View Poll Results: Which version of AU 203 are you playing?
PTW 1.14f 10 35.71%
1.29f 5 17.86%
AU Mod 10 35.71%
Not playing 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 18, 2003, 22:34   #211
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 07:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A funny thing happened on the way to the forum
Before I get to the funny, I just got refining, and if my Galleons move fast enough, I might have Oil without having to fight for it.

I don't know exactly what I did differently, but I seem determined to win peacefully, even though I know that's disabled.

Actually, I really, really want a war, but I just can't bring myself to revolt just yet. /sigh

Anyway, this pic made me laugh out loud.
Silly Caesar! Go away before I make a salad of you!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rome_demands.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	34326  
Old January 19, 2003, 08:22   #212
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 09:41
My account of the game will be short but the game is very long:

We stayed in demo and achieved research parity or leads, except the Babs.

Then we went commie and made a drive for the SE Persian oil supply. (Some oil was "discovered" near our capital right after our heroic efforts to obtain it were concluded.

After that, we turned on China, allying with Persia and then played oscillating wars with Persia and China, the only two civs left on the land mass. When attacking China, especially, they could outproduce us. So, we just let them invade with about 8 MA each turn, bombarded the stack to redline, and practiced leader creation. Slow work, but it bled China enough so that Persia, our alley, could make inroads, which they did not defend well. Later, we turned on Persia again and ended up with the Chinese holdings in our hands. This is not over yet, but it is inevitable that we will win barring nukes. Arty is making the difference
Old January 19, 2003, 14:53   #213
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Re: A pretty bad loss
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae

What behaviours are those? I feel like I dictate how I play the game, but maybe I've been playing Emperor so much that I'm not sure whether my "behaviours" are in reaction to the AI or not.

Dominae
I'll try to clear up what I meant by my earlier post, forgive me if it gets a bit off topic, but since the points I'm making were really highlighted by AU 203 and this exchanges started in response to my 203 loss...

For me, once I reach a difficulty level that can provide any reasonable challenge for the first part of the game (emprorer), the game's rules seem to force me into two particular behaviors that are not really strategic choices, because to not take those routes is suicide.

The first, is the early tech-extortion war. How many of us, after all, make this a corner stone of our early game, simply because there is no reliable way to peacefully keep up with the AI research in the early game.
For me, this leads to frustration when the AIs are all in the second tier ancient age techs and I am working my way to Republic, and none of them will trade with me for anything because I don't get the trade multiplier.
Because I don't want to be frustrated, I engage in several tech extortion wars until I hit the point in the mid to late Middle Ages when I can keep the competitive research edge.

So for me, at least, these wars are not a strategy, but a forgone conclusion.

This is really what I was referring to, and 203 preventing me from having such wars really highlighted for me how much I dislike the need for these wars. If my need for them is common, then it is a result of the game rules (not really the AI) and there is probably nothing AU can do, if it is not common then maybe I'm just not a skilled enough micromanager to get by without bullying my neighbor.

I could mention a few other things that I consider in a similar way, but unless there is interest in this thread I'll go ahead and post them in another more relevant one when I've had the time to reason out my thoughts.
Old January 19, 2003, 15:18   #214
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Fosse, the fact that you see tech extortion as the only way to keep up on Emperor means you've still got a lot to learn, and nothing else (pardon me if I sound like I'm patronizing you). This very thread is full of AARs from games where tech extortion wars were not a necessity (in other words, the games were won without them). In my game, I never extorted a single tech. So your anger that the higher difficulties require a restricted set of behaviours is not validated by this example.

Actually, I quite sympathize with your situation. Right before the summer, I almost quit Civ3 altogether because I felt it was an overly simple, once you'd figured out some basic facts about it (like, the "necessity" of tech extortion). I posted a lot of semi-rants on the topic, in fact. I ended up not having access to Civ3 for the whole summer, so the I never actually "quit". But since "coming back" in September, I've learned a lot more about the game. In my AU games since (all on Emperor), I cannot recall two that were even remotely similar, strategy-wise (check out my AARs).

