Old January 10, 2003, 19:05   #1
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Do New Factions Get Introduced?
Thinking about games of Civ 2, I recall if you destroyed one nation, another one could pop up... I guess that's replaced by the leader of a faction sometimes escaping if you destroy them early enough, but what about when you capture the capital of another faction, is there a chance that "civil war" will split the faction in half like what happens in Civ 2?
Old January 10, 2003, 19:18   #2
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 08:08
There is an option for restarting factions. basically you can choose that if a faction gets eradicated it repawns somwhere else. I usually play with that off but that leads to another feature. If a faction is eradicated, their leader is captured by the faction that takes their last base. Any other faction can attempt to probe the capitol of the conqueror to free the captured leader. If this action is successful, the faction starts over in some unoccupied corner and is eternally grateful (submissive) to you. I have never actually done this but understand that it does work.

I have never seen a new faction enter the game but it was pertty funny in CIV 2 when talking an enemy capitol could cause it to split into 2 rival factions
Old January 10, 2003, 19:42   #3
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:08
The way the descriptions of the SMACX factions are written it sounds like they're meant obe introduced later, like the Consciousness being an offshoot of the university, and the Drones being an off-shoot of, well, any unhappy people. Seems a waste...
Old January 10, 2003, 20:51   #4
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You think that's silly? You should have been there the time the Drones said to me, "So, President Clinton, I see you've been in contact with our old colleague Conqueror Marr" (emphasis added).