Old January 4, 2003, 19:40   #1
socks
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 13:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Joining a Democracy game
Hello,

I recently purchased the CIV3 after being a sporadic Civ1 & 2 player - This Democracy version has me intrigued but I cannot find any real info FAQ on it.

1) How does one learn rules
2) How to form join a game

Anhting else appreciated,

Joseph
Old January 4, 2003, 19:46   #2
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 09:44
Well, in order to form your own game, you'll generally have to start your own website and get a whole lot of members.

But you're in luck! As you've already joined this group and posted, you are now an official Senator of Apolyton! You are empowered to vote on and create bills regarding actions that should be undertaken by our President and Cabinet, and able to bring suit in our Sumpreme Court.

Check out the topped threads first, I beleive the Directory will give you some help. Give it some time, and you can become a major player. I came in unknown, and was President of a political party (there are 3: the DIA, Hawk, and Labor), Science Minister, Military Commander, and most recently High Bishop of the new church you may read about.
Old January 4, 2003, 19:56   #3
socks
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

huh
hi Thud,

Thanks but I can't get thru these threads without confusion. Where is your Civ, policies, beliefs & where do I learn - what is a topped thread?

JQ
Old January 4, 2003, 20:05   #4
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

A topped thread is a thread that reads 'Top' first, and has been placed at the top by the administrator so they won't slide off the first page after some new threads pop up.

The 'Term 7: Directory' Thread has two things that you should absolutly read (or at least flip through, even I can't read the whole Constitution without being frustrated): The Constitution and The Tutorial and Lexicon, both at the top of that thread. The Lexicon will giv you the basics and a map, as well as a good deal of terms, but it quite outdated. It really shouldn't matter (except for the map)

Otherwise, I can tell you we are currently at war with another civ (Germany), and are the most powerful and advanced civ.

I suggest you join a party too. Particularly the DIA. (We're the peaceable builders, and the largest party) The Hawks are warmongers, and the Labor-ites are new on the scene, and... interesting in their beliefs.

Have fun.
Old January 4, 2003, 20:37   #5
Mr Mayor
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Warlord

ok how do we join political parties? thats the one thing i realy need to know
Old January 4, 2003, 20:54   #6
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Thud
I suggest you join a party too. Particularly the DIA. (We're the peaceable builders, and the largest party) The Hawks are warmongers, and the Labor-ites are new on the scene, and... interesting in their beliefs.
You do not have to join a party. A recent poll revealed that the majority of citizens are in fact independant. Those who are party members are often people who are stubborn and closed-minded in their approach to the game. I prefer to be thought of as more open-minded, so am a proud independant.
Old January 4, 2003, 20:56   #7
Mr Mayor
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Warlord

i see your point, but i would still like to know how to join one
Old January 4, 2003, 21:18   #8
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Mayor
i see your point, but i would still like to know how to join one
Contact a member of one of the parties. For the DIA you talk to Nimitz (I believe), for the Hawks, well you just say you're a Hawk and that's pretty much it, for the Labor Party, same thing as DIA.

EDIT - For the Labor Party you talk to ME, not Nimitz (which upon further reading it looks like I said that)

Last edited by Meshelic; January 4, 2003 at 22:24.
Old January 4, 2003, 21:32   #9
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Re: huh
Quote:
Originally posted by socks
hi Thud,

Thanks but I can't get thru these threads without confusion. Where is your Civ, policies, beliefs & where do I learn - what is a topped thread?

JQ
Hey socks let me help clarify some things for you.

Ok, so imagine you are playing with your friends at the computer. Since you are the one physically playing the game and sitting at the screen, you are President. Now, maybe your friends want to help to, so you put them in charge of the Military, Domestic duties, Foreign Affairs, etc.

Now imagine this on a much bigger scale, say, with 150 people, who are ALL SENATORS who can propose laws and vote in polls, except for an elected minister who is part of the executive branch.
They all elect the President, who PHYSICALLY plays the game.
They all elect the Ministers, Domestic Minister (DM), Supreme Military Commander (SMC), Foreign Affairs Minister (FAM).