I'm not saying the aren't silly things in the game that higher difficulty levels push you to do. I posted a list of these in a thread entitled 'Dirty Tricks' a while ago. What I am saying is that tech extortion is not among them. But things like ROP exploits are sometimes too good to pass up. If you do not like those things, I've got no answer for you.

If you're not completely disgusted with Civ3, try reading other people's AARs and figure out what they did differently from you. You'll improve your game (and your enjoyment of it) in no time. The whole point of AU is to get you to improve your game by doing trying new things.

Hope to see you around AU in the future.

Dominae
Old January 19, 2003, 22:58   #215
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:41
Lessons Learned Pt 1
I’ll state my initial biases up front. I wasn’t terribly excited about AU 203 – I thought that the restraint of no offensive war (but the possibility of war) was too artificial – only the quirky “Give Peace a Chance” AU game seemed as artificial as AU 203. I did think it might be an interesting chance to check out the AU Mod’s approach to communism. A little bit into the game, and I also wasn’t too happy with the initial map set-up – the seeming over-abundance of resources (both strategic and luxury) seemed at first glance to limit both the potential challenge and the potential play options. So I played the first third of the game with a bit of a grudge (thinking I should just play a normal game); and combined with the fact that I was under the weather with a frustrating flu, I played with less than 100% concentration.

By the early industrial age, my view of the game had changed. I liked the fact that my early expansion was severely restricted; I liked that I felt like I was playing an elimination game (I really didn’t want to lose one of my few cities); and I liked the resource-rich map BRC had created ( ). Nonetheless, my initial negative attitude and lack of concentration had hurt my chances – early mistakes in Civ haunt one the whole game. So, some lessons learned (or relearned ).

1. Take stock, formulate a strategy, and execute it. I made the very silly mistake of formulating an approach to the game without due regard for the map presented. Without warfare, I figured my expansion could be stymied early – therefore I needed to REX with abandon, I thought. By virtue of the same thought process, I believed I would need to forgo virtually all city improvements and focus on settlers, the occasional worker, and city defenders (spearmen). I also decided that, without war-based expansion, I would focus on cultural strength, hoping less for flips as for an opportunity to wage war and occupy cities without fear of flips in the distant future under communism. With a scientific civ I decided that early culture would come from libraries instead of temples – the wealth of local luxuries further reduced the need for temples. With both streams of thought in mind, I decided to sacrifice one city’s settler production for a shot at the Great Library, and started an early pre-build (using the Colossus).

In retrospect, after an early look at the start position and the surrounding area, I should have focused more attention on pure REX, and should not have sacrificed an early city’s production on a wonder. Our start offered virtually no food bonuses – REX would be difficult without focus. We very quickly had contact with 6 civs, an indication that tech progression would be very fast (reducing the value of the GL) and also ensuring pretty rapid tech devaluation. A second mistake wrt the GL – as a toothless country, I should have realized earlier that taking affirmative action to reduce my attractiveness as a potential target made sense – hoarding gold due to a 0% research rate didn’t exactly broadcast our status as “not worth challenging” . As a final point, although one prong of my initial strategy was REX, I executed it terribly – more on this below.

2. City Placement. Blah! I focused far too much on what I saw as artificial constraints on the game. With no chance to round out an empire through selective aggression where appropriate, I approached the REX phase with a sort of “do or die” attitude – claim the land now, worry about optimizing land later. With available land consisting primarily of peninsular formations (i.e., little land – lots of coastal access) it behooved us to settle a bunch of coastal cities, each of which would be a powerful research engine and/or gold generator with improvements (with the GL I would be able to afford rush-buying a lot of improvements). I instead choose to plant cities inland – counting on expanding borders from my libraries to “close off” my land from interlopers. Nevermind that the city sites turned out to be good for little else for centuries. Take a look at the screenshot below of my SW peninsula – I’ve marked better city placement (with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight) – though I was pressed for time with other settlers wondering around, I believe I did have the time to more carefully lay out an empire.

