View Poll Results: Do you accept the name "Apolymuria" for our first city?
Yes. Apolymuria looks good! 6 40.00%
No. I hate it! 8 53.33%
Abstain/ Whatever! 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 7, 2003, 13:54   #31
HuangShang
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 06:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i want to change my vote the JingChen

that way, any chinese person will instantly know which one is or capital

if that doesnt do, then XiJing is just as nice
a list from best to worst:

JingChen
XiJing
GongYuan (no not "park")
GuoZhou
(yet to come ones go here)
Xi'an
DiYiChen

and a side note... what is up w/ a city name teflon, thats a bullet resistant "cloth"(cant think of good word) right?
Old January 7, 2003, 14:25   #32
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 01:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Lemur City!
Old January 7, 2003, 14:40   #33
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:49
I noticed Pedrunn made a few minor mistakes in his list, I'll repost the list with the mistakes (that I could find) corrected and a brief explanation about the origin of the name for each of the historical/mythical cities (as far as I can offer it):

Gondolin -> Elven Kingdom in Middle-Earth
Xanadu -> ???
Teflon -> very strong and resistant material, no clue what else it could be...
Honshu -> largest and most important island of Japan (location of Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, etc)
Erebor -> A not precisely defined area in Near Eastern Middle-Earth; location of e.g. Lonely Mountain, Dale and Long Lake.
Troy -> ancient city made famous by Homer’s account of the Trojan War
Tallassar -> ???
Irenui -> ???
Camelot -> in Arthurian legend, the seat of King Arthur’s court
Timbuctu -> centre of commerce, science and religion of Mali kingdom in Africa; fabled for its riches in gold and the wisdom collected in the universities and libraries; name by far outlived the city
Walhalla -> or Valhalla; in Norse mythology, Odin’s hall for slain heroes
Babylon -> ancient Mesopotamian city of great riches, for almost 4 thousand years one of the biggest and most impressive cities in the world
Angkor Wat -> capital city of ancient Khmer civilization in Cambodia; HUGE temple complex, often called 8th wonder of the world
El Dorado -> a city or country of fabulous riches held by 16th century explorers to exist in So. America
Paititi -> Incan name for El Dorado
Caral -> By far the oldest city in South America, in a river valley in Peru; only recently discovered, the find changed modern view of pre-Columbian history in America and civilization in general drastically, as it thrived on trade rather than on conquest; other than that, we know little about it
This -> first capital of ancient Egypt, founded after north and south were united by Narmer/Menes; effectively the starting point of the ancient Egyptian civilization
Dwaraka -> the site of the legendary (south-Indian) city of Lord Krishna, as described in the Mahabharata (epic similar to Ramayana)
Kishkindha -> A mythical city from the Ramayana which was ruled by a monkey king
Acropolis -> Greek meaning, "city at the top"; it isnt on a mountain but it is "on the top" in some sense; its more a central defensive position inside a city, but it makes a good city name all the same too

If needed, I'm sure IW (edit: and HuangShang (X post)) can provide further explanation.

Last edited by Locutus; January 7, 2003 at 14:46.
Old January 7, 2003, 15:08   #34
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 08:49
wow, when i voted against apolymuria it was 5 to 1 in favor, i figured it was a shoe in
Old January 7, 2003, 15:51   #35
ískallin
Call to Power II Democracy Game
Prince

My suggesstion
Valhalla: the capitol of the Scandinavian gods and resting place for the brave vikings who died in battle
Bilskirnir: the city of thor his palace had 500 rooms
Nóatún: the city of "vanir"(big strong betiful pepole) also the city of Njörð the seafaring and commercial god
Útgarður: the city of the jotunn Útgarða-Loka
Élúðn: the resting place of the ones who did not die brafely(from diesise and old age and such) it also holds the palace of Hel.
Þrúðuvangur: the palace of Freyju the godess of beuty and passion
Vopnafjörður: the place were i live
Old January 7, 2003, 16:46   #36
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 14:49
Gondolin: Largest (Middle Earth) Elven City ever. Surrounded by mountains, and thought to be inconquerable, until a traitor gave away it's location, and the orcs came marching in.

Xanadu: as in the poem. More of a region than a city, but:

In Xanadu, did Kublai Khan,
A mighty pleasure dome decree,
Where Alf the sacred river ran,
Through caverns measureless to man,
Down to a sunless sea.

I thought Erebor was the lonely mountain? Whatever. That kind of thing.

Tallassar and Irenui I pulles outta my arse.
Old January 7, 2003, 16:52   #37
Frozzy
Emperor

I voted yes, IIRC. I'm changing. Thats 8-6 AGAINST Apolymuria.
Old January 7, 2003, 17:43   #38
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Poll updated to reflect CoT's and redbull's change of mind.

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Quote:
Xanadu: as in the poem. More of a region than a city, but
It's a Mongol poem? I'm supposed to be somewhat of a connaisseur on Mongol history/culture, but I never even heard of it Then again, I hate poetry, that gives me somewhat of an excuse

Quote:
I thought Erebor was the lonely mountain?
Yeah, me too. But I checked some online LOTR encyclopedia to be sure, and this is what came up...

