Local Time: 16:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Re: Signal Noise Ratio
Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic

Here here! *Applause for WB*
hi ,

seconded

now can we just leave the insults and talk with some wisdom , ...

thanks , and oh , ideas are just ideas , they are most of time based on ones own experience or experience that is exchanced , ....

how long have people been asking for a gold reserve , right since the second day of the game , and we still dont have it , ....

at least the president we have know knows that one and one equals two , he saves money for this or that a couple turns down the line , ....

have a nice day
Old January 13, 2003, 09:30   #32
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

1000 Lytons in reserve = good idea
Making a bill about this = bad idea
Old January 13, 2003, 10:00   #33
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
hi ,

, the bill could serve as a buffer for a government who would want to spend the 1000 at ones , ......

some people shall say we dont need a bill because each person shall see the benefit , others shall say its a waste of the money laying there , even if it gives fifthy gold per turn , .....

have a nice day
Old January 13, 2003, 12:16   #34
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 09:11
I agree 100% with Spiffor.

There are occansions where dipping below 1000 for a key improvement will pay for itself within 10 turns.

(Especally Hospital rushes combined with joining of 6 workers to the city.)

Quote:
Old January 13, 2003, 12:55   #35
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
I agree 100% with Spiffor.

There are occansions where dipping below 1000 for a key improvement will pay for itself within 10 turns.

(Especally Hospital rushes combined with joining of 6 workers to the city.)
hi ,

and one way to prevent the dipping below the one thousand mark is to get more , thats why we should have something like two thousand or more , ....

imagine we get a surprise attack from a species , then we can use the intel agency for lets say emergency spy missions if needed , ...

have a nice day
Old January 13, 2003, 15:35   #36
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:11
I don't think you understood what I was trying to say panag, not the other way around...

You say lets save up to 2500 lytons. I'm saying, "why on earth would we want to stop there?". Why put a ceiling on our profits?

We're going to want as much money as possible. 1000 lytons is the MINIMUM it takes to gain the 50 lytons-per-turn with Wall Street.

After that, imagine we are starting at ZERO, even though we have 1000 lytons in the bank. The 1000 lytons is NOT for touching, ONLY for helping our gpt stay where it is and we maximize our profits.

Anything BEYOND the minimum amount of 1000 is preferred. OF COURSE 2500 lytons is better than 2000.

I say why not go for as much money as we can?

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. There's no need to limit ourselves, but we should limit our SPENDING so we know we'll get that 50 lpt...
Old January 13, 2003, 17:09   #37
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 10:11
We don't need a bill for this. The government will keep the money in the bank, unless there is an advantage not to.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old January 14, 2003, 05:57   #38
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
I don't think you understood what I was trying to say panag, not the other way around...

You say lets save up to 2500 lytons. I'm saying, "why on earth would we want to stop there?". Why put a ceiling on our profits?

We're going to want as much money as possible. 1000 lytons is the MINIMUM it takes to gain the 50 lytons-per-turn with Wall Street.

After that, imagine we are starting at ZERO, even though we have 1000 lytons in the bank. The 1000 lytons is NOT for touching, ONLY for helping our gpt stay where it is and we maximize our profits.

Anything BEYOND the minimum amount of 1000 is preferred. OF COURSE 2500 lytons is better than 2000.

I say why not go for as much money as we can?

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. There's no need to limit ourselves, but we should limit our SPENDING so we know we'll get that 50 lpt...
hi ,

indeed we should try to save what we can , we should get banks everywhere

the first real thing we should do is to make sure that each town has what it needs , so for the moment we should invest in our civilization , thats why a limit is suggested for now , .....

imagine if we turn some big cities on wealth when they have everything we need in them , .....

have a nice day
Old January 14, 2003, 05:58   #39
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
We don't need a bill for this. The government will keep the money in the bank, unless there is an advantage not to.
hi ,

some shall say its okay to go as low as 700 this turn , ..... ( example ) thats why we should try to prevent it

have a nice day
Old January 14, 2003, 17:14   #40
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

we don't even have wall street yet, Panag.

