View Poll Results: Which version of AU 203 are you playing?
PTW 1.14f 10 35.71%
1.29f 5 17.86%
AU Mod 10 35.71%
Not playing 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 22, 2003, 23:51   #241
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 07:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm up to 1160 AD now, and I've been through my first (defensive) war. In the process, I made a serious blunder that I hope doesn't hurt me too badly.

Persia decided, for some unknown reason, to go through the territory Rome had previously captured from Russia and declare war on me. Their forces for the initial assault? One immortal and one warrior! I'd recently spent enormous amounts of surplus gold (without Leonardo's!) upgrading units that started life as warriors or archers to guerillas, a couple that had started as spearmen and one as a rifleman to infantry, and ones that had started as horsemen to cavalry, so I wasn't in as bad a shape as I might have been. But even so, my entire military consisted of five cavalry, five infantry, and a whopping eleven guerillas.

My response would have been completely sensible under most circumstances: mobilize and buy alliances with the entire rest of the world. (Only China and Babylon required anything other than obsolete techs as a payoff, and Rome was especially stupid to sign on since they had three cities between Persia and me and were totally outclassed in military technology.) But what I forgot was that not only can you not start non-military city improvements while mobilized, you also can't start non-military wonders. And I had two prebuilds in progress, one for Longevity and one for Theory of Evolution!

As events moved on, I figured out my mistake, but my only way out of the box I'd stuck myself in was to make peace with Persia and break alliances with six other civs. Worse, Persia wasn't inclined to talk peace for a few turns, and I lost hundreds of shields when China beat me to Universal Suffrage. The best I could do was to switch Berlin (which had been working on Universal Suffrage) to the Military Academy, abandoning work on the Military Academy as a prebuild in another city in the process. That set me back to square one as far as building Longevity was concerned.

I did, however, manage to delay my palace prebuild for Theory of Evolution long enough to make peace just as it was about to finish. That put me in a position where I now have a lead of four techs. I just hope none of the civs I've left furious with me makes me regret the move.

After making peace with Persia, I actually signed a ROP with them in the hope that they and China would do some damage to each other. But no such luck. Persia and China just made peace, and England seems to be Persia's current victim of choice - not that they've captured or razed any cities yet. (Come to think of it, I probably ought to build some settlers in case Persia decides to open up some territory for me.) In the meantime, I have my terrain pretty thoroughly improved, so I'm using a "wall of workers" technique to seal off my northern cities against a possible ROP violation (since even with the few units I built during the war, I don't have enough to garrison everything and still have a halfway decent border defense).

Persia and Babylon are both in Communism, and Persia is probably in their golden age. Babylon may be in a GA as well, but their bowmen don't hang around my part of the world. China stayed in Democracy, but they definitely used up their GA long ago (due to wonders if nothing else).

In regard to the wonder race, I'm now six turns from Hoover Dam and seven from Longevity. I just hope I have the production capacity to win the Longevity race. I'm also six turns from officially finding out how hard oil is to come by on this map, but I have some ideas for dealing with the situation.

(1) Research Radio before moving on to the techs that actually use oil for something. That buys time for a previously undiscovered oil deposit to show up if I'm really, really lucky. And it should provide time for me to sell both Corporation and Refining (see below) and get a halfway decent price for them.

(2) Unless it's been fixed, there's a glitch in how the AI values resources: it bases what it charges on what you can use the resource for, so if you have Refining but not Combustion, you can (or at least could) buy oil dirt cheap. I'm researching fast enough that it won't take more than six turns per tech by that point, likely just five and conceivably four, which can provide enough time to build at least a few panzers by the time the deal expires.

(3) If my research goes as planned, I should be early in the modern era by the time my early oil deal expires. Once the panzers started while I have oil available are finished, that could be a great time to switch to Communism. With my GA yet to come, I'll be within striking distance of MAs even operating under a Communist regime. (In effect, the extra gold from the GA will replace the gold lost switching from Republic to Communism.)

(4) Of course with me in a communist government and panzers available, obtaining further oil to build more panzers shouldn't be a problem.

Now I just have to survive long enough to implement my plans.

Nathan
Old January 23, 2003, 00:03   #242
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:41
One question Nathan: did you find Mobilization useful? In my game, the extra production in each city was typically not sufficient to reduce the number of turns to completion of Infantry and Tanks (the two main units at the time). For instance, a city producing 60 Shields produces ~75 Shields during Mobilization, but an Infantry unit costing 90 Shields still requires 2 turns to produce. Thus in a vast majority of cities Mobilization would only increase their Shield waste. Did you work around this somehow?

