Old December 16, 2000, 03:07   #1
Jule
Settler

Local Time: 04:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SMAC, Morgan, Starting
Ok, Im asking for advice. Morgan, planet map, thinker/iron, can you survive? Tell me how.

Parameters. I bought the game again two days ago for the second time, but I bought it when it came out and my computer (then) wouldnt run it fast enough, then I lost the damn thing. Anyway, played two games with Spartan on Planet on Librarian, and kicked butt, I built in one game, then attacked and really was mean in the second (no, didnt complete them, but my power graph was in another hemisphere than the AI, so why bother). Moved up to thinker/iron and Ive tried about 12 morgans and get whomped. I want to try the Builder types but Im always next to 1 or 2 folks, and thats as it should be. Cuz Huge maps are too builder friendly and it wont let a momentum player attack. (ive read the boards for the terms). So how to handle this? Ive really really screwed myself by making any move to a new governement type. Riots with 3 people. Geez. Im thinking build units even if it hurts and then give the AI whatever it wants, but then Ive just got alot of green units that wont even stop a worm. So, I need help.
Old December 16, 2000, 04:25   #2
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:57
Local Date: October 30, 2010

Jule:

You've gotta read Vel's Strategy guide - you can download it from:

http://clik.to/sparta

I'll also find and bump the Morgan strategy thread form the older files.

Googlie
Old December 17, 2000, 06:57   #3
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Jule,

Definitely read vel's guide.

In a word power through meekness for Morgan. COncentrate on Building facilities not units and don't be afraid to use the energy for rush build thats what it is there for.

Morgan lives for trade. Units are not his strength. In fact about the only unit that is his strength is the probe team b/c it allows him to use his energy.

If played correctly Morgan can be a juggernaut. BUt you need to always be aware of Morgan's limitations.

Enigma laid out a very good working plan for Morgan that goes something like this. Turn 1 set research goal to Biogenetics. Set bases to work on something expensive. FOund new colony in turn 2104 or so with second pod set base to work on soemething expensive. Upon discovery of Biogenetics switch productions to Recycle tanks and rush buy in both bases, Now begin colony pod builds.

That first sequence of events sets Morgan up nicely for swift expansion.

The next phase is the standard stuff ie. Centauri Ecology and then beeline to Industrial Auto. Your point about inability to run bases with 3 or more population comes from running FM (my guess). Get use dto it, you'll need to specialize a citizen to a doctor until such time as you can rush build a rec commons. (Social Psych as a pre-req tech)

Energy is what drives the game and Morgan is the KING of energy (although some maintain Sven is just as well set up being a sea faction). Morgan however is kind of an art form to get used to. Kind of like driving a Porsche vs. an SUV.

Old December 17, 2000, 12:16   #4
Drago Sinio
Prince

Yes, Vels guide is a must read.

I have had some success by always giving in to whatever demands the AI makes, until I get the Cyborg Factory SP built. That is the only way I have ever been able to conquer with Morgan.

With Command Center, Bioenhancement Center, and a nearby monolith, you can build a basic unit with "trained" special ability, and get a morale upgrade from the monolith. Then upgrade to a best weapon unit. This will give you a reasonably high morale/ very high tech military force. As long as you also have a tech advantage for better weapons/armor, your forces would be a match for anyone.
But only AFTER you get bioenhancement centers/Cyborg factory and a tech lead. Before that, dont even bother. Just give the AI WHATEVER it asks for while you build up.
Old December 17, 2000, 17:40   #5
Vultures Row
Settler

Well the old saying is diamonds are a girl's best friend. Well probes are Morgan's best friend. Make extensive use of probes. If you are playing Morgan correctly, you will have the cash to do some heavy probe ops. Probes are an integral part of my tactics when I use Morgan.

Chris
Old December 18, 2000, 03:31   #6
WhiteElephants
King

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: October 30, 2010
My two cents, I second (or third) reading Vel's strategy guide and second the idea of giving into the AI's early demands. Give them the credits they demand and tech if they are close to you. If they are half the world away forget about them.

There is already a lot of good advice here so I'll contribute this tid bit. Since Morgan already gets +1 to his econ you should really consider getting to Industrial Automation for the crawlers and to run Wealth which gives Morgan the covetted +2 econ without the loose of police or planet rating that you would get running Free Market.

Oh, and if defense is your problem consider building sensors or researching secrets of the human brain to get that +50% from the trance special ability against mindworms, though the synthmetal units you start with should keep you covered for a while against conventional combat.
Old December 19, 2000, 01:55   #7
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Midgame (Morgan the conqueror),

Se choices of Police/green/wealth allow a nice mid game conquering mode for Morgan.

Police +2 (+3! with Ascetic Virtues) - allows quelling of up to 6 citizens with 3 nonlethal units (9 with Ascetic Virtues!) before you even need consider a rec commons for those conquered bases.
Support +1 - 3 supported units for conquering
Planet +2 - for worm warfare
Econ +2 - for +1 energy per square (Unit upgrades)

Morale -2 - Bummer but you will have the latest and greatest technology and/or worms at your disposal. With command centers and bioenahncement its not a big deal anyway.
Growth -2 - Not really an issue at this point as your growth is via conquest not internal base growth.

Just one of a number of ways to make Morgan the builder into a warring faction. Some prefer waiting until advent of clean and punishment spheres whilst remaining in Demo/FM/Wealth. This appraoch tho' generally allows you to go to war earlier than p-spheres and clean albeit at a cost of energy (no FM and less efficiency) and gives you options for your newly aquired (through a hostile takeover no less ) bases.
[This message has been edited by Ogie Oglethorpe (edited December 18, 2000).]
Old December 20, 2000, 02:49   #8
Jule
Settler

Thanks for all your replies. Im doing well enough now to survive. Ive read through alot of posts, and it seems to me, the advice assumes a big map. I just wont do that anymore, mostly from playing Civ 2, just clicking away. I feel every decision here is life or death. And I never get near any of those great named land features. and when I did, I over built and got whomped.