Old December 5, 2000, 12:24   #31
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 22:54
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Vel, this FM experience for me is unique to the situation. I am on a relativly small island, I won't give the number of bases I can fit because my opponent sometimes reads these boards

But I was finished exploring by the late 30's so I don't have to worry about my explorers causing drones. We are playing with rare native life so worms aren't a big worry. Plus, I don't have to worry about getting invaded anytime soon. This is the first time I have had a game like this in a long time, possibly ever.
Old December 5, 2000, 22:57   #32
Sikander
King

Local Time: 21:54
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Ogie,

Thanks for your reply. I'll have to give it a try soon. Fortunately playing this part of the game goes fairly quickly, so it shouldn't take too long to give it a fair test.

Crawler Upgrades:

I admit to doing this sometimes, though it doesn't feel right, and I have never made it a basic part of my strategy. It is really powerful, especially when you are rolling in money by running FM or using zillions of Engineers (my favorite).

Battle Ogre:

I hadn't considered cashing in the Ogre early, but it does sound like a good ploy. Last night I was fooling around and started a game on a fairly small Island, though not so small that I got a boat. Just after I reached IA, Santiago showed up and threatened me, then declared war and dropped two rovers next to my headquarters. Fortunately, I had popped an Ogre pod very early, and that Ogre was sitting in University Base. Needless to say, that took care of the rover problem. In order to defend myself, I then put a crawler on every coast square, which should take care of Santiago until she gets either marines or airpower. I have used this tactic numerous times to deal with invaders from overseas, and it seems to completely stymey the AI.
Old December 6, 2000, 08:49   #33
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 04:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
BTW, off-topic, about ogres, has anyone ever cashed a big one in? Imagine the mineral value of that little baby....

I use crawlers in much the same way I use caravans in civ2 - it effectively adds the mineral production of the base to the one actually building the SP.
Old December 6, 2000, 10:26   #34
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

M13,

Poor me I have yet to even find or see an advanced Ogre . If I did tho' I imagine your correct, the min value would be a nice tidy sum.

I know they exist, just like unicorns .

Og
Old December 7, 2000, 02:26   #35
hellrazor
Chieftain

I believe the mineral value of a Mark I Ogre is the same as a artifact...50 minerals. I've never cashed in one of the higher level ogres...never even got one in fact.
Old December 7, 2000, 14:14   #36
LeMark
Settler

According to AlphaX.txt, Battle Ogres Mk1, 2, and 3 are worth 50, 75, and 100 minerals respectively.