View Poll Results: Vote:
Yea 9 40.91%
Nay 12 54.55%
Abstain 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 7, 2003, 21:56   #1
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 05:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Senate Bill: Protection of Foreign Workers v.2
There has been much debate on the status of foreign workers but I think we all should agree that foreign workers should be protected by the same government that has benefited from their labour. I therefore propose this bill to protect the rights of foreign workers.

Bill: No foreign worker will be put to death or made to fend for themself. The government of Apolyton will never disband these workers from employment. Foreign workers will have, in perpetuity, the employment and services of the Apolytonian government.

Foreign workers have built this glorious nation and deserve not to be left out in the cold or put to death by the same government that benefited from their hard
work.

Show your compassion for these wretches and PASS THIS BILL! VOTE YEA!

This bill has three days to pass.

Last edited by Duddha; January 7, 2003 at 22:01.
Old January 7, 2003, 22:11   #2
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:57
This poll is still illegal. You're not supposed to mix the content of the bill with your feelings on it. The wording is still unclear on what should be done of the workers in game terms, and is unpractical.
It seems this bill is a plea never to integrate slaves in our cities (depending of your interepretation of "leaving out in the cold"), or a plea to integrate all slaves now (if you intereprete it the other way around).
A firm NO to this unclear poll Completely useless game-wise
Old January 7, 2003, 22:52   #3
MJW
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:57
it does not mater because 3.0 will just have 2 posts...
Old January 7, 2003, 23:36   #4
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Local Time: 09:57
I didn't bother in the first poll, as it was obviously illegal, but if you're going to persist...

I love the fact that this bill so closely mirrors the BS that is modern politics.

"Protection of Foreign Workers" - a completely misleading title that aims to get people to agree before reading and understanding what you are proposing.

"put to death", "disband" - no one has ever suggested that we do this. The supposed contrary point of view is a complete crock.

"rights of foreign workers", "employment" - you call workers with no upkeep "employed"? Most human rights activists I know would call it slavery.

It has already been eloquently and rationally demonstrated by various intelligent, veteran members of this community that integrating foreign workers into cities will not cause any revolts and will have little, if any, economic difference than integrating nationals. There is also the added benefit that we can add twice as many foreign workers to cities as nationals while losing the same effective workforce. The reasoning is not merely roleplay to be ignored - it makes sense.

Vote common sense - Vote No!
Old January 8, 2003, 00:14   #5
MJW
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Prince

yea but 1.1% of the $ will go down the toilet for no reason.
Old January 8, 2003, 00:17   #6
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I don't support pro-slavery bills, and I must certainly don't support ambiguous bills that will end up making a mess all over the court floor. I vote no.
Old January 8, 2003, 02:21   #7
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 05:57
Amazingly
I have even voted no. It has been proven that it does not matter in the least bit which type of worker we integrate first.

And of all the people who would propose a bill protecting foreign born citizens, I would never think it to be Duddha!

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old January 8, 2003, 09:29   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 07:57
Duddha, the bill and THE BILL ONLY is in the first post.

No rhetoric or comments on your position. You say your comments in the second post. Otherwise the bill is illegal.

You need to clarify whether or not the foreign workers can be "Joined" to our cities. You are trying to prevent them from being disbanded but joined could be viewed as something else.

Third time's a charm...........
Old January 8, 2003, 09:31   #9
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 07:57
Quote:
Originally posted by dejon
"rights of foreign workers", "employment" - you call workers with no upkeep "employed"? Most human rights activists I know would call it slavery.
No, they would call them "liberty challenged".
Old January 8, 2003, 11:11   #10
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Agreed, the first post must contain a clear saying of what it does.

The editoral is for the second post.