Old January 8, 2003, 21:15   #1
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 14:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Any ideas on my current game?
Well...inspired by some threads here, I decided to try deity with a peacefull start

Settings: Standard/60% ocean/Continents (though I'd like most of my pangea maps looked like this/wet/warm/only huts/default rules

As I didn't know which civ would be best...I took Egypt (can't do too much wrong with them), expanded peacefully (though too slowly due to the lack of food bonus aroun my capital), built temples first in all of my cities as I wanted to keep up in culture (couldn't hope for cultural flips as babs and greeks were my neighbours). On my continent there are: Rome/Grees/Babs/Carthage/Zulus... so the research was pretty fast. The Romans have almost been destroyed by Zulus and Babs, I'm unable to mix per-turn and lump-sum deals (babs Greece declared war in Zulus, so there was no tech route) and my military is crap (one spearman per city, no horses).

The other Civs are ahead in tech (about 3-5 techs) and I'm trying to research printig press with one scientist.

What do you think...should I try to remain peacefull or build med. inf and attack greece (how many med. inf..-they'll get musketmen soon, I'm afraid) or is it better to continue developping ant to try to buy techs?

Here's the screenshot
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	egypt-70bc.gif
Views:	146
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	33482  
Old January 8, 2003, 21:32   #2
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

here's the save (ptw 1.14)
Attached Files:
File Type: sav egypt-70bc.sav (198.5 KB, 5 views)
Old January 8, 2003, 22:31   #3
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 15:00
Get rid once for all of the greeks with some support from babs and russians- they'll do the dirty work for you and their research will slow down
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 8, 2003, 23:45   #4
Charis
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:00
Limited war
Judging from the map alone, it seems you could take their three cities that are surrounded by yours and have them cough up a tech or two in tribute. Get alliances for sure, for several reasons -
- To be sure they don't get them on you
- To make them desire peace more quickly
- To divert their forces and efforts

The Greeks on deity will, if unchecked, runaway with tech. Good idea to prune them now. Besides, if you don't... your own 'border' isn't a nice short line but a interdigitated mess that begs other civs to chop off your eastern 'finger' cities.

Good luck, especially with getting back to peace after this limited campaign

Charis
Old January 9, 2003, 08:20   #5
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

I'd have to concur with the advice so far; try and get an alliance with Babylon and Russia, since they both have isolated greek towns in their midst, and make a grab for the three greek towns in your territory, which makes your whole empire more secure and shortens your hostile borders, which is always good. I'd also want to go after the Babylonian border towns and outpost soonj after that, if that is feasible (I can't look at the save, since I don't have PTW yet), maybe not now, but soon. This will reduce the number of units needed for border guard duties, since you will end up with fewer border towns.
Old January 9, 2003, 09:35   #6
cumi
Warlord

Hi,

I can also only agree with the advices above. Additionaly, I would do this way:

As the others wrote, there is an opportunity to capture those greek (when the green civ the greek civ) cities - islands. You can build a some defensive forces and fortify them on your border (especially on east with greece). Then build better offensive units and capture the cities one-by-one, beginning from west. Most probably greece will not be able to defend them, but they will attack you from east. There you can stop them with the defensive forces. When there is something remained from your offensive force, you can send them to east on the end to capture if possible more greek cities.

I would not pull the blue civ into this war, because they will capture the only greek city and nothing more. This could be bad for you, because sooner or later you have to attack nord, too. My advice: make alliance with the brown civ (the civ nord from greece) against greece, to be sure...

So, this is my usual way in situations and maps like yours. But note, I am playing only on 3 level (regent i think) of difficulty, so i have no experience in deity level, sorry. But i hope my advice help.

cheers

P.S.: keep us informed !!! send screenshots about what you did !!!

Last edited by cumi; January 9, 2003 at 10:08.
Old January 9, 2003, 09:39   #7
cumi
Warlord

continuing...

i just saw this on your map: attack the blue civ, when they clean-up the jungle above you. HEHEHE
Old January 9, 2003, 10:26   #8
Mazarin
Prince

how many units would you build...it's 70 BC...and I think Gunpowder will be developped in about 10-20 Rounds I spent all my ressources on infrastructure til now, and don't have horses..I'm weak against anyone else (except the Romans who only have one city left) and I think all my opponents have many units as they were in war quite often...at the moment the greeks and the babs fight against Zulus (black in the North) and greeks ans carthagians (brown) just made peace
Old January 9, 2003, 10:39   #9
cumi
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazarin
how many units would you build...it's 70 BC...and I think Gunpowder will be developped in about 10-20 Rounds I spent all my ressources on infrastructure til now, and don't have horses..I'm weak against anyone else (except the Romans who only have one city left) and I think all my opponents have many units as they were in war quite often...at the moment the greeks and the babs fight against Zulus (black in the North) and greeks ans carthagians (brown) just made peace
If you can buy horses (or trade for lux), you need about 10 horsmens to attack the cities one-by-one and you need about 10 defenders (spearmans or something like that) to defend the border cities (the border only with the greece). Maybe 5 defenders per border city = 5x3 =15. Just to be sure. You can put them on hills, too.

If you don't have horses take anything, that has better attacking properties. Swordsman is not bad. Without horses the invasion will take a bit longer, but not a big deal. Just see, to finish it before greece sends a horde against you. If you quickly capture those few cities, you can make peace earlier. Better for all.

You say, that you are the weakest civ. If it is true, you have to build those units, before somebody can see, how weak you are and eliminates you. I really have to say "eliminate", if you are defending your cities with only one unit. For border-cities it is DEADLY.
Old January 9, 2003, 12:45   #10
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

If the military adviser says you are weak compared to the other civs you should start building med inf now! Their high attack value will boost your apparent military strength and may deter the AI civs from attacking you.

Is there a history of conflict between the carthaginians and greeks? If so and they go to war again soon consider allying with the carthaginians a few turns after war starts (so that most of the greek units are heading towards the other end of their territory) and snatch those greek cities. Med inf and a stack of catapults should be enough.

I would also look carefully at the babylonians. If they are fighting alongside the greeks against the zulu there is a chance they will attack you if you are at war with greece. If you don't get those units built soon you will be on someone's hit list for sure
Old January 13, 2003, 14:34   #11
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

So I guess it's set- build horsemen, seize and burn!
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom