Old December 27, 2002, 13:15   #1
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 14:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
UN Resolutions Debate
As the UN delegate, I will use this thread to post UN resolutions and to debate them. I'd like as much input on them as possible.

The Current Resolution

Simple observation notes that there are several proposals on the docket to be voted on in the coming weeks. However, at the current pace, and with the certain increase in proposals in the future, the UN will soon be swamped with proposals waiting for votes. This resolution is to decrease the voting time allowed on resolutions to just two days. This amount of time will give interested nations time to debate the details, and yet still allow queued proposals to reach the UN floor in a timely manner.

Votes For: 2351

Votes Against: 724

Have voted against, because that is what the majority seemed to want on the other thread, and that is what I believe, but am willing to change if strongly opposed.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 27, 2002, 21:56   #2
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 01:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I think the Martian proposal is superior to this one; we will still have plenty of time to discuss and vote, but the proceedings will be pseeded up immensely.
Old December 28, 2002, 03:50   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:01
I voted for. Although our regional delegate voted against. Oh well.
Old December 28, 2002, 08:33   #4
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

I agree with GT, the Martian proposal is much better, as is an amendment I believe is coming up shortening it to 3 days. However, 2 days is siomply not enough for discussion IMHO.

Old December 28, 2002, 10:24   #5
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 15:01
I voted against, hoping that the 3 day waiting time will be implemented.

I have a question: how do proposals get approved to become resolutoin? I assume only the UN delegate can do that? Each proposal needs 50 aprovals to become a resolution.
Old December 28, 2002, 10:51   #6
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

I was right. Only delegates can approve proposals. IT needs a total of 58.

To our UN Delegate Drogue: Have you apporved any resently? I think Apolytons should take a more active roll in suggesting to the Delegate which resoutions they feel are worthy. I myself have looked through about 40 and found the following worthy of the Apolyton nations:

Evening the Playing field
Cultural Exchange Bureau
Banishment of Tax shelters
Abortion a nations choice
Region Army
International Criminal Court
Old December 28, 2002, 10:53   #7
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

I voted against, as 2 days is just a too short time.
3 days might be good, I will vote for at the Martian Amendement

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old December 29, 2002, 11:34   #8
Drogue
staff

I have approved the Martian resolution, one on randomising starting regions, and to end slavery. As it stands, I was without a connection for much of the weekend, and so haven't had a proper chance to look through the resolutions. If anyone has any they wish to suggest I look, please do, and I will, and I will look through myself in the next day or two and then possibly poll (of we have our own forum, and so can post new threads) for which ones you wish me to support.

Edit: I'm sorry, but since I am no longer UN Delegate (is this a technical glitch, or did 5 people remove thier support for me almost simultaniously?) I cannot do what I had proposed. If I am reinstated, I shall endeavor to check through all the UN resolutions proposed and endorse all that seem appropriate, and all that the majority would like me to (except for ones promoting war, I will not put my name to any proposal that promotes war).

Last edited by Drogue; December 29, 2002 at 17:44.
Old December 29, 2002, 20:36   #9
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

wtf? Seems I've now been appointed UN Regional Delegate. Oh well, probably won't change very much, since I have a similar attitude to Drogue here...
Old December 30, 2002, 21:30   #10
Drogue
staff

Long post

Since I'm now back as UN Delegate, I want peoples input on what reolutions I should support. I have looked at some of the resolutions, and here is a selection. Please tell me which ones I should support, and your reasons for it.

Resolutions (Number of supporters after resolution)
A new drug:
A resolution to ban, legalize, or encourage recreational drugs.
MG has all the effects of dope except the addictivness and harmfull side effects.

Disarming Terrorists:
A resolution to slash worldwide military spending.
The UN Axis of Evil campaign has been a great success, eliminating the support structures that terrorists have used against the world.
I propose that we destroy the majority of weapons created for that campaign to prevent terrorists from easily obtaining new weapons from poor nations. 2

Free Nuclear Proliferation:
A resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce.
That nuclear technology, especially in the field of nuclear bombs and other weapons of mass destruction, shall be disseminated to all nationstates. This assures the security for all, since the usage by any one state will guarantee mutual annihilation. 1

Tree Planting Initiative:
A resolution to increase the quality of the world's environment through planting trees. 7

Mulitple Proposals in UN:
Multiple proposals to be voted on should be allowed at the United Nations. Far better then shortening the debate time allowed for each one. 6

