Old January 7, 2003, 00:30   #1
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 08:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Preferred government, Naming Conventions, unimportant subjects...
First a serious but unimportant topic: Has anyone thought about naming their continent? Trip started referring to our region as "Luxia". I'm not quite sure if he meant our empire or not, but I began to use in my mind the term "Luxia" as the continent we are in. Sorry for the ethnocentrism if other teams are in our continent, but thats just how I think. But we should have a naming convention that not just myself (or my teammates) use. However, since the information on where each team's starting location is somewhat a valuable information, we wont know whos on who's continent entirely. But please do keep in mind that naming of continent which can be agreed by all team would be a convenient. Is anyone else using a naming conevention for their continent?

Another unimportant topic. Nothing to do with game but have you noticed that each team has different form of government? No not the government in game but how the demo team is governed. Espana(roleplay) seems to run in a dictatorship, GoW according to what I know roleplays tribal leaders from cities representing the government (republic), We Lux ditched the idea of relection ever since the first one (since we are too lazy to hold another :P) thus are monarchial, and NDE is democratic, even mimicking the arduous beauracratic process. How is Vox and GS demo game run? Do we have a fundamentalistic or communistic way of playing demo game?
Old January 7, 2003, 00:53   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 09:51
Just for the record, only the area around our capital is in the province of Luxia.

But yes, I've started an impromptu geography naming process. At this point, the geography of every team is probably still relatively secret, but we could at least hammer out the continents' names.
Old January 7, 2003, 00:57   #3
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Re: Preferred government, Naming Conventions, unimportant subjects...
Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
Espana(roleplay) seems to run in a dictatorship, GoW according to what I know roleplays tribal leaders from cities representing the government (republic), We Lux ditched the idea of relection ever since the first one (since we are too lazy to hold another :P) thus are monarchial, and NDE is democratic, even mimicking the arduous beauracratic process. How is Vox and GS demo game run?
You know, I can't help but noticed that you mentioned every team but one... hmmm... which team could that be... Frankly, I'm hurt

As for naming of continents, we at Legoland have been naming geographic features, and have not named the area as a whole yet. It should be interesting when teams collide and find out what different names have been given to the same thing. You know, Mt. Mortar for us is Mt. Killeveryonedead for another team.
Old January 7, 2003, 01:13   #4
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

im sorry. its rather late here and i havent had enough sleep last night. ... by the way you didnt explain your teams government sys. I woul really like to see a team roleplay and call each other as "comrade".

Quote:
It should be interesting when teams collide and find out what different names have been given to the same thing. You know, Mt. Mortar for us is Mt. Killeveryonedead for another team.
Exactly. We need a universal name. I guess we wont be able to do that until later but at least you guys can share the names you are using now as long as it doesnt reveal anything. (For example small island or something)

Also what is your capitol cities name? revealing that wont hurt would it? (unless you named it port town)
Old January 7, 2003, 01:38   #5
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

I still like BFM's suggestion for a name: "Don't Raze Me!"
Old January 7, 2003, 02:13   #6
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Our capitol is named "Legopolis." Of course, that name gives away our easy access to strategic reserves of little plastic blocks...

I would suggest that perhaps once all teams are in contact with each other, some sort of World Geography Board be set up to keep track of naming conventions. That way teams can refer to things as they always have within themselves, but will have universal names for dealing with diplomatic matters.
Old January 7, 2003, 02:29   #7
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Uhm, am i the first espanol to post here?

for geographical names, i see no reason to formally agree on a universal set of names.

different nations have different languages, and when they discover new things, they should have a natural tendency to name things differently.

as our world will grow older, some names might stick, others might not. It should be up to different nations to adopt names for certain things. A naming convention is unneccesary bureaucracy, much like elections for a monarchy

but if a Universal code makes things easier down the road, than maybe it can be used, if all parties agree
Old January 7, 2003, 02:42   #8
Jon Shafer

I think a few baseline things ought to be worked out... imagine if every team had a different name for every continent.
Old January 7, 2003, 02:51   #9
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
I think a few baseline things ought to be worked out... imagine if every team had a different name for every continent.
well, that would be explained by every team speaking a different language

RP rules!
Old January 7, 2003, 04:14   #10
ZargonX
Emperor

Well, even in the real world there are accepted international standard names of places to avoid confusion. The Japanese word for America is acutally Beikoku, but no one there ever really calls it that. Nope, it's just America in day-to-day speech.

And besides, wouldn't it be embarassing to invade the wrong continent because you called it by a different name than your ally?
Old January 7, 2003, 05:02   #11
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:51
As far as government goes, the Gathering Storm are trying out a new form, at least one that I haven't heard of before. We are a "schooled" nation, with each Scholia handling a specific theme, and all of them reporting back to the chief.

I guess you could call it an "educated totalitarian democracy" if such a thing could exist.

And as far as geography goes, I support Ninot's and ZargonX's statements. I don't believe a global geographic society is necessary, at least until the whole map is explored by everyone, or nearly the whole map.

I think names will stick eventually. But I think that if each team maintained their own names for things, their own "language" if you will, then that provides a distinct cultural flavor that differs between each team.

