Old December 19, 2000, 12:21   #1
overcome
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Endangered Base Square???
When browsing a base square in the lower left panel, what does the word "Endangered" mean?? My best guess, is that this particular square is vulnerable to ecological damage. In my current game, my eco damage indicator for cities is as high as 15, but I have a
+6 planet in social engineering. Am I close to the right answer. Any help is appreciated.

Old December 19, 2000, 12:35   #2
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:57
Local Date: October 30, 2010

Is about to be submerged by an ocean levels rise (note that it doesn't have to be a coastal square - it can also be a low lying inland square)

G.
Old December 19, 2000, 16:44   #3
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:57

I don't know how many others keep a log when playing, but it's often important to remember when the "In 20 years the ocean level will rise by 333 feet" day arrives.

Nothing worse than having your former one turn away from raising the coastal tile than the crew's looking out of the window to see the encroaching ocean and realizing that, no, formers can't float.

G glie

[This message has been edited by Googlie (edited December 19, 2000).]
Old December 19, 2000, 16:51   #4
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

There is a map available here for download which is entirely water - it makes for quite an interesting game.

Ok, if you keep raising/lowering land, where are you getting/putting all that earth?
Old December 19, 2000, 21:37   #5
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 17:57
quote:

Originally posted by Chowlett on 12-19-2000 03:51 PM
There is a map available here for download which is entirely water - it makes for quite an interesting game.

Ok, if you keep raising/lowering land, where are you getting/putting all that earth?

Boreholes

Old December 20, 2000, 01:01   #6
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Overcome,

You have but two, no make that three choices. A local fix by taking formers and raising land or...

Go to the council and get the other faction to vote in favor of planetary shades (resulting in global cooling and ocean level drops)

or...

Ignore the ocean rises and prepare to be soggy. Prepare your base sites from being submerged by building pressure domes.

Og

PS. Your nom de plum is kind of appropriate as you may be "overcome" by sea level rises. Groan ....

PSS. Sea level rises normally happen due to global eco damge either by yourself, by another faction or combination of the two. If you hate sea level rises and the damage it causes to your expensively terraformed land sinking beneath the waves you may need to curtail some mineral production. The good news is that energy production is largely free of the pollution effects. (T-forming eco damge is the only component to worry about and this becomes a non issue once you build Hybrid farms)

[This message has been edited by Ogie Oglethorpe (edited December 19, 2000).]
Old December 20, 2000, 01:18   #7
Horus
Warlord

Anyone who have dried all of the planet, or soaked it totally? Just curious.
[This message has been edited by Horus (edited December 19, 2000).]
Old December 21, 2000, 12:00   #8
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 23:57
Horus -
Someone tried this, it lookes like the sea stops rising after a while (should I put a or a ?)

------------------
The Year 2000 - dawn of the Cheery O's
[This message has been edited by SMACed (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old December 21, 2000, 12:24   #9
cbn
Prince

Local Time: 01:27
I bumped up a thread I initiated a couple of months ago on the sea level rising issue. From it I understand that an endangered square might not only affect that square but have a much wider effect so watch out.