Old January 8, 2003, 19:34   #31
lucky22
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 13:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Decent softball player, wrestled in high school with a .500 average after three years.
Civilization I, SMAC, chess, Panzer Blitz/Leader, Kingmaker, Ogre/GEV, Stalingrad, Aggravation (great for playing with kids and fam), cards, blah, blah, etc. etc.
Old January 8, 2003, 19:52   #32
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:58
I am a talentless sportsman, although I can swim quickly and have a lot of endurance with it, still not competent to do anything with it.

I am good at civ of course And...erm...playing silly buggers

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old January 8, 2003, 20:23   #33
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:58
And yes, jackasses, I've played Risk a lot over the last 10 years.

My secret is to never play the same group of people twice, because once I cream them, they will inevitably try to gang up on me in a rematch.
Old January 8, 2003, 20:28   #34
Tuberski

Local Time: 08:58
I was good at Axis and Allies and Risk, I'm a good bowler, I'm pretty good at volleyball, good at darts, decent at pool(billiards).

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old January 8, 2003, 20:32   #35
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I used to get in the 190s at ten pin bowling, but I have only played a couple of times in the last few years.
Old January 8, 2003, 20:35   #36
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

That's a great song. At least the Bob Andy cover is, I've not heard the original.

Er, I lack anything approaching a ball sense, so all ball sports are out. And I'm terminally unfit. Also, I have an intense inability to react instantly to stimuli, worse than anyone I know. Someone once brought a toy into my house at College which consisted of a number of different instructions of the "twist that cap!", "pull that lever!" type being issued at increasing speed by a speaker and the player having to perform those actions. All my corridor mates got scores ranging from 20, at the worst, to 60 and up. I got a one. In three attempts. Seriously. I suck at all sport...

The one computer game level I ever got good at was the Sweden track in Screamer Rally, where I could trash everyone.
Old January 8, 2003, 20:38   #37
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 07:58
I've always been very good at console hockey and football (American football) games.

For real sports, Baseball and Soccer were my best.
Old January 8, 2003, 20:41   #38
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
That's a great song. At least the Bob Andy cover is, I've not heard the original.

Er, I lack anything approaching a ball sense, so all ball sports are out. And I'm terminally unfit. Also, I have an intense inability to react instantly to stimuli, worse than anyone I know. Someone once brought a toy into my house at College which consisted of a number of different instructions of the "twist that cap!", "pull that lever!" type being issued at increasing speed by a speaker and the player having to perform those actions. All my corridor mates got scores ranging from 20, at the worst, to 60 and up. I got a one. In three attempts. Seriously. I suck at all sport...
Here, that is called Bop-It.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old January 8, 2003, 20:42   #39
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
I used to get in the 190s at ten pin bowling, but I have only played a couple of times in the last few years.
My highest was 299.

I actually hate to bowl, but I was pretty good at it.

ACK!
Old January 8, 2003, 20:42   #40
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Yes, that's what it was called. I didn't know it was a well-known brand.
Old January 8, 2003, 20:48   #41
Tuberski

My stepson just got one for Christmas.

ACK!
Old January 8, 2003, 20:53   #42
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

IS this a game or sport topic?
as for game you probably will not defeat me, any fighting game like street fighter or soul calibur. I suck at tekken though so dont bother challenging me in that. Problem is I don't know just how good people around me are. My friends all suck and get their arse kicked and arcade has no comp, but I got my arse kicked once when I met a player on game forum.

As for sports, I dont suck but dont rule. No one can defeat me in a game of taps. Muahahah!

I'm surprised no one has yet said "I am the best f--ker I know. Try beating me in that!"
Old January 8, 2003, 21:00   #43
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

since people began listing stats, my record that i am personally proud of is 100 meter run @ 12.0 seconds, since I never broke a 12 second wall... and whats worse was that in that race I was second to lat
Old January 8, 2003, 21:43   #44
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 09:58
Hockey: I've skated about 7-8 times in my life, and played street hockey ~20 times, but I took to ice hockey really naturally. I played on a friends (ice) hockey team at a tournament in Canada (they were short three players so they needed an extra) and I was a starter by the third game. I can steal the puck from anyone, but keeping it is a bit tricky. That's why I play defense.