Dominae
Old January 23, 2003, 00:27   #243
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
One question Nathan: did you find Mobilization useful? In my game, the extra production in each city was typically not sufficient to reduce the number of turns to completion of Infantry and Tanks (the two main units at the time). For instance, a city producing 60 Shields produces ~75 Shields during Mobilization, but an Infantry unit costing 90 Shields still requires 2 turns to produce. Thus in a vast majority of cities Mobilization would only increase their Shield waste. Did you work around this somehow?
Almost all of my cities are laid out in such a way that they can't hit size 12 without using a mixture of land and aquatic tiles, and I'm not sure any of them were actually at size 12 when the war started. Further, the only two cities I had power plants in were working on wonder prebuilds, since Hoover Dam is intended as my main source of power. Those factors combined to put my cities that were actually building military units in a much lower production zone than what you describe. So to the extent that I actually built military units rather than leaving cities on what they'd been building, yes, mobilization tended to provide an advantage. (I built a whole nine infantry in the course of the war and counted on Persia to live down to the usual level of AI stupidity in managing a military campaign.)

Nathan
Old January 23, 2003, 00:43   #244
Dominae
Emperor

I believe I considered using Mobilization at a much later point than you describe in your game. I built almost no military units from Steam Power to Refining, focusing on the big improvements of the era instead. When war broke out, I used Draft to get Infantry. So when finally came the time to mobilize, my economy could do much better without. Just a matter of timing, I suppose.

But even if a city is producing somewhere around 30 Shields, it needs to be size 15 to jump up to the 45 Shields required to build an Infantry in 2 turns (and all tiles worked must be producing at least one Shield). For this to happen empire-wide is rare, I would think. I'm not criticizing your decision, I'm just wondering about an ability (Mobilization) that I often neglect.

Dominae
Old January 23, 2003, 01:57   #245
nbarclay
Emperor

It's a matter of percentages. Unless most of your cities have practically identical production capacity, some cities will be able to build things a turn faster with mobilization and others won't. Except that you can tilt things a little in your favor by building more expensive units in the same time (e.g. panzers instead of infantry in three turns in your hypothetical 30-shield city) or cheaper units in less time (a city with 35 shields before mobilization building infantry in two turns instead of panzers in three, assuming you don't already have more infantry than you want).

I rarely use mobilization myself because I always have cities where I want to focus on infrastructure rather than cranking out units. But if I get caught in a tight spot, or if I want to crank out a lot of panzers in a hurry, it can come in handy. (Note: I love three-move units, so while chances are high of my mobilizing as Germany to fight a war in the "tank" era, I'd almost never do the same thing as any other civ. And by the time MAs come along, I generally have enough tanks to upgrade that mobilizing seems superfluous.)

Nathan
Old January 23, 2003, 06:49   #246
nbarclay
Emperor

It's now 1315 AD, and the War of Chinese Aggression is over. Hoardes of cavalry appeared just inside my borders, and I ordered them to leave or declare war. Guess what? They declared war, costing me the benefit of a just-signed tech sale worth almost 200 gpt (plus some lesser deals that were nearing expiration).

I'd recently detoured through Radio on my tech path, and I was really glad I did. I quickly built a radar tower and started attacking the stacks of cavalry. Many survived to retreat since most of my attackers were guerillas and infantry, but many more died. China did pick off that radar tower in their turn since I hadn't bothered to defend it (I was spread thin since I still had a ROP with Persia and didn't want to leave cities Xerxes could get to completely undefended), but all three cavalry who went to the radar tower's location died; not the worst trade I've ever made.

After that, China decided that cavalry might not be the best way to attack me, so they sent in a huge stack of foot soldiers. I decided to borrow a page from Theseus's playbook and create a line of forts along the three-tile-wide border with Persia's English conquests that China was moving through. And of course I rebuilt my radar tower, adding still more to my defense. After some dilly-dallying around, China threw an assault at my line, but when their first few attackers died and then one of my infantry was promoted to Elite without injury, Mao decided he'd had enough. The rest of the stack withdrew. I think this is the first time I've ever seen an AI break off an attack in the middle when it wasn't going well. A small amphibious assault force also attempted to strike, and was destroyed at the cost of one veteran guerilla unit.

China then started maneuvering around to try to get to the weak end of my line (which a city blocked direct access to), but by the time they got there, Mao had reconsidered his "No peace negotiations" stand. He agreed to a cease-fire on even terms.

That war was a massive victory for me in military terms, but in economic terms, it was a disaster. The broken trade deals cost probably over 4000 gold and ended my ability to research at 100%. Worse, Babylon took advantage of the diversion to demand Steel from me and I didn't dare refuse with one war already under way. I did, however, quickly trade Steel to Persia for oil so I can start building panzers in a few turns. (It looks like Firaxis probably fixed the bug of dirt-cheap oil before Combustion; neither Persia nor Babylon was willing to sell me oil at any price until I had a use for it. That's really a good thing, but it's annoying that I built some trade plans around an AI behavior that seems to no longer exist.)