Legalise Drugs:
I propose that drug laws should be re-thought, i'm not saying everyone has to completely eradicate drug laws but decrimilization of some, less harmfull drugs such as marajuana. 2

Inter-Species Marriage:
Does a person have the right to marry out side of his/her own species? 1

Subsistence Security
The resolution stipulates that all citizens of the UN nations be provided with 24 ounces of vegetable or fruit product and 1 quart of clean, pure water, per day. Each member nation is allowed to decide what fruits and/or vegetables will be provided to its citizens. 2

Worldwide Minimum Wage
In this highly civilized world, people are still being forced to work for little or no money by their employers. We must act quickly to raise the income bar. 4

And finally a controversial one:
Abolition of Religion:
Religion has stood in our way long enough. This resolution will prohibit the teachings of religion and theology outside the history classroom; any person or persons attempting to indoctrinate the young the world with religious nonsense will be punished severely.
No longer will scientific progress be slowed by arrogant, ignorant and thoroughly evil religious preachers. The truth of our origins, of our future and of our purpose will no longer be hidden from us by those who seek power through religious indoctrination of the weak-minded population.
The abolition of religion will usher in a scientific golden age and benefit mankind for millenia to come. 2
End of Resolutions

More to come later, if people like the idea. This is just for approving resolutions to be heard, not for the actual vote in approved ones. As always, if you want me to look at any, please either post here, PM me, or send me a telegram, with the url or page number for it. Thanks for the input.

I have posted on technical forums about the disappearing endorsements, as I think its happening again (It says I have 3, but 5 pending approval, have a look at Akiria for latest figures). When I receive a reply, I'll post it here.

Last edited by Drogue; January 5, 2003 at 11:49.
Old December 30, 2002, 22:41   #11
reismark
NationStatesApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:01
Drug control and marriage policy are duties best left to individual nations. The UN would be overstepping its boundaries in any attempt to interfere with individual nations' laws.

While the proliferation of nuclear knowledge is a good idea in theory, there are too many nations we fear would use it to their own ends without thought to the consequences. The Commonwealth cannot support such a proposal in good faith.

There is no logical reason for any nation to oppose a tree planting initiative.

It is only obvious that the UN consider multiple proposals simulatenously. There is more than enough time available for it.

Subsistience security is definitely a good idea in theory, and we encourage Akiria to support it, but there are details that need to be considered: Where would the money come from for such an initiative? Who would be responsible for ensuring that the details of the initiative are carried through - individual nations or a committee of nations?

The establishment of a worldwide minimum wage, on the other hand, is only practical.

We strongly encourage our UN Delegate to not only oppose the proposal that would abolish religion but also to be extremely vocal in doing so. The right to believe is sacrosant to individuals and no international body of any sort should be allowed to tamper with it. The approval of such a proposal would force the Commonwealth to end its involvement with the UN, as it goes directly against what the leaders of this nation strive for.
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old December 30, 2002, 23:02   #12
Drogue
staff

I do disagree with the Ban on Religion as it is there. I think teaching it is a good thing, and freedom of belief is very important. However, I feel it is important to have it debated and tabled, to see the support for it. If it is voted upon, I will vote against, but i think it should be discussed and voted upon, so would like to help it become tabled. Akiria believes that religion should never be forced on a person, and as such would support a ban on religion in government, if it is not strongly opposed by other Apolyton nations.

Old December 30, 2002, 23:10   #13
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

The Republic of Centralis will not support a 'Ban on Religion' per se, as this would be an intolerable infringement on freedom of thought, but will strongly support a resolution calling for a ban on religion in government and forbidding that religion be taught in school as anything other than a belief system (i.e. no teching of creationism in science classes).
Old December 30, 2002, 23:49   #14
reismark
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
I do disagree with the Ban on Religion as it is there. I think teaching it is a good thing, and freedom of belief is very important. However, I feel it is important to have it debated and tabled, to see the support for it. If it is voted upon, I will vote against, but i think it should be discussed and voted upon, so would like to help it become tabled. Akiria believes that religion should never be forced on a person, and as such would support a ban on religion in government, if it is not strongly opposed by other Apolyton nations.
I would highly suggest then, that you rally support against the current resolution as it stands, for as you stated yourself, it is unacceptable in its current form. The Commonwealth will compose a revised proposal of the form suggested by yourself and Centralis, which you can then support in the current proposal's place.
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old December 30, 2002, 23:58   #15
Drogue
staff

I will not support it, when it comes to a vote, however I feel it should be debated. Is there an objection with me adding my support to debating it, and then voting against it? If there is I will not, however I feel discussion is important, and feel it will be voted down.

Old December 31, 2002, 01:04   #16
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 09:01
Disarming Terrorists: No. My nation is a major weapons supplier apparently.

Free Nuclear Proliferation:: Yes, as my nation is capitalist.

Tree Planting Initiative: Yes. Tree cutting is another major industry.

Legalise Drugs: Why not. My nation has already.

Inter-Species Marriage: I don't see a downside here.

Subsistence Security: Nah. Communism is Kassinism.

Worldwide Minimum Wage: Again Communism = Kassinism.

Abolition of Religion: I have a religious word on my flag, but why the hell not.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old December 31, 2002, 01:42   #17
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Zoran supports:
Disarming Terrorists:
Subsistence Security

wtf is the one about interspecies marriage? can we please find something more worthwhile to vote on?
Old December 31, 2002, 10:39   #18
aahz_capone
Prince

NEW RESOLUTION!!!

Random assigning of Nations
A resolution to increase democratic freedoms.

Category: The Furtherment of Democracy Strength: Significant Proposed by: Maltolira
Description: I propose that new nations be randomly assigned to existing regions, and that there be a limit placed on the number of regions allowed in the game. As it stands, the Pacific has far and away the highest number of nations in it. I feel that instead of sending all new nations straight to the Pacific, they are each assigned randomly to other regions. I don't believe nations must stay in regions they don't feel their policies are aligned with, but at least some of the smaller regions will see some growth!

Lord Chancellor A. Capone has voted FOR this resolution, however is open to discussin and may change his stance.
Old December 31, 2002, 10:45   #19
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I have to say I'm against this. I'd rather have only people from Apolyton, or at least open to the idea of going to Apolyton, or at least post Apolytonish spam be in the Apolyton group.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old December 31, 2002, 11:57   #20
reismark
Emperor

I don't see the point of this proposal considering that it's already been implemented to a certain extent (new nations are no longer placed in the Pacific, but in a nameless region which can't designate a UN Delegate).
Old December 31, 2002, 13:04   #21
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Zoran will not vote in favor of this resolution but fears it will pass anyways because the UN is composed of so many "yes" men.
Old December 31, 2002, 15:04   #22
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:01
I'm not a communist

A new drug:
Drug policy should be left for each nation to decide.

Disarming Terrorists:
No opinion on this.

Where the heck did this come from?! No, absolutely not. I oppose.

Legalise Drugs:
Read my opinion to #1

Inter-Species Marriage:
Should be left for each nation to decide on their own.

Subsistence Security
Meh. Screw starvation. I oppose. The world has too much people anyway.

Worldwide Minimum Wage
Not UN's business, I oppose.

Abolition of Religion:
My opinion is totally opposite. Religion should not be teached in school as a subject in itself, like lower grades in Finnish schools do. Not even for children that belong to the church. Religion is none of the school's business. Teaching doctrines for historical/psychological/philosophical/ etc. reasons is acceptable. And it's none of my business what other people believe to, if it doesn't involve me.
In other words, I oppose.

Random assigning of Nations:
None of UN's business, I oppose. If people want to head to a new region in the Pacific, they can do so. If the nation is left to it's own devices as soon as it's created, it'll stay on the Pacific and be hidden in the mass instead of lingering in some other region.
Old January 1, 2003, 23:04   #23
aahz_capone
Prince

Has the UN delegate voted for the new res yet?
Old January 2, 2003, 03:40   #24
H Tower

not as of 20 minutes ago
Old January 2, 2003, 07:39   #25
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

A new drug:
Drug policies should be left to each individual state, the Kingdom of Wine oppose this resolution

Disarming Terrorists:
The Kingdom of Wine have no opinion on this.

This will lead to world wide destruction, NO, the Kingdom of Wine strongly oppose this resolution

YES, very good resultion

This will speed up the UN, YES

Legalise Drugs:
Once again, drug policies should be left to each nation to decide.

Inter-Species Marriage:
Do not care

Subsistence Security
The Social Welfare programs of the Kingdom of Wine are well superior of this resolution, however, we do support this as it will provide good social welfare programs also to other nations.

Worldwide Minimum Wage
We support this as well.