EDIT: I failed to point out what so galled me about this screenshot. Nuremberg (here at size 9 and growing) was stuck at size 4 for centuries until Electricity -- I didn't have the worker power to chain irrigation all the way from Berlin, so the only self-supporting tiles were two grasslands to the east; the remaining tiles all produced only 1 or 0 food! A desert coastal city could have at least grown considerably (with a harbor) and produced a fair amount of research and gold.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	city placement.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	34419  

Last edited by Catt; January 20, 2003 at 15:35.
Old January 19, 2003, 23:00   #216
Catt
King

Lessons Learned Pt 2
2. City placement (continued). My city placement was also screwy in terms of priority. I identified an attractive city site close to the capitol very early in the game – I would follow our lone river to the eastern coast and build a powerful city there. But the need to expand towards our enemies and claim land took precedence – settler after settler was sent south (and then a few north for fear of galley-loads of interlopers), all the while a promising site remained unsettled. By the end of the REX phase the site remained both unsettled and forgotten. When the oversight became apparent, I was far enough along that I decided to keep it unsettled as a painful reminder of my oversight. See the screenshot below as the “ghost city” remains fallow land in the 1600’s AD.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ghost city.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	34420  
Old January 19, 2003, 23:02   #217
Catt
King

Lessons Learned Pt 3
3. City Build Priorities. Once again I focused too much on a perception that I needed to REX, but executed horribly. I prioritized libraries, even to the detriment of marketplaces (OK decision), but didn’t prioritize marketplaces nearly enough. For virtually the entire time my GL allowed me to run science at 0% (and with the luxuries available, the luxury slider at 0%), only a few cities enjoyed marketplaces. How much gold did this decision cost? Hundreds and hundreds, I’m sure – and I still would have been able to build libraries before the GL expired.

4. Lack of Adequate Workers. Surprisingly, I think I missed captured workers more than captured land with our lack of offensive war. I never perceived that I was far behind in needed terrain improvements, and so never cranked out more workers. But I was woefully behind, and only the occasional shock brought home the truth. The most memorable shock occurred when I bribed both Russia and Persia to fight the Chinese aggressor. Both allies happily sent troops to the front (through our SE border), but a lack of an adequate road network greatly delayed the flow of allied troops to the front. See the screenshot below for the status of the German road network in the SE in the 900’s AD – do I look ready for Steam Power and RRs?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	crappy road network.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	34421  
Old January 19, 2003, 23:04   #218
Catt
King

Lessons Learned Pt 4
4. Lack of Adequate Workers (continued). A second shock came with a look at Berlin in +/- 500 AD – Berlin seemed productive, but only because the surrounding forests provided adequate shields. Berlin’s surroundings were largely unimproved – early workers concentrated on expansion roads, and with the end of the expansion, tended to improve tiles around cities that were within easy reach. Several core cities (Berlin being the best example) were woefully under-producing for centuries. See Berlin below.

I complained about my own errors on several occasions in my AAR posts – there were many more than the four broad subsets described above, but these four capture a good chunk of the damage done early, all through inattentiveness and a simpleminded approach as I “waited” for the game to really begin. In fact, I think I missed a bunch of the game simply because I choose to ignore the fact that the game was on from turn one, and that I was laying the groundwork for future success or failure.

Catt
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	berlin.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	34422  
Old January 20, 2003, 00:06   #219
Dominae
Emperor

Very nice final post, Catt; it embodies what I think AU is all about. I'm glad to see you stuck with it, even though certain things were not making it fun for you (trust me, I know the feeling; I quit AU205 - Power of Gold 2 - just because all the AIs were angry with me when I wanted to trade!). Your criticisms of your own game are great take-home lessons. Specifically:

1. Workers: Remembering to build your own Workers is a very important skill in MP play. In SP, a few relatively early wars will net you a nice workforce. This game pointed what Civ3 is really like when you need to be relatively self-sufficient. By the way, this is why I think the 'Total War' scenario would be interesting, because you would have to do all your own research. A challenge, to be sure.

2. City placement: Looking at your previous AARs, I was actually wondering why you neglected to put a city in the spot west of Berlin! Expanding toward your neighbor to deny them land is a nice tactic, but I've found that building up a good core first is a lot more important.

3. Wonders and Improvements: I would have liked to even try for the Great Library in my game, but the Persians and Chinese were building so many so rapidly that I felt I had no chance! I'm surprised to hear the GL was not useful to you in your game. Concerning the improvements, I think people in general overestimate Temples and Cathedrals (not Coliseums, they suck) for non-Religious civs. You may have done so in this game. I felt that with all the Luxuries around, Libraries then Marketplaces would be the staples in my cities. Temples came a lot later (after Universities), and Cathedrals mostly never came.

Finally, your comment about the "game being on from turn one" is right on, IMO. If you want to play your best, the decisions you make in the BC years are probably the most important. This is another something MP play has taught me well.

Once again, nice community contribution, Catt.

Dominae
Old January 20, 2003, 00:07   #220
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Quote:
Fosse, the fact that you see tech extortion as the only way to keep up on Emperor means you've still got a lot to learn, and nothing else.
Actually, I don't doubt it one little bit!

I think I would enjoy the early game more on Regent, but once I get out of the middle ages.... but I think I'll continue to hone my skills on emperor and watch these games to see what I can learn, and hope to contribute in whatever ways I can

But one encouraging thing! One of my most prosperous cities in this game (and the last to be taken by China) was exactly in Catt's "ghost city" spot!
I'm not a complete loss! Of course, unlike me Catt did make it out of the ancient age intact...

Keep up the good work guys.
Old January 20, 2003, 00:17   #221
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fosse
I think I would enjoy the early game more on Regent, but once I get out of the middle ages.... but I think I'll continue to hone my skills on emperor and watch these games to see what I can learn, and hope to contribute in whatever ways I can
Glad to hear it! My best advice is to perfect your early-game; this is the one area that I thought I had mastered, but was so wrong. The most stressful time in the game for me is still pre-1000BC.

Dominae
Old January 20, 2003, 03:09   #222
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Thanks to my activities with Gathering Storm, I didn't get a chance to start this one until last night. When I saw that there were no food bonuses near the capital, with me playing AU Mod on Emperor level, I was afraid I might be in serious trouble.

But I had four things going for me. (1) There was lots of room between my neighbors and me. (2) England had lousy terrain for REXing. (3) Rome actually somehow managed to take a big bite out of Russia, stopping them from expanding toward me. And (4) I know how to use granaries.

Someone asked a few days ago in the granary thread whether granaries are something only good for industrious civs. I can now state categorically that non-industrious civs with a good production base can also make excellent use of them, especially when there's lots of room to grow. I have seven cities in what I think of as my core, and every one of them has a granary. (Not that granaries were always the first thing my core cities built, but they were surprisingly often.)

All those granaries meant taking absolutely enormous risks sending settlers out with no more than a warrior to protect them if they were lucky enough to have an escort at all. But fortunately, Persia's two warriors who wandered into my area turned out to be nothing more than tribute collectors, and the large Roman force that started wandering through my territory has mostly exited back down south now that there's no significant amount of unclaimed land around.

It's 110 BC now, and the First Reich has finally began its transition to the Republic of Germany. (I've had Republic for a few turns, but I wanted to pop rush a couple libraries to see if I can persuade Smolensk that it would be happier under German rule.) China is up one tech on me (Feudalism), but I'm doing better than average. As for how far I got with my REXing, I'll let the picture below do my talking. (Sorry about the poor quality.)

Nathan
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	rexing_finished.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	34437  
Old January 20, 2003, 11:30   #223
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 05:41
I guess we can close the "Why Granaries don't work" thread now.
Old January 20, 2003, 14:10   #224
ducki
King

Quote:
Very nice final post, Catt; it embodies what I think AU is all about.
Most Definitely, Catt. Your writeups are always so detailed, analytical, and coherent. I need to make a template from some of yours.

I've previously stated that since I still think like a builder, this particular game was supremely suited to my strengths. Fortunately, you and Dominae have given me some specifics to expound upon.
Quote:
1. Workers: Remembering to build your own Workers is a very important skill in MP play. In SP, a few relatively early wars will net you a nice workforce. This game pointed what Civ3 is really like when you need to be relatively self-sufficient. By the way, this is why I think the 'Total War' scenario would be interesting, because you would have to do all your own research. A challenge, to be sure.
Being used to having a workforce of my own workers and having slaves as an added mid to late game "bonus" for jungle-clearing and pollution cleanup, I had a leg up here.
Granted, I still feel like my workforce is always too small to get everything done, yet too large to justify paying, but I have a subconscious rule of thumb that usually kicks in just before Monarchy/Republic.
This is the timeframe where your Despotic empire begins to experience painful corruption due to REX.
Rules for building a Worker first in a new town:
1. Is it unfeasible for any of my existing workers to connect this town?
2. Is it unfeasible for any of my existing workers to improve tiles for this town?
3. Will I grow to size 2 before the Worker is complete?
4. Is this town suited to be a Worker Farm, i.e. lots of food, very few shields?

Note, the Worker(or Settler) Farm question is last on my list and is merely there as a catchall. The first 3 rules are the ones that really "matter" for me.

Quote:
2. City placement: Looking at your previous AARs, I was actually wondering why you neglected to put a city in the spot west of Berlin! Expanding toward your neighbor to deny them land is a nice tactic, but I've found that building up a good core first is a lot more important.
For my game, at Monarch, I found both to be v. important - it's finding the right balance that's key.
Quote:
3. Wonders and Improvements: I would have liked to even try for the Great Library in my game, but the Persians and Chinese were building so many so rapidly that I felt I had no chance! I'm surprised to hear the GL was not useful to you in your game. Concerning the improvements, I think people in general overestimate Temples and Cathedrals (not Coliseums, they suck) for non-Religious civs. You may have done so in this game. I felt that with all the Luxuries around, Libraries then Marketplaces would be the staples in my cities. Temples came a lot later (after Universities), and Cathedrals mostly never came.
I'm still learning to not build temples asap everywhere, so when I do skip them, my empire feels incomplete.
I'm not really sure you can overestimate the value of extra content citizens, especially in your powerhouse/metro cities.
As for Wonders, I almost feel like I'm playing a UP game. I listed in a previous thread the ones I got to which I can now add Longevity - I don't know how, but I did - which is great for those slow-growing outlying towns, but can really throw a monkeywrench in the works of your Cores, especially if you are tightly packed on city placement and having to constantly micromanage 3-4 cities to get everyone stabilized and working the "good" tiles.
For me, the Library was... .... .... nice. Not the gamemaker it can sometimes be, but quite nice. The AI didn't start pulling away until the Late Middle Ages, by which time Persia and China went to war, dragging everyone but Babylon back down to my level.
Leo's was a gamemaker for me.
Quote:
Finally, your comment about the "game being on from turn one" is right on, IMO. If you want to play your best, the decisions you make in the BC years are probably the most important. This is another something MP play has taught me well.
I think playing the CFC Quickstart Challenge and reading cracker's Opening Moves helped me understand just how important the first 3000 years are.

To close, I just want to say, this is by far my best Monarch-level game. I'm Commie, I'm cranking out Panzers like there's no tomorrow, I've stolen Sistine Chapel from China, and I seriously doubt I can lose.
Tech is still 5-10 turns per advance, I'm still making ok money from Russia, Rome(believe it or not), and Babylon, 100% science and still +300gpt or better, almost no corruption in my Cores - almost - and manageable corruption on the outskirts.

I can do no wrong.
Now if I could only use my treasury for rushing.
Old January 20, 2003, 14:41   #225
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki
I'm not really sure you can overestimate the value of extra content citizens, especially in your powerhouse/metro cities.
A couple of comments here. First, the very fact that you do not think it is possible to overestimate Temples and Cathedrals (I assume this is what you're saying) means that you overestimate them yourself! Second, "extra" content citizens is misleading; the effects of Temples and Cathedrals do come at a price (60 Shields and 1gpt for Temples).

My point is simply that the knee-jerk reaction to put Temples everywhere as a matter of course is potentially detrimental. The same goes for Barracks.

By the way, have fun with your UP game, ducki!

Dominae
Old January 20, 2003, 15:18   #226
ducki
King

I used to slap temples and cathedrals everywhere and as soon as available. In fact, I used to build any and all improvements as soon as they came available.

That, I agree, is "bad".

I just hate having unhappies, so maybe I am overestimating them, or maybe I assume () that most people aren't playing the way I used to play.
Old January 20, 2003, 15:31   #227
Catt
King

I just miskeyed and lost a long-ish post (yes, i know, for me a long-ish post means a novel ). So, I'll shorten that post considerably:

Most of my mistakes and stupidities flow directly from inattentiveness and sloppiness. The early game sets the tone for the rest of the game -- inattentiveness in the BCs means significant consequences throughout the game.

I've never had a severe worker shortage before -- even in games without warfare until almost the industrial era. Sloppy, and painful.

I delayed temples and cathedrals significantly in this game -- with so many luxuries and not much need for the waste-reduction of WLTKD (I needed gold -- research and treasury -- more than a few extra shields), contentedness-makers were low on the priority list. Every city had a university before a cathedral, and many metros didn't get a cathedral until a captured Sistine looked like a near-term event.

ducki - your game sounds like UP! I think Longevity is a great wonder in this game -- I'm guessing that it will really help in your wars of conquest.

I say nbarclay gets the REX award!

Catt
Old January 20, 2003, 15:32   #228
Dominae
Emperor

Unhappies aren't really unhappy if they know there's an equal number of happies around. The only real problem occurs when the unhappies get too numerous and demand more happies to at least balance things out. Silly Civ3.

Dominae

Last edited by Dominae; January 20, 2003 at 15:37.
Old January 20, 2003, 15:46   #229
Bluefrog
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:41
I'm not really sure why I prioritized the Sistine in this game...habitual, I suppose. With the amount of luxuries, the Chapel is a bit redundant, but that wasn't why it was, primarily, a waste to me. It didn't occur to me until far after the fact that I built so few cathedrals that the sheer shield cost of the Chapel could, in no way, be justified. It didn't damage my game irreparably, but Leo's or Sun Tzu's would have been much better choices (excepting that I would have entered a premature GA). More troops or workers would have been a much better investment.
Old January 20, 2003, 15:47   #230
ducki
King

Re: Longevity - Yes, it is good and would be better if I were actually taking advantage of Drafting, but I got scared when WW hit my Republic just before my first round of Panzers and the switch to Communism. And it's definitely helping in the fringe towns, but it's messing things up, or rather causing me a lot of micromanagement in my Cores.

Re: Unhappies - I realize that's a leftover from builderdom and something I need to get over, but I keep getting bit by ... (drumroll, please Catt) ... inattentiveness which causes civil unrest.

Re: Communism again - I like it, but I think I'd rather be able to rush improvements with money, but then what would be the point of Monarchy? Seriously, my cores are so well developed that I didn't really notice a difference between Republic and Communism, but now my fringes are far more productive, even the towns without Courthouse and Police Station. If it weren't for the lack of Cash-rushing, I'd almost say it's overpowered.

But maybe that's just because I got lucky and ended up in an "easy" position when it came time for war. It sure helped that a source of Iron disappeared and a source of Oil appeared on the turn I lost my Oil trade with Hammurabi. That took a lot of pressure off of my decision to stick it to Mao first.

Last edited by ducki; January 20, 2003 at 15:56.
Old January 20, 2003, 15:52   #231
Bluefrog
Chieftain

But, I did grab Longevity as well, and that did a lot for me. I was able to grab it fairly soon after it was available, thanks to my Iron Works. My rail system was far from complete, and I was able to pump out workers at an astounding rate. Cities quickly maxed out their pop...in another game, with fewer available luxuries, this might be a detriment due to happiness concerns, but this was not the case here. And if a city grew too big for its available food, it would just starve down the net turn to the proper level. Very handy.

One question, which is sort of off-topic...why doesn't starvation induce unhappiness in the city?
Old January 20, 2003, 16:01   #232
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki
Re: Longevity - Yes, it is good and would be better if I were actually taking advantage of Drafting, but I got scared when WW hit my Republic just before my first round of Panzers and the switch to Communism. And it's definitely helping in the fringe towns, but messing things up, or rather causing me a lot of micromanagement in my Cores.
If the micromanagement is due to the growth-starvation cycle (and if your workers aren't automated), just pillage the RR on an irrigated tile, plant a forest, or something similar. It's usually pretty easy to stabilize pop level and food production but one has to get over the initial "silliness" of pillaging one's one RR.

