Old January 11, 2003, 20:17   #31
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 08:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
HazieDaVampire:

Those "holes in the feet" are usually something that happens with people who don't do a good job of controlling their diabetes and/or have had it for years w/o realizing it. Furthermore, such damage is generally preceded by neuropathy, which is when the nerves in your feet and legs become less sensitive, thus allowing injuries to escape undetected (because you can't feel them!).

Chegitz:

The only problem with root beer is that it's heavy in sodium. I didn't realize just how heavy until I bought a 12-pack of Diet A&W Root Beer — only to realize, after tasting it, that each can contains 100 milligrams of sodium (basically, 1/24 of your daily intake). Anyway, that's a lot for a can of soda. Right now I'm finishing off the root beer and am trying that Diet Rite soda, which is sugar- and sodium-free. Not bad so far ... Kiwi Strawberry.

Calc II:

A lot of cereal is beginning to be fortified with B12 vitamin. I also think it can be found to a degree in fruits and vegetables.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old January 11, 2003, 20:19   #32
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Hmm ... actually, the Diet Rite soda is caffeine free as well.

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old January 12, 2003, 00:34   #33
devilmunchkin
Warlord

Local Time: 14:09
lol...my feet are fine! lol. and no, i'm not anorexic by any means.
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old January 12, 2003, 11:38   #34
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Graag
It's been so bad for me I've had two tests for diabetes (which is quite likely as my dad, granddad and uncle all have diabetes) and my thyroid gland tested (all negative). And I passionately hate going to the doctor or dentist. In fact those two visits were the only two times I've been in the past 4/5 years (except when I got a really bad fever in asia).
Check your growth hormone. Excessive amount of it makes you tired.
Old January 12, 2003, 12:20   #35
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 15:09
Quote:
Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
Diabetes, that somtimes causes you to be tired!
Always check the bottoms of your feet! If you notice anything strange its Diabetes, people with diabetes who don't even know about it often discover holes in the bottoms of their feet, and its goes down to the bone too!
Funny you should mention that, because I've got holes in my feet, and the palms of both hands. There's also some kind of lesion in my side too. They tend to weep a bit, but it's no big deal.
Old January 12, 2003, 13:29   #36
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:09
If she was recently treated for a UTI the dipstick test would have picked up sugar in the urine if her blood sugar was high enough to cause her to become dehyrated, the usual cause of tiredness in diabetics. Excessive sugar in the urine osmotically drags excess solutes and water with it. She could still be diabetic without having sugar in the urine, but if the blood level of sugar was not high enough to spill into the urine hypersomnia would be unusual. In women DMs age anemia can often be a problem if they loose more iron during their menses than they can replace, but that usually leads to easy fatiguability more than hypersomnia.

How about drugs and/or alcohol? Both of those can do it. Remember that women metabolize alcohol less rapidly than men, in fact men have an enzyme in their stomachs that actually reduces the amount of alcohol available for absorption. Being relatively small too DM would tolerate perhaps half the alcohol of a typical male her age, but it's possible.

Then again, there's also depression. Hypersomnia is a symptom of atypical depression.
Old January 12, 2003, 13:34   #37
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

Funny you should mention that, because I've got holes in my feet, and the palms of both hands. There's also some kind of lesion in my side too. They tend to weep a bit, but it's no big deal.
Anyone who advocates the ritual slaughter of infants like you (I remember!) can't possibly have those stigmata. You're more like Herod.
Old January 12, 2003, 19:29   #38
devilmunchkin
Warlord

well....you've hit the menses thing on the head (wow, i can't believe i just typed that.)...though that's over now and i'm actually feeling better and less tired. I also have not been drinking alcohol or taking drugs other than those prescribed to me (zoloft, the antibiotic taquin, and birth control).
how's this though..i sometimes have insomnia..two summers ago i didn't really sleep for two weeks..i took a few cat naps here and there, but on the whole i was unable to sleep. so..maybe it is chronic depression..but i've gotten so used to feeling like crap inside that it shows through physical ways?
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old January 12, 2003, 20:14   #39
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Quote:
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
well....you've hit the menses thing on the head (wow, i can't believe i just typed that.)...though that's over now and i'm actually feeling better and less tired. I also have not been drinking alcohol or taking drugs other than those prescribed to me (zoloft, the antibiotic taquin, and birth control).
how's this though..i sometimes have insomnia..two summers ago i didn't really sleep for two weeks..i took a few cat naps here and there, but on the whole i was unable to sleep. so..maybe it is chronic depression..but i've gotten so used to feeling like crap inside that it shows through physical ways?
If you are depressed it can show itself in various ways in your body. Itīs called psychosomatic disease and is rather common among those suffering from depression. Since the disease is in the mind and not the body, the only way to get rid of the disease is by taking drugs that surpress the depression and/or see a shrink or a psychotherapist.