Quote:
Tallassar and Irenui I pulles outta my arse.
I tried everything I could but I couldn't find *anything* about it, not a single reference, not even in Polish or Swahili or whatever (just about any random string of characters means something in some obscure language ) I thought I was loosing my touch
Old January 7, 2003, 18:03   #39
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I'm impressed at that. I woulda thought one of them would have turned up something... S'pose I better copyright them

It's not a mongol poem, its Samuel Coleridge's most famous epic. It apparently came to him perfectly complete in a dream, and he set about typing it out. Then a man (nobody ever found out who - probably a Jehovah's Witness) came to his door, and broke his train of thought. The poem is unfinished.
Xanadu has since been used as a fantastical name for a Middle Ages-type Asian mystical semi-paradise. Sort of thing. Hard to explain.
Old January 7, 2003, 18:35   #40
Locutus
Deity

Hmm, none of that rings a bell, never even heard of that Coleridge guy, or Xanadu for that matter. How the heck does an unfinished poem turn into someone's most famous work? If that's the best he could do, he must have been a pretty poor poet Oh well, probably some weird British thing

Anyway, I think this Coleridge dude didn't listen very well to his dream: it would seem to me that Xanadu is most likely supposed to be Shangdu, the summer palace of Kublai
Old January 7, 2003, 18:48   #41
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I'd call you an uncultured swine, but my knowledge of Dutch poetry is somewhat limited as well.
Xanadu
Old January 7, 2003, 18:52   #42
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Oh, second-most famous. Tell me you've heard of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner?

(maybe Shangdu didn't scan as well...)
Old January 7, 2003, 19:38   #43
Locutus
Deity

The rhyme of the what?

Like I said, I hate poetry. If the guy had written some decent books like H.G. Wells, Charles Dickens, or even Shakespeare, I would probably have heard about him, but surely you don't expect me to waste time with poetry? :puke:

I don't think there are too many Dutch poets I can name two and one of them died like 500 years ago. We merchant-minded Dutch are too sensible for silly things like that: if you have something to say, say it directly - don't prance around the point with 'clever' wordplay...

(I think you screwed up the URL)

Last edited by Locutus; January 7, 2003 at 19:44.
Old January 7, 2003, 20:02   #44
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 08:49
the rhyme of the ancient mariner, don't read it. trust me, your better off not knowing.
Old January 7, 2003, 20:07   #45
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Ooh, yeah I did.
Xanadu

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Immense poem about how some guy kills an albatross and jinxes the voyage. Oh, and I agree with H, whatever you do, don't read it. Boring as anything. Just acknowledge its existance.

Bah.
Old January 7, 2003, 20:21   #46
Locutus
Deity

Bah, you linked to the poem, I was hoping for a link to the mythical city thingie... It's rather short for an epic, isn't it? Mr Coleridge obviously didn't read the Mahabharata

Quote:
the rhyme of the ancient mariner, don't read it. trust me, your better off not knowing.
Don't worry, I don't intend to, I prolly wouldn't read poetry if I were alone on a desert island with nothing else to do...

Quote:
Immense poem about how some guy kills an albatross and jinxes the voyage.
Sounds like your average poem alright
Old January 7, 2003, 20:44   #47
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
... It's rather short for an epic, isn't it?
It's unfinished.
Old January 7, 2003, 20:48   #48
Pedrunn
King

Local Time: 10:49
This thread is getting fairly off-topic. Still i wont freezee the game for this i will just temporarily call this city by the literature location name: Good Land while we dont come up with one.

BTW, i want to add this name to the suggestion list

If anyone wants to add a suggestion do it until tomorrow when i will start a poll with all this names. The only ones voted will be added to a new poll from which we will get two finalist. The game shall not stop at all for such a small thing
-Jean Rostand
Old January 7, 2003, 22:06   #49
HuangShang
King

Quote:
Originally posted by HuangShang
i want to change my vote the JingChen

that way, any chinese person will instantly know which one is or capital

if that doesnt do, then XiJing is just as nice
a list from best to worst:

JingChen
XiJing
GongYuan (no not "park")
GuoZhou
(yet to come ones go here)
Xi'an
DiYiChen

and a side note... what is up w/ a city name teflon, thats a bullet resistant "cloth"(cant think of good word) right?
all u's just ignored my post!!!
Old January 7, 2003, 22:48   #50
Pedrunn
King

Local Time: 10:49
Quote:

all u's just ignored my post!!!
I didnt It will be included in the thread. Do you want to explain the cities you pointed? It is just that my chinese is a beat rusty
-Jean Rostand
Old January 8, 2003, 01:14   #51
Frozzy
Emperor

Blah. MY IDEA:

All future city names should be posted here. The 1st in the poll will be the 1st city name. The 2nd will be the 2nd city name. And so on and so forth until we run out of names.