Meshelic

Last edited by Meshelic; January 7, 2003 at 05:59.
Old January 7, 2003, 05:14   #12
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:51
we have named our continent Estonia.

I'm not sure how you would describe our goverment. Democracy I guess.
Old January 7, 2003, 09:59   #13
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 07:51
We named our continent "Bob", the second continent we find will be named "Bob 2".
Old January 7, 2003, 10:48   #14
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I see that GoW thought long and hard on a name for their continent!
Old January 7, 2003, 11:21   #15
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:51
Damn you Ghengis, I was just about to suggest that.
You can call the second continent Bub, or Bubba.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old January 7, 2003, 11:42   #16
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
We named our continent "Bob", the second continent we find will be named "Bob 2".
Finally some justice!

if a world can't be named Bob, a continent is the next best thing
Old January 7, 2003, 13:59   #17
ZargonX
Emperor

We at Legoland are running under good ol' Democracy. He have an elected president, under which are elected ministers. The senate is made up of all active members of the team. I'm guessing team size probably had a strong influence on the style of government the different teams chose. I guess we'll see which ones end up being stable in the long run...
Old January 7, 2003, 15:14   #18
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

However, we didn't held any election up yet, but it is in the talks. We are also about completting our constitution (it wasn't rushed Trip-like )
Old January 7, 2003, 16:16   #19
Ninot
Emperor

double post
my first ever double post
Old January 7, 2003, 16:17   #20
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ZargonX
I'm guessing team size probably had a strong influence on the style of government the different teams chose. I guess we'll see which ones end up being stable in the long run...
Interesting hypothesis.

but, isnt RP the largest team? and, if RP's government style is DIRECTLY influenced by its in-game selection, then it would be removed from this team-size influence. Otherwise, i think a despotic government type would least apply to a large team, as a democracy might suit it so well.
Old January 7, 2003, 16:39   #21
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 14:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot
Interesting hypothesis.

but, isnt RP the largest team? and, if RP's government style is DIRECTLY influenced by its in-game selection, then it would be removed from this team-size influence. Otherwise, i think a despotic government type would least apply to a large team, as a democracy might suit it so well.

Just the contrary, Ninot... just the contrary. The more people you have, the less suitable democracy is for getting decisions made...
Old January 7, 2003, 16:43   #22
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

What fascinates me the most about this is that the different teams are actually developing different cultures and ethics. We'll have to see which team's culture actually becomes the dominant culture on their continent. Perhaps geography will be named by the most advanced civ (the first civ to make maps?) or perhaps Geography will be named by the conquerer.

Only time will tell.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old January 7, 2003, 17:22   #23
ZargonX
Emperor

Yes, I was thinking the opposite. I figured larger teams would become more despotic to keep things moving along quickly, whereas smaller teams could get everyone's input in a shorter span of time.
Old January 7, 2003, 18:00   #24
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

GS has a system that is structurally an oligarchy, but in reality pretty democratic.

The "scholias" have leaders who are responsible for gathering a concensus on a given topic and then bringing to the overall leader (currently Sir Ralph). We have a fairly large team, but many of us (most, I'd say) are very active, and there is lively discussion of just about everything. The democratic aspect of things isn't organizational, though - it's just sort of a mindset. If we really need to move on something, we can, despite our numbers. Basically, your level of participation/effort dictates your level of influence. So far, so good.

And the GS cartographic society has named some things, yeah.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 8, 2003, 12:46   #25
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

One thing about us here in the RP team - our in game government is the same as our in team government.

IF we switch to monarchy, so we will run our team as a monarchy, with counts, dukes and barrons.

IF we switch to communism, everybody will be comrad, and our leader will be party chariman.

Republic - senators

so on and so forth.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old January 8, 2003, 18:00   #26
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

What happens if your present ruler, decides to stay in despotism for the remainder of the game???

(that is what desposts do you know!!)
Old January 8, 2003, 20:08   #27
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
What happens if your present ruler, decides to stay in despotism for the remainder of the game???

(that is what desposts do you know!!)
No man can stop a revolution
Old January 8, 2003, 20:13   #28
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

In my infiniate wisdom I have decided to steer my country towards a Monarchy. No need for Revolution, I just make myself King.

Besides, it's much more "in character" for Spain to be a Monarchy, don't you think?

--Belevolent Despot Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old January 8, 2003, 21:43   #29
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Well put Togas.
Old January 8, 2003, 22:08   #30
Zero
King

Of course, you're not saying none of the rp members do any input into the game are you? Im guessing all final decision is made by togas, but even despots have advisors.

I think all PTW teams allow member to engage in the game, but I found it interesting to see that we each handle it different way. And I defintely want to see someone theme their team based on communism (it could be another totalitarian because thats what rel life communism basically is)

More elaborate detail on Lux Invicta's government: (that I can share)

Trip is our leader. aka The King.
BFM, WP, admPJ are the ministers = the nobility.
Rest are just normal folks.

Class doesnt change (as long as we dont hold reelection). So you can think that Trip is always king cause of his royal birth and ministers are ministers because of their noble birth.

However things run pretty much democratically. I guess you can imagine that as Trip fears revolution if he decided to take matters into his own hands when most of us dont approve.

Last edited by Zero; January 8, 2003 at 22:14.