Old January 14, 2003, 06:59   #121
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 14:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
actually I do like the one Atari Teenage Riot song they did with Slayer on the Spawn soundtrack. Good soundtrack.
But a terrible movie *yuck*

Quote:
As for some 80's tunes that rock.

Try Pat Benatar- Hell is for Children. Yeah she's kind of pop, but her old stuff rocks out. It's amazing this song cause controversy with religous leaders. They didn't even bother to learn what the song is about. Also Heartbreaker by her is another one of her's that really rocks. Also Joan Jett- I love rock and roll. It's a bit overplayed so you may be tired of that one.
I listened to both Pat Benatar and Joan Jett when I had my Tom Petty/Neil Young-period in the erly ´90s. Maybe it´s time to dig out those old tapes again...

And you are so welcome for the muscial tips
Old January 14, 2003, 13:09   #122
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 08:49
I liked Yes best when Wakemen was on the keyboard. My favorite album is Yessongs - the live compilation. I think that their best stuff was done from Fragile (or was it the self-titled...) to Yessongs. I never liked Union and really hated everything they did in the '80s. They weren't even really Yes then. A couple of years ago they started touring again with a new keyboard player. I think they've had about 10 different people in the band altogether.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old January 15, 2003, 16:00   #123
Leo826
Settler

Anything by the Who!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	the who - live03.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	33991  
Old January 15, 2003, 16:16   #124
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:49
FIREWATER

FIREWATER FIREWATER FIREWATER

Firewater - Get Out Of My Head
Firewater - Some Strange Reaction

for starters.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old January 15, 2003, 16:34   #125
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 16:49
Quote:
Anything by the Who!
"the kids are all right"?

yes, I know it's a used joke.
Old January 15, 2003, 18:13   #126
MosesPresley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander

I don't like political rock, especially when it is mediocre musically. Neither band had much of an impact on me really. Obviously many feel differently.

Now you're talking! There are so many great Zappa records. I don't know how many times we listened to Joe's Garage in college, but Ibet any one of my friends from that time can still sing all of the songs. Moon was a fantastic contributor to those albums as "Mary". A couple of my favorite hard rocking Zappa tunes are "I Don't Even Care", and "The Illinois Enema Bandit" (from Live in New York, with Don Pardo introducing it).

I like Bowie's rock days, "Rebel, Rebel", "Gene / Genie" (which sounds a lot like the Yardbirds) etc., but I like his stoned days even more.

"Electric Larryland", "Locust Abortion Technician" and some of the obscure (but still alive somewhere in my vinyl collection) early stuff is good too, but some an acquired taste to be sure.

My three faves for exactly the same reason. Bruford added so much to that band, but people tend to neglect the drummer, especially in a band like that with so much talent.
Thanks for noticing.

Do you like some of the lo-fi bands? e.g. My Dad is Dead: "The Taller You are The Shorter You Get" is classic. It sounds a little like Joy Division without the despair. I think Mark Edwards' lyrics are insightful and his guitar work is beautiful, but a little too regimented sometimes and unfortunately his vocals are a little weak. This one is lo-fi, because MDID can't afford any better.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old January 15, 2003, 22:43   #127
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 13:49
I think liking Yes is a basically immoral stance basically equivalent to holding a really evil ideology of some kind.
Old January 15, 2003, 22:46   #128
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:49
Y and T?