Old January 8, 2003, 08:34   #31
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 15:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i seem to always be overweight by 5 to 6 kilos after i left teenagehoood.

but when i fall in love or i am admitted in the university i always, automatically, fall back to ideal weight.

unfortunately these can not happen very often.
Old January 8, 2003, 12:14   #32
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 13:56
I lost 20 lbs in the Philippines this last trip. It's easy to lose weight there because there is so little fat in the diet.

Eyebrow lifts!

Old January 8, 2003, 13:19   #33
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:56
Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda
I should start exercising...
Yes. Excercise is actually more important than diet. Even if you don't lose all the weight you want, it still gets your body in shape. And yes, Virginia, you can be physically fit and fat at the same time. Your body will be better able to deal with the strain of being overweight.

Starchild, I lost twenty lbs due to a bad case of food poisoning, but gained it back pretty quickly. When you're sick you mostly lose water weight, which comes right back when you start drinking normally again.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 9, 2003, 12:03   #34
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:56
Quote:
Originally posted by lightblue
2/ What us in the rowings biz like to call ergos, which are the stationary rowing machines.
Yup, rowers are good, but use only the ones with the flywheels, not the type with just two metal bar handle thingies on both sides.
Old January 9, 2003, 14:11   #35
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 14:56
che, a word of warning about cycling. when the footie season finished last year i started cycling a lot, averaging about 40 miles per day (this was on a real bike, not an exercise one ). the result: i gained about 1/2 stone because i eat like crazy, although i expect most of that was fat turning into muscle.

since i got to uni, i don't eat very much and do running, cycling and football, i've lost 1 stone since coming here

gatekeeper, i found cycling really good for bloody sugar control, when i last went to the hospital my long term bloodtest result (for the period i was doing 40 miles/day) was 6.3, which is about as near normal as you can get. something to bear in mind perhaps

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old January 9, 2003, 14:16   #36
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 08:56
Dieting? My dieting is to go from having a BLT, macaroni salad, yoohoo with dozen chicken wings every midnight to like once a full moon. I have a metabolism of a six year old thats on both crack and speed.

(I do have these almost every midnight. Especially during finals.... It's known as my heartattack special. )
Old January 9, 2003, 14:22   #37
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:56
I've been making BLT's with homemade cracked wheat bread, low-fat turkey bacon and lite mayo. Since the homemade wheat bread is kinda big, it's a hefty sandwich, coming in at almost 389.5 calories and 9.9 grams of fat. After having two of those yesterday, I still felt empty, so I topped them off with a couple chili-cheese dogs. I need to switch to lite hot dogs (saving of 120 calories) and low fat cheddar. That'll make those chili-cheese dogs almost healthy.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 9, 2003, 15:54   #38
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 07:56
C0ckney:

I'm averaging 10 miles a day (around 400 calories burned total) on my stationary bike, and both the doc and dietician are pleased at how well I've been at managing my BS levels. Apparently I appear to still be producing a significant amount of insulin and the weight loss (20 pounds or so since the end of October) by itself has been doing wonders in terms of processing the carbs I eat.

For example, I ate a pasta bar on Wednesday night, and my post-meal testing was 132 and four hours after eating it was 121, and this was w/o exercise.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old January 9, 2003, 16:04   #39
The Mad Viking
King

Counting calories and grams is only worthwhile as an educational process, so that you become intrinsically aware of foods to avoid or eat in extreme moderation. Which I believe for "Westerners" are fatty foods.

Dieting as most people understand it is USELESS, except as stated above. The only DIET you need is the one you plan on staying on for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!

As I reached my early 30s, I hit 262 lbs. Not as bad as you think, I'm 6'-5". But still way too much. I altered my eating styles a little and lost 25 lbs.

Five years ago I switched jobs, and soon was travelling alot and eating too many restaurant meals. By last summer I was up to 275.

In August I decided to stop eating unhealthy. I am now 245, was actually less just before the unhealthy holidays.

Most of the keys have already been mentioned:
But the one I didn't see is most important.
PORTION CONTROL!!!
You can eat almost anything, it's how much you eat that matters. Because we have access to lots of very tasty food in so many varieties we eat for taste, until we are FULL. You should never eat until you are FULL. You will find that is you stop while you are still feel "hungry", that in half an hour your hunger will go away. Soon your expectations will be greatly reduced.

