Old January 7, 2003, 04:33   #1
Romanus
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sadly, had to uninstall
I really like PTW, especially the single player additions. But I seem to get a crash based on some issue with the exe.

Usually when we are in the modern age.

Has happened every time I play...hours of gameplay lost.
Im keeping PTW, hoping its patched up, but until then its back to 1.29f Civ3.
Old January 7, 2003, 13:36   #2
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 05:52
Single or multiplayer mode?
Old January 7, 2003, 14:02   #3
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 13:52
How much memory, or virtual memory for the computer??

Sometimes I think the crashes may be due to just that reason, that Windows does not have enough virtual memory allocated to it, somehow!

Maybe, just a thought.

I have been still in the first age of the game, and already Windows when I check after playing as already allocated over/around 256 seems like mB, having not really cleared it out yet!!

Just don't know if that is it. But I do know that Imperium Galactic II said to have at least a 500 mB swap file for their game, and that game is old.
I recommend the limit of the OS - Windows allows -- 1gB virtual swap to disk memory -- constant.
Games seem to use a lot of memory, because one can not help to use a lot of memory due to -- Windows!!
Old January 8, 2003, 15:43   #4
Romanus
Chieftain

I play mostly in SP mode, standard maps, usually 6-8 civs. I have 256MB ram and let windows manage VM.

Speaking of Imperium Galactica2, I still love this game, warts and all.
Old January 9, 2003, 18:52   #5
BigDork
Prince

Re: Sadly, had to uninstall
Quote:
Originally posted by Romanus
Has happened every time I play...hours of gameplay lost.
Do you have autosave on? If not you may wanna consider it.

BigD

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old January 9, 2003, 23:26   #6
Romanus
Chieftain

Yep...autosave was on. By 'lost' I mean the fact that the crashing kinda kills the game :-)

Anyway, I reinstalled PTW, and am going to try it again, see how it goes.
Old January 10, 2003, 19:32   #7
typongtive2
Settler

most likely the reinstall will not work i have had the same issue on my machine, but not on my wifes, what motherboard are you using, I am wondering if it is due to tha, who knows
100+ hard drive space
Old January 11, 2003, 00:50   #8
WarningU2
DiploGamesCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG People's Army of the Ladder
Warlord

Local Time: 09:52
I've installed directx 9.0 and it seems to have reduced the number of crashes although I still get occassional out of synch. Crashes can be caused by so many things its hard to tell what causes or fixes them. I also have a 1146-2292 MB swap file and 512 MB of RAM. Just providing in case anyone wants to try setting their swap file bigger and download directx 9 for validation.
Old January 11, 2003, 00:57   #9
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:52
That swapfile is way too big.
The swap isn't a case of the bigger the better, you can you memory manager 'lazy' is you set too big.

Around 300-400 is more then enough in you case.
(the old rule of thumb that swap=2X memory isn't correct/applicable anymore)

What os do you have?
Old January 11, 2003, 01:03   #10
WarningU2
DiploGamesCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG People's Army of the Ladder
Warlord

XP HOME SP1

And its been running fine for several months.
Old January 11, 2003, 01:15   #11
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I'm not saying it will crash, but it might slow down your pc.

PS: if you are gonna make it big, have a fixed setting.

IE: 1146-1146 (no need to let it resize. It will onle fragment your windows partition/drive)

I have 768 MB and no VM
Old January 11, 2003, 01:29   #12
WarningU2
Warlord

Understood.

I found an excellent website with information on monitoring your swap file size and settings.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/paging_f...monitoring.htm

I've setup the monitor and I'll see what comes back.
Old January 13, 2003, 09:33   #13
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

when you uninstall make sure you do a search manually and look for files like infogrames , civilzation , firaxis , etc , .... reboot and install again

dont forget to turn security programs off and let the accept changes if they monitor (!)

have a nice day
Old January 13, 2003, 13:51   #14
Raion
Prince

I have Windows 2000 Professional, the core of Windows XP. The computer with 256mB of memory allows around 150 to 180 mB of memory for the game, no matter what, because of Windows keeping other programs in memory while playing. Main threads one can not get rid of like with home editions OS's which really do not really tell one what is going on.

The Paging file as it is called (Virtual memory manager) always end with around 256 mB of peak commit charge and I am only around the year 1400 A.D.
So, take it from there, I just keep mine constant now, so Windows does not change it on the fly.
It may not take that much, but since people are having over 3000 units in the game with workers and military and lots of cities, it may, perhaps.

