View Poll Results: Senate Bill: Shall Seti be used to relocate the Palace to Macross City?
YES! 14 40.00%
NO! 18 51.43%
Abstain 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 6, 2003, 13:45   #1
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 08:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Senate Bill: Shall Seti be used to relocate the Palace to Macross City?
The purpose of this bill is to use Seti to relocate our palace to Marcoss City. The executive branch would handle the logistics.

Poll expires in 72 hours.
Old January 6, 2003, 13:53   #2
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

We should not relocate the place to Macross City. Therefore: no

Simple enough.
Old January 6, 2003, 13:54   #3
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 09:49
This bill should be listed as, "Should Seti be used to move the Palace to a now location" and we can have anouther Poll for were we really want to move it to.

E_T
Old January 6, 2003, 13:57   #4
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Why take 2 bills to do what 1 can?

Anyway there's no other city I'd support moving the palace to at this time.

Quote:
Originally posted by E_T
This bill should be listed as, "Should Seti be used to move the Palace to a now location" and we can have anouther Poll for were we really want to move it to.

E_T
Old January 6, 2003, 14:58   #5
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 07:49
The posted bill is correct. The evidence in support of Macross City is overwhelming. Vote Yes
Old January 6, 2003, 17:12   #6
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

The Evidence, that you speak of only showed the difference between HII, MC & Timeline, as at the time, they were the only Cities that would have been capable of building the Palace, within a timely mannor.

IF we are to use Seti to build it, should it not be prudent to look at as many options that we could. IF, for instance, we do want more of the Southern part of the continent, then it might be better to have the Palace moved to Old Avignon of may be Hole in the Wall or somewhere else.

THe placing of the Palace should coincide with our plans for the future, not the plans of the Past.

That is why I think that this Bill is worded Wrong and a New Bill should be posted, for just having him for the move. We can play the next 2 turns of the game and have more time, to present the plans and properly debate this issue.

E_T
Old January 6, 2003, 17:26   #7
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 05:49
Palace move Yes, Macross, I do not know. Need more data on other options....
I will go with no for that reason
Old January 6, 2003, 17:35   #8
joncnunn
Emperor

The whole point of moving the palace is to get the future Iron Works city close enough to have as little of it wasted.

So why not the Iron Works city itself? Well, it's still building the Iron Works, and it can't be rushed via money. (Unlike Marcoss City Factory.)

Marcoss City also brings the whole of the most productive cities onto the mainland so we will be able to produce Tanks fast without having to ferry them.

The more turns it takes for a final resolultion, the more we deny ourselves the oppertunity for additional GLs during this war which given the timing can either be used for Armies or else one of the many small wonders that haven't been built yet in any of the cities that have just finished building something that turn.
Old January 6, 2003, 17:49   #9
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Since the dawn of time, our nation has centered around Apolytonia. The very mention of moving the Palace from this sacred location, the location chosen for us by the almighty Banana, is nothing short of heresy.

NO!!!

Our Palace should remain in it's rightful place.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old January 6, 2003, 18:08   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I am currently an Apolytonian. Yet now you wish we call ourselves Macrossissies?

I have no desire for our civ to be sissies. I shall bleed red Apolytonian blood until the last drop is drained from my cold dead carcass.
Old January 6, 2003, 18:11   #11
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

As I named Macross City, I fully support anything that will make it a more grand and spectacular city.

On top of that, it is by far one of the best locations we can have for our capitol, particularly if we decide to annex our greek friends. Even now, it will improve our productitivity significantly and help us generate more money. I fully support this move from a game stand point as well therefore.

GodKing

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old January 6, 2003, 18:41   #12
joncnunn
Emperor

The Romans moved their capital to Constanpole, and still considered themselves to be Romans.

We can do the same.
Old January 6, 2003, 19:06   #13
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Yes, for the reasons I already stated in the pre-poll
Old January 7, 2003, 14:11   #14
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Macross City is too far away. You'll throw all of Central Apolyton and Uber Isle into corruption.

NO
Old January 7, 2003, 14:38   #15
Kuciwalker
Deity

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

manually add +1 to NO!
Old January 7, 2003, 14:39   #16
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:49
I voted NO :

- for personal reasons : I'm in this DG from the very beginning, and I grew to love Apolyton and the fact this city incarnates our very rise to hegemony despite the odds. You can call it "RP" if you want, but it is not a role I play. I really love our Apolyton.
When my voice has as much weight as anybody else, I don't hesitate to vote for non-economic reasons.