Decent high-fiber breakfast.
Salad as part or all of lunch as often as possible.
Lots of water.
Minimal snacking, NONE AFTER DINNER. If you are hungry after dinner, have a glass of water or too. If you must, a carrot / celery stick. DO NOT GO TO BED WITH A FULL STOMACH.
AVOID HIGH FAT-HIGH CARB FOODS- cookies, french fries and potato chips are KILLERS! Eliminate these as much as possible.
Use low fat alternatives for mayo, yogurt, sour cream, salad dressing etc., and low fat cheeses.
Eat balanced with moderation.
Don't drink beer as a routine meal accompaniment. A glass of red wine is better. Control alcohol consumption.

Exercise as much as possible but at least 20 minutes of walking every day.

Strength and conditioning training and muscle building I will leave to others, but getting lean is a must if you want to show off whatever muscle tone you have.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi
Old January 9, 2003, 16:18   #40
tandeetaylor
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:56
I took Xenadrine when I was in the Army to stay awake during class. It worked very well, and it does give you lots of energy and reduces appetite. Too bad it can kill you! Why can't they make a miracle pill that doesn't kill?
Old January 9, 2003, 16:35   #41
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:56
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
I've been making BLT's with homemade cracked wheat bread, low-fat turkey bacon and lite mayo. Since the homemade wheat bread is kinda big, it's a hefty sandwich, coming in at almost 389.5 calories and 9.9 grams of fat. After having two of those yesterday, I still felt empty, so I topped them off with a couple chili-cheese dogs. I need to switch to lite hot dogs (saving of 120 calories) and low fat cheddar. That'll make those chili-cheese dogs almost healthy.

Good God man!

Your stomach is bloated from consuming so much food at a time...best to start by weaning yourself off of large meals before you even consider eating healthier

Damn!

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old January 9, 2003, 16:37   #42
tandeetaylor
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:56
Every time I open this thread, weight loss pop-ups come up. Spooky.
Old January 11, 2003, 12:45   #43
FemmeAdonis
Prince

drink lots and lots and lots of H2o...THE best remedy for a tubby figure.

plus, water gives you energy. When you become dehydrated, your body gets LAZZZZY and you make yourself eat to get energy...

8 glasses of water a day is AWESOME..more than that is ideal.

as far as food, dont' deprive yourself of anything, just limit the amount you eat.

Eating 5 times trhoughout the day in SMALL portions is MUCH better than eating 2 big meals.

your body burns the small portions faster, and you are given SO much more energy throughout the day.

My new years resolutions is also to los weight..and everything Ive told you, Im going to starty doing. I just had some minor surgey done yesterday and the doctor STRONGLY advised me to take it easy for at least a month...

after that....its good diet and exercise for me.

I miss beiung buff.

Old January 11, 2003, 14:56   #44
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 07:56
I think that creating a routine that works for you, and you enjoy is key: if loosing weight is a job, then it becomes more difficult. As for my own experience, I have noticed some wieght loss during my last efw years in college, and during that time I did not diet, or change the types of foods I ate. What did change was the amount of activity I had, and that my portions became smaller (not dramatically, but still). The weightloss was not dramatic either, but it still happened.

Anyway, there has been lanty of good advace already thrown at you. The whole "more water, a bit less carbs and more lean meats" sounds like the best dietary advice.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 12, 2003, 20:24   #45
FemmeAdonis
Prince

right on.
Old January 12, 2003, 21:09   #46
Blackwidow24
Queen

Quote:
[SIZE=1]
My new years resolutions is also to los weight..and everything Ive told you, Im going to starty doing. I just had some minor surgey done yesterday and the doctor STRONGLY advised me to take it easy for at least a month...

after that....its good diet and exercise for me.

I miss beiung buff.

Surgery; hmmm you get anything good? *wink*wink*

That would explain your posting style on other threads today.
Old January 13, 2003, 09:35   #47
FemmeAdonis
Prince

NO...got nothing good..just got rid of something very bad *blinks*

what posting style??

Old January 13, 2003, 10:48   #48
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:56
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
You're eating rather unhealthily, che. Get rid of that bacon, replace it with turkey or chicken. Mayo is bad, use oil and vinegar instead. 389.5 calories isn't bad, it's the fat. And chili-cheese dogs? Oh my, you better watch what you eat.

Are you sure you don't have diabates or something the way you're stuffing your face?