Old December 11, 2000, 03:46   #1
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 22:55
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Great playing by the AI
In my last game I lost every one of my bases on my home continent to the Caretakers. I had only one base left on an island. The Pirates sent some naval ships off the coast of my island and started pounding that base and destroying all of my improvements. This was successfully starving my population and hurting the production. I was very angry by the way...LOL but you would be too

The naval bombardments continued and then came in some needlejets. They finished off my formers and destroyed 2 of them which were all I had there. My first base was built on the center of this island so I needed a coastal. I setup another base to the south on this same island along the shore so I can build some naval vessels. Not long after here comes a transport with some infantry and it landed the troops and took over my south port base.

Then with my last base, I finally got a parimeter defense setup and a decent garrison. So I felt pretty well and decided to build an offense unit to retake the coastal base. Then another transport landed with more infantry right next to my base. But after the turn the infantry still stood there and remained in position. I was wondering why but then here comes my worst nightmare, more needlejets which took out the garrison then the infantry moved in to capture my last base and end my game.

This is some of the best playing I have ever seen an AI do in a strategy game! It completely beat me off of my entire home continent! I lost everything and it was not even close. Then I could not even hide on my island because it successfully conducted an air/sea bombardment on my island. It landed ground troops and took over my base. Then it used air support to destroy my garrison and finally move the infantry into my base for capture. Oh, I was playing on the Librarian level too.

In SMAC a strategy that works in one game might fail badly in another. The difficulty depends alot on the map setup, your situation and what is going on in the game at present. Sometimes I do very well but other times I lose badly even if I play the same difficulty level each time.
Old December 11, 2000, 06:02   #2
Skanderbeg
Warlord

Local Time: 04:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I have similar experiences. The one games the AI uses its units very stupid, the other it knows exactly what to do.

But if You got trouble with the caretakers (or the ursurpers as well), send out the nerve gas rovers!