Also video drivers can be at length in the game.
I had an older ATI card, and the drivers just did not work with the game. It said it may be corrupting a couple of files.

I bought a GeForce type 2 MX/MX400 PCI card and the drivers from Nvidia.com just seem to be better, since no error messages about corrupt files are made after checking after playing the game (System Infomation programs).

That and actually all one needs to do is (I think) is have the graphics performance acceleration about the middle setting (or at least not all the way up) may also keep the game from crashing.

Although a computer can be fast, there still is a bottleneck most times to the graphics card in a computer.
It always existed, even though some newer graphic cards can be better now.
That and the mouse pointer with the graphics acceleration can add up to crashes.

Other programs also work that way.
Just because most cards may work with all that acceleration, (and sound card acceleration) sometimes it pays to experiment with those settings, because all graphic cards and audio cards are not the same, but work according to their respective drivers, at their respective rates.

Try downing the graphics accerleration performance down a notch or the sound card acceleration performance down a notch, or mouse acceleration down a notch, may be all you need to keep the game from crashing.

The older ATI card always worked better with graphic acceleration in the middle, and the games will still work, well at least most of them, and Civilization III seems to work anyway with those notched down a little despite what the readme.txt files say.

Different levels of performance for different games.
And programs all worked better with my ATI card in the middle of the performance settings, or else they may crash.
And they did, until I changed it.
Old January 14, 2003, 06:09   #15
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Raion
I have Windows 2000 Professional, the core of Windows XP. The computer with 256mB of memory allows around 150 to 180 mB of memory for the game, no matter what, because of Windows keeping other programs in memory while playing. Main threads one can not get rid of like with home editions OS's which really do not really tell one what is going on.

The Paging file as it is called (Virtual memory manager) always end with around 256 mB of peak commit charge and I am only around the year 1400 A.D.
So, take it from there, I just keep mine constant now, so Windows does not change it on the fly.
It may not take that much, but since people are having over 3000 units in the game with workers and military and lots of cities, it may, perhaps.

Also video drivers can be at length in the game.
I had an older ATI card, and the drivers just did not work with the game. It said it may be corrupting a couple of files.

I bought a GeForce type 2 MX/MX400 PCI card and the drivers from Nvidia.com just seem to be better, since no error messages about corrupt files are made after checking after playing the game (System Infomation programs).

That and actually all one needs to do is (I think) is have the graphics performance acceleration about the middle setting (or at least not all the way up) may also keep the game from crashing.

Although a computer can be fast, there still is a bottleneck most times to the graphics card in a computer.
It always existed, even though some newer graphic cards can be better now.
That and the mouse pointer with the graphics acceleration can add up to crashes.

Other programs also work that way.
Just because most cards may work with all that acceleration, (and sound card acceleration) sometimes it pays to experiment with those settings, because all graphic cards and audio cards are not the same, but work according to their respective drivers, at their respective rates.

Try downing the graphics accerleration performance down a notch or the sound card acceleration performance down a notch, or mouse acceleration down a notch, may be all you need to keep the game from crashing.

The older ATI card always worked better with graphic acceleration in the middle, and the games will still work, well at least most of them, and Civilization III seems to work anyway with those notched down a little despite what the readme.txt files say.

Different levels of performance for different games.
And programs all worked better with my ATI card in the middle of the performance settings, or else they may crash.
And they did, until I changed it.
hi ,

for one reason or the other most AI games seems to run excellent at win98SE , ....

Soren from Firaxis has a nice link in his profile to something he did

get mac OS X never chrashes , but you have to wait ages for game is in the stores

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; January 16, 2003 at 10:06.
Old January 15, 2003, 15:24   #16
Raion
Prince

I also have Windows 98SE on my computer, and the game seems to run better with newer OS's. The fact that the ATI card runs better down a notch in the Performance is something about their graphic card and not anything else.

The main thing about Windows 98SE when I bought the game, and had only that, is that I had to use the Windows 2000 bink32.dll file for Windows 2000 because of upgrades and critical updates from Microsoft.

With all of the graphic cards and such, tweaking the computer became a necessity.

That is just, how it works.
I do not know why the World bought an IBM Clone computer in the first place, as IBM has in a sense stated that they should have never hired Bill Gates to program an OS for them.

After all, I have not those problems with my Apple IIC computer, but the rest is Civilization.