If we did have wall street, the government would see if it would be beneficial to dip below the 1000 gold.

Anyway, when did anyone say we can go as low as 700 this turn?
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old January 15, 2003, 00:31   #41
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
we don't even have wall street yet, Panag.

If we did have wall street, the government would see if it would be beneficial to dip below the 1000 gold.

Anyway, when did anyone say we can go as low as 700 this turn?
hi ,

" ( example ) "

have a nice day
Old January 15, 2003, 14:04   #42
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:11
Re: Pre-bill: 'National Gold Reserve'
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
As soon as the small wonder Wall Street is built, we'd need a treasury of 1,000 gold or more to make maximum use of it. I suggest that we define the last 1,000 gold in the treasury as a national gold reserve, and order the government by law to keep at least 1,000 gold in the reserve at all times, with the exclusion of emergencies, defined by the president, where some of the national gold reserve needs to be spent.
I haven't read this entire thread, but now that my ISP is working properly again (about time! ), I'll respond to this.

Shiber, I like the idea here, but it faces what seems to be a critical flaw in implementation.

The President is ALREADY the person (so far...) who makes all of the decisions on rushes and upgrades. Telling the President he has to keep 1,000 gold in reserve, but telling him he can (at his discretion) declare a situation to be an emergency and dip into that 1,000 gold reserve seems to be a completely meaningless rule.

Perhaps restrictions should be placed on what the President can call an "emergency"?
Old January 15, 2003, 14:43   #43
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Hi Arnelos.
Thanks for your comments on my proposal, but I have already abandoned it, having been convinced that it was too restrictive and unnecessary. There are some other supporters to this proposal though, perhaps they'd like to respond to your arguments.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old January 15, 2003, 17:51   #44
Panzer32
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

" ( example ) "

have a nice day
Example?? OK: There is 1040 gold in the treasury. Rush a bank that costs, say, 80 gold, saving, say, 6 turns (low produciton city). Building a bank gives 10 extra gold. First turn: 960 gold, 2 gpt lost, 10 gpt gained through bank. A net of 8 gpt for 6 turns = 48 gold. This does justify going under 1000 gold. It does not make up for the 80 gold for the rush, but it does allow to ust 6 more turns of production (This is the real reason for rushes).

Of course, this does not happen too often, but when it does, it would be nice for the president to be able to do it without a whole hunk of legal mumbo-jumbo (junk).
---------
May God Bless.
Old January 15, 2003, 17:52   #45
Panzer32
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
Hi Arnelos.
Thanks for your comments on my proposal, but I have already abandoned it, having been convinced that it was too restrictive and unnecessary. There are some other supporters to this proposal though, perhaps they'd like to respond to your arguments.
Great, Shiber! You have seen the light!
---------
May God Bless.
Old January 16, 2003, 10:13   #46
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Example?? OK: There is 1040 gold in the treasury. Rush a bank that costs, say, 80 gold, saving, say, 6 turns (low produciton city). Building a bank gives 10 extra gold. First turn: 960 gold, 2 gpt lost, 10 gpt gained through bank. A net of 8 gpt for 6 turns = 48 gold. This does justify going under 1000 gold. It does not make up for the 80 gold for the rush, but it does allow to ust 6 more turns of production (This is the real reason for rushes).

Of course, this does not happen too often, but when it does, it would be nice for the president to be able to do it without a whole hunk of legal mumbo-jumbo (junk).
hi ,

and ones again this is a good example of why we should have more then one thousand , ....

have a nice day
Old January 16, 2003, 16:28   #47
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:11
We don't NEED an example on WHY we should have more than one thousand. Doesn't EVERYONE want us to have more money? Why do we have to prove that we need more than that?

Geez I thought this stuff was self-explanatory.

BTW, I don't support this bill, too restrictive, for those of you wondering....
Old January 16, 2003, 19:01   #48
lmtoops
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:11
Quote:
Dito

1000...Yes
Bill....No