Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 16:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Juggler
so Santa finally made it to Denmark, eh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
It's pretty easy to make a map look good. Hell, it'd probably be hard to make one look bad simply because the graphics are so good. It's jsut geting them in sync with the neighbouring areas which is tricky, I'm starting to get the hang of it though.
Well, that was what I ment...

Just one question: When there's a briefcase above a house, does that mean they're unemployed? If that's the case, then why is there always people who wants some more residental buildings, but no industries/commercials who wants to build in my city (Well... almost never)
Old January 13, 2003, 19:56   #32
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 08:14
What I don't get is why so many people move into areas that don't have any police, fire, or education systems.
Old January 13, 2003, 20:36   #33
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 06:14
If they didn't move in, what would they have to complain about? I've noticed for years that sims are professional complainers.

John-SJ
Old January 13, 2003, 21:54   #34
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I've spent a couple hours now on the game and I can't say I'm too impressed.

I found it pretty boring...
Old January 13, 2003, 22:00   #35
vonManstein
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
I've spent a couple hours now on the game and I can't say I'm too impressed.

I found it pretty boring...
I hope you saved the receipt so you can return it to the store.

edit: shyte, I can't speel
Old January 13, 2003, 23:17   #36
Joseph
King

Local Time: 07:14
I have it and watching the intro movie.
Old January 14, 2003, 00:51   #37
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 10:14
NEED GAME!

I'll have to get it tomorrow .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 14, 2003, 01:25   #38
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:14
Damnit! I want the game!

*must control yourself, plenty of exams next week*

Game!
Old January 14, 2003, 02:37   #39
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
*drool

I doubt it'd run on my computer, though.
Old January 14, 2003, 08:49   #40
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:14
What is your computer? I have a pIII 500, Geforce2MX and 128 SDRAM - Does not run well with all the graphics on, but you can essentially turn the graphics off and it'll run fine.... the game just looks like ****, though.

It turns off all the "extra" graphics so instead of having houses with fences, gardens, and all the other things that make it look like an actual property, you just got an ugly little house right smack in the middle of an empty lot. Parks are just green patches with a lightpost in them. It really destroys the game if you ask me, I don't even know why they made it an option.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 14, 2003, 11:33   #41
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 15:14
If it´s really good, I am going to buy a new system, to play Sc4 and Medieval TW.

REVIEWS!!!

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old January 14, 2003, 13:22   #42
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
If it´s really good, I am going to buy a new system, to play Sc4 and Medieval TW.
It's more diffecult to get started now than it was before (in earlier SC games). You don't just plop down a few buildings, you need to carefully consider what to build, and where to build it...and when...

Playing with disasters is fun (specially the meteor disaster ), since you now can control them...

I like the idea about having to fullfill some goals before being able to build certain buildings (like you need lots of farms to build farmers market, high education to build University, etc)

If you're looking for a challenge (and great graphics ), then this is the game...

And since this is a Maxis game, they proberly will make addons to the game, so the game will be playable for a longer time (If you like this type of games)

I upgraded my system, because I knew my old computer would have trouble running the game, and I haven't regret

Last edited by Adagio; January 14, 2003 at 16:05.
Old January 14, 2003, 16:45   #43
Cookie Monster
King

Would anyone else please provide some detailed reviews.

I am interested in hearing some detailed reports on gameplay, UI, fun factor, etc.

Thanx,
Old January 14, 2003, 18:06   #44
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 14:14
And some more pics as well...

Any nice disasters?
Old January 14, 2003, 19:12   #45
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Got hte game today, and have been playing for most of said day. Graphics are great, gameplay is smooth, and most of the new concepts are fairly understandable. Making a city profitable seems a very daunting task, and the multi-city region is something I have to work on.

However, the manual sucks. The old SC3000 manual was a nice hefty 200 pages of in-depth explanation. The Simcity 4 manual is about 20 tiny pages of actual content, none of which is particularly useful. I guess this is EA's way of trying to get us to plunk down another $20 for a strategy guide (which looked quite detailed when I purused it at the store.) Screw you, EA.
Old January 14, 2003, 19:41   #46
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

So has the game been released officially now? I remember with warcraft3, and civ3, gamespot and ign got reviews up on the same day as the games were released. Now, it is about time, and they don't even have the news that the game hit the shelves...

And where is that new web-site Maxis promised to open on the 14th?
Spore page
Old January 14, 2003, 23:28   #47
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I got it today.

I've only played it a little while, but I am very impressed with the graphics so far. It didn't take me long to get used to the new UI.

