View Poll Results: Should these discussions be allowed?
Copying + no-CD cracks 7 58.33%
Copying only 1 8.33%
Cracks only 1 8.33%
neither 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 6, 2003, 15:32   #1
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 13:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The difference between copying and cracks
No-CD cracks modify the game software, and are illegal under the license agreement.

Making a backup of a game is not illegal, and in some cases is the right of the consumer.

So, if someone wanted to know how to copy the Civ3 CD, would I be allowed to help him? If not, why not?
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old January 6, 2003, 15:56   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 08:50
yes, it's legal to copy your own CD for purposes of backing up / archiving / whatever. it's a hazy line and markos will say no to everything because he's markos.
Old January 6, 2003, 16:15   #3
optimus2861
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:50
^^ Note that in some countries (Australia, New Zealand, I think even the EU), the right to make a backup is explicitly stated within the law, meaning that a license agreement cannot override it.

But you're right -- clock's ticking, on when this gets closed.
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old January 6, 2003, 16:17   #4
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 06:50
It's legal to make multiple copies for your own personal use. Not that this will matter here at 'poly.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 6, 2003, 16:32   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 16:50
And backup copy is legal as long as it's only used for purposes of, well, backup. As soon as you give/sell it to a friend, it's illegal.
Old January 6, 2003, 16:34   #6
Oerdin
Deity

I could sell it as long as I delete all my copies and transfer all the original manuals and what not. Am I right?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 6, 2003, 18:28   #7
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

technically, yes.

markos believes in the slippery slope theory, once you are allowed to talk about legally copying a cd, people will begin to talk about how to copy the cd so they can give it to their best friend. better to just kill all talk of copying and leave it at that. no grey area makes it easier to moderate
Old January 6, 2003, 18:47   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
It's legal to make multiple copies for your own personal use. Not that this will matter here at 'poly.
with computer software, it's one copy, one machine, as stated in the licence. you can;t copy civ3 to play on multiple machines.
Old January 6, 2003, 18:57   #9
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 15:50
/me at H Tower's explanation

when apolyton is the last site on the internet where discussions about copying game cd's for backup reasons can be possibly made, let me know. until then, there are sites(with servers in transylvania and huge disclaimers) exclusively devoted for that kind of stuff...

Last edited by MarkG; January 6, 2003 at 19:03.
Old January 6, 2003, 19:48   #10
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
And these sites can discuss ways of getting around copy protection too.

But it seems fair enough not to have that discussion on 'Poly. I mean, who actually makes backup copies of their cd's, and why?
Old January 6, 2003, 19:53   #11
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 14:50
zulu, there is PM and e-mail... Not to mention numerous other sites for this stuff, as Markos says... If you really want to know it´s not hard to find out
Old January 6, 2003, 19:54   #12
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 14:50
Skanky are you stalking me?
Old January 6, 2003, 19:58   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:50
You don't need Poly for cracks and suchlike - it's not hard to look for that sort of thing. This site is more about the freely available downloads (scenarios, maps, patches) and discussing the gameplay. I have seen little if any hardcore code discussions here, and modifying the game in such a non-conventional way (conventional would be through using scenario tools) is not what this site, IMO, is about. If we classify crack discussion as such a technical issue, then you shouldn't find it here.

Good thread, BTW.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 6, 2003, 21:10   #14
Tuberski

All of what has been said is kind of funny, since I was told about the NoCD crack right here on good ole' Apolyton.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old January 6, 2003, 21:51   #15
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

that just means the mods didn't catch you. it doesn't mean it was right. with this rule, markos remains in the clear, and he can point to evidence that he tries to enforce it, ming's always closing this kind of thread.
Old January 6, 2003, 21:57   #16
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
markos remains in the clear,
and stand on a good relationship with game compagnies for things such as interviews, chats and even having them as members posting.....

Allthough, maybe the nocd for PTW's european edition could have been an exception to the rule...
Old January 6, 2003, 22:03   #17
H Tower

slippery slope, slippery slope.
Old January 6, 2003, 22:11   #18
Oerdin
Deity

Ouch! I think I just slipped and hit my head.

(on the slippery slope that is)

Last edited by Oerdin; January 6, 2003 at 22:18.
Old January 6, 2003, 22:12   #19
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
that just means the mods didn't catch you. it doesn't mean it was right. with this rule, markos remains in the clear, and he can point to evidence that he tries to enforce it, ming's always closing this kind of thread.
I should rephrase that. I wan't told about I read about it in these forums, I don't actually have the crack itself.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old January 6, 2003, 22:25   #20
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

We delete any links the second we see them, or they are reported. We do what we can.
Old January 6, 2003, 22:29   #21
Oerdin
Deity

I have a question which may seem dumb to you. In this age of CD burners why does anyone who wants to use warez even need a no cd crack. Couldn't they just download the program, burn it, and then play?
Old January 6, 2003, 22:57   #22
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Easy of use...

The cd doesn't need to be in the drive, which saves on

1. electricity
2. noise (especially if you have a very vast cd-rom)
3. wear on the cd and drive
4. time (game starts faster and you don't have to look/search for the cd)
5. ?
Old January 7, 2003, 02:49   #23
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:50
It also helps when the CD protection prevents a game from starting correctly...
Old January 7, 2003, 03:20   #24
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:50
Yup- and I had that happen from Homeworld:Cataclysm; didn't like my DVD drive at all and would only run with a cracked .exe.

Pretty messed up- the whole industry really.
Old January 7, 2003, 03:26   #25
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:50
Copy protection also uses system resources, apparently even after it has initially verified the cd and loaded the game. Some people have reported that their legal copy of a game would run slowly, and a simple application of a nocd patch would allow the game to run decently.
Old January 7, 2003, 03:28   #26
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
(conventional would be through using scenario tools)
Scenario tools? Naive Civ3er...

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
ming's always closing this kind of thread.
And all other mods too

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I have a question which may seem dumb to you. In this age of CD burners why does anyone who wants to use warez even need a no cd crack. Couldn't they just download the program, burn it, and then play?
Most games have some form of copy-write protection these days. Not that these protection mechanisms are particularly hard to get around, but then again, most pirats aren't particularly bright
Old January 7, 2003, 03:35   #27
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Copy protection also uses system resources, apparently even after it has initially verified the cd and loaded the game. Some people have reported that their legal copy of a game would run slowly, and a simple application of a nocd patch would allow the game to run decently.
Although I suppose it would have to be looked at on a game-by-game basis, I think this is not so much an issue of CD protection software, but more an issue of where the game gets its data from: when offered with the choice to get files either from the CD or from the HDD, some games prefer to get their data from the CD, even though the HDD is faster. The noCD patch eliminates the option to get data from the CD, forcing the game to use the HDD data and thus speeding the game up. That's also why hacked games often miss intro movies and stuff, since such things are usually stored solely on CD...
Old January 7, 2003, 03:42   #28
Hurricane
Warlord

Personally, I think the best thing about no-cd cracks are that you don't have to switch CD:s all the time. I mean, in a world where everybody is used to remote controls, 5 disc CD carousels or HDD MP3 players, somebody still expects us to do the mightily exhaustive task of switching PC CD:s all the time.

On the other hand, I'm too lazy to download the no-cd cracks for every new patch, so I still end up switching CD:s frequently.
Old January 7, 2003, 04:00   #29
Oerdin
Deity

The best solution imaginable would be if the government would pss a law restricting copy right holders from blocking CD owners from accessing their own CDs.