Anyhow, I'm at peace again, and three turns away from being able to build panzers. After that, I'll have about twelve turns of oil left before my deal with Persia expires, so I will have Panzers available for whatever I decide to do beyond that.

Nathan
Old January 23, 2003, 08:51   #247
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 13:41
Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
(It looks like Firaxis probably fixed the bug of dirt-cheap oil before Combustion; neither Persia nor Babylon was willing to sell me oil at any price until I had a use for it. That's really a good thing, but it's annoying that I built some trade plans around an AI behavior that seems to no longer exist.)
That's interesting because I had no problem doing this (Yes, PTW v1.14 MODded.) You did offer them 1 gold for it, didn't you?
Old January 23, 2003, 11:15   #248
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:41
Quote:
I think this is the first time I've ever seen an AI break off an attack in the middle when it wasn't going well.
I have seen it happen recently, but never so clearly as your situation (a massed force hitting once or twice, and looking for another target).

Quote:
(It looks like Firaxis probably fixed the bug of dirt-cheap oil before Combustion; neither Persia nor Babylon was willing to sell me oil at any price until I had a use for it. That's really a good thing, but it's annoying that I built some trade plans around an AI behavior that seems to no longer exist.)
I was still able to trade for oil for a pittance pre-combustion. I wonder if other factors could be at play (your broken alliances? AI knowledge of your tech pace and tech choices available to you?)

Catt
Old January 23, 2003, 12:36   #249
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nor Me

That's interesting because I had no problem doing this (Yes, PTW v1.14 MODded.) You did offer them 1 gold for it, didn't you?
I offered a lot more than that, and even asked them what they would need for a deal. Maybe the situation was a result of my having broken the alliances earlier, although the fact that I was able to make a deal for oil later really had me hoping the problem was fixed.
Old January 23, 2003, 13:06   #250
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

I have seen it happen recently, but never so clearly as your situation (a massed force hitting once or twice, and looking for another target).
Actually, it was more complicated than that (or than I described initially). First, a huge stack (about 35 units, including a couple old medieval infantry) came up to the northwest corner of the line. I responded by moving in every infantry I felt I could afford to, about nine total, and hoping it would be enough with the fortress and radar tower bonuses. The AI stack backed up momentarily without attacking, but then came in again, albeit with a few less units for some unknown reason - maybe withdrawing some to load on ships for naval invasions? Rather than attack the northwest corner, they moved down into position to attack the middle of the line. By then, I'd built a few more infantry, and I scrounged a little deeper as well, so I had (I think) ten infantry in one defensive stack and nine in the other. It was probably something like the fifth straight unit lost by the AI that resulted in my infantry's being promoted to elite without being injured. That left both of my stacks that the AI could get to immediately with an elite unit rather than a veteran on top.

But the third fortress in the line only had two infantry guarding it. It was on the other side of a lake with a city behind the lake, (see the screenshot below) so China couldn't get to it immediately (at least unless they got a ROP with Persia all of a sudden). Rather than keep throwing forces into what was clearly a losing fight - China might possibly have won the battle, but only at a cost of the vast majority of their stack at a horribly unfavorable loss ratio - China decided to go around to my weak side. The stupid thing about it was that by the time they could have gotten there without a ROP agreement with Persia, I would easily have rebalanced my forces so it wouldn't be weak anymore, but I'm impressed that the AI recognized that the initial attack was going badly enough that continuing it wasn't particularly viable.

The Chinese forces seen in the picture below are just two units, but I think the rest of the stack was right behind them.

Nathan
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	wall of forts.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	34747  

Last edited by nbarclay; January 23, 2003 at 13:12.
Old January 23, 2003, 14:44   #251
Catt
King

Quote:

Actually, it was more complicated than that . . .
I've really only seen (1) AI forces react to strengthening particular defenses (i.e., AI chooses a new target when its initial target's defensive profile has changed considerably) and (2) seemingly call off an assualt when the first several units die without much success. Your example is still more clear than my experiences.

I obviously have no idea if its just coincidence or something else at play (those little AI tweaks that make it into patches?) but I like to believe that the "education" of barbs in PTW -- i.e., attack only with reasonable chances otherwise look for a more inviting target -- may be influencing AI civ wartime target selection and battle initiative, so far at least for the better (though with long strides yet to go -- the shifting of offensive force in your example over the course of several turns even though your potential counter-maneuvers can be done in 1 turn).

Catt
Old January 23, 2003, 16:38   #252
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 05:41
It sounds like the AI re-evaluetes after every move.

At the start the attack was good because the overall odds were in its favor. After a couple of losses the odd are no longer in its favour and it stops throughing units at the line. At some point the AI crossed a line in its evaluation and the switch to attack was toggled off.
Old January 23, 2003, 18:16   #253
Sinapus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
It sounds like the AI re-evaluetes after every move.