I also wish to nominate "Lemuria Café Villiage" to my previous suggestion.
Old January 8, 2003, 13:13   #52
HuangShang
King

nice to see people do care so heres a list redone

JingChen means the capital or a great city; often used to describe BeiJing by well everyone, and sometimes NanJing or Tokyo

XiJing exists in china, but its the single least know; its "capital in the West part of country"
BeiJing is north; the current capital where the current Communist Dynasty resides as well as the Qing, Ming, Jin, Mongol (Yuan) and other little(lesser) dynasties ruled from
NanJing is in the north part of the south. ÄÏ, spelled nan in alphabet, says its in the south, NanJing is a great city w/ a great history, one of the longest-running capitals
DongJing is east, most people call it Tokyo because thats the lauguage of the people living there; DongJing is a translation

GongYuan is a cool name. if ¹«Ô°£¬ it means a public park
but im aiming for a (sounds different but alphabets exactly the same) imperial court or imperial garden
do u know Yuan Ming Yuan?

GuoZhou is (i just dont have a reason) "country's City"

Xi'an is self explanatory right? i meant it to be last on the list

DiYiChen is a desperate attempt to think up of more tight-ass names

i think Frozzy's idea is good, but the list will be long, maybe voting for 2 or 4 name per person?
Old January 8, 2003, 13:48   #53
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
do u know Yuan Ming Yuan?
I know the Yuan and the Ming, but I never heard of such a thing as 'Yuan Ming Yuan'...

Quote:
Xi'an is self explanatory right? i meant it to be last on the list
You explain Beijing but not Xian? I guess from a Chinese point of view that would make sense, but not from a Western one, I'm afraid. To many of the people here Xian probably means little, and personally I think it should be on top of your list (beats Beijing for sure)

For those Western barbarians who are clueless on it: Xi'an (aka Chang'an) was the capital of the Qin dynasty, the first real dynasty of the modern Chinese civilization (after whom China was named). Later it also served as capital for the Zhou, Han and Tang and some other dynasties (in total it was a capital a dozen times, for in total well over 1,000 years). Historically and culturally, it's one of the most important cities in China and home to the famous terracotta army of Emperor Qin.
Old January 8, 2003, 13:56   #54
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:

I think that the material you are thinking of is Kevlar. Kevlar is used in bullet proof vests etc.

Teflon on the other hand is generally used for the floors and countertops of kitchens and bathrooms.
Old January 8, 2003, 13:59   #55
HuangShang
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus

I know the Yuan and the Ming, but I never heard of such a thing as 'Yuan Ming Yuan'...
YuanMingYuan was looted and destroyed by british and french troops, so naturally, everyone cant forget

Quote:
You explain Beijing but not Xian? I guess from a Chinese point of view that would make sense, but not from a Western one, I'm afraid. To many of the people here Xian probably means little, and personally I think it should be on top of your list (beats Beijing for sure)

For those Western barbarians who are clueless on it: Xi'an (aka Chang'an) was the capital of the Qin dynasty, the first real dynasty of the modern Chinese civilization (after whom China was named). Later it also served as capital for the Zhou, Han and Tang and some other dynasties (in total it was a capital a dozen times, for in total well over 1,000 years). Historically and culturally, it's one of the most important cities in China and home to the famous terracotta army of Emperor Qin.
thanx for the explanation to everyone

Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge
I think that the material you are thinking of is Kevlar. Kevlar is used in bullet proof vests etc.

Teflon on the other hand is generally used for the floors and countertops of kitchens and bathrooms.
oh ok
Old January 8, 2003, 14:13   #56
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
YuanMingYuan was looted and destroyed by british and french troops, so naturally, everyone cant forget
Ah, yes. I do know what you mean, but I think I know it under a different name (forgot which one though )
Old January 8, 2003, 14:27   #57
HuangShang
King

Ô²Ã÷Ô° in northwest district of BeiJing

what r we to do to start the poll?
we'll incorporate the ideas of Pedrunn and Frozzy right?
Old January 8, 2003, 14:32   #58
Locutus
Deity

Pedrunn is the President, he has the Constitutional power to name the city whatever he wants. It's up to him to decide if and how a poll should be held.
Old January 8, 2003, 15:40   #59
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge

Actually teflon is used for protecting cloth too.

Its also used to make non-stick frying pans. You see my knowledge of teflon knows no bounds

Back on topic: Do we cast votes here for the capital city name? Or is a new thread going to be made?

Maybe something like 100 points max and 30 max per name vote?
Old January 8, 2003, 15:50   #60
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora

Actually teflon is used for protecting cloth too.
I assume that you mean as a stain guard? To the best of my knowledge, a bullet would rip through teflon with ease.

Anyway, back on topic... the voting idea may be a good one. Kind of like what was done with the national flag. One problem is that we can't allow it to slow down the game. So Pedrunn should go ahead and choose an intermitant name, while the "official" name is decided.