Old December 20, 2000, 16:44   #1
tomdy2k
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
is the game fun and challenging?
hi

i've played civ2 and love it. asked users about the fun and challenge of call to power 2. can't get a straight answer about the AI or fun factor. So how do you guys rate the fun factor and ai of alpha centauri? i like to pretend my computer opponents are real and i've heard that on ctp2 they are pretty generic.

tom
Old December 20, 2000, 16:59   #2
WhiteElephants
King

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The game itself is far more complex than CivII and, I think, because of this the AI has a difficult time competing against human players. After I wore out single player mode I switched to PBEM games which have captivated me for quite some time now. I know there are several players who have played much longer than I and still play today. I have lost interest in single player games, but remain engrossed in multi player Play By E-Mail games.
Old December 20, 2000, 17:13   #3
cbn
Prince

Local Time: 01:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010

I also came over from CIV 2 and I like this game much better because of the added complexity. Each factions powers and weakness are so different that different playstyles are appropriate. I would also mention the design workshop to make your own military and the social engineering choices.

I agree with WE that the added complexity means that the AI has difficulties coping with human ingenuity. I'm not at the same stage as WE in that single player games still attract me-- I have instead begun to self handicap the games. If you look through some of the other threads you will see that there are similar challenges and handicaps mentioned to the types of things players do in CIV. The added complexity simply adds more types of possible handicaps

Like Civ2, you will after a time get to the point that you pretty much know beforehand that you will win your single player games (playing without handicaps). But I find that there are so many ways to make the game a challenge that there is no reason that the playability cannot continue for some time.

I do plan to join multiplayer at some time. That will be great fun
Old December 20, 2000, 18:12   #4
Purple
Prince

As a Civ I and Civ II veteran, I can wholeheartedly recommend SMAC/X (especially with the X add-in). I bought SMAC when it was released and still find single-player mode fun. The addition of the Alien Crossfire factions and new techs and Special Projects (Wonders in Civ) add even more variety, as do the numerous original factions created by players and available for download here.

I should add that I also bought C:CTP when it was released, but quickly became bored with it. I also downloaded many of the "fixes" for it, but they didn't add enough interest or playability to continue, so I removed it from my hard drive. In fairness, though, there are many C:CTP players who like the game, but I'm not one of them.

In short, I'd gladly pay full price for SMAC/X again if somehow my original disks were destroyed. It's more than
worth it.
Old December 20, 2000, 20:36   #5
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 21:57
Yeah. What they said.

I hope that I won't put too many CTP fan's noses out of joint when I say that it really strikes me as a dumbed-down version of Civ2 and perhaps the weakest concept in all of the Civ style games. The fact that the original was released in the shameful state of not-completion that it was only increases my distain for the game.

There. Got my obligitory CTP trashing out of the way.

SMAC is far superior to even Civ2 in any number of ways. One thing that I could add to the folks above me is how much more real the faction leaders are than the Civ2 heads of state. They have distinct personality traits. This comes across in quotes from them including voice-overs and "parts" in the short movies that follow the completion of a wonder (Secret Project in SMAC)

I only have a couple of cautions for you. One is that while you don't have to be a science fiction fan to like the game, it really helps. I do know a small number of people who have gone back to Civ II because they hate SF.

The other issue is the bugs. As an enormously complex game it was inevitable that bugs would happen. Unfortunately, it seems like one of the games biggest backers left Firaxis to form BHG. This means that it is unlikely that outstanding problems will ever be resolved. Your best bet is to get the package that includes both SMAC and SMACX and install the latest patch. It still won't run perfectly, but even so, it is a game worth having.
Old December 20, 2000, 23:06   #6
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

quote:

So how do you guys rate the fun factor and ai of alpha centauri?

To answer your direct questions:
1) The game doesn't really try to be fun, but it can be. I'd say dropping a PB on Yang's command center with every SP you could ask for is fun Better than CIV2.
2) The AI isn't overly good, but it can be suprising. It's erratic - sometimes a challenge, sometimes just plain easy. It handles diplomacy fairly well - it knows when and when not to demand tribute. Better than CIV2, considering the more complex engine.

------------------
The Year 2000 - dawn of the Cheery O's