Abolition of Religion:
NO NO NO, the Kingdom of Wine supports every religious group in between its realm, and the abolition of religion would be like supporting only the "atheist".
Also since religion is a big part of the Wine cultural and artistic achievement, the abolition of religion will lead to a total ignorance of our population our own artist achievements (i.e. like the famous statue of the David of the great Winelangelo, the people would not know who he was if they don't study religion).

Random assigning of Nations:
If a nation wants to move, it can move, stupid resolution, do not support this

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Last edited by Giovanni Wine; January 2, 2003 at 13:44.
Old January 2, 2003, 09:13   #26
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone
Has the UN delegate voted for the new res yet?
Not yet. I would like to vote for, however there has been some opinions voiced against. I agree with Apoc, that I do not wish people in Apolyton unless they wish to be hear, yet at the same time if they are put into one region it would make it too powerful. If that region has no delegate, as has been suggested, then I would be fine with it, and would vote against. What do people want me to do? I will be voting tonight (GMT, about 7 hours time) and would like input beforehand if possible.

Old January 2, 2003, 09:22   #27
Drogue
staff

I have two new proposals that I been asked to endorse. Please give me a or a to each to indicate your opinions, and give reasons if you wish.

Quote:
International Labour Standards
A resolution to increase democratic freedoms.

The United Nations will implement the following International Labour Standards to guarantee fundamental freedoms and human rights:

1. Every employee shall have the right to form and join a trade union, and bargain collectively;
2. Every employee shall have the right to equal pay, for work of equal value, regardless of gender, race, sexuality, or trade union membership;
3. Every employee shall have the right to freedom from forced or compulsory labour; and
4. Every employer shall have the right to form an employer association, to promote their interests.
I am unsure about this. I garee with the points 2 and 3, however points 1 and 4 stink of cartels to me. I do not wish to see workers underpaid, however I do not wish to see wages held unnaturally high, and as such creating a struggling economy, and job cuts in the longer term. I do not think unions/cartels are a good thing for anyone, even the workers/employers involved, but I am all for a fair, equal and decent wage for workers.

Quote:
Universal Ban Of Pop Singers
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.
I propose to make it illegal to be a pop singer. This will stop so many talentless morons from being super rich, it will also get rid of all those damned Pop Idol and Pop Stars etc. programs, allowing better TV to be shown.

Anyone caught being a popstar will find themselves floating in a canal. Well, actually, 4 canals, and not floating, as lead doesn't do much for buoyancy.
While I find it a bit drastic, I wholeheartedly concur with th sentiment, that we have a right not to listen to mindless crap

Found it!

Kevin's Law
Quote:
Kevin's Law is designed to have police and paramedics response increased ten fold. I have designed this proposal because a little boy named Kevin was playing catch in his driveway. He missed a grounder and ran into the road to get it. A car hit Kevin and he was dead instantly. The car was never caught because the police could not get to the place of the hit and run fast enough. There is a murderer in this world that couldve been caught but wasnt due to slow police time. I propose if the police dont get to the accident in less then 5 minutes they are fired on the spot and new police are hired.
As we feel it is too drastic, Akiria will not support this bill, unless it is strongly supported by other members of Apolyton.

Last edited by Drogue; January 5, 2003 at 11:54.
Old January 2, 2003, 09:25   #28
Drogue
staff

Posted on Apolyton region page:
Quote:
As some of you know, the endorsements for UN Delegate are playing up, and as such, an endorsement only seems to last for 2 days, until it disappears. As such, if you wish for me to stay as UN delegate, could you re-endorse me if you notice your endorsement has worn off. Please do not feel compelled to, but I thought you should all know about the current problem. Also, each person that endorses me means I get an extra vote, which I will use for the best of the region, as I am advised on Apolyton forums. Therefore, even as Un delegate, if you endorse me, Apolyton regions gets more votes, sicne you do not lose yours in any way.

Old January 2, 2003, 12:01   #29
aahz_capone
Prince

Int labour standards: yes, 1 and 4 do stink of cartels. I myself don't like unions because they tend to forget that thier primary concern is working conditions and not grubbing for money. However, an employer's association would offset the union's power, creating a balance.

I would be prepared to support this.

About the pop singers, I say nay, as I still like looking at britney spears videos (however I put the TV on mute).
Old January 2, 2003, 12:19   #30
Apocalypse
Emperor

There are many other places you can pictures/videos of girls like Brittney.

Might as well ban the pop singers.