Each minister submits written orders to the President and tells him what to do. Every week the President holds what is called a TURNCHAT, where he plays about 5-10 turns of the game with a chat line going where others Ministers or Senators can join in and make suggestions or whatever.

The civ that we play is Egypt, whom we have affectionately named the Apolytons after this website. We are basically the leader of the world, technologically, militarily, economically....etc, although it wasn't like that in the beginning.

We have a bi-weekly newspaper (bi-weekly I think?) called the Jungle Gazette (called the Jungle Gazette because we had the worst start location in a huge jungle).

We are in the middle of a World War, which we are winning, against the Germans, Romans, Babylonians and Chinese (not sure about Chinese, I've been gone a little while lately). The rest of the world is on our side, except for the Zulus who are our enemy but remain nuetral during the war.

A TOPPED thread is one that will always remain on the very top of the list of folders that you see when you log in. You'll see it says TOP in front of it. The TOPPED threads contain the CONSTITUTION, the GOVERNMENT, and other important things.

That's all I can really fill you in on. The others are right, a good way to get involved and find out what is going on is to join a political party, or just keep up on the latest news. Eventually you'll understand what is going on. Trust me, I started out here totally clueless a couple months ago, but after awhile you catch on really quick. Keep asking questions too, that always helps a lot.

Meshelic
Chairman Apolyton Labor Party
Deputy SMC and Captain of the Guard, Shadow Service
Old January 4, 2003, 22:45   #10
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:44
Welcome, socks. I'm afraid we still need an updated FAQ, but the Tutorial and Lexicon is still a good resource.

Parties are NOT necessary. I only recently joined one after many months of being an independant. Most Civ3 Demogamers are independant.

BTW, I noticed you've joined two different PTW Demogame teams. I doubt either team will let you onboard while you are also trying to sign up for a second team, so I'd suggest you cancel both Civgroups till you've decided on one team you want to join.
Old January 4, 2003, 23:18   #11
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Socks - one word of advice - join the Labor Party.

Why? We have the most progressive platform in Apolytonia. We abhor slavery. We have the best headquarters. (ask Meshelic. He is the boss.) We have the best parties. Promise.
Old January 5, 2003, 02:51   #12
Nimitz
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG LegolandNever Ending StoriesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Now don't start that, we the DIA have our party HQ in the great capital city of Apolyton the best and the place where most gov. dealings go on. The DIA also hates slavery as I the party president know of non that want to keep it around thats in the DIA. We in the DIA are also one the oldest parties so have many great wines and spirits for our member so in short if you want the best join the DIA.
Old January 5, 2003, 09:43   #13
Mr Mayor
Warlord

Nimitz

sing me up
Old January 5, 2003, 16:30   #14
Meshelic
King

Everytime someone new shows up all the political parties start yelling for new members. I think it's kind of funny, although I did it every now and then.

The DIA....wow. They'll stoop to any level to get more members.....

oh and by the way, seeing Mr.Mayor, a known Mofia man, joining the DIA figures in to everything now.

I wouldn't want the Mofia to have any dealing with the Labor Party. We won't let our life-blood be dirtied by organized criminals....
Old January 5, 2003, 16:33   #15
Mr Mayor
Warlord

your marked Meshelic we have the data tapes!
Old January 5, 2003, 16:35   #16
Thud
Prince

For the Honor and Glory of the DIA!
Old January 5, 2003, 16:42   #17
aleion
NationStatesCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy Game
Chieftain

How do i join the DIA????? Because at this point, it looks best.
Old January 5, 2003, 16:43   #18
Mr Mayor
Warlord

here here!
Old January 5, 2003, 16:55   #19
aleion
NationStatesCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy Game
Chieftain

DIA=Da institute of Advancement
Old January 5, 2003, 17:12   #20
Meshelic
King

Don't be fooled by their large membership. After all, that doesn't make them the best.

Not to say they aren't a powerful party with some very capable members, but before you go joining a party based on how many members there are, or etc, check out the Hawks and the ALP too. All the parties are very accomplished.

After all, if it were not for the Hawks, we would not be in the grand position as the light of the world, a military superpower.

If it were not for the DIA, we wouldn't have anyone to make fun of... Just kidding.

If it weren't for the Labor Party, the DIA would not be as strong as it is today, and probably not the game itself. Once the ALP came around, membership DID grow in HUGE numbers.

Check out every party's Charter, they all have one. Although the Hawk charter is a bit more difficult to find, it's backlogged somewhere....

I urge everyone who is new to check out every party without just skimming the details.

Meshelic
Labor Party Chairman
Old January 5, 2003, 17:19   #21
aleion
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
Don't be fooled by their large membership. After all, that doesn't make them the best.

Not to say they aren't a powerful party with some very capable members, but before you go joining a party based on how many members there are, or etc, check out the Hawks and the ALP too. All the parties are very accomplished.

After all, if it were not for the Hawks, we would not be in the grand position as the light of the world, a military superpower.

If it were not for the DIA, we wouldn't have anyone to make fun of... Just kidding.

If it weren't for the Labor Party, the DIA would not be as strong as it is today, and probably not the game itself. Once the ALP came around, membership DID grow in HUGE numbers.

Check out every party's Charter, they all have one. Although the Hawk charter is a bit more difficult to find, it's backlogged somewhere....

I urge everyone who is new to check out every party without just skimming the details.

Meshelic
Labor Party Chairman
You do have an extremly good point. I just want to know which one fits with what I want. Slavery/WAR
Old January 5, 2003, 17:23   #22
Mr Mayor
Warlord

except a cant join the labour party because of my...... postion on things iam a right?
Old January 5, 2003, 17:24   #23
aleion
Chieftain

Since i've looked at the charters i've decided to go with Labor.....For now at least.

Ambassador to Legoland on the Lux Invicta Team
Member of: Team Lux Invicta (PTW Demo Game)
Old January 5, 2003, 19:04   #24
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Originally posted by aleion
Since i've looked at the charters i've decided to go with Labor.....For now at least.
Welcome aleion, I declare a banquet to be thrown in your honor for joining us. I will fill you in on more details about the Party soon.

We have an incredible lineup, however. I am the Chairman, (since I founded the party of course), Aro is Vice-Chairman, and is also the leader of the Apolytonian Geographic Society (his maps are known the world over as being the best out there). Shiber is our intelligence officer, and quite an outspoken character with excellent views. Panzer32 is our Security Chief and a Regional Administrator of his own province, Kloreep is a Regional Administrator as well, and is a political behemoth! BetaHound is one of our newer additions, (he's a great dog), and is one of the best supporters behind the Labor Party.

We're a good team, maybe without the population of the DIA, but being the Senate Minority Party puts us in a great position to affect change in the nation.

Look forward to hearing more from you,
Meshelic
Chairman, Labor Party
Old January 5, 2003, 19:18   #25
Meshelic
King

Quote:
except a cant join the labour party because of my...... postion on things iam a right?
Hmmm....

Well lets think this through

1. You tried to kill all of us
2. You run a Banack Drug Cartel (if it was bananabis that would be a different story)
3. You tried to kill all of us.

It's your own doing.

Perhaps if you changed your ways.......

Of course the ALP is VERY tolerant of additional members, but that tolerance ends somewhat when you try to assassinate us.
Old January 5, 2003, 19:19   #26
aleion
Chieftain

Just tell me if there's anything i can do

Ambassador to Legoland on the Lux Invicta Team
Member of: Team Lux Invicta (PTW Demo Game)
Old January 5, 2003, 19:25   #27
Mr Mayor
Warlord

(2 Mofia men walk in and shoot aleion in the head, 2hours later he wakes up with a banana sticking out of his head driping in banana jucies)
Old January 5, 2003, 19:30   #28
Meshelic
King

Quote:
(2 Mofia men walk in and shoot aleion in the head, 2hours later he wakes up with a banana sticking out of his head driping in banana jucies)
Old January 5, 2003, 20:19   #29
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Aleion: If you want to help us out on roleplay, go to the BANANA KING Tavern Chain thread and help out Meshelic and me. If you don't like roleplay; then hang around and post the occasional "BETTER WAGES thread...
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old January 5, 2003, 20:36   #30
Nimitz
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG LegolandNever Ending StoriesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Ok Mr. Mayor welcome to the DIA and socks if you still want to join welcome too.