Old January 9, 2003, 11:20   #61
Devil of Truth
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 15:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Tamerlin
I am too young to know this.
Uhg! Gave away my age there, did I?

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Well, I don't remember but naturally I still have the game installed so I can look it up in a matter of seconds: 2,13 MB (and I clearly remember that zipped it's just a wee bit too large to fit on a single 1.44 disk )
2MB! That’s it. I still have both 1.44 discs. 2MB was about 20% of my hard-drive!
Old January 9, 2003, 11:41   #62
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

10% of mine Ah, those were the days...

Last edited by Locutus; January 9, 2003 at 11:49.
Old January 9, 2003, 12:39   #63
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 13:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Devil of Truth
Whoohoo! I win!

Can anybody remember the size of a complete Civ1 install?
What do you mean remember? I still have one!

I'll tell you the size of the folder when I get to my other computer later today.
Old January 9, 2003, 12:42   #64
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

ahenobarb,
Wow, a 4 hour cross post?! That's got to be some sort of record...
Old January 9, 2003, 12:44   #65
HuangShang
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 06:45
i played Civ1 be4 b/c my math teacher had it
Old January 10, 2003, 16:12   #66
ahenobarb
Prince

The size of the original Civ I folder is 2.1 MegaBytes. That means that the CTP2 game is more than 100 times the size of Civ I!
Old January 28, 2003, 07:05   #67
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:45
The guy who reviewed MTW in the link is too ignorant, foulmouthed and stupid to be reviewing a strategy game, foul language normally being a sign of someone with a limited vocabulary. (And I won't mention the Robocop stuff. Good movie, but not for the violence.)

I have not played any of the newer RTS games out there, but I have never seen an AI that adjusts so well to the myriad conditions that you encounter when two armies meet in MTW (differences like quality, size and abilities of troops). It adapts strategy depending not only on its forces, but yours as well, plus the particular terrain you are fighting on.
As far as realism, the detail of the factors taken into effect on the battlefield is incredible, from fatigue to morale to unit facing. There are probably a dozen things that affect morale, and they differ from unit to unit enormously, and breaking an enemy's morale is really the key to victory, just like in real life.

The TBS part of the game is pretty simplistic compared to a civ game, but that is because the bulk of the work went into the battle AI. Thus, IMO, the game does NOT try to be everything to everybody.

To sum up, for me the game is as enjoyable and addictive as anything I have ever played. To appreciate the game you have to really study it, just like with a civ game, and this takes time plus a knowledgeable, mature person, which disqualifies the jackass who wrote that review.

Btw, I have just posted the latest version of my MTW mod, and I am really excited about it. Check out the readme link at the site to see what I have been up to for the last few months.
Old January 28, 2003, 10:41   #68
HuangShang
King

MTW huh? that game is really good, but i dont have it....
Old January 28, 2003, 15:29   #69
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:45
Ive got Shogun, not a bad game. Something tells me Wes' post was intended for elsewhere too.
Old January 28, 2003, 15:34   #70
Locutus
Deity

I think Wes is referring to the review IW linked to at the top of this page (or bottom of the last page, depending on your forum settings).
Old January 28, 2003, 15:36   #71
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 08:45
Could somebody fill me in on this...

I got Shogun really cheap a while back. Recently, I gave it a try. I never made it out of the first tutorial because as hard as I tried, I could not get the troops to move to the flag in the courtyard. I must of clicked on the #@$% flag, underneath the flag, on top of the flag for 45 minutes.

I gave up on frustration - am I missing something here????
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old January 28, 2003, 19:02   #72
HuangShang
King

wow , how could that happened? could u get them to move at all?
Old January 29, 2003, 11:19   #73
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Movement was no problem, but getting them to the flag was impossible. The units went everywhere but but the @#%! flag.

I know I'm not the greatest RTP, but I can point and click a mouse...
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
Old January 29, 2003, 12:59   #74
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Sorry Hex, I'm not sure that I understand your problem. I've never played Shogun: TW, but I do have MTW. MTW is a good game I've spent many hours with it. The downside, is however, that it may not be enjoyable for the average civer, because the TBS portion is to simpistic. The RTS part can be very intense, and to be quite honest I've yet to get the hang of it. I'd reccomend it, but don't expect a civ-type game. Its more like Risk, mixed with AOE for the battles. <-- that's of course is still not a good comparison because as Wes said the AI is very good and the startegic depth in the RTS portion is better than any RTS that's currently out there...While AOE for example was more of a rock/ scissors/paper - bigger army wins.
Old January 29, 2003, 21:01   #75
HuangShang
King

maybe its a trigger that keeps u away/close to another object?
Old January 30, 2003, 02:43   #76
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:45
EDIT: Reading Hex's post again, maybe he was supposed to play capture the flag since it was the tutorial, but I bet the real problem is something very simple that we should demand the answer to, when he finally figures it out.

Original post below, which describes the purpose of the flag in the regular game. (Pretend it's accurate for Hex's problem and it's quite funny.)

I tell ya, I come to a game forum and get Comedy Central instead....(see the post I just made in the Med mod errors thread in the mod forum)

Hex, you're not supposed to play "capture the flag"!
The flag is a marker which you place to mark where you want your reinforcements to assemble. It begins in the middle of the map by default, waiting for you to place it where you want it.
It sounds like the middle of the map was inside one of the structures placed on the map. On some of them, like farmhouses, you can't enter the fenced-in yard beside them.

This incident deserves to be immortalized in a sig, if anyone wants to claim it. (I had some real fun doing that back in my Ctp1 days.)

Last edited by WesW; January 30, 2003 at 02:49.
Old January 30, 2003, 06:50   #77
child of Thor
Emperor

I had the same problem as Hex when i first played Shogun, sometimes it was just impossible to get your troops in the tutorial to move to where they were supposed to go(click on the flag). And then after a few attempts it seemed to work and then the rest was easy to get through. In fact the tutorial wasn't 100% helpful in that it would tell you what to do in a display box, then when you had started the box would close and wouldn't come back untill you had finished that section. So unless you wrote down the instructions i suppose it was possible to get a bit 'lost'. Still i did get through it and it was quite useful. So Hex just click on the flag alot until it(the tutorial) is happy

Medieval is a good game like Shogun- very atmospheric.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old January 30, 2003, 10:40   #78
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Yeah, the problem is in the tutorial - I'm one of those people who actually play the tutorial when I get a new game

The irritating thing is the narrator (drill seargant) and his comments after about 20 minutes of failed attempts.

I'll have to retry it in the near future. After my failed attempt, I uninstalled the game, so it was not a huge priority for me.

Besides, Dale is keeping me too busy at the moment.