- there are economic reasons as well :
I don't believe it would serve any purpose to conquer Greece (or to conquer any Civ), as the cost of such a conquest will be extremely high, and it is likely not to return on the investment by the end of the game.
Therefore, rather than positioning our capital at the border, we should position it where it will be the best suited for our internal growth. Avignon/Los Alamos is a sound idea, being close to Ferropolis (our Iron Works city) while being closer to our most corrupt part of the empire (Old France), and a tad close to the current core of the empire. For the same reasons, Here It Is sounds satisfying.
I don't know how E_T did his corruption charts (he told me it was very time consuming, so I cannot do this at this juncture), but applying them to some former French cities might be very interesting, if we assume we do not need any more territory.
Should we move our capital (which I am opposed to anyways), I wouldn't be in favor of Macross City.
Old January 7, 2003, 14:51   #17
Kuciwalker
Deity

If we move our capitol, we should rename the city to Apolyton.
Old January 7, 2003, 15:08   #18
joncnunn
Emperor

Spiffor, as I recall according E_T's spreadsheet's "Here It Is" decreased it by about 1 percentage point. The Iron Works city would be closer to it than the existing Palace, but further away than both Marcoss City and Avigon.

Uber Island would definately see increased corruption, but that's the least important portion of our empire. With Police Stations, the increased corruption in the southern portion of Central Appolyon should still be manageable.

Avigon is in a better geographic position for the overall position of the Palace true, but that city doesn't even have a Market Place yet, and old France is somewhat lacking in inferstructure in general. Initally the Iron Works City would have the same rank order with Avigon as with Marcoss City. The difference is that a palace in Avigon flips the Russian City faster than the palace in Marcoss City flips the Greek city, but there's probably not enough difference to matter on huge maps. Overall, if we have an offensive war when we have Tanks and get a GL 60+ turns from now, this city should get serious consideration, but at this time Marcoss City is much better.

Last edited by joncnunn; January 7, 2003 at 15:33.
Old January 7, 2003, 15:10   #19
joncnunn
Emperor

"New Apolyton" would be even better, but that's a different matter.

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
If we move our capitol, we should rename the city to Apolyton.
Old January 7, 2003, 16:44   #20
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:49
If Seti is not used for relocating the palace then I suggest that we use him to build Wall Street.
The Military Academy is 100 shields more expensive, but it is not needed right now so we can build it with one of the next GLs. If we build the Mil. Academy now and wait on Wall Street we'd lose the interest for every turn that we wait.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old January 7, 2003, 17:42   #21
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Using Seti on a small wonder is a waste right now as the Palace does need to be moved and is much more expensive.
Old January 7, 2003, 17:55   #22
joncnunn
Emperor

As I recall, in order of most expensive to least expense

1. Palace with the # of cities we have
2. UN, Cure for Cancer, Longetivity Vacine (can't be built yet)
3. Manhatten Project (can't be built yet)
(tie). Hoover Dam (currently being pre-built)
4. Theory of Evolution (2 turns from completion)
5. SETI & SDI Small Wonders (also can't be buit yet)
6. Tie between Army, Battlefield Medicine, and Military Academy
(tie). Pentagon (Can't be built until we have 3 armies)
7. Wall Street
Old January 7, 2003, 18:27   #23
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
The Romans moved their capital to Constanpole, and still considered themselves to be Romans.

We can do the same.
But they no longer call themselves Romans, they wish to be referred to as Constantnopleidiots.
Old January 7, 2003, 18:46   #24
joncnunn
Emperor

Prior to the fall of Constanpole (ironically after they had fought off 2 two seiges by the Muslems only to be sacked during the Crusades by Knights in western Europe) they styled their Empire "The Roman Empire" and refered to themselves as "Romans".

It's the historians that named their empire differently.

Currently, residents of that city regard themselves as "Turks". Sometime after the crusades, a tribe of Turks came in and made that city the capital of the Ottoman Empire. During WW I, UK took over the southern and south-eastern portions of the empire and left them with what is today Turkey.
Old January 7, 2003, 19:17   #25
Kuciwalker
Deity

I still think we should keep the Palace at Apolytonia.
Old January 7, 2003, 19:35   #26
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 13:49
Once again, people are getting RP in the way of Game play. Its the same as the slave issue. Give it up! A move to Marcoss City has been proven to be the most benificial to our empire (And I'm the Governer of the region that SHOULD loose the Capitol and increase corruption).
Old January 7, 2003, 20:52   #27
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

There is nothing worth burning a GL over eccept the palace move. The military academy must be built prior to the end of next term and Wall Street must be finished as well. If we don use him soon, we might as well wait for the UN as that is the next one saving a GL for.

I support the palace move but I am not confident that Macross is right. That is the dilemma of my no.

Mss
Old January 7, 2003, 21:21   #28
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Was there even a poll deciding where to move the Palace in the first place? Or even a discussion?

I've been gone a little while, so please excuse my ignorance on this....
Old January 7, 2003, 21:40   #29
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
Was there even a poll deciding where to move the Palace in the first place? Or even a discussion?

I've been gone a little while, so please excuse my ignorance on this....
I didn't see any poll.
Old January 7, 2003, 21:57   #30
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Would those who have voted NO on this poll please tell us if their objection is to the move entirely or to the city selected?

To those that have already said that their objection was to the city, please tell us what city you would prefer.