Old January 10, 2003, 09:22   #31
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 14:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
As a matter of interest, in the US is it a crime to encourage someone else to commit a crime? (a la 'Shoot the bastard!')

If it is (which I hope it is!) wouldn't Americans regard this as a violation of their right to free speech?
Old January 10, 2003, 09:39   #32
HershOstropoler
Settler

1. It is. 2. Some do.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old January 10, 2003, 09:41   #33
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

You're not arrested for the free speech, you are arrested for being an accomplice to murder. If you said it under your breath and the murderer didn't hear you, then you'd probably be acquitted.

It would probably have to be proven that your statement was partly and directly responsible for the murder, or that you otherwise conspired to commit the murder.

Just conjecture on my part though.
Old January 10, 2003, 09:46   #34
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 08:56
Quote:
Originally posted by HolyWarrior
What do you expect after being pussywhipped by the holocaust extortionists the past 50 years?
"holocaust extortionists" WTF?
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 10, 2003, 09:48   #35
C0ckney
King

he means the jews, obviously.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old January 10, 2003, 09:58   #36
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 15:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Al'Kimiya

Hum So torturing a german would be asking him about his heritage over and over again.

You are even worse than the Spanish inquisition.

Quote:
The guy was, of course, acquitted.
Old January 10, 2003, 10:02   #37
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin

Despite prior attempts and current socio-economic diplomatic efforts via the EU, Germany != Europe.
Unfortunately, at leats economically, that seems to be the case. And it's messing it up for us othe europeans. Schroeder is particularly pissing me off. TIME called Germany "the heartland of the EU" and that the heart is sick (as it is) and schroeder isn't doing crap to clean it up. Who voted for this two-faced ass? He only got in because he played the pacifist card and even now he's licking Bush's ass for apologies...

Role on the day when we get a proper constituition in the EU and one nations stupid decisions won't drag down the rest (because they won't be able to make stupid decisions, that should happen in brussels).

ANYWAY, back to the freedom of speech and accessory to murder topic.

"Who shall rid me of this meddlesome priest?!"

The cultural and classically educated at 'poly should know what I'm talking about.
Old January 10, 2003, 10:02   #38
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 09:56
Quote:
Despite prior attempts and current socio-economic diplomatic efforts via the EU, Germany != Europe.
The Germans aren't the only ones who place these types of limits on free speech. The French have done the same thing in the past regarding Nazi paraphenalia and other European states have similar laws on the books.
Old January 10, 2003, 10:08   #39
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 16:56
good
Old January 10, 2003, 10:11   #40
C0ckney
King

i can sort of understand why germany does it, but it seems to be an unnecessary restriction on free speech, especially in other european states.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old January 10, 2003, 10:14   #41
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

bad

freedom of speech shouldn't be confined, and by hiding these evils know one will learn from them and drive the evil underground. Only by exposing them to daylight can we learn to be prepared to fight them off and counter.

EDIT: oops! I think I just started a huge ranting debate! Sorry Settler...
Old January 10, 2003, 10:16   #42
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:
And Europeans still have the audacity to call the US a police state? ****ing hypocrites...
Nah man Europe is nowhere near the US as a police state
Besides, Germany isn't Europe, it's only the European economically most important state but that's it.

Quote:
TIME called Germany "the heartland of the EU"
I don't give a rats ass what Time thinks, it's not because Time says Germany is the heart of Europe that it actually is the heart of Europe, Germany doesn't control Europe alone, not at all really!

Quote:
He only got in because he played the pacifist card and even now he's licking Bush's ass for apologies...
Well apparently Schröder was the only one who strongly opposed warmonger Bush in his attempts for a war, unfortunately he was alone so he couldn't go on with his opposition, and that's why afterwards Bush controlled Schröder like a little schoolboy... I think that illustrates the power of Germany, it might be very important, but still if it doesn't get support from the rest, it is powerless against the US..

Besides, the only reason why Russia and France were being annoyed with this war is because their oil companies have contracts in iraq, and the US or British oil company haven't! Bush can't get his preciousss in Iraq...

So basically these countries only have oil concerns, the rest doesn't matter for them...
Old January 10, 2003, 10:20   #43
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
he means the jews, obviously.
It was a rhetorical question. I'm trying to get a response so that I can decide whether it was just a asinine statement or he's a nazi.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 10, 2003, 10:28   #44
Az
Emperor

You know, those two don't really contradict each other.
Old January 10, 2003, 10:34   #45
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
The Germans aren't the only ones who place these types of limits on free speech. The French have done the same thing in the past regarding Nazi paraphenalia and other European states have similar laws on the books.
You are still generalising.
Old January 10, 2003, 11:01   #46
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
So?
Old January 10, 2003, 11:03   #47
aahz_capone
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus

I don't give a rats ass what Time thinks, it's not because Time says Germany is the heart of Europe that it actually is the heart of Europe, Germany doesn't control Europe alone, not at all really!
Yes, well I agree with you there. Only economically is germany a main focus of europe, and thankfully not any other way. But still, economy does drive europe and america seems to see the economic powerhouses as the political leaders. Thats why germany's reputation outside europe concerns other europeans.