I'm also pretty good at soccer.

In computer games, Civ - even when compared to members of this site. I had an 1157 AC arrival in (deity) CivII, which was fifth or sixth in the Civ community at the time. I won on CivI emperor when I was seven years old. (Yes, I've been playing highest-level civ for half my life ) I'm experimenting with OCC in CivIII.

In videogames, I can beat anyone in "Arctic Thunder." You know those record times for games in arcades? I set them quite frequently.

I am also invincible at every variant of the game with the "snake" or "worm" where you eat food and your tail gets longer and you can't run into your tail.
Old January 9, 2003, 09:17   #45
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
I haven't lost a game of Risk in nearly 10 years.
Next time I am in New York I can fix that for you.

Old January 9, 2003, 09:44   #46
Sikander
King

I was a pretty good football and soccer player when I was in shape. I can play any position in either sport competently (except goalie), though I prefer to play midfield in soccer, and linebacker or defensive line in football. I'm not big, 5'6" and 165 lbs, but I am blazing quick, strong for my size, and I have very good technique. It is very hard for an offensive line to keep me out of the backfield if I want to be there, and it is difficult for even an above average athlete to beat me when I'm playing offense and blocking. In soccer I am nearly ambidextrous, and a very tough defender. I also pass well, and have a good shot from outside. These ended up being my favorite sports to play by far, but I know that I wouldn't have been as good as I was if it weren't for wrestling in high school, and Judo in college. These sports helped my balance, timing, conditioning and flexibility immensely, and made me into a college athlete, even though I was never more than mediocre at the highest levels of competition in either one.

As for games, I love them. We played a lot of Scrabble, Monopoly and Risk when I was younger, and when I was 14 I discovered the wonderful world of wargaming with Avalon Hill's Midway. Within a year I had entered and won a tournament at the local University, playing a game that I had only seen for the first time that morning. At 16 I placed 7th out of 249 or so contestents in a two day Diplomacy tourney at Origins in Ann Arbor. I have played many different games over the years, though the games that I know that I am good at are those that I have played many times with many people, namely Risk, Monopoly, Scrabble, and Poker. I used to run a poker game in College that was popular both amongst my college friends as well as a group of middle aged guys who did nothing but work and gamble, mostly playing poker. I can win whenever I want in Las Vegas, though it often isn't worth the trouble trying to find the right game (no pros, or only one at the table). If I don't need the cash it is usually a lot more fun to find a tougher group of players and learn a thing or two.

[/end tiresome braggart mode]
Old January 9, 2003, 10:56   #47
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, Boris, I've never lost a game of Risk...

I'm mostly a racquet-sport player, capped at county level for table-tennis and at a decent club level for tennis.
Old January 9, 2003, 15:10   #48
C0ckney
King

Quote:
Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
As Man City
what are you trying to say

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old January 9, 2003, 15:17   #49
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
As for sports, I dont suck but dont rule. No one can defeat me in a game of taps. Muahahah!
you're from NY, so i'll assume that our "taps" are the same, ut i'll clarify just in case, and you can correct me if you play something different.

we have 2 teams of 2 or so people and we throw a frisbee between them. one person on the team has to tap the frisbee, and the other player has to catch it. point values for catches are assigned based on what part of the body taps the frisbee, and how many hands are used to catch the frisbee. points are taken away from teams that dont throw the frisbee "fairly" to the other team.

thats a fun game
Old January 9, 2003, 15:35   #50
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 07:58
Ice hockey -- not an elite player but played area allstars all the way up and now better than average now that I am in the "old guy" rec leagues

Smac/x-- won about 80-85 % of my multiplayer games (winning a bit less than that in current games-- again not at the level of the very top players.

Chess player-- again -- beter than average-- I play tournaments and enjoy it

Triathlon-- This is my new love (apart from Mrs Flubber of course)-- I am training to do my first ever sprint triathlon this summer-- 750 m swim , 20km bike ride, 5 km run-- If that goes ok, I hope to do an Olympic distance by the end of the summer (double the sprint distance)-- I was never a swimmer so that is causing me difficulty-- I expect to suck at this but thats no reason to give up.