Quote:
Re: Unhappies - I realize that's a leftover from builderdom and something I need to get over, but I keep getting bit by ... (drumroll, please Catt) ... inattentiveness which causes civil unrest.
Have you ever tried the governor for managing moods (moods only, no production or other management tasks)? I actually find it quite helpful. In those cities where I disagree with the governor's tile choices, I'll switch them back to manual control and keep an eye on them. In any event, with the switch to communism your civil disorder problems are probably over (at least in your cities).

Quote:
Re: Communism again [. . . .] I'd almost say it's overpowered.

But maybe that's just because I got lucky and ended up in an "easy" position when it came time for war.
Maybe we all don't use communism well in our regular games. I too felt that it was almost overpowered, since even after some aggressive expansion my cores (with courthouses and police stations) had virtually no corruption or waste and my fringes (no CH or PS) had a very acceptable amount - and I wasn't in an easy position when war came. In a discussion in the AU Mod thread, alexman showed me that the mod really wasn't a great departure from standard communism as far as corruption goes (for the human, at least). It was so productive in many captured cities that pop-rushing didn;t make sense -- I'd get better production from the 3 citizens I would otherwise lose by rushing a library (for border expansion).

Catt
Old January 20, 2003, 16:05   #233
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefrog
But, I did grab Longevity as well, and that did a lot for me. I was able to grab it fairly soon after it was available, thanks to my Iron Works. My rail system was far from complete, and I was able to pump out workers at an astounding rate. Cities quickly maxed out their pop...in another game, with fewer available luxuries, this might be a detriment due to happiness concerns, but this was not the case here. And if a city grew too big for its available food, it would just starve down the net turn to the proper level. Very handy.

One question, which is sort of off-topic...why doesn't starvation induce unhappiness in the city?
I didn't even think about the mass worker production possibilities of Longevity in this game - even more powerful!

You're right that starvation doesn;t make a city unhappy, but it does knock a city out of WLTKD -- one reason why a lot of players seem to dislike Longevity -- if you don't stabilize the pop and food level, the cycle of growth-starvation can be a pain, especially where WLTKD means the difference in production time (in turns) for a series of units or items.

Catt
Old January 20, 2003, 17:09   #234
ducki
King

Speaking of mass production of workers -
you could have Radio Towers(or whatever they're called - the things that give 25% defense bonus to everyone within 2 squares) all over the place!
And Airfields!

The 1 turn build makes them better for the Longevity owner than an Airport or a Fortress in a pinch.
Old January 20, 2003, 18:12   #235
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
I say nbarclay gets the REX award
GS is glad to have him as our Econ guru.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 20, 2003, 18:53   #236
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

The middle ages were a time of long and bitter conflict - economic conflict, that is. The problem with all the REXing I did was that for many centuries, the additional cities were all but useless to me economically. China maintained a definite lead, but by trading techs with civs close behind, I was able to stay close.

In 450 AD, the first glimmer of hope started to shine as Hannover (just northwest of the fork) completed a Forbidden Palace. That allowed many more of Germany's cities to start becoming wealthy and productive. It would still take time to get courthouses finished and marketplaces and libraries built, but at least the foundation was in place.

As the medieval era approached its conclusion, Germany was able to get branch leads on China a time or two, providing additional assistance in its bid to keep up. Then, in 730 AD, Germany applied a judo move in a bid to gain technological supremacy. China had Magnetism and Germany had just completed Theory of Gravety, the final two mandatory techs of the medieval era. But China refused to even consider a direct swap. The Chinese wanted all 300-someodd gold in Gerrmany's treasury plus six gold per turn for the exchange to take place. Germany finally decided to agree to the move - and then sell Nationalism to China for the 700-someodd gold in China's recently enriched treasury, a little over a hundred gold per turn, and a luxury.