TIME has been annoying me in the past few years by getting dumbed down and very pro-rebuplican. I've been getting Newsweek recently because they are a tad better, but even that nowadays.... economist next...

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus

Well apparently Schröder was the only one who strongly opposed warmonger Bush in his attempts for a war, unfortunately he was alone so he couldn't go on with his opposition, and that's why afterwards Bush controlled Schröder like a little schoolboy... I think that illustrates the power of Germany, it might be very important, but still if it doesn't get support from the rest, it is powerless against the US..
I don't beleive Schroder personally gives a wienerschnitzle about whether America goes warmangoering or not. He's just riding the populist's agenda. The only reason he spoke up against USA was because that would win him the lelection. It's pathetic how the electorate are swung on single-issue platforms. Don't they know there's more to a government than the one issue at hand? If he really was serious he would have fulfilled his campaign message by siding with the russians and french. But, no, he immediatly goes to whipe Bush's crack. I thought Blair was ass-kissing, but this guy....

And about the oil, yeah, it's a real shame. The faster we get non-oil dependant energy techs, the better off we'll be politically.
Old January 10, 2003, 12:21   #48
HershOstropoler
Settler

"He's just riding the populist's agenda."

The opposition's view was barely different. May have tipped a narrow election, but not more. And he's still annoying the Bushies, about the only consistency Schröder managed....
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old January 10, 2003, 12:36   #49
Pekka
Emperor

I'm glad we don't have that problem. There is one minister who wants to have gestapo though, but he is from Turku, you know the place where they solve unemployment by making them to be speed bumpers.
Fortunately we still have freedom of speech and the most free press in the world (Wohoo!).
I just came here to say that IF Germany is the heart of EU, then we are the balls, go ahead and look the euro coins.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old January 10, 2003, 12:39   #50
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Hell, I used to post at Telepolis too, and partially things worse than H. Voss. Not about 9/11, but about the US government being a bunch of warmongering hypocrites. This seems to be legal, at least nobody has complained yet. Anyway, if I suddenly disappear, you know where I am .
Old January 10, 2003, 12:47   #51
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Quote:
So?

Do you really need an explanation of what is wrong with generalisations?
Old January 10, 2003, 14:25   #52
jasev
staff
Spanish CiversScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversApolytoners Hall of FamePSPB Team Español

Every generalisation is false. Even this one
"Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico
Old January 10, 2003, 16:13   #53
Jaakko
King

Quote:
And Europeans still have the audacity to call the US a police state? ****ing hypocrites...
Now then Drake, could you please explain how the US' status as a police state changes whenever a German man gets prosecuted for a stupid reason. I'm really, really interested in your reasoning.

Otherwise I might just think that is the most idiotic argument ever, or that you are a worthless troll.
Old January 10, 2003, 16:25   #54
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

"
Sounds Facist to me."

Are you calling me facist? Reread my post, I said I disagree with this(refering to arresting the man).

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old January 10, 2003, 17:39   #55
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Yes, I've never understood how anti-nazi/anti-neonazi speech laws could perpetuate themselves in a free society. Does anybody know of other countries in Europe besides France and Germany where they have these laws?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old January 10, 2003, 18:01   #56
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
It was a rhetorical question. I'm trying to get a response so that I can decide whether it was just a asinine statement or he's a nazi.
Neither. Never heard of Norman Finkelstein? Do you think he´s a Nazi?
http://serendipity.magnet.ch/more/finkel.html

Quote: 'But Finkelstein makes clear that the Holocaust Industry is not about making sure that Nazi depravity is not forgotten — it is about extorting huge sums of money from Switzerland, Germany and any other country which can be tarred with the Nazi brush.'

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old January 10, 2003, 18:02   #57
Pekka
Emperor

I believe we can say whatever we want, as long as it's not trying to make someone commit a crime, or 'hate speech', as in trying to agitate people, attack some ethnicities. But it's pretty free, I can go out and shout whatever I want, to pretty much who ever I want to.
I think it's working very good. If I was a skinhead or something, I could go out and wear my insginias and all, shout what ever I want to as long as I'm not attacking anyone personally.
I've never heard of any arrests etc in here.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old January 12, 2003, 19:30   #58
Drake Tungsten
Deity

While I don't agree that generalizations are always false, as some of you seem to think, it turns out I wasn't generalizing in the slightest. The Council of Europe adopted a measure that would criminalize Internet hate speech late last year. The Council of Europe speaks for "Europeans", doesn't it?

My "****ing hypocrites" statement still stands...
Old January 12, 2003, 22:48   #59
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogan Josh
As a matter of interest, in the US is it a crime to encourage someone else to commit a crime?
Only if there is present capability and imediate risk that the crime will occur. I the person being dncourgage is in proximity to the proposed victim with a real capacity to kill yes. I the prospes victim is distant, no.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old January 13, 2003, 00:48   #60
KrazyHorse
Deity

Tribbie's still here? I'd have thought you guys would have chased him away by now you pansies.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'