Old January 11, 2003, 00:13   #31
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'd meet up (granted, in a public place most likely) with most any Apolytoner (in save a few)

Hell, I'd even meet up with Speer somewhere. He's not that far away from me

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old January 11, 2003, 01:45   #32
VJ
King

Local Time: 13:51
Quote:
my city sucks plain and simple.
Thanks.
Old January 11, 2003, 01:57   #33
cia
Prince

I live just outside of Phoenix, Arizona. The city is mostly suburbs with little in the way of skyline. It just stretches on forever into the horizon. I think the metropolitan area is about 600 square miles. Hotter than hell in the summer but for the other 5 months of the year it is heaven. Reasonably well maintained but has it's bad sections to be avoided. Not enough freeways which makes travel bad, but not total gridlock. If I had a choice I would live in Flagstaff Arizona. I went to college up there and it is heavenly.
Old January 11, 2003, 02:03   #34
VJ
King

Quote:
athens has been desotryed into being a monster of concrete unfortunately.
A bit like Mexico City?
Old January 11, 2003, 02:17   #35
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Near Washington DC. "The most important city in the most important country in the world".

Hey, I didn't make that up, it was the local slogan for a while. LOL!

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old January 11, 2003, 04:00   #36
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:51
well I'm white trash, what can I say

I live in a white trash neighborhood right now in Las Vegas.

And yeah Flagstaff was mentioned. That would be a cool place to live. It's nice in that area. Probably too cold for me in the winter
Old January 11, 2003, 09:20   #37
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 16:51
What's with the "White Trash" talk? I find it to be a racial slur.
Old January 11, 2003, 09:35   #38
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 16:51
I live in Haifa, Israel

The city has formed from a couple of villages so old, noone even remembers. Haifa's population is about 250,000, but together with the outlying suburbs it's around 400-500k.

We have the largest port in israel considering the amount of ships that pass in a year. The city has an oil refinery, and a large chemical industry, as well as some high-tech industries. The city is situated on a ridge that pentrates the sea, and slopes down towards a valley of a minor river. We have two universities: one , The Israeli Institute of Technology-Technion, is a major university, and is very respected around the world. It has it's own satellite, and me, as a student. The other is occupied mainly with humanities, and sucks.

The city is also the center of the Baha'i religion, a religion that was started in Persia, in the 19th (?) century. It numbers 6-7 million followers around the world. There is a major Shrine as well as their archive, and world council are situated here. Their shrine and complex are amazing , and are to be considered one of the most beautiful places in the country.

Air and water pollution are a problem because of the factories, but the beaches are clean, since most of them are situated on the other side of the mountain, and we don't get our drinking water from the (toxic) river. Unemployment has also been high lately, because Israel's economy is very tech-oriented.
Old January 11, 2003, 12:10   #39
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 14:51
I Live in Torino (Turin is the english name).
A big city just on the foot of the Alps. The city was also the first capital of Italy (something that everyone from Turin will just keep stressing you about it) and is currently one of the most important cities (just after Rome and Milan).
If you want to read about the history of this city and everything just click here

And since a picture is worth a thousand words, here you have 8000 words

A panoramic view:

The Mole Antonelliana: The symbol of the city:

The Big Church of Superga (here is where the plane transporting the Torino Football team crushed, causing the death of the whole team):

The Medieval Castle, now there is the Architecture university there:

The Po River:

Piazza Vittorio Veneto (one of the largest squares in Europe):

Piazza San Carlo (the center of the city):

Porte Palatine (a leftover of the ancient Roman walls):

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old January 11, 2003, 12:49   #40
FemmeAdonis
Prince

Austin, Texas

land of ONE season. Winter does not exist.

if the humidity doesnt almost kill you, the stupid drivers on the TOO small interstate will.

school system sucks.(except for the university)

its too freaking hot all the time.

too many tree huggers.

its pretty in some places though....

did I mention its freaking hot as Hades?

I wanna moooooove somewhere else.

Maybe san antonio...
Old January 11, 2003, 13:06   #41
Graag
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

My family home is in north east london, suburbs much like the suburbs everywhere else in greater london. Too many cars, not enough green, people are ok but tend to avoid any contact with strangers, average crime. One thing that is nice is it is a very very multi-ethnic community, lots of bangladeshis, indians, pakistanis, jews, africans and afro-caribeans. I love walking around the local shopping centres and seeing the diversity of cultures.

I go to university in an appalingly upper-middle class town called Farnham. It's a nice place, lots of fields around and fresh air, but boringly uniform in cultures and attitudes represented. Fortunately the uni has quite a large percentage of foriegn students, all of whom I find fascinating. Lots of norwegans for some reason. Part of the reason I chose to go to uni there is for the contrast to my family home, though. 18 suburbun years of houses as far as the eye can see, smog, and unfriendliness is more than enough for anyone.
Old January 11, 2003, 14:01   #42
Rogan Josh
Prince

I live in Geneva in Switzerland.

Actually that is not quite true. Geneva sits right on the Swiss/French border. I live just over the border in France because the rents are a lot cheaper, but it is only 20 minutes into the centre from where I am so it is practically Geneva. Having said that though, although I am so close to the city my house is surrounded by green fields. This is because it is difficult to get a work permit for Geneva when living in France, so the French bit is still very green. (The work permit isn't a problem for me since I have diplomatic status.)

It is quite a nice city. It is on lake Geneve and within sight of the Alps. The weather is nice in summer, but pretty awful in winter when it tends to get misty because of the lake and the mountains. Lots of good skiing nearby though.

It has lots of rich people, which makes it a bit expensive, but means that there are lots of good restaurants and facilities.

Take a look at this site if you want to see what it looks like.
Old January 11, 2003, 14:27   #43
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 15:51
Not much to tell about this place I live in (Sønderborg, Denmark):

A few years ago, there was "many" netparties, but since an incident in Tønder (Netparty + police = fines), netparties is more seldom (And the few there is, are boring)

So, now the only thing to do in this town is to go to a party, get drunk ASAP, and do the same next day...

Well... there's also a second option (for guys like me, who hates those "Get drunk ASAP" parties): Stay online

The city is too big to relax (~20,000 inhabitans), but too small to being able to do something...
Old January 11, 2003, 15:34   #44
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i've alwasy lived in the state of NY, USA.

i was born in Jackson Heights, Queens, but i was4 when we moved. there was a gang-banger-drug-related shooting in my apartment and my parents decided it was time to leave.

i was raised in Bellmore, Long Island, the South Shore. close to the beach, nice little suburb. gets kinda quiet if you dont drink 24/7 though, and there are a few "rich" people who think they're better than you, but they're really the same class as you just with a lexus / jag /mercedes for some reason. grandpa probably bought it for them.

i'm getting too far into the social aspect . the suburb is clean, and it's a typical weather for long island, highs about 100 degrees (F) lows a little under 0, and those are extremes. usually we get a nice little 70-90 degree span to live in.

theres a bunch of netarties adg

i now live in Troy, New York, right outisde Albany, and a jump skip and a hop from Canada. i should really get some buds together and take a trip acorss the border one of these days. Troy is a college town really, and it's pretty dirty in the city, a lot of hills (long island was pretty damn flat), etc. the best way i can desribe the normal houses in troy are "ghetto". rickety ass buildings on their last legs that no one cares enough to improve. theres a little gang activity around there, every few days we get fliers posted everywhere: "CRIME ALERT: YOUNG MALE WAS APPROACHED BY SEVERAL AFRICAN-AMERICAN MALES, WHO ASKED HIM FOR HIS MONEY. THE VICTIM HAD NONE. THE MALES THEN STABBED HIM IN THE STOMACH AND PROCEEDED TO KICK HIM IN THE FACE". thats oen fo the extreme ones i remember, but there are little ones too (some guy got punched in the face and then the dude ran, proabkly some initiaion thing) and theres also some sex crimes (2 rapes since august). I'm a big dude but even i dont want to walk around troy by myself. The college campus is a little different, but ehhhhh, i still slink away when i see 6 black guys walking together.

the school is only 8% minority btw, and like 70% of that is chinese. so most of the blacks wandering around are from the ghettoes around the campus.

bleh. it's a good school though
Old January 11, 2003, 15:42   #45
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
theres a bunch of netarties ADG
(I guess you mean netParties)

Lemme just pack my backs, and I'm on the way
Old January 11, 2003, 16:08   #46
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

My home village is such a shitty town it's not worth showing, but this is where my uni is and where I live most of the time...
Compared to just 5 years ago, the city has undergone much restoration.. it's actually a beautiful city now, it used to be a grey shitty town..

Central Market

Old Market

Leuven: the capital of beer

The building where i live in (it's not very comfortable on the inside though ) There are aula's in it as well...

Old January 11, 2003, 16:20   #47
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Here's Downtown Reno at night (Looking southwest, Sierra Nevadas in background):
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss_01.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	33697  

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old January 11, 2003, 16:24   #48
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Gaa, can't find my other picture! Anyway, I live a few miles south of downtown (off the lefthand side of the downtown picture).

Old January 11, 2003, 16:25   #49
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

thats a little bright, isnt it?
Old January 11, 2003, 16:59   #50
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 09:51
yall know what it is... the Frankford section of Philly, home of the Whitehall Housing Projects. enough said

Old January 11, 2003, 17:09   #51
orange
Emperor

your pictures don't work Speer.

Rogan Josh - Sounds beautiful

Old January 11, 2003, 17:18   #52
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

His pictures work for me, unless you're referring to some deeper sense of their working...
Old January 11, 2003, 20:24   #53
Blackwidow24
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by FemmeAdonis
Austin, Texas

its pretty in some places though....

did I mention its freaking hot as Hades?

I wanna moooooove somewhere else.

Maybe san antonio...
San antonio gets twice as hot as Austin Femme, and twice as humid, did I mention the drivers are twice as crazy???? I know I lived there and I hated it! Sure it's a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there EVER AGAIN!
Old January 11, 2003, 20:35   #54
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:51
Actually Austin is the hottest place in Texas because BlackWidow lives there.

Mis Novias
Old January 11, 2003, 21:32   #55
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I used to live in many places, big cities like Berlin and Leningrad, medium cities like Leipzig and Dresden, and small ones. By the time (and with increasing age ), I got sick of cities, of all the dust, dirt, noise and chaos on the streets, and moved to a small village in Frankonia.

We have beautiful green hills here, a forest coverage of more than 50%, it's pretty clean (if this can be said in Germany ). I guess for the most of you this place would be boring like hell, but I don't seek entertainment and if I did, Nuremberg, Erlangen and Bamberg are close, 15-30 minutes drive. The living is cheap, we have lots of pubs and restaurants with yummy food, each village has his own brewery, ours has even 2. I'm content. I don't think I ever want to move back to a city again.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	of.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	33714  
Old January 11, 2003, 22:00   #56
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
thats a little bright, isnt it?
It is... and it's not a very good picture anyway, but it was the best I could find in three minutes before I had to go to work.

However, light-pollution here in the Truckee Meadows is AWFUL, even at the southern end of the valley far from downtown. Once you get up into the mountains, either up Mount Rose Highway to the southwest or Geiger Grade (Stateroute 431?) to the south east, the night sky is crystal clear. Absolutely breathtaking...

Old January 12, 2003, 00:49   #57
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I live just outside of Lynchburg Virginia, hometown of lynching and Jerry Falwell. I'd say more but it's common knowledge that the police in this area monitor the internet. Ostensibly the're looking for kiddie porn and child molesters, but they may be working for Jerry and I just don't want any trouble.
Old January 12, 2003, 00:51   #58
orange
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
Actually Austin is the hottest place in Texas because BlackWidow lives there.

You try too hard

No one likes a doormat

Old January 12, 2003, 01:15   #59
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
You try too hard
Just having some innocent fun. You should try sometime, it won't hurt you.

Quote:
No one likes a doormat
No sh1t Sherlock, you got any more high school epiphines you want to share with us? But wait, what is that sound? Yes, that is the sound of projection. It appears you are speaking from experience son.

Mis Novias

Last edited by Ted Striker; January 12, 2003 at 02:06.
Old January 12, 2003, 01:19   #60
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Attached Images:

Mis Novias