Hearts-- I kick butt if I go to yahoo games but among my group it was tough to even win 30% of games-- our group was very cutthroat

babymaking-- only took one month of "trying"-- gosh darn it

Oh and for the risk players-- if its a multiplayer game, wouldn't those undefeated records go kaput if all the other players just decided to gang up on YOU from the start
Old January 9, 2003, 17:36   #51
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:58
Sports: Football and skiing. I suck in every other sports.

Games: Civ Board Game (Jon, we should give it a try once; my record is nearly as good); Computer: I kicked arse in Civ1 - well, I played it every spare minute.
Old January 9, 2003, 19:03   #52
MattyBoy
Prince

Local Time: 23:58
Quote:
My highest was 299.
I actually hate to bowl, but I was pretty good at it.
Is this true, Tube?
Old January 9, 2003, 19:39   #53
Graag
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Not sure if it qualifies, but I can stay awake longer than anyone.
Old January 9, 2003, 19:47   #54
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by MattyBoy

Is this true, Tube?
Yes, it is true.

ACK!
Old January 9, 2003, 19:50   #55
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Bowling is one of those games, despite how many times I have been, I am just absolutely crap at, even going once a week for a year I still struggled to make a century...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old January 9, 2003, 20:07   #56
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 15:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Bowling is one of those games, despite how many times I have been, I am just absolutely crap at, even going once a week for a year I still struggled to make a century...
In the first game of bowling I played I totally crushed the competition. Begginer's luck.

I was so conceted as to think I had talent and actively lobbied for a quick return to the bowling floors. Where I was promtply beaten to a pulp. Repeatedly.
Old January 9, 2003, 20:27   #57
Zero
King

soul calibur records, time attack=
http://www.namco.co.jp/home/aa/am/vg...g/rec/a14.html I'm 22nd. I guess I can still do better, but eh.

On Dreamcast Soul Calibur I, I had a survival streak of 88 Wins. But console was lot easier. so
Old January 9, 2003, 20:31   #58
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
soul calibur records, time attack=
http://www.namco.co.jp/home/aa/am/vg...g/rec/a14.html I'm 22nd. I guess I can still do better, but eh.
The #1 and #2 in that ranking are miles and miles in front of everyone else. They must be stupidly good at that game. Some people have too much time on their hands.
Old January 9, 2003, 20:36   #59
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX

you're from NY, so i'll assume that our "taps" are the same, ut i'll clarify just in case, and you can correct me if you play something different.

we have 2 teams of 2 or so people and we throw a frisbee between them. one person on the team has to tap the frisbee, and the other player has to catch it. point values for catches are assigned based on what part of the body taps the frisbee, and how many hands are used to catch the frisbee. points are taken away from teams that dont throw the frisbee "fairly" to the other team.

thats a fun game
no actually i havent heard of that game. I never bothered to think if no one knew what our version of 'taps' is. Btw I am king of ultimate frisbee, so that game sounds fun.

The taps I was talking about is you have a volleyball or a basketball and you form a circle. You catch the ball in mid air and throw it to anyone within the circle. if you land before you touch the ground you lose. It's simple, but with good players it can get real complicating. If you overthrow so that its out of someone's play, than you lose. But as long as it is within range of a person(usually determined by armlength and if the ball touches body) then other player has to keep the ball in air. i prefer to play without no low throw rule, since if you throw it real low so that it touches the toe or the knees its really hard to play. But you can jump over the ball thats coming so it adds more play.

You can punch the ball so you can pass it back real fast before player touches the grounf from the jump he made when he threw it to you. It can get real complex with real good players, and advocates good passing skills and hangtime.
Old January 9, 2003, 23:24   #60
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 05:58
I'm good at soccer (football for you limeys ) I play center midfield, am both footed, and may get recruited to play soccer in University. (they are sending someone to watch me play.)

Leading goal scorer this year for our high school team(8 goals, 8 games), Team Captain the year before, leading goal scorer for our futsal team (3 goals, 2 games, 7 games + playoofs to go)