Now all I have to do is balance the city budget.
Old January 15, 2003, 07:51   #48
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vovansim
And where is that new web-site Maxis promised to open on the 14th?
It's online now

There's a tips and tricks section, and a few new articles, a new video (Haven't seen it though, since it's easier to just start the game )
Old January 15, 2003, 17:35   #49
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ZargonX
However, the manual sucks. The old SC3000 manual was a nice hefty 200 pages of in-depth explanation. The Simcity 4 manual is about 20 tiny pages of actual content, none of which is particularly useful. I guess this is EA's way of trying to get us to plunk down another $20 for a strategy guide (which looked quite detailed when I purused it at the store.) Screw you, EA.
That's very interesting and good to know. I felt the same way for EA's MOHAA's manual. Very skimpy. Screw all the software companies that are looking to squeeze all the money out of us. Evil greedy captalists!
Old January 15, 2003, 18:57   #50
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
That's very interesting and good to know. I felt the same way for EA's MOHAA's manual. Very skimpy. Screw all the software companies that are looking to squeeze all the money out of us. Evil greedy captalists!
I think that would be the case for most games nowadays. I remember over on the Sierra forums, about three-four months ago, when they released Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, everybody was complaining about the fact that the printed manual was just 20 pages long, and the extensive manual - over 100 pages, I think, was in the PDF format. There was this one Sierra guy, who said that the stores requested that they put their games in small boxes, so it's not their fault that a normal manual doesn't fit in... Don't know if that's true or he just said that to divert attention, but either way that's just wrong.
Spore page
Old January 15, 2003, 23:09   #51
Kc7mxo
King

so, has anyone had any luck attracting high tech industries? I've got my sims education in the 130s, and my city is getting kinda big. Demand for the HT industry has skyrocketeed, and I can't figure out what they want! Stupid manual is like a flip folder, I can't find anything in it.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind. A friend helped me figure it out. Apparently you just use industry zoning in areas which are appealing to High Tech industries.

Last edited by Kc7mxo; January 16, 2003 at 02:06.
Old January 16, 2003, 10:51   #52
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

You mean people actually reads the manual? The last time I read a manual, was the one included with Civ2... I only read it because I was bored...
Old January 16, 2003, 15:13   #53
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
You mean people actually reads the manual? The last time I read a manual, was the one included with Civ2... I only read it because I was bored...
Oh yeah, there's nothing like a good manual to a good game.
Old January 16, 2003, 15:15   #54
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:

I think that would be the case for most games nowadays. I remember over on the Sierra forums, about three-four months ago, when they released Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, everybody was complaining about the fact that the printed manual was just 20 pages long, and the extensive manual - over 100 pages, I think, was in the PDF format. There was this one Sierra guy, who said that the stores requested that they put their games in small boxes, so it's not their fault that a normal manual doesn't fit in... Don't know if that's true or he just said that to divert attention, but either way that's just wrong.
Yeah that's part of the reason but the other part is that software companies are trying to maximize their profits as much as possible at the consumers expense. That is wrong as well.
Old January 16, 2003, 22:55   #55
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich

Yeah that's part of the reason but the other part is that software companies are trying to maximize their profits as much as possible at the consumers expense. That is wrong as well.
At least short term..., stupid 'cause IMO this is the single weapon against piracy...
Old January 16, 2003, 23:01   #56
vovan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
At least short term..., stupid 'cause IMO this is the single weapon against piracy...
Yes, I have to agree: adding goodies to the box with the CD is the only thing that can really be done against the pirated versions. And they are cutting it short themselves...
Spore page
Old January 17, 2003, 00:01   #57
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Quote:

That sounds like a plausible explanation, except for the fact that Neverwinter Nights, which came in one of those tiny boxes, had a nice thick manual of 200 pages. Sounds like people making excuses, to me.
Old January 17, 2003, 09:32   #58
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:14
The new box size is principally down to the retail trade. Standardised DvD cases are easy to stack and you can fit far more games in a given shelf/storage space. Games companies that want to find a way round the manual difficulties have all found ways to do so. Either by producing boxes the size of double-thickness DvD's or by compressing the manual. Only including 20 pages and blaming it on the retailers is laziness.
Old January 17, 2003, 11:57   #59
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Blame the small boxes. It is hard to place big manuals in them.

At the same time, they probably just beefed up the tutorial and decided they really didn't need a manual.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 17, 2003, 14:38   #60
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
[q]
At the same time, they probably just beefed up the tutorial and decided they really didn't need a manual.
That's probably ok with action games, however with strategy games a detailed manual beats out any tutorial in terms of learning all the nuances of a game.