Quite a few of my former gfīs had some kind of depression or other and it showed itself in number of ways physically. Headaches, trouble sleeping, loss of appetite even skin rashes.

But you really should see a doctor, maybe itīs just lack of vitamins. Maybe itīs something more serious like chronic depression or maybe youīre burnt out. A lot of people just...shut down due to stress in the workplace and pressure of living up to everyones expectations in the social life.

One of my party comrades got burned out like 2 years ago. One day he couldnīt get out of bed. And I mean he physically couldnīt. His energy was spent to such an extent that he couldnīt muster enough to even stand up for longer period than to the bathroom and back. This went on for 3 days, then his wife drove him to the psychiatric clinic and he got the diagnosis of burned out. Heīs recovering now, but itīs a long way back. Itīs taken him two years to pick up the pieces of himself, and thereīs still quite few missing...

What Iīm trying to say is that even if youīre in a very deep hole, you can always dig your way out. Support from friends and family, mood-stabilizing drugs and your own will to recover form the ladder that will take you out of the hole and into the light.
Old January 12, 2003, 20:31   #40
FemmeAdonis
Prince

I didnt read all of it....but are you drinking a LOT of water..

if you arent getting plenty of water in your system, all the vitamins and proteins in the world aren't going to help you.

your body is composed of a large percentage of water....everything in you needs it to function properly.

if you become too dehydrated, everything slows down, including your brain...nervous system and what not..

if this is the case, try taking in more water..I mean 8 glasses a day and THEN some....

if you are drinking loads of water alreayd, it might be something more. check with a doctor, you might have some kind of chemical imbalance....:\

good luck, hope you get tp feeling better
Old January 12, 2003, 20:36   #41
devilmunchkin
Warlord

yeah...i drink water all the time
burned out might be it....working my butt off at college for the last few years has been stressful..and i've been working non-stop the whole time....but as far as that goes, i'll just have to suck it up and keep going. i don't have the luxury of burning out.
Old January 12, 2003, 20:39   #42
FemmeAdonis
Prince

and I was JUSt about to ask if you were plenty active..seems so..

how is your diet..maybe you need more carbs...

I know you arent one that needs to wtach their weight..a goo bowl of pasta once or twice a week might help ya

maybe...

shoot...get onlione and do a search on possible causes of fatigue. try webmd.com
Old January 12, 2003, 20:55   #43
Blackwidow24
Queen

Just be sure you are eating right, you need food for energy. You will make yourself really really sick if you are always running on "E". Not to mention all of the emotional stress you had dealt with . That alone can reak havoc on your immune system.
Old January 12, 2003, 21:09   #44
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

also, there's something to be said about a regular sleep pattern, i.e. always going to bed and getting up at regular times. even the time of day, and how much sunlight you're exposed to can trigger bouts of depression and other problems...
Old January 12, 2003, 21:10   #45
Blackwidow24
Queen

Really??? I had no Idea!!!!

