Old January 9, 2003, 18:53   #91
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 07:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
DanS:

I never sayed they were major player, but they are a relatively rich state now, and can more then afford to defend themselves from the likes of N.Korea.

Taiwan is an island of 27 million facing the "possible" attack form a state of 1.2 Billion people. That is not a very logical comparison to make with the Korean penninsula, as the South is the one with a bigger population, industry, economy, technological expertise (outside of missile and bomb making fields.)

As for the economic consequences: US troops are not going to leave S.korean, even if there is a significant re-organization and a cut of perhaps 17,000 troops, down to 20,000. Public sentiment rarely really translates into government action in the realm of foreign affairs.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 9, 2003, 18:58   #92
Ned
King

Local Time: 05:59
DanS, If we really wanted NK to collapse, we really need to stop rescuing it. Also China has to cooperate and agree to a Western democracy and US ally on its borders. I don't think China is willing to go that far. Therefor, it will keep NK on life support until we or the SK's convince them that we are no threat to China.
Old January 9, 2003, 19:00   #93
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
DanS:

I never sayed they were major player, but they are a relatively rich state now, and can more then afford to defend themselves from the likes of N.Korea.

Taiwan is an island of 27 million facing the "possible" attack form a state of 1.2 Billion people. That is not a very logical comparison to make with the Korean penninsula, as the South is the one with a bigger population, industry, economy, technological expertise (outside of missile and bomb making fields.)

As for the economic consequences: US troops are not going to leave S.korean, even if there is a significant re-organization and a cut of perhaps 17,000 troops, down to 20,000. Public sentiment rarely really translates into government action in the realm of foreign affairs.
We will leave is the SK government asks us to leave.

Also, our withdrawal might be NK's price for ending its current nuclear weapons program.

We might agree.
Old January 9, 2003, 19:01   #94
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 09:59
" I never sayed they were major player, but they are a relatively rich state now, and can more then afford to defend themselves from the likes of N.Korea."

As stated, yes they can afford it. However, they would definitely need to spend more than the $3 billion that the US spends. Perhaps it would cost them an additional $20 billion a year.

"That is not a very logical comparison to make with the Korean penninsula"

I was only making an argument of form. IOW, pull the troops out, make a half-guarantee like we've done in Taiwan.

"ublic sentiment rarely really translates into government action in the realm of foreign affairs."

Way too cynical. Due to public pressure, the Phillipines asked us to leave recently and we obliged.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old January 9, 2003, 19:03   #95
DanS
Deity

"DanS, If we really wanted NK to collapse, we really need to stop rescuing it. Also China has to cooperate and agree to a Western democracy and US ally on its borders. I don't think China is willing to go that far. Therefor, it will keep NK on life support until we or the SK's convince them that we are no threat to China."

All good points. In my view, we should let China rescue it, if it's so valuable to them.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old January 9, 2003, 19:08   #96
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 07:59
DanS:
The US had a more checkered past in the Phillipinnes than we do in Korea. I think is more important o listen to the statments of government officials, and none of very high importance have stated that they would support a full pull-out: troop reductions and base consolidations, yes, a full withdrawl, no.
Also, we never had bases in Taiwan or significant forces.

Ned:
As far as the North has stated, what they want (besides perhaps keeping nukes as insurance) is a non-aggression pact with the US, so they US could never again threaten military action to topple Pyongyang. As for China: China does not want to see millions of North Korean refugees causing porblems in theit Northeast provinces, just like the US doesn't like waves of haitian refugees fleeing that blighted state. They will no more enocurage it to collapse than the US would have done so in 1994 against the Haitian military.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 9, 2003, 19:14   #97
DanS
Deity

"Also, we never had bases in Taiwan or significant forces."

You dingbat. I'm not saying Taiwan = SK.

" The US had a more checkered past in the Phillipinnes than we do in Korea."

Granted. But if large majority of the people want us gone, don't kid yourself. We're gone.

"none of very high importance have stated that they would support a full pull-out: troop reductions and base consolidations, yes, a full withdrawl, no."

Fair enough. Further, I'm skeptical about the depth and longevity of the more extreme viewpoints.
Old January 9, 2003, 19:18   #98
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
DanS:
The US had a more checkered past in the Phillipinnes than we do in Korea. I think is more important o listen to the statments of government officials, and none of very high importance have stated that they would support a full pull-out: troop reductions and base consolidations, yes, a full withdrawl, no.
Also, we never had bases in Taiwan or significant forces.