Sixty years have passed since that fateful day, and Germany just completed its research into Steam Power (at 100%, running roughly at break-even thanks to the gold from China). For probably the first time ever, Germany is the world's undisputed leader in technology, although the AIs do have one tech I'm missing: Free Artistry. Germany is also first in GNP and Productivity, both of which are promising signs for the future, although being second in manufactured goods and fourth in literacy are less promising. The worst part is that all my technological competitors are in Democracy, but I don't dare sacrifice the time and production I would lose making the switch myself with all the races for early industrial wonders coming up (especially when I know I'll be switching to Communism sometime around the end of the industrial era).

The current situation is going to make for some very interesting wonder races if cascades don't close out the availability of medieval wonders before the AIs get the techs for industrial ones. I haven't completed any wonders at all myself yet (always too busy with other things), but I have a nice build going in Berlin that ought to get me something sooner or later. I'd love to get Smith's, as much because I don't want China to get it as because I want it myself, but I may have to settle for switching to Universal Suffrage temporarily as a prebuild for Longevity.

Nathan
Old January 20, 2003, 18:56   #237
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
For those wondering about my absence, I have been playing AU 203 as much as I've been able... I had a MARATHON session yesterday, and am just short of Panzers (finally).

I might... errr, hmm, *cough*... F-CKING LOSE, however, as Persia is such a MONSTER (do you know what a ***** it is to fight off MAs with Infantry and Arty?! aaaand actually go on the offensive?) and the Babs have just completed SETI.

AARRGGHH!!!

Let's see what I can do with Panzers.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old January 20, 2003, 21:31   #238
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Everyone: Great work, good write-ups.

Catt: It was good to see what you could have done better. We don't get to see that out of the better players enough.

Ducki: Way to build!

Quote:
Unhappies aren't really unhappy if they know there's an equal number of happies around. The only real problem occurs when the unhappies get too numerous and demand more happies to at least balance things out. Silly Civ3.
That's one way of saying it.

nbarclay: That REX was unbelievable. I didn't think it was possible to REX that much land. Nice job.

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
For those wondering about my absence, I have been playing AU 203 as much as I've been able... I had a MARATHON session yesterday, and am just short of Panzers (finally).

I might... errr, hmm, *cough*... F-CKING LOSE, however, as Persia is such a MONSTER (do you know what a ***** it is to fight off MAs with Infantry and Arty?! aaaand actually go on the offensive?) and the Babs have just completed SETI.

AARRGGHH!!!

Let's see what I can do with Panzers.
Well, if anyone can do it, it's you. Take your time. Good luck!
Old January 21, 2003, 15:45   #239
Bluefrog
Chieftain

I started this again last night on Emperor. I wanted to test-drive Emperor on a map I knew, heh...not a real gauge of how I'd fare, especially with early wongering a no-no, but so far, so good! Persia declared war with me, but they don't even know where I am yet. I pulled Russia into it, so more than likely I'm going to lose my buffer, but I might gain more early REX room in the bargain, heh.

I was going to beeline for the GL again, but I think that plan is going awry. Persia went to war with me because I didn't offer Literature as a tribute, and I fear China would have wanted it in tribute as well, so I pre-emptively traded it to Mao for some techs/gold. I'm not as horrbily behind in tech as I presumed I would be, so the GL may just serve as a pre-build for something else, maybe the Gardens, if it lasts that long. I'm finding that by researching more advanced techs the AI puts on the back burner, I can keep in the tech race through shrewd trading.

Edit: This is my first Emperor game, btw. I know I'm biting off a lot more than if it were stock Civ 1.29, instead of the PtW AU mod, but hey, challenges are cool, demmit.

Of course, this is all an artificial game, since I know the map already. I just wanted to get my feet wet on Emperor before trying it in a real setting. I love the speed of technology, but I can see how easy it would be to fall behind...way behind...if you're not careful.

But, with the tech pace where it is, and my still REXing like a madman, my infrastructure is horrid! Usually I have the GL to help buy me time for libraries, but...but...gah!

Fun, fun, fun, hehe.
Old January 21, 2003, 16:13   #240
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Sounds like fun Bluefrog. Let us know how it turns out. I myself am just now working on Emperor.