YOUR SOOO SMART SELF!!!!!
Old January 12, 2003, 21:24   #46
devilmunchkin
Warlord

[joke]but i'm too goth to go out into the sun!![/joke]
Old January 12, 2003, 21:40   #47
Anodyne
Prince

Local Time: 16:09
Correct with depression/sunlight.
You'll see it in effect if you ever live a year in Finland (or some other place as north) - summers are nice and all, but when the days are getting shorter and the winter's on its way, people will become collectively depressed - some less, some more.
There's a term kaamosmasennus for that. November/December is the worst time - It's like everyone you see had "F*ck off" labeled on their foreheads - or at least I often see it so, given my own general pissed-offness. I guess the winter affects me more than other people, then... maybe.
Old January 13, 2003, 00:36   #48
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

I don't think burnout is it. Burnout is more like not wanting to do any school-related work at all, but has the time and energy to do other things (e.g. games).
Old January 13, 2003, 01:00   #49
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 09:09
DM, you're a full-time student, right? Your college should have a medical center on campus, already paid for by your tuition.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 13, 2003, 01:00   #50
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Quote:
[joke]but i'm too goth to go out into the sun!![/joke]
Hmmm?
An aversion to sunlight? Do you also, by any chance:-
Happen to like sleeping in a box about, oh, say 1.85m long by 0.90m wide and 0.65m high, rather than a bed?
Have a couple of puncture marks on your neck that didn't used to be there?
Have a sudden extreme aversion to crosses, holy water and garlic?
Watch the latest Buffy episodes with the fervent hope that the blonde is going to finally get her just desserts?

I might have an idea...
Old January 13, 2003, 06:41   #51
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Quote:
yeah...i drink water all the time
burned out might be it....working my butt off at college for the last few years has been stressful..and i've been working non-stop the whole time....but as far as that goes, i'll just have to suck it up and keep going. i don't have the luxury of burning out.
Well, itīs your life. But sometimes you have to just say no and take some time off. They say itīs better to burn out then to fade away, but thatīs a load of crap IMO. There is no shame in giving up (for the time being, that is) if you canīt cope with the situation. But on the other hand, I suppose this IS a luxury one canīt afford in a country without a social security net that catches you if you should fall (like we have in Sweden).

But I would say that burnout is the most likely candidate here. All the symptoms match and you have been under very much stress lately, as you say yourself.

Just my 2 cents...

UR, if youīre burned out you donīt have the strenght to do anything, really. Not even fun stuff. The energy is drained.
Old January 13, 2003, 11:58   #52
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
i rarely have caffeine...no coffee and i rarely drink soda. i drink mostly juice, water and sometimes milk.
i just got OUT of a really bad depressive state..very very bad.
i feel better today..still a little sluggish but not anything like yesterday.
maybe it's just me being tired from being physically sick..i had acute bronchitis and a urinary tract infection all at the same time two weeks ago.
Sounds like me a week ago. I was tired all week. I just got over being sick twice as well and dealing with a lot of stress. Once I got back on my schedule and started exercising again, I felt fine.
Old January 13, 2003, 12:04   #53
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

devil , have you done a bloodexam yet in the mean time

have a nice day
Old January 13, 2003, 12:16   #54
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Nothing beats a blood test to check for a whole bunch of nutritional things or hormonal/chemical imbalances so I'll have to repeat the "see the doctor" advice. Only after you have eliminated those should you jump for other (psychological) causes.

You mention sleepiness but do you also have the type of bone-tired fatigue that makes it difficult to climb a set of stairs or walk any distance? I'm thinking mono which I had at about your age. I lived on the third floor and had to stop 2-3 times to rest on the way up and eventually had to take about 4 weeks off from university .
Old January 13, 2003, 12:52   #55
devilmunchkin
Warlord

flubber: no
believe it or not, i found it impossible almost, to sleep last night......i was up because my mind just wouldn't stop....odd huh?
as far as our medical clinic, the visit is free, but all tests have to be paid for as well as prescriptions......so...maybe i'll go when i get some money...
Old January 13, 2003, 13:57   #56
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

devil , have you done a bloodexam yet in the mean time

have a nice day
just to make sure
Old January 13, 2003, 13:59   #57
DaShi
Emperor

dm, you're not tired. It's the rest of the world. It's too energetic.
Old January 14, 2003, 06:07   #58
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
flubber: no
believe it or not, i found it impossible almost, to sleep last night......i was up because my mind just wouldn't stop....odd huh?
as far as our medical clinic, the visit is free, but all tests have to be paid for as well as prescriptions......so...maybe i'll go when i get some money...
hi ,

héy

this could be a signal for a bigger problem , spend the money , explain the doctors you are short on it , any good doctor shall understand this , so get that exam , ....

have a nice day