At the start the attack was good because the overall odds were in its favor. After a couple of losses the odd are no longer in its favour and it stops throughing units at the line. At some point the AI crossed a line in its evaluation and the switch to attack was toggled off.
Which actually sounds rather good. I know I'd break off an attack if I kept losing tons of units after an assault with no real damage to the enemy.
Old January 24, 2003, 03:09   #254
nbarclay
Emperor

In the early 1300's, the Two Centuries War started when Persia violated an oil trade deal and invaded. Germany quickly made arrangements for an alternative oil supply from Babylon, and the first panzers went into service in 1340. Wave after wave of Persian infantry crossed the border over the ensuing decades, only to be softened up by artillery and mowed down by panzers. Southern Germany became a training ground for what would eventually be over two dozen elite units.

With the war came Germany's golden age, just as Germany was about to enter the modern era. Germany set aside its plans to change to a communist government and conquer the world with panzers, and chose instead to research toward an even more advanced line of armored vehicles. First came Computers and mechanized infantry. Then a detour through Miniaturization for increased production and the Internet (since getting a leader would be no problem at all). Next, Fission for the wonders that come with that (except it looks like you can't build the U.N. with diplomatic victory turned off; is that right?) And then on to Ecology and Synthetic Fibers.

While all this was going on, though, the world changed. China decided to attack, and wave after wave of bombers punched massive holes in the German infrastructue, joined shortly by large numbers of warships. China never mounted serious assault on the line of forts (although an occasional solitary unit asked my mechanized infantry for help committing suicide), but a couple attempted naval invasions had to be wiped out.

With the new Chinese problem, peace with Persia started looking like a good idea. But not too long after that peace was established, Babylon got into the act. That gave me two major naval and air forces to contend with instead of just one. Babylon pounded my infrastructure from the eastern side while China continued to do its dirty work from the west, and even with my jet fighters shooting down some of the bombers, I lost infrastructure faster than I could repair it.

Shortly after Babylon entered the war, China was willing to make peace for about 200 gold. That let me focus on Babylon for a few turns until they would be willing to make peace (also for some gold), but by the time that happened, Persia decided to attack again. So the end of the Two Centuries War was much like the beginning, with Germany fighting against Persia.

(Thiis is where my earlier broken alliances really cost me. Had I been able to, I would have gotten alliances with China and Babylon when Persia first attacked and tried to get those two powers to waste a lot of their forces slugging it out. But China and Babylon have consistently refused to even consider my attempts to propose an alliance. They'd both rather fight against me.)

Of course the new war wasn't quite like the old one. The German people were tired of always being on the defensive, and if the leaders of their republic were not interested in changing things, well, there were others in Germany who would. Almost four decades of anarchy erupted as the Communist Party made its bid to wrest power away from the foolish peacenicks who had been in charge, but at long last, they succeeded.

The first item on the new government's agenda was securing an oil supply. Fortunately, Persia had previously conquered all of England and Russia except for a distant English island city, but Persian culture had yet to take hold in most of the area. That made it a simple two turns' work for elite panzers to sweep down and capture the cities on either side of the Russian oil field, and a band of German workers established a colony to operate the oil wells until the area could be brought more securely into the grip of German culture. And faster than Xerxes could blink, over forty panzer batallions (elites as well as veterans) were reequipped and retrained to use modern armor.

From that point, terrain and cultural borders were the only real limiting factors on Germany's conquest of Persia. New units went into operation faster than old ones could be destroyed, and city after city fell before the German onslaught. Just forty years after Germany's new government took power, Persia was no more. (With Persia's culture somewhere in the neighborhood of one and a half times mine, I didn't dare leave them alive.)

That was the easy part; now comes the hard part. While Germany was busy conquering Persia, China and Babylon all but caught up in technology. As of the time of the Persian conquest, Miniaturization and Synthetic Fibers were the only technologies I had that China and Babylon didn't, while they had Space Flight (which I was four turns away from) and Amphibious Warfare. That means I can expect to be up against an opponent with Mechanized Infantry and an economy that rivals mine for the first time ever. Worse, China has Leonardo's for cheap upgrades and Universal Suffrage to help it combat war weariness (although it could be worse; at least the wonders are in cities relatively early on my target list).

Against those odds, I'm trying a gamble that I hope pays off. I traded Miniaturization to Babylon for the techs I was missing, just over a thousand gold, wines, and 249 gold per turn. The gold will help me on my way to Satellites so I can compete in the ICBM race if it starts. (I'm starting to regret having built the Manhatten Project earlier, but I had a leader with nothing better to do.) But the sneaky part is that I'm actually hoping Babylon will turn around and sell the tech to China. I can't bleed off China's gold per turn after the war starts, but Babylon can. So if my plan works, when I invade after the current peace treaty expires in another four turns (or possibly sooner if I provoke a war with a failed spy mission), maybe, just maybe, China will find itself a bit short on gold to upgrade infantry to MIs. It seems worth a try, anyhow.

By the way, mobilization during my GA seemed superfluous, but shortly after my GA ended, I went into mobilization to crank out units faster. With the Persian war ended, I'll spend a couple turns out of mobilization to get other projects started (especially libraries in the former Persian territories) and then mobilize again for the upcoming war with China. Against an opponent that has MIs, may get MAs soon, and outnumbers me, I figure I need every edge I can get.

Nathan
Old January 24, 2003, 04:08   #255
nbarclay
Emperor

By the way, during the Persian war, I noticed a serious oddity. Often, Persia's radar towers were defended by tanks rather than by infantry. I'd be curious to know what kind of programming logic results in such behavior. One possibility that occurs to me is that Xerxes might have thrown away just about all the infantry he could spare from city defense attacking me so tanks were what he could scrounge up to guard the towers when I blitzed through his territory so quickly.

Nathan
Old February 3, 2003, 02:33   #256
nbarclay
Emperor

For the first time ever, I've fought a genuine modern-era slugging match. When I was ready to attack China, I planted a spy to see what forces they had, and I knew right then that was one civ my MAs wouldn't just roll over with minimal losses in a handful of turns. On the other hand, with my economy the stronger of the two (and fully mobilized for war) and with a human's superior ability to concentrate forces at the point where they are needed, the outcome was never in doubt. Or wouldn't have been, at least, except for a little wild card I'll mention later.

My forces included 52 mechanized infantry, 75 MAs, 17 artillery, 8 guerillas, 5 cavalry, 15 jet fighters, 7 destroyers, and (last but not least) four armies. Had I managed the Persian war differently, I likely could have had a couple more armies from leaders, but I hadn't thought through how important a role they would play in the Chinese campaign.

Against my forces was a Chinese military of 105 mechanized infantry, 48 conventional infantry, 19 tanks, 19 artillery, 17 guerillas, 8 cavalry, 4 marines, a paratroop, a rifleman and a musketman, a helicopter, 17 cruise missiles, 22 battleships, 9 subs, 9 transports, 4 carriers, 4 ironclads, 3 destroyers, a nuclear sub, 21 jet fighters, 14 bombers, an old-fashioned fighter, and one army. And then there's the wild card I mentioned earlier: three tactical nukes. Fortunately, China hadn't researched Synthetic Fibers yet, but they did have the prerequisites so I couldn't be sure how long until they got it. China also had the advantage of being extremely well dug in, with numerous radar towers (often two and at least once as many as three covering a single city), and most of their core cities were over size 12.

Against such an opponent, I used two main strategies. (1) When practical, I took out radar towers before going after cities. I couldn't afford to bog down my offensive too much because I was capturing cities instead of razing them in spite of China's having about one and a half times my culture. But if I could get to a city's radar towers without significantly delaying my attack, they were primary targets. (2) To the extent that I had healthy ones available, 4-unit MA armies went in first. In most of my games, I've tended to regard armies as a bit of a waste because they can usually just take out one unit. But with most of China's MAs veterans (thanks in no small part to their genius Sun Tsu), I needed the punch. Even armies occasionally died against the kind of defenses China could put up, but with a large reserve of elite MAs from the Persian war, I was able to build up armies faster than China could destroy them. On a couple occasions (including the conquest of Beijing), I also resorted to using artillery to heavily damage cities before attacking, but most of the time, I was in too much of a hurry.

The war bogged down at first as I struck into China's heartland. I lost almost a third of my MAs in the first two or three turns, and most of my cities were still working on peaceful improvements started before mobilization. But as China's heartland fell and my own military production reached full speed, the German tide became unstoppable. Once China had been expelled from the German mainland (and starting a little before), the Aztecs became the center of unwanted attention, but their riflemen stood no chance at all against forces designed to take on a superpower.

Once I finished driving the Aztecs off my continent, I made peace with both the Aztecs and the Chinese. Four turns later, when a peace treaty with Rome expired (a renewal of a previous peace treaty where I'd demanded per-turn tribute), I took them out, and my borders expanded enough for domination a couple turns or so after that (in spite of a last-second flip by an Aztec city).

As for the doubt I mentioned earlier, there were times when I had such a large percentage of my forces concentrated in one place that a well-placed tactical nuke could have been devastating. Fortunately, Chairman Mao cared enough about his people not to unleash such devastation within his own territory. One tactical nuke was destroyed in one of my attacks, and he still has the other two, perhaps on nuclear subs roaming the world's seas somewhere.

Year of victory: 1695 AD.
Old February 3, 2003, 03:22   #257
nbarclay
Emperor

From this game, I have two main observations about Communism:

1) I seriously doubt that I could have fought a grinding, expensive war like the one with China staying under Republic or Democracy. The war lasted too long, with too many losses. Communism (the AU mod version) left me with solid production, and by the end of the game, I was actually keeping up with Babylon's Democracy in science, probably even gaining a little.

2) On the other hand, it was only AU 203's special rules that forced me to fight such a bloody war to begin with. Under normal rules, I most likely could have secured my own oil supply from Russia or Rome before I ever got Motorizd Transportation, saving me from squandering a significant chunk of my tech lead buying oil. Worst case, my war with China would have been much like my war with Persia actualy was - MAs slicing through infantry in spite of the defensive advantages that come with Radio. Best case, panzers (perhaps upgraded to MAs as the fighting progressed) would have won the war with China before China even got Radio. (If I find the time and ambition, I may possibly play out that alternate ending and see what happens. I don't have a lot of interim saves, but one happens to be from six turns away from Refining.)

Conclusion: If you find yourself stuck slugging it out with a large, powerful civ that has MIs, Communism is a perfectly viable form of government. But it's still a lot better if you can avoid getting in such a situation to begin with.

Nathan
Old February 3, 2003, 21:16   #258
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

What great AARs everyone! I finally finished the game (1730 A.D., Emperor, AU mod) over the weekend, and I will not post a long story because most of what I experienced has been mentioned already. That's what I get for taking my time to play the game. (Some AU PBEM games get more turns in per day than AU 203 for me! )

However, here are some lessons from my version of the game:
  • Communism is most efficient when you have the minimum number of cities working a given number of tiles. This means minimum overlap between your large cities. Keeping this fact in mind, I went for a sparse city spacing. When Communism eventually came, and until I had conquered half the continent, I lost very little production in my core cities. Ultimately, however, the power lost from having unworked tiles in the first half of the game did not make this approach worth it. Looking at Dominae's and Nathan's impressive early finishes, tight city spacing makes the difference even in this scenario.
  • Like others, this was my first experience with modern warfare at this large scale. I was very glad to play this game, and I definitely learned some new tactics. However, I'm not sure I like the tactics that proved effective in this case. For example, to keep my number of cities low (and hence my core cities productive) I razed about half of the cities I conquered. Even the AI spacing was too tight for my taste in some cases. Furthermore, when I was conquering 3-4 size 12+ cities in one turn, I could not spare the troops to quell all the resistors and prevent flips. Razing towns in the ancient era is one thing, but razing a metropolis in the modern era doesn’t seem right. Another tactic I used that I had never employed before was the use of settlers to found temporary cities and shrink enemy borders, so that I can get within reach of the next city in the same turn. But founding a city and abandoning it one turn later was also something that didn’t seem right.
  • The Communism, Longevity and Pyramids combination is insane! Produce settlers like mad (which is also a good way to keep core cities from starving out of WLTKD). Raze cities and replace them with new size-1 cities. Because of Longevity, the Pyramids, and ready railed irrigation from the former city, a new city often grows to size 5 in 6 turns!! Because of communal corruption, you can start building improvements from scratch at lightning speed. Who needs rush-buying? Add the Internet to the mix, and you don’t even have to build cultural improvements for border expansion! Just go straight for Aqueducts, harbors, marketplaces, hospitals, barracks, and then start pumping out MA in a few turns each!
  • Even though I came to appreciate the qualities of Communism in this game (see above), my view of this government has not changed. It is still not as good as Monarchy for war. Yes, Communism is good if you don’t have a good FP placement, but when you’re at war, you can usually get a leader to create an efficient Capital/FP placement.
    With all the leaders I got in this game, I could have had an awesome empire in Monarchy, with multiple palace relocations, giving me the most efficient Capital-FP placement at each stage of the war.
  • The AI seems to be especially aggressive when it has a bad starting location. In my game, Rome eliminated Russia and stayed in the game up to the end. I think it was Catt who reported an early attack from Caesar in his game. And remember the Greeks in the previous (expansionist) AU game? They were ultra-aggressive (for Greeks) probably because of their bad starting location.
  • I went for the Great Library, which helped me a lot, but it was not really necessary. Surprisingly, the Great Lighthouse (don’t laugh; I lost the race to the Colossus!) had the same effect, as I brokered techs between Babylon and the rest of the World for quite some time.

All in all it was a great learning experience for me. I probably doubled my playing time at war in the modern era just from this game. It took many hours, and I often had to take a break without even completing one turn, but it was worth it. Thanks for setting it up!
Old February 3, 2003, 21:58   #259
Dominae
Emperor

Very interesting and insightful comments, alexman (so much so that I have nothing to add in response!).

By the way, given that you finished in 1730AD, only 4 turns after me and a few more after Nathan, I'd say your loose spacing worked better than you give it credit for. But generally Communism is not the way to go, so I think tight spacing as a strategy is here to stay.

Dominae
Old February 4, 2003, 03:03   #260
nbarclay
Emperor

One more interesting thought from my game: The combination of offshore platforms and mobilization has considerable advantages. Normally, offshore platforms just give one shield on coast and sea tiles, so their value compared with mined, railroaded grasslands is unimpressive. But under mobilization, the value rises to two thirds that of mined, railroaded grassland - or the same as mined, railroaded grassland when not mobilized. That can make coastal cities significantly more useful in adding to one's forces.

Nathan
Old February 4, 2003, 13:07   #261
badman
Warlord

Local Time: 15:41
i've started the AU203 today.
lol but i'm gonna have to quit it already.

i just got heavily bashed by 30 immortals and a couple of archers and horsemen while at the same time getting attacked by about 10 med. inf. and 10 riders.
all i had was 5 pikeman in the city next to the chinese border and 5 pikemen in the city next to the persian.
the other part of my army consists of spearmen in nearly undefended cities.

did you give the chinese and the persians free settlers, BRC?

btw: china was a real powerhouse, they triggered thei GA by building the GW and then built the GL in 9 (!) turns

right now im thinking of reloading the game and trying again, but i don't see how i could build up a force large enough to fight back both persia and china and i don't want to start all over again

Last edited by badman; February 4, 2003 at 13:27.
Old February 4, 2003, 13:28   #262
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Nothing special was granted to the civs, other than the difficulty bonuses that they normally receive.

Some people seemed to have better luck with the AI development than others. You probably got the short end of the stick. Sorry.
Old February 4, 2003, 22:19   #263
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
  • The AI seems to be especially aggressive when it has a bad starting location. In my game, Rome eliminated Russia and stayed in the game up to the end. I think it was Catt who reported an early attack from Caesar in his game. And remember the Greeks in the previous (expansionist) AU game? They were ultra-aggressive (for Greeks) probably because of their bad starting location.
Purely anecdotal from me, but I think the same thing -- it's actually quite logical - with crappy starting terrain go grab someone else's start as early as possible. Most of my early AI rushes (again anecdotal) seem to come from an AI with less than an optimal start and utilize the free starting units given at the higher levels (but of course Germany in the previous AU game caught me quite off-guard). By contrast, most of the "mid / late ancient conquest attempts" come from aggressive AI's with a decent start (and therefore great growth and power).

Quote:
The combination of offshore platforms and mobilization has considerable advantages. Normally, offshore platforms just give one shield on coast and sea tiles, so their value compared with mined, railroaded grasslands is unimpressive. But under mobilization, the value rises to two thirds that of mined, railroaded grassland - or the same as mined, railroaded grassland when not mobilized. That can make coastal cities significantly more useful in adding to one's forces.
Good discovery! Quite true.

Catt
Old February 4, 2003, 22:32   #264
Dominae
Emperor

By the time Offshore Platforms come around, the extra 10 or so Shields you get on average from them in combination with Mobilization rarely makes a difference, IMO. I'm not saying that the game "shoud be won" at that point, just that the reduction of actual number of turns to complete a unit or improvement typically involves more than 10 Shields. With units costing 90-120 Shields, there are very few opportunities for 10 extra Shields to make a difference in the sense just mentioned, assuming most cities produce at least 30 Shields (not unrealistically in the Modern age, and considering that few coastal cities are truly peninsular). Thus, although the city may seem to have a nice bonus output, the actual capabilities of the empire remain essentially unchanged.

I'm not saying the idea/observation is not original, just that I'm not sure the effect is that impressive.

Dominae
Old February 4, 2003, 23:03   #265
Catt
King

Quote:
By the time Offshore Platforms come around, the extra 10 or so Shields you get on average from them in combination with Mobilization rarely makes a difference, IMO. I'm not saying that the game "shoud be won" at that point, just that the reduction of actual number of turns to complete a unit or improvement typically involves more than 10 Shields. With units costing 90-120 Shields, there are very few opportunities for 10 extra Shields to make a difference in the sense just mentioned, assuming most cities produce at least 30 Shields (not unrealistically in the Modern age, and considering that few coastal cities are truly peninsular). Thus, although the city may seem to have a nice bonus output, the actual capabilities of the empire remain essentially unchanged.

I'm not saying the idea/observation is not original, just that I'm not sure the effect is that impressive.