Ned:
As far as the North has stated, what they want (besides perhaps keeping nukes as insurance) is a non-aggression pact with the US, so they US could never again threaten military action to topple Pyongyang. As for China: China does not want to see millions of North Korean refugees causing porblems in theit Northeast provinces, just like the US doesn't like waves of haitian refugees fleeing that blighted state. They will no more enocurage it to collapse than the US would have done so in 1994 against the Haitian military.
I think the consequences of a non agression pact is a US withdrawal.

I think both NK and SK support this.
Old January 9, 2003, 20:10   #99
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 08:59
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS

" The US had a more checkered past in the Phillipinnes than we do in Korea."

Granted. But if large majority of the people want us gone, don't kid yourself. We're gone.
Tell that to Castro.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old January 9, 2003, 20:22   #100
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

An equal-size democratic government like SK is never going to be able to field as large a standing army as a totalitarian government like NK, without outside help.

And as to the original topic question... How could there even be a rational comparison? The NKs are starving, eating tree bark, have virtually no standard of living, and they are led by a totalitarian psychopath. Of *course* their better than the SKs...

Just kidding. If Russia was still communist, they would send their political prisoners to NK instead of a gulag!

If we (and SK) wanted to *really* foment unhappiness in NK, we would kidnap NKs and let them live in Seoul for a month, then send them back! All whatzisname's propoganda couldn't overcome the resulting word-of-mouth reports of what the "real world" is like.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old January 9, 2003, 20:25   #101
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
If Russia was still communist, they would send their political prisoners to NK instead of a gulag!
Would they really be that heartless and cruel?
Old January 9, 2003, 21:25   #102
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 14:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I don't think China is willing to go that far. Therefor, it will keep NK on life support until we or the SK's convince them that we are no threat to China.
How could you do this? You are a threat to everybody.

The Chinese aren´t stupid; they may not be willing to confront you right now, but they are certainly preparing for that day.

And they will easily find allies, because so many people(s) are fed up to the brim with the US hegemony.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old January 9, 2003, 21:27   #103
DinoDoc
Deity

Do you just enjoy seeing posts with your name on them or are you really delusional?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old January 9, 2003, 21:31   #104
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Do you just enjoy seeing posts with your name on them or are you really delusional?
Are you just trying to troll or are you really delusional? You don´t think the US are well-liked, do you?

Old January 9, 2003, 21:33   #105
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
Are you just trying to troll or are you really delusional?
Neither. I'm asking a serious question based on a few of the posts that you have made in this thread.
Old January 9, 2003, 21:34   #106
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Neither. I'm asking a serious question based on a few of the posts that you have made in this thread.
You should try the ones he made in the Telepathy thread in the MOO 3 Froum.

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=70431

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old January 9, 2003, 21:35   #107
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
You should try the ones he made in the Telepathy thread in the MOO 3 Froum.
We'll throw those in as well then.
Old January 9, 2003, 21:45   #108
Comrade Tribune
Prince

You didn´t answer my second question.

Old January 9, 2003, 21:51   #109
Ned
King

Hey DinoDoc, Why do you think I was proposing to embargo Austria?
Old January 9, 2003, 22:23   #110
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
If we (and SK) wanted to *really* foment unhappiness in NK, we would kidnap NKs and let them live in Seoul for a month, then send them back! All whatzisname's propoganda couldn't overcome the resulting word-of-mouth reports of what the "real world" is like.
That would be totally fair, considering that North Korea kidnapped dozens of Japanese over the past 40 years.
Old January 9, 2003, 22:57   #111
Ned
King

We could also send convicted US leftists criminals to spend their prison time in NK - without any requirement that they spend that time behind bars. Merely seeing how the average worker lives in this communist paradise would be torture for these utopian idealists.
Old January 9, 2003, 23:13   #112
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Hm, that would at least be better than putting your convicts and other trash into uniforms and sending them off to war against independent nations.

Old January 10, 2003, 00:14   #113
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
Hm, that would at least be better than putting your convicts and other trash into uniforms and sending them off to war against independent nations.
Oh, is that what happened in 1939?
Old January 10, 2003, 00:50   #114
DanS
Deity

An interesting article about Chinese diplomacy and options...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Jan9.html

I thought the "other countries" remark was aimed at Japan and Russia, but apparently not, or apparently they were not the only ones...
Old January 10, 2003, 02:02   #115
Ned
King

DanS, It does appear that China is aware that there is a likelihood that Japan, Taiwan and SK could all acquire nuclear weapons if NK does. This would shift the regional balance of power dramatically against Peking.

So what will China do when the IAEA reports to the Security Council that NK is in breach.
Old January 10, 2003, 03:53   #116
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Why not?
Because the words "revolutionary" and "puppet" don't really go together?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 10, 2003, 05:28   #117
lightblue
Warlord

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/2644593.stm

Looks like NK has withdrawn from the NPT. Makes them the worse one of the two i think
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton