yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 10:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
LOL! Excellent advice!

--Good to see you guys, by the way--

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old January 29, 2003, 11:34   #122
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 16:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
You can be nice to your sims immediately but it will harm your ability to expand since it definitely cripples your budget
It makes it more diffecult, to get a city running
Old January 29, 2003, 13:35   #123
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:14
Yes its a bit of a black hole effect. If you're on the wrong side of the expenditure curve you're going to get sucked in to your destruction. I like teetering on the edge adjusting all my outgoings to trim another $100 off the budget somehow just knowing that if I can survive a few years suddenly a new generation of happy, healthy well educated and increasingly well paid sims will be living in my city and paying taxes. It appeals to me more than running hicktown. All slums must be eradicated!
Old January 29, 2003, 15:00   #124
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I also enjoy the fact that money is hard to come by in the early game. Adding to the effect is the need to make sure you've zoned for where your sims' abilities are NOW. You've got to raise up sims who are educated enough to land jobs in the white collar world. And until that point, the white collar jobs never even bother visiting your town.

So you really do feel a sense of accomplishment as you guide the town through this careful balancing act.

Old January 29, 2003, 20:37   #125
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

I think there is a also a point at which you need to sit back and just let your city coast for a while. I got up around 25,000 pop, making about $1000 a month, and felt I was in pretty good shape. Foolishly, though, I tried to make my city better immediately, and blew my money on new neighborhoods, schools, hospitals, etc. Suddenly my $1000 went down to $200, and new demands were cropping up.

In retrospect, I think that once you reach a stable point with a high income, you should just let the game run for a good stretch and build up your treasury before trying to expand. Anyone else tried this?
Old January 29, 2003, 21:04   #126
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 08:14
I only have done this once... I resolve to do this every time I get a sizeable income, but never have any patience and try to squeeze every simoleon out of that budget surplus. That results in a sudden jump in the population, and when I happily sit back and see that there is still +100 a month left, the people start rushing in, use up all the electricity, and water supplies, flood schools and hospitals, and wreck havoc on the streets. Thus, I see he advisors pulling their hair out, and the doctors and teachers demonstrating on the streets instead of working. Sure enough, I raise their pay, import more electricty and build that water pump. But at the next glance at the budget, I go

Yeah, that's what rushing will do for you.

But yeah, I was able to sit back and watch the stuff once. I was building up a neighborhood, and noticed that there was tremendous demand for high-tech industries, and high-wealth commerce (the sims in the neighboring city were complaining that their heads were swelling due to the overabundance of brains ). So, I switched away from the budget tab, and built up a nice big block of high-tech, and dense commerce. As I'd never seen either of those before, I was pretty pre-occupied watching the new buildings crop up for several years apparently. (Time flies on maximimum zoom-in. ) When I switched back to the budget tab, I saw a nice profit of 2.5K a month, and 121K in reserve. Then as I looked over the rest of the city it was in pretty good shape, too. The absense of the mayor did not hurt it any.
Spore page
Old January 30, 2003, 07:14   #127
Grumbold
Emperor

Yes I think you only hit problems if you go sightseeing after setting up something that can expand itself into imbalance. If you've zoned medium residential and have lowrise towers on the land, zoning a new bit of industrial and then watching it grow won't hurt. If you've zoned high density then the game can suddenly pop 3 huge towers on that land and your demand for schools and services in that area mushrooms. The first I knew about that problem was when the teachers and doctors went on strike simultaneously. They were perfectly well funded last time I looked
Old January 30, 2003, 11:40   #128
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Controlled growth is exactly the point. Not only controlled, but targeted growth. As you note, too much growth in the wrong sectors will kill your economy in a matter of minutes.

This is the strategy required of the game, and this is what makes it far more than an interactive Photoshop session!

Old January 30, 2003, 13:16   #129
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Does anyone know why I can't make deals with my neighbour anymore? In my present region, I have two cities: City #1 is the residental/commercial city while city #2 is the industry city... until now, I have had a good deal with city #2, where city #1 sells water... lots of water, but suddenly the deal is off, and I'm not able to make it again, because of this, both my cities are in trouble: None of the cities has any cash, because of the lost deal, city #1 is now running towards red, while city #2 has no water (and without water, the industry is killed)

I have checked everything, the water-connections are still ok (and I have a garbage deal running), and city #1 has now very much water... unused water, while city #2 doesn't have a single drop of water...

Does anyone know what could be wrong here?

I have tried to run my city #1 for many months by now, but still no chance to make the deal

Last edited by Adagio; January 30, 2003 at 13:21.
Old January 30, 2003, 13:30   #130
Grumbold
Emperor

Not sure ADG. There have been posts on the official player-help forums but I've no expertise myself. I do know you have to be careful to make sure city A has a positive income to create the deal at first and city B has a lot of surplus power/water. It may be that with both going negative you cant re-establish it.

You could try cutting services to give yourself a positive income, then delete the connection on both maps then reconnect again. That may trigger the deal option.
Old January 30, 2003, 14:44   #131
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Working from memory on this answer:

First, the buying city needs to have an entire year's worth of cash to cover the deal at the time of signing. Also, both the buying and selling cities need to have X-amount of need/surplus.

Old January 30, 2003, 14:47   #132
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

[...found this answer on the BBS...]

There seems to be an enormous amount of people who have trouble initiating Neighbour Deals, so here's the requirements, plain and simple...
1. There must be appropriate Neighbour Connections (Power Lines for power, Water Pipes for water, Roads or Highways for garbage), these connections must be linked within BOTH cities.

2. The selling party must have a surplus of the resource greater than the minimum deal amount of 1,000 units. ***!!!

3. The buying party must have enough money in the treasury at the deal's inception to cover ONE YEAR, not Month, YEAR, of the deal. It also appears that negative monthly income (no matter the amount) also negates the initiation of a new deal. I'm not sure on this one, however.

4. The buying party must have less of the resource than his projected need (120 percent of current usage).

**!!! - minimum deal amount of 1,000 units
This is a frequently forgotten/unknown requirement. The buying city must be in NEED of at least 1,000 MWh/month of extra power - 1,000 cu m/month of extra water - or 10 tons of garbage disposal. So for power and water deals, you're not gonna get 'em with a little town of 100 people, the city needs to be short at least 1,000 units or 120% of what it's currently producing on it's own.

Old January 30, 2003, 14:54   #133
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Thx Yin... I believe the problem is the money, since city #2 has less than $1,000...
Old January 30, 2003, 17:35   #134
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Hmm I am trying to build a this double town...

1 area with commercial/housing
1 area with heavy industry

(I all zoned it to $50 a tile, had plenty of money anyway, one hundred mill/area)

Thing I was hoping to have those cities function simultaneously, so my housing increases, and so more factories in the heavy industrial zone..

Now apprently they don't evolve at the same time, I have to leave the region and go to another area allt he time... now my question is, how the hell am I supposed to make a good economy then, if I have to switch over every time to get some new factories when my population becomes unemployed, and when I need some more workers for my factories!!!!!!

I just think it isn't practical, also, because one zone only has industry tax, and the other one only has pop tax (the commercial tax is negligable, lol, i have some medium shops but mainly small ****, so there goes my expensive zoning ) I can't make any decent money, also my population doesn't seem to ever use the train to work! so no revenues there, and another thing, i thought goods from factories have to be carried to the commercial district to be able to sell them.. or how the hell do you export goods then? in any case, my train isn't used for transport of goods either!!!)

anyhow I am now in a position I can't do nothing, my house city only makes 100 a month, and the industry loses 500 a month (i do have a shitload of cash left there though), but nothing in my house city actually grows, in other words: I don't get the point of the game... why does one half become stone mansions, and the others stay meager bungalows and they have the same education and stuff!
Old January 31, 2003, 08:22   #135
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Don't zone with the $50 zones at the beginning, since you need about 30,000 sims before they build in the height...

About the industry zoning, I have the same problem (~$500 too short)... does anyone have a solution to this?

And about cities now growing when playing an other city is good. How would you expect other cities to grow, while playing one city? You want the AI to build roads/zones?
Old January 31, 2003, 10:29   #136
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
why does one half become stone mansions, and the others stay meager bungalows and they have the same education and stuff?
Remember that people are moving into your city all the time ... uneducated people. Also, children are not born without Ph.D.'s.

The people in the mansions are the ones who have grown up in your city using education to work their way out of the bungalows. The ones IN the bungalows are tyring to work their way up, and you need BOTH sets of people. The rich and edcuated will open/staff higher-wealth businesses while the poorer and less educated will open/staff lower-wealth businesses, which are particularly important at the start of a city's life.

Later on you can begin to zone higher density lots that will push the poor and less educated further and further out from the city. It is precisely at that point that connecting to a new city full of factory jobs makes sense.

Old January 31, 2003, 22:42   #137
Joseph
King

Local Time: 07:14
I cannot not build any cloverleaves or get a highway to pass over or under another highway. What do I have to do?

In an Industrial City, do you have to build any schools to improved the Industry to I2 or I3?

How many tiles between Bus/Railroad/Subway stations?
I'm using 7 at the moment.

Every time I have tried to use the My Sim person the game crashes. Has any body else had that problem?
Old January 31, 2003, 23:07   #138
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Well, here we go:

Quote:
The crash with MySim is related to the bonus CD. If you have installed the bonus CD and have moved a MySim into your city, crashes are likely. We will have a patch available soon that fixes this issue. Deleting the file called Plugin_007_AirForceBase.dat from the Plugins directory found in Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\Plugins is a quick way to avoid the crash.

http://simcity.ea.com/help/faq.php
You have to completely cross both highways over each other in order to make the cloverleaf intersection available
If you already have one long stretch of highway in place, simply drag another stretch across the first stretch (Make sure both stretches are long enough). When dragging the second stretch across the first stretch, you should see a blue line form along with the yellow, if you don't, make the first stretch of highway longer. If there is a blue line when you release the mouse button, the game will ask you if you'd like to build a cloverleaf exchange there or click cancel to just build an overpass.

Concerning the higher indsutry levels - no, level I2 does not require education. It is dirty industry, and as someone here said, dirty, and smelly sims work there.

There is also some level of Manufacturing industry - which you might be referring to. I am not sure, but I think it does require some education. I mean, it requires education, but I am not sure how much.

I3, on the other hand, also known as High-Tech, requires plenty of education. you will not only need elementary schools, but also high schools and possibly a library.

As for transportation, I never counted the number of squares, but seven seems about right, I guess, in a dense residential area.
Spore page
Old January 31, 2003, 23:11   #139
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:14
Actually, I don't think you need to have educated sims living in the same region to get high tech industries, just having sims that are looking for high tech jobs in a connected city should be enough.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 31, 2003, 23:29   #140
vovan
Emperor

Yes, absolutely, that's the beauty of regional play. If you have educated in the same region, but not necessarily in the same city, who can commute to the industrial places (you must have a good transportation system for that. In fact, nothing can improve that as much as highways in my experience, but they are a pain to build and maintain), then you can even build high-tech in less developed areas. But remember that high-tech are like your residents - they don't like pollution, but want high desirability. And they make you a TON of money, too.
Spore page
Old January 31, 2003, 23:35   #141
Joseph
King

I thank both of you.
Old February 1, 2003, 01:43   #142
cinch
Warlord

Balancing my budget is definitely a challenge, but on my third try I was able to crack it.

I make about 400 a month, only, and my population fluctuates from 5000-7000.

My main problem is that I basically only have high demand for Agricultural tiles. Everything else is negative or neutral. So I kept building farms, and now my entire city map is almost filled with farms (and a good, but disproportionate, amount of res and med ind)... It stagnates my economy, but all the RCI meter wants is more, more, MORE farms!

Feh. I did get some High Tech Indy going for a while, though, and I didn't need any education for it.

OH, also, I get large unemployment spells quite often, but they still never develop the medium industry tiles fully... They still just want farms, which (usually) only employ a small number of people!

It's challenging for sure, but I like it.
Old February 1, 2003, 04:29   #143
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

700 MHz
128 MB Ram
Intel Integrated Graphics

Should I sell SC4?
Old February 1, 2003, 06:22   #144
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

No, you should upgrade your computer
Old February 1, 2003, 08:26   #145
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
700 MHz
128 MB Ram
Intel Integrated Graphics

Should I sell SC4?
I don't know about the integrated graphics, but I can run it fine with the same amount of ram and a slower processor. You'll just need to turn off shadows, sims, and cars. Zooming in and out will still take a bit, though. (when it auto-zooms me to a fire, it's often burnt it self out before my computer is done loading. )

Do It Ourselves
Old February 1, 2003, 15:41   #146
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
No, you should upgrade your computer
No
Old February 2, 2003, 07:28   #147
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Check out the screenshots here:

http://home.new.rr.com/larzgames/screenshots.htm

(read the info on the second screenshot)
Old February 2, 2003, 13:24   #148
vovan
Emperor

Ummm... Maybe I am a little slow today, but I don't see any bugs on the second screenie. Occupancy? Well, yes, it is 3211 / 3346. Last time checked, 3211 was less than 3346. So that's fine. Though the building shows two levels of wealth instead of three, but it doesn't mean that it will be half-empty or anything, just that less wealthy sims live in it...
Spore page
Old February 2, 2003, 13:27   #149
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vovansim
Ummm... Maybe I am a little slow today, but I don't see any bugs on the second screenie. Occupancy? Well, yes, it is 3211 / 3346. Last time checked, 3211 was less than 3346. So that's fine.
Isn't 3200 people in one tower block rather a lot?
Old February 2, 2003, 15:26   #150
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I haven't seen any residental-buildings in real life, that has room for 3200 people... well, not buildings of that size anyway...