win by domination. The Chinese razed all the Russian cities and did not resettle their territory.

So while the Babylonians and Chinese have been having an on-off nuclear war, I've been expanding my territory and building. Just one problem: time is running out. Its 1900 and I've not got Steel or Scientific Method. I don't think I can avoid a Histographic loss but I will probably try and do as much damage to the Babylonians as possible, hopefully (very) eliminating them.

Last edited by joncnunn; January 7, 2003 at 11:46.
Old January 6, 2003, 19:32   #59
trickey
Prince

Ok, this is going to be risky, but if it pays off, i could win.

I am going to go after Babylon. Babylon has a mpp with Persia. I have a Mpp with China. I'm *hoping* they will beat each other down. If one clear winner emerges, im screwed. But, if they both get weakened, then fall into communism, i should be able to come through.
Old January 6, 2003, 20:34   #60
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
Since there's still 125 turns left (starting in 1950, it's 1 turn = 1 year), my guess is your much more likely to lose both via Culture (Chinese starting their capture a few cities short of Domination) and via spaceship than histographicly in 2050.
Only Domination and conquest are allowed victory type. I think Nor Me is going to lose by histograph, although he did a great job with the Russians and Persians!

But I guess I'll lose much more pathetically... as a combination of first game on monarch and restrictions we've imposed ourselves. But it's OK, I'm having fun!

--Kon--