Dominae
I can't remember the last time I built an offshore platform -- the cost-benefit analysis doesn't make sense in most circumstances, IMHO. But in certain cirumstances (particularly if playing the AU mod where Miniturization is required for a space race victory) the observation is valuable. Mobilization on its own is rarely useful in standard rules' games, IMHO, but a tough fight under an AU mod game in the Modern Age makes this kernal of knowledge valuable in my view -- it is so unlikely to be of much use in a standard game that I (and others?) might never really think of it as a viable option. Which would be a shame if playing an archipelago map with a strong need to military headway against a stronger opponent. An extra 10 shields per turn, in an archipelago world where shields are few and far inbetween, might be quite important.

In short, I praised the observation because it pulls me from a rut of conventional thinking -- thinking which is great for 99% of the time, but which allows me to slip into the pattern of not taking a step back and evaluating all options -- and reminds me that a crazy varient of situations may present themselves, and a "fresh view" is valuable.

Catt
Old February 4, 2003, 23:48   #266
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Mobilization... "rarely useful"?

Heathen peacemongering builder!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old February 5, 2003, 00:29   #267
Dominae
Emperor

Call me a heathen peacemonger, but no one has addressed my argument.

1. The bonus Shields rarely reduce the time-to-completion of military units. So basically all the bonus Shields are doing is going to waste.

2. The AU mod rules do force the player to research the Offshore Platform tech for a Spaceship victory if that is the goal, but then why would you be in Mobilization?

3. Offshore Platforms must have their uses (though I would not know). But Offshore Platforms and Mobilization really shining? Like I said, the two effects together are more of a "hm, never thought of that" than a "good to know"-type of thing, if you catch my drift (getting late here, pardon my lingo...).

4. Mobilization is sometimes useful, but rarely after an Industrialized core is available. Since 90% of military units are coming from those cities, and they do not benefit from Mobilization significantly, why bother?

Edit: I'm not sure why I'm arguing this point: Catt's right, 99% of the time this does not come into play. I guess I just want to be sure what to do in the other 1%...

Dominae

Last edited by Dominae; February 5, 2003 at 00:40.
Old February 5, 2003, 01:26   #268
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

In a standard SP game I may have a few cities out on a penninsula having lots of coast/sea squares that is there for the long-term growth and gold. In those cases (as in the archipelago situation), the oil rigs give meaningful production, or more gold when producing wealth.

On second read of your post Dominae, I must mention I have never used mobilization yet.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old February 5, 2003, 03:34   #269
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:

Again, you're ignoring the law of averages as it pertains to mobilization. Sometimes there is no difference at all, but sometimes a single shield can make the difference between (for example) three and four turns to build a MA. It tends to average out. (Edit: Of course if all your core cities are about the same size and production capacity, that may make the law of averages largely irrelevant, but many games involve a mixture of city sizes and production capacities.)

By the end of the game, I was working well over 100 tiles benefitting from offshore platforms, and the vast majority of those benefitted from factories and (thanks to Hoover) hydro plants. Even after corruption, the mobilization bonus on those tiles alone probably netted me an average in the neighborhood of one and a half extra MAs per turn, adding up to probably over 20 extra MAs during the course of the war with China compared with if I weren't mobilized. And that's not counting the benefit of mobilization on land tiles, or the extra left-over MAs from mobilization during the Persian war that I went into the Chinese war with.

I suppose it could be argued that even with the mobilization bonus, the offshore platforms didn't do much more than replace the MAs I could have built (either directly or through panzer upgrades) instead. But they did also help in building other improvements during times when cities weren't entirely focused on military matters, which helped tip the balance in my ending the game on par with Babylon both in technology and in research speed in spite of my communist government. And given two choices comparable in terms of securing victory, the builder in me always chooses the one that leaves me with a stronger, more prosperous civ after the game is over.

I agree with Catt that this approach isn't necessarily useful in most games. But when long, hard modern-era struggles lie ahead, and especially when offshore platforms are desired to help produce city improvements before shifting their focus to things military, it can provide a useful edge.

Nathan

Last edited by nbarclay; February 5, 2003 at 04:26.
Old February 5, 2003, 03:54   #270
nbarclay
Emperor

By the way, one of the reasons mobilization and heavy investment in offshore platforms worked for me in this game was the nature of my core empire. Only seven of the about 27 cities I built myself grew past size 12 (a few more could have but never quite got around to it), and only six were not coastal. Obvously, the situation with fewer, larger, mostly inland cities would be rather different, but this isn't the first time I've gotten good use out of mobilization. (The real fun was in a certain CivFanatics GOTM where several of my core cities under mobilization in a GA were cranking out panzers in a single turn! Of course that involved a significantly sparser city build pattern.)

Edit: I might add that in the vast majority of my games, I never use mobilization at all. I'm normally not in a position where I have to face particularly tough fights, and I'm usually fairly focused on building up my economy in outlying areas while my core uses "excess" production to build units for war. But when I view myself as being in for a tough fight, I do tend to mobilize for the extra edge it provides.

Nathan

Last edited by nbarclay; February 